PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with a laptop???

disneymomma2010
08-09-2012, 10:51 PM
I have never traveled with my laptop before and I am thinking about bringing it on my next trip in a few weeks. It just makes me really nervous to think about it though. I just keep picturing it being crushed to pieces or something like that during the travel. So...how many of you bring yours and does it stay safe? :blush:

DizneyRox
08-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Carry on, and don't give to bell hops...

I've replaced my laptop with an iPad and now it's much easier to travel with.

Current pricing on laptops almost makes them disposable. Unless you're talking about a MacBook Pro or other high end laptop.

Itchy
08-10-2012, 12:42 AM
If you are flying I would take it as part of your carry on.

I bought a Toshiba Thrive table and took it on our trip last May. I will have it on my next trip in
Sept.

They can do most everything a laptop can do on the internet.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

faline
08-10-2012, 08:04 AM
I typically bring my netbook with me. It's small - not much larger than a tablet (tablets weren't available yet when I got my netbook). It does go in my carry-on luggage. It does need to be removed from the bag and placed into a separate bin to go through the security checkpoint. If I take it out of the case in our resort, I can typically get it into the room safe.

I would not recommend putting it into your checked luggage.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-10-2012, 09:16 AM
I bring my laptop with me, and it travels with me (ie. no checked baggage). I've never had any issues, either on the trip, or while at Disney.

thrillme
08-10-2012, 09:41 AM
We do it all the time. Invest in a well padded laptop case.

If flying...do NOT check it in. I like keeping it under the seat as opposed to in the storage bin at top (nothing ***** more than some moran who comes in after you put your stuff in bin and shoves their 200 lb carry-on on top of YOUR stuff :mad: or squishes it in).

I've never had a problem with my laptop. In fact on the plane or in the car...it was great for passing time, watching movies or playing games.

BUT my ONE recommendation before traveling with a laptop any where, at any time is...before you leave home...back it up, back up all pictures and documents...and clear password files.

Crow
08-10-2012, 12:08 PM
took my laptop i got earlier this yr (my first lap) on last trip in backpack..no problems w security just took it out, then under seat on plane in backpack..i was gonna get a a case for it...in one way i wish i had, as when i was standing at t rental car desk it fell out onto the pavement, luckily just chipped the corner and it still works.

Lindsey310
08-10-2012, 12:58 PM
My Husband and I used to travel with a lap top and now we have replaced that with an iPad. Much smaller and easier to carry on. Always carry on and no worries about leaving it in the room, always safe in WDW!

ahhhh 19 days and counting! Helping me get through the workweek daydreaming about going! :mickey::joy:

BigRedDad
08-12-2012, 05:52 AM
I have to travel with a laptop where ever I go because of work. My dept at work has been decimated by the economy, we have no backups, and you are responsible for your work even while on vacation. We have highly confidential material, government contract data, and other information that needs to be protected.

#1 Carry on. It is the only way to go. I have my wife go through TSA first, then send it through so she is on the other side to receive it.

#2 I have never had an issue with it in the rooms. I do have to cable lock it to something in the room, but that has not been an issue either. Cable locks are only about $15.

steamboat willy
08-12-2012, 09:19 AM
We take iPad. We have My Disney Experience loaded. Also contacts has all our addresses for postcards, emails etc...for family.

Claudielou
08-12-2012, 10:40 AM
We have taken a laptop every year since 2007. We put it in a backpack for laptops, which also had room for my DH's medication and our books. We are changing to an iPad this year. Just tired of hauling that big thing around, but we never had any problems with damage. It's a pain at the airport, since we always had to take it out of the back pack. Looking forward to something smaller and easier to carry!:mickey:

Kairi_7378
08-12-2012, 11:17 AM
We do it all the time. Invest in a well padded laptop case.

If flying...do NOT check it in. I like keeping it under the seat as opposed to in the storage bin at top (nothing ***** more than some moran who comes in after you put your stuff in bin and shoves their 200 lb carry-on on top of YOUR stuff :mad: or squishes it in).

I've never had a problem with my laptop. In fact on the plane or in the car...it was great for passing time, watching movies or playing games.

BUT my ONE recommendation before traveling with a laptop any where, at any time is...before you leave home...back it up, back up all pictures and documents...and clear password files.

