PDA

View Full Version : What is the draw of Epcot?

Lizzie
08-10-2012, 09:03 PM
I am just wondering what makes Epcot such a popular park on the discussion boards. We are going in November for a short time and Epcot seems like the park we will spend the leaast amount of time at. Test track will be closed, Mission Space makes me sick, we have Soaring over in Disneyland so I have done that plenty of times, will take a quick walk through the living seas and than head over to walk through the countries. But we have road the ride in Mexico and Norway and never had a strong interest in the movies.

I am trying to figure out what I am missing. That I should do that I haven't.

EpcotFan182
08-10-2012, 09:19 PM
It's okay if you don't have Epcot at the top of your list, people love many different things at WDW for different reasons. Personally, I love Epcot because it's one of the most unique places I've been to and I love the ideas it represents!

I majored in the sciences in college so I'm drawn to the pavilions of Future World and the themes they represent. I love both the entertainment of them and the things they teach; I've found this especially apparent in the Universe of Energy and Living with the Land.

I love World Showcase because (1) it's probably the closest I'll get to traveling abroad in a while and (2) just the whole idea in general I love just exploring, looking in the shops, eating the food, and talking with the CMs. I don't feel the hustle and bustle of the other parks when I'm in the WS and find it very relaxing.

Those are just a couple of the many reasons I love Epcot! Have a great trip!!:mickey:

SBETigg
08-10-2012, 09:23 PM
It's a matter of personal taste, I think. I could happily spend days in World Showcase. I love sampling the food and drink, and spending time catching the vibe of each country, people-watching, taking in the shows and performance events in each country. I also love Future World, even just walking around and taking it all in. If you don't get the appeal and you're more attraction-oriented, that's cool. Some of us love different things.

Kairi_7378
08-10-2012, 09:25 PM
While Epcot is one of my family's favorite parks, I can see why it might not appeal to everyone. The nice thing about WDW is that there is so much variety, so the chance of finding something that you love is pretty high.

As for us... My husband and I are both engineers, and I also studied architecture in college. I have spent hours taking photos in the World Showcase. Sampling foods around the WS is one of the first ways that we've been able to introduce the concept of other countries to our son.

CosmicRay
08-10-2012, 09:45 PM
We went twice with two other families and neither of them had an interest in Epcot. But for us, our family LOVES it! We could ride SSE many times and see new things we haven't seen before. We love the fountain, the countries, our kids are looking forward to trying out the new Agent P game. Our kids also love Kidcot and seeing the greenhouse at the Land.

Again, as said before me, it is just personal interests. We usually bypass AK all together when we go, but others would find that crazy.

Itchy
08-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I kind of like it as it seems that of all the parks it is the most laid back.

By that I mean you can move from attaction to attraction, or you can find a nice bench and just watch the people go by.

My lady friend and I enjoy getting a light snack and sitting in the shade and take in the sites of the World Show Case, Future World, and the lake.

We go there almost everyday and we have most of our ADR's there also.

22 days and counting, hope this helps explain..:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
08-11-2012, 12:15 AM
I think Epcot, WS specifically, is a place you either "get" or you don't. My kids are 10 and 12 and Epcot is my 12 year old's favorite park,and my 10 year old's second favorite park. I have lots of friends whose kids think Epcot is boring.

They love so much about Epcot. Of course we love Soarin, TT, MS, and SSE. My kids also love Club Cool (as simple an attraction as it seems). My oldest could spend hours in Innoventions and the exit area of SSE. He loves all those interactive games. We even enjoy watching the fountains dance to the music.

WS is one of our favorite places in WDW. We love wandering and exploring all the countries. The kids really enjoy the interactive game. It used to be Kim Possible, now it's Agent P. We try to "eat around the world" at least once on each trip. Instead of sitting at one location for a full meal, we hop from country to country sharing small snacks or meals. This makes visiting the countries even more interesting. We also enjoy all the movies, but I get that not everyone is into that.

You may not be missing anything. It just may not be the park for you. That's the great thing about WDW, there is something for everyone.

DisneyDawgette
08-11-2012, 12:30 AM
EPCOT is totally a required taste! If you're not into the whole learning/science part of Disney, and the countries aren't up you're alley, then this is definitely not the park for you. I'm a nerd, and therefore EPCOT is my favorite park, but many people could take it or leave it!

