PDA

View Full Version : 2013 marathon

kgoulash
08-12-2012, 07:21 AM
Hi all,
My hubby just registered for the full marathon in January. I'm excited to see everything that will be done in fantasyland! Can anyone tell me about the crowds during this time, the weather, best plan for the parks? We are planning a 5 day stay and I know the kids will want to visit all four parks. This will be our first time in January and our first Disney marathon.
Thanks in advance for all info 😄

A Big Kid
08-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Keep in mind my experience is based upon arriving the day before and staying the week after.

Crowds-very manageable. Most waits were less that 25 minutes. Watch out for the Brazilian Tour Groups, though. We rarely made use of fastbpasses. Walk-ups at table service restaurants was entirely possible except at the most popular locations.

Weather- no telling. In 2009, weather for the marathon his the low 80's. In 2010, temps never got above freezing during the run and never got above the 60's for the week. The last two years there temps were more "normal" but plan on at least a light jacket when the sun goes down.

BigThunderFan
08-22-2012, 05:41 PM
I agree that you can't plan on the weather. Bring layers and jackets/sweatshirts for the early mornings/evenings. Some days are very pleasant and others can still be darn hot!

Crowds are very nice, but you may see some tour groups, especially after Marathon Monday. Most people at least stay that long after the race. Crowds pick up again Friday for the holiday weekend and will be similar to spring break on Saturday/Sunday (from my spring break experience anyway).

Enjoy the marathon, it's very fun! Try to have some fastpasses ready for when he finishes the race, and be sure to bring a change of clothes for him so you don't have to go right back to the hotel immediately after. But don't do any rides where he sits too close to strangers :ack:
:D