PDA

View Full Version : Buffets - not eating with family?

Harkleroad
08-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi! We will be traveling in Oct. and have all of our ADRs made. Several are at buffets - Chef MIckey's, Ohana's, Arkersush. There are 2 adults and 2 children, and we are on the dining plan. Is it possible to sit with my family at these locations but not actually eat with them? The reason I ask is that I am suffering from some severe digestive issues. I am unable to swallow almost any food or drinks. As you can imagine the result is not one that I want to experience in public. :ack: My doctors are at work trying to correct the issue but this has been on going for years but is extreme as of late. I hate to waste table credits if I am unable to eat or drink anything. Is this allowed? Thanks for the help.

Itchy
08-10-2012, 10:17 PM
I dont know that it would be an issue. If you go to one of the food courts they wont make you leave if you arent eating.

If there were a question just explain that you have a medical issue and you cannot eat due to it.

If you have reservations it would be a table for your party and does not say anything about what or how much you will eat. Well that is my opinion.

Hope it helps and you get better soon..:mickey:

CosmicRay
08-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm sure they wouldn't allow you to stay. But also, I know when we've made ADR's online, they have a place where you can request special foods for your dietary needs. I would think that you could call ahead and request a certain dish that you can eat.

Hope your doctors are able to help you soon.

buzznwoodysmom
08-11-2012, 12:01 AM
I have a question for OP. If you are on the dining plan aren't you going to lose/waste those credits anyway? If your family uses their credits at the buffet while you don't eat with them when will you use that credit? What will you eat at non buffet meals? Seems like the dining plan will be a waste for you either way. Paying over $50 a day for a person who can't eat much isn't something I'd want to do. Maybe I read your original post wrong.

missastrocat
08-11-2012, 12:39 AM
I'm so very sorry about your health issue. My father sometimes experiences this issue and it's not fun for him either (and he loves to eat when he can). I would call the reservation line and ask because I would question when you put in a reservation, I would think you would need to say 4, but knowing that only 3 people are eating. I think they need to know the numbers more for the seating arrangements more than the actual number of tickets to charge. I'd double-check with the ADR hotline though to be sure.

gardenia
08-11-2012, 07:19 AM
The dining plan is a losing proposition for you - your family would be better off paying OOP. And DDP or not, it's not reasonable to ask to be seated at a buffet but not to pay. Especially character buffets where entertainment is clearly part of the price. I would cancel the buffets altogether and book some of the other nice venues at Disney. Why make it harder on yourself by having to explain personal health issues every where you go?

Harkleroad
08-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Thank you for your responses. I think I am going to call and ask. We have free dining so I it is not actually costing me to dine other than we upgraded from the quick service. I thought that if I wasnt' charged the credits then I could let my husband use them for additional meals if he likes. When I made ADRs six months ago the issue was not this severe. It is not a question of menu. I literally eat almost nothing. On a good day I eat a small yogurt and possibly a cup of soup. I have lost 35 lbs in less than 8 weeks with no exercise or surgery. Although the weight loss is a plus it is not a method I suggest. Right now I am working with a new doctor so I am praying for a solution. I would love some disney dining. Thanks again for your responses.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-11-2012, 09:41 AM
I believe as long as others at the table are eating you would not be asked to leave. And if all you can have is something like yogurt or soup even if it is clear soup I am sure they would be happy to serve it. Hopefully by trip time you can eat more. I would still make them aware about your concerns like seasoning and I am betting fiber (once had a similar problem) they can make dishes special for you. Good luck and hope you feel better. :mickey:

VWL Mom
08-11-2012, 10:10 AM
You may want to try contacting special diets for the official word and explaining the situation to them. Their email is:
[email protected]

Pirate Granny
08-11-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm sorry you are having a rough time, but I'm fairly sure at the buffets, if you are sitting with the group, you will have to use a credit. Table service dining you will not be charged if you don't order anything, but buffets are different. I've heard conversations with restaurant managers and guests who "aren't planning to eat, just watch" due to a variety of reasons, HOWEVER the outcome was always the same...you sit, you pay. You may want to change your ADRs. Also, most chefs will tell you what you can eat if you have specific needs (my dad could have ZERO salt), but at buffets they will usually not prepare anything special, but rather take you through the buffet to explain what you can eat within your requirements. Table service chefs will prepare a meal made to order, so you may want to change some ADRs. Please call ahead so the chefs are aware of a food issue. Good luck and hopefully they'll be able to identify your problem soon.

CosmicRay
08-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I am sending you a private email, I hope you will read it.

magicofdisney
08-11-2012, 01:08 PM
At the minimum, you will need to let your server know of your situation. One year we went for the buffet at Cape May. My son had just come down with the flu and we didn't realize how bad he was feeling. He literally sat there the entire meal with his head on the table. He never took a sip from his drink and his plate remained empty the whole meal. The server saw this and still brought us the bill, including his portion. Like you, we were on free dining. However, the automatic tip for his uneaten meal was included in the bill.

Gator
08-11-2012, 02:53 PM
The server saw this and still brought us the bill, including his portion. Like you, we were on free dining. However, the automatic tip for his uneaten meal was included in the bill.

Saw that one coming a mile away.

Harkleroad
09-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Thank you to everyone who offered feedback. I spoke with the special line for dietary issues. I was told that since it is a medical condition (not a weight loss surgery) that I can bring a note from my doctor. Then I would have to speak with the manager at each location and it would be up to the manager. They were very considerate of my situation but I hate to have to go through an explaination at every meal. That being said I went ahead and changed out Chef Mickey's for the Grand Floridian Cafe and am looking to change out Arkursush. I kept Ohana's for my DH though. At least at regular places I can pay out of pocket if I think I can handle something and give my husband my credits or order and give him a midnight "leftover" snack. I have another test tomorrow so here's hoping for a resolution. Thanks for all your help.

ElenitaB
09-04-2012, 08:26 PM
I can tell you that at 1900 Park Fare, if Chef TJ is working, he will prepare a special meal (even if it's just soup) for you. So if your family is set on dining at a buffet, this would be a good one to chose.

Hope you're feeling much better by the time your trip comes. :pixie:

awaggett
09-05-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm so sorry about your condition and hope you find a solution!

This might not help you, but just in case...

I have a shellfish allergy--usually I am fine and don't make a big deal about it. My mom mentioned it to the waiter at Boma and the chef came out and walked the line with me to point out what I could/could not have. Additionally he offered to make me anything I saw that had shellfish, without. He was super nice. He made our family a special dessert too (not that we needed it with zebra domes!).

sorarail
09-05-2012, 07:51 AM
I empathize completely. My mother had the same issue. Hers was a symptom of the autoimmune disease she had. We gradually learned what her trigger foods were and would avoid them. Basically, for her, it was no spicy and no starchy foods and she had to chew every bite thoroughly.
It was always worse when she was stressed.
I hope you are able to find out what's going on in your situation and that you will be able to overcome it.

mydisneygirls
09-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Sorry about your condition. I have somewhat of the same issue and mine is due to acid reflux. Believe it or not, this can cause you to not be able to swallow or drink anything. This happened to me once and I ended up in the hospital. I am now on Omperazole (SP?) and if I don't take it, I have problems. I hope they accommodate you. I remember years back when we used to visit DW with my niece (she has muscular dystrophy, in a wheelchair and on a vent so she is tube fed), they still made her pay for character meals because it was "entertainment." How outrageous is that????? It's not like she, or you, would be taking a seat someone else could sit at....you're sitting with your family at the same table. I hope your new doctor can find the cause and you are feeling better soon...and before your trip.