And many people will probably completely disagree, but Journey Into Imagination with Figment is one of my favorites. I know it's changed a lot over the years, but that purple dragon gets me every time! Also, Spaceship Earth is a staple, and it's always the first ride my family does at Disney! These, along with ALL of World Showcase, are enough to ensure that I keep coming back! :figment:

HackLaSalle
08-11-2012, 12:38 AM
My fiance and I love EPCOT. I can see how it's not for everyone. But like everyone said I feel that one of the biggest appeals of EPCOT is World Showcase. Eating and drinking in what you are told is food close to the cultures' home cooking is a cool experience. The shows are incredible... EPCOT is a great park, much like Animal Kingdom, to take your time and enjoy slowly. You can find so many hidden things like the aforementioned Club Cool (one of my favorites). I think that EPCOT gets a bad wrap for all the :beer: and :marg: and :ack: but it's so much more than that. I enjoyed the Living With The Land ride so much more than I thought I would, it's definitely a park to give a try when you're looking for a more relaxing Disney Day.

Lizzie
08-11-2012, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the responses.

jenperich
08-11-2012, 07:39 AM
We love the fountain, the countries, our kids are looking forward to trying out the new Agent P game.

What's the Agent P game?

dnickels
08-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Engineer here too and I'm sure that's a big part of the reason I've always enjoyed Future World. The technology, the educational aspect, though some of that is a bit watered compared to 20 years ago. Also as mentioned it's nice to grab a drink and just sit in some of the countries and view their shows or performers.

Dopey's Girl
08-11-2012, 01:45 PM
I love all the details of Epcot. World Showcase is one of my favorite places just to wander. All the details, both in and outside of all the pavilions are endlessly fascinating to me.

I also love all of the food options...mmm now I'm hungry!

Gator
08-11-2012, 02:33 PM
I have a question for you: have you ever stayed to view Illuminations at the end of the day? Some of my friends who don't like Epcot told me they've never seen Illuminations. To me, it really ties the whole park together somehow.

I love all the details of Epcot. World Showcase is one of my favorite places just to wander. All the details, both in and outside of all the pavilions are endlessly fascinating to me.

I also love all of the food options...mmm now I'm hungry!

You hit it perfect, Dopey'sGirl! I like to wander through perfect replicas of international places, and then stop to take in some international entertainment - if I have time and if I want. It's the perfect stroll.

And the food there is exceptional. I love all the different things I can try.

Ian
08-11-2012, 02:41 PM
I suspect for some who love Epcot it's more that they love what Epcot used to be as much as it is they love what's there now.

I enjoy the overall atmosphere of Epcot more than any other park ... even MK. For some reason the landscaping, the architecture, the background music, the fountains ... it all comes together for me. I honestly could spend an entire trip just wandering around Epcot, people watching, and soaking up the atmosphere and that would be enough for me.

But the truth is, from an attractions standpoint, it's really gone downhill. Future World is a bare shadow of what it once was and WS has never really had that many attractions to begin with. Although I personally love Impressions De France, American Adventure, and any time spent in the post-show area of the Maelstrom shopping in the Helly Hansen store. ;)

TheVBs
08-11-2012, 04:03 PM
We love Epcot for many reasons. We love The Seas, the girls are fascinated by all the life in those aquariums. One of my favorite things to do is the Living with the Land ride. It's amazing and I love seeing the Mickey shaped produce. The girls always have a blast at Innoventions and love the Figment ride. The fountains are beautiful and really have that Disney magic. We do enjoy the rides there, but not as much as the atmosphere. Walking the World Showcase is peaceful and beautiful. And Illuminations is a wonderful ending to it all!

We try to "eat around the world" at least once on each trip. Instead of sitting at one location for a full meal, we hop from country to country sharing small snacks or meals. This makes visiting the countries even more interesting.

I love this idea! We're going to try this next time. Thanks! :mickey:

darthmacho
08-11-2012, 05:48 PM
What I love first and foremost about Epcot is the dining. One of the first things I start thinking about when I plan a trip is which World Showcase restaurants at which I will make ADRs!

I also like exploring World Showcase in general, and seeing all of the entertainment.