I travel somewhat frequently for work, and the above is exactly what I do when I fly or take the train.

I also recommend making sure everything in the laptop bag is as organized as possible. Once I held up the security line because I had to repack my laptop bag because all of my cords and iPod fell out. VERY embarasing!

disneymomma2010
08-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys. I guess alot more people travel with their laptops than I realized. I will just make sure Im careful with it and bring it along. And Im not going to be flying, we will be driving.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
08-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Since you are driving - no worries. We even leave ours set up on a desk in the hotel and have never had it taken. Just password protect the sign in screen and invest in a padded case or sleeve for it. We've been traveling with laptops since 2001 and use them to dump our digital photos at the end of the day every day. An ipad won't let us do that.

BrerGnat
08-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Since you are driving - no worries. We even leave ours set up on a desk in the hotel and have never had it taken. Just password protect the sign in screen and invest in a padded case or sleeve for it. We've been traveling with laptops since 2001 and use them to dump our digital photos at the end of the day every day. An ipad won't let us do that.

Us too. We've never locked up our netbook or anything in the room. We just leave it out. We password protect the sign in screen and it's great to be able to clear off our digital photos from the camera's memory card every day. That way, we don't have to worry about what would happen if we lost the camera.

DizneyRox
08-16-2012, 09:38 AM
We've been traveling with laptops since 2001 and use them to dump our digital photos at the end of the day every day. An ipad won't let us do that.
You sure about that?

The camera connector should allow you to access your memory card, and there are quite a few apps that will let you move files around on the iPad.

I can access ALL my files on my home network from anywhere I have Internet connectivity with my iPad. I've copied pictures around, files, edited Office Documents, even watch movies stored on my file server in my hotel room 2000 miles away.

As much as I didn't think my iPad could totally replace a laptop. With the right app(s) and some time learning how to do things, it really can.

Check out FileBrowser, QuickOffice and Dropbox for starters...

brownie
08-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Just password protect the sign in screen and invest in a padded case or sleeve for it.

That's probably not enough. With a portable version of Linux, files on your Windows computer can be accessed, even if you have password protected accounts. You need to make sure no sensitive data is stored on the computer or if it is, it's encrypted.

DizneyRox
08-16-2012, 06:29 PM
That's probably not enough. With a portable version of Linux, files on your Windows computer can be accessed, even if you have password protected accounts. You need to make sure no sensitive data is stored on the computer or if it is, it's encrypted.
Hey, you're giving away all our best secrets! Don't tell them about the back door!

Seriously, making a bootable CD or bootable USB stick is trivial and will allow access. I have a few that I use for PC recovery when people mess up their machines sufficiently. Mostly to run malware/virus scanning, but a few tools will even reset passwords, etc. Good stuff...

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
08-17-2012, 09:14 AM

I guess I don't think about that because I dump most of my most 'private' files on my external hard drive before I leave on vacation with my laptop. No passwords stored on my computer, etc.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
08-17-2012, 09:16 AM
You sure about that?

The camera connector should allow you to access your memory card, and there are quite a few apps that will let you move files around on the iPad.

I can access ALL my files on my home network from anywhere I have Internet connectivity with my iPad. I've copied pictures around, files, edited Office Documents, even watch movies stored on my file server in my hotel room 2000 miles away.

As much as I didn't think my iPad could totally replace a laptop. With the right app(s) and some time learning how to do things, it really can.

Check out FileBrowser, QuickOffice and Dropbox for starters...
Yep - we cannot access our home network from outside our home - all related to husband's work stuff. And an ipad doesn't have enough memory for the amount of photos my digital camera obsessed family takes during vacation. (All large format because we enlarge, print, edit, etc.)

Disney Doll
08-20-2012, 07:57 AM
I bring my laptop for photos as well. I have been able to make due with the tablet so technically I don't have to bring my laptop, but using a tablet for that job is honestly more trouble than it's worth. Plus, my laptop has the photo software I like best. Granted I take a lot of pictures so maybe for the average person a tablet would suffice.

I can't recommend a TSA compliant laptop backpack enough. Mine zips open kind of like a book. Laptop never leaves the bag. Makes airport security so much easier. Plus, on our last trip we heard security paging for someone who had left their laptop at the screening checkpoint. With everyone trying to hurry and all the stuff you have to screen I bet that happens fairly often.