Future World can really use some revamped attractions, but I love Spaceship Earth, the Land, Living Seas, Test Track, and Mission Space Pavilions. Imagination and Energy Adventure could probably be updated, and something could be done with Wonders of Life. I have no interest in anything that goes on inside Innoventions.

Overall, I think the food is the main attraction at Epcot. :mickey:

BigRedDad
08-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Some of the older people will understand this acronym: Every Person Comes Out Tired. This is what my group of friends called it when we grew up going there. Epcot is different things to different people. I think there are 2 types: people either love it or hate it.

I can do it in about a day and that is about all I can take. It is fun and my DD will try doing Agent P to make it more enjoyable. Character ops are her favorite thing there. You can see some characters there that you won't see any where else. The only one I can think of is Mushu and the kitten in France (forgot the name).

Disneylover99
08-11-2012, 09:20 PM
My kids are 8 and 5 and Epcot is their favourite park. Why? I don't know, they can't really articulate it. For them it's just magical.

Crow
08-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Epcot is my fav.
the countries, which i wont get to see in real life,:beer::marg:, which u cant do in MK. diff attractions, not just dark rides, hub and spoke..its more open, not as many kids. Fantasyland is always so crowded that i cant get on t few rides i want to.
true it needs more, and isnt always kept up. but represents a global melting pot. well it didnt end up as Walt originally envisioned, it still has some of that.

Tink#64
08-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Epcot is my favorite park! A family of four, my boys have enjoyed Epcot since they were 4 & 6! Now as teens, they ask as soon as we arrive in WDW which days we'll be in Epcot! This is also the favored park of my 36 year old brother (he visited the year it opened!) & my 70 year old mother!

There's just so much to experience here, we always split it up into two days, one day park opening arrival for the Future World Section, staying until about 2 - 3 pm & a seperate day with a mid afternoon arrival staying for the nightime spectacular - "IllumiNations: A Reflection Of Earth" culmination at 9 PM, which, btw, is my absolute WDW night time event! We enjoy all of FW, with Test Track & Soarin as our fav's, but just have to throw in there "Journey Into Your Imagination With Figment" - silly but still fun to us! And every single visit to Epcot - we HAVE to stop in at Club Cool for taste testing all those soda's from various countries! The watermelon beverage from China is my fav! Be sure to try Beverly! ;) I love all of the grounds of Epcot, the landscaping, the topiaries are just awesome, the music, the performers - The Jammitors are so cool! If you don't know what they are - do a search - just fun!

Our second Epcot day is all about The WS, wow what a great relaxing day, but the sights & sounds are just so very cool! We thoroughly enjoy shopping, snacking & ;) drinking our way "Around The World"! I think this is one of everyone's favorite Disney days for sure! Visiting all the various countries' pavillions & talking with the cast members that work there - all of whom are from that country, wow - always so interesting & neat! There's too much to do it all in one day so every trip we pick a different show that we've not seen, but we always have to ride the boat rides in Mexico & The Maelstrom in Norway is fun, fun! After we've made our way around the lagoon & seen "The World" we pick our spot for the nightime fireworks show over the lagoon. But this is no run of the mill fireworks display, this is AWESOME! What a show! And the music score - wow! I have one part of the score as my ringtone on my cell phone! :)

I had not even planned to visit Epcot during our first visit when my boys were only 4 & 6, (I thought the kids would be bored!) but my husband & 6 yr old insisted that they wanted to go & I'm so glad that i listened to them!It's hard to put into words the unique magic of Epcot, the unique atmosphere & design, educational & fun at the same time all mixed into a lushly landscaped park, Epcot is definitely enjoyed by all in our family! :thumbsup:

texas211
08-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Don't forget about Living w/ the Land and Spaceship earth..

I have to admit, the science is kinda lost w/o some of the old pavilions or attractions (horizons, cranium command, old Journey, World of Motion) so its not really the science motif. But for me, its the nostalgia of what it was, with a few new'ish fun rides (TT and Soarin) and as an adult I enjoy the World Showcase more (Mex, Norway, Japan, Germany and America) being our favorites.

SO its an acquired taste like Scotch or Cigars. BUt like those, something to be appreciated for what it is.

lawgirl
08-13-2012, 07:55 AM
I think it totally depends on your personality and interests! Epcot has always been our favorite park, but we've always been really interested in science, learning, and international studies. And my undergrad is in History and Art History, so I love SSE...it's my favorite ride in all of WDW. I could ride it 15 times and not get tired of it! My mom grew up on a farm, so we all love The Land pavillion, and my dad grew up scuba diving, so he love The Living Seas. I also love the background on all the different countries, and we LOVE the food. To us there is nothing better than strolling around the world at dusk, sampling different foods and wine, and learning something!

But, it's definitely a personal thing. If you don't like it, then don't waste time there! You gotta do what you love:mickey:

azcavalier
08-13-2012, 09:38 AM
I suspect for some who love Epcot it's more that they love what Epcot used to be as much as it is they love what's there now.

I enjoy the overall atmosphere of Epcot more than any other park ... even MK. For some reason the landscaping, the architecture, the background music, the fountains ... it all comes together for me. I honestly could spend an entire trip just wandering around Epcot, people watching, and soaking up the atmosphere and that would be enough for me.

But the truth is, from an attractions standpoint, it's really gone downhill. Future World is a bare shadow of what it once was and WS has never really had that many attractions to begin with. Although I personally love Impressions De France, American Adventure, and any time spent in the post-show area of the Maelstrom shopping in the Helly Hansen store. ;)

Epcot has certainly become my favorite park, and I don't know if I can put my finger on why it is. It's not what it once was....as it really hasn't changed much since we started coming to WDW ten years ago. All of those nostalgic rides, such as Horizons, Dreamfinder, etc, were already gone. I love it for what it currently is. SSE and Soarin' are some of my favorite attractions in all of WDW. But it's not the attractions, per se, it's just everything about the park. I love the soundtrack to Future World. I love the architecture of both parts of the park. I love all of the WS pavilions, and the culinary options. The performers in the WS are also great. Epcot just speaks to me, individually.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Personally I love Epcot. My favorite part is WS...it has great food, unique shopping and is like a permanent world's fair. I really love the atmosphere, to me the pace at every other land in Disney is so fast like you are trying to run from ride to ride but in WS its more about relaxing and soaking up the culture.

Lizzie
08-13-2012, 02:15 PM
I have seen illuminations. Though I think this I have had the hardest time finding a good spot to watch this show.

2Epcot
08-13-2012, 03:11 PM
It's a matter of personal taste, I think. I could happily spend days in World Showcase. I love sampling the food and drink, and spending time catching the vibe of each country, people-watching, taking in the shows and performance events in each country. I also love Future World, even just walking around and taking it all in. If you don't get the appeal and you're more attraction-oriented, that's cool. Some of us love different things.

EPCOT is totally a required taste! If you're not into the whole learning/science part of Disney, and the countries aren't up you're alley, then this is definitely not the park for you. I'm a nerd, and therefore EPCOT is my favorite park, but many people could take it or leave it!:figment:

But the truth is, from an attractions standpoint, it's really gone downhill. Future World is a bare shadow of what it once was and WS has never really had that many attractions to begin with.

I agree with all these statements. Epcot has been my favorite park since we first went in 1985. Though as Ian said, so much has changed since then.

Epcot is always a two day park for us, on every trip. For those who are only into rides, I can see how Epcot could be boring, but Epcot has always been so much more for us.

Epcot is still my favorite WDW park ... Probably the main thing that keeps me coming back to FL, Other wise, I'd just enjoy the Disneyland Resort.

Tygger7
08-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Best relaxing spot for Illuminations: Rose & Crown. Book dinner (right at the 180 day mark) for 7:30pm or later. If you don't get seated outside, they still have a private area where you can stand. It's one of our favorite places to eat.

For us, it's just the whole, overall "vibe" of Epcot that we love. We end up eating most of our meals there, and it's just very relaxing. I could spend the whole day and never get on one ride and be perfectly content. We love WS and especially the performers at each country. Epcot also seems to handle the crowds the best of all the parks...no idea why, but it does. Been going since 1983 and while I miss some of the old attractions, I still have a deep love of current Epcot. :mickey:

puck292
08-13-2012, 03:34 PM
1. Food 2. Soarin. 3. TestTrack....my family's favorite park!