PDA

View Full Version : Eating in Germany for the first time

Hull-onian
08-09-2012, 03:42 PM
How is the buffet in Germany? We have never eaten there, and it is our first time. We are only a party of three, so I expect it is going to be a lot of fun. How was your experience and was the food okay? Thanks

Crow
08-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Ive eaten there a few times over my trips, never a first choice, usually because a friend liked buffets. was there in June ...well the :beer:was good. food seems to have gone downhill some. the oompah band still has some of the same performers and they are pretty good.
you are seated at long tables so mayb sitting w others.
enjoy it though and let us know wat you think afterwards.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-09-2012, 04:17 PM
We really enjoy it; it is a "must-do" for us each trip!

The food is good, very German (of course), but yummy. It is meat heavy (my daughter says they have 10 kinds of "hot dogs"), with potato salad (hot and yummy), salads, other veggies I can't remember and the usual kid's fare. The dessert is my favourite part.

You will be seated with other people, but that is part of the fun. We've had some great people who we chatted with all meal, and others who just said hi and ate on their own.

Auntie B
08-09-2012, 04:29 PM
We really liked it and were seated next to a very friendly family when we went. SOOOO MUCH FOOD! Good stuff and the deserts were amazing. Loved everything about it!

EpcotFan182
08-09-2012, 04:39 PM
The last time I ate at the Biergarten was in 2010 and we had a wonderful time! The food was good, a nice selection with a number of things. A lot of hot dog and sausage varieties, but I thought there was enough that everyone could find something they want. We really enjoyed the entertainment, they played bells and these really long horns! Note you sit with other parties. We sat with a young family and a guy on a business trip. We actually had a great time talking with them, it turned out the husband in the family went to school in Albany, NY close to where I went to college and the guy there on business went to the same college my mom did! It made for some great conversation. I'm sure you'll have a great time! :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
08-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Really really LOVED the food and the desserts were phenomenal!!! :cloud9: hope that you get a good table of strangers! that's the only iffy part is whether or not you get talkative friendly folks or not. But we had a great local couple with us which was a ton of fun! and loved the entertainment show!!!

SBETigg
08-09-2012, 05:41 PM
The food is good, very German (of course), but yummy. It is meat heavy (my daughter says they have 10 kinds of "hot dogs"), with potato salad (hot and yummy), salads, other veggies I can't remember and the usual kid's fare. The dessert is my favourite part.

I think of it as "sausagecentric." It's good, but one of those experiences I only needed to do once. But I'm glad I tried it.

MNNHFLTX
08-09-2012, 06:18 PM
It's a good buffet--most of the dishes are fairly authentic (my mom was the best German cook ever and so that is what I base my opinion on), but the wiener schnitzel is tough as shoe leather! Probably under the warming lights too long. The do have some good salads. Try the hot German potato salad and cucumber salad (my favorite!)

wdwvacationeer
08-09-2012, 07:08 PM
We ate there in 2005 - we chose this because we like to try different restaurants at Disney-we have our favorites but like to try one or two new places each trip. Our family enjoyed it, although we have not eaten there since. The only thing that I remember being kind of awkward was that our rather large party (we have four kids) was seated with a couple who did not speak English AND had a camera on a tripod filming their whole dining experience. Every time one of the kids got up I was sure their filming was going to be somehow disrupted! It was a fun experience other than that.

Itchy
08-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I am glad to see this thread. My lady friend and I are going to be eating there on our upcoming trip.

I like most of the German foods but my lady does not like cabbage. I hope she will enjoy the food since she picked this restaurant to try.

It sounds like the entertainment will be good.

22 days and counting..:mickey:

Jayhorn
08-10-2012, 09:29 AM
This is our only "must do" restaurant. My wife LOVES German food, which they do well, and the atmosphere is fun.

SurferStitch
08-10-2012, 11:59 AM
It has become a must-do for me and DH. We tried it on a whim a few years ago, and have been going back every trip ever since.

The food is excellent. We just watched a special on the Food Network last week, and it showed how they make their apple strudel from scratch. It's a ton of work, but soooo worth it. It's amazing!

I love the fact that you have so many food choices. Yeah, they have a couple sausage items, but I don't really eat sausage much, and I still have a lot of choices (I love the schnitzle and hunter's gravy). Their fresh carved meats are great, and I love the fish options. Trust me... sausage is definitely not the main food item here.

DH and I love to each get a 1 liter beer while we're there. The Hovels is my favorite. I hope they have it again when we eat there on October 27th! :cloud9: Whatever you can't finish, they put in a to-go cup for you!

IamBelle
08-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I ate in Germany twice and really liked it. I love the potato leek soup, the german potato salad, spaetzle, schnitzel, potato dumplings, and the desserts are delicious! The only thing that was a little iffy was that you have to share a table with strangers. The first time I went there, my table neighbors were not very friendly, but the second time my neighbors were very nice. I also love this restaurant because of the atmosphere, the band is one of my favorite reasons to go, they are so fun!

PETE FROM NYC
08-11-2012, 01:06 PM
I have probably eaten in Germany more than any other TS in world showcase. I am half German so the food was not too foreign for my tastes, and was pretty good, too.
I am also half Italian, and let me tell you that there is no decent Italian food in the entire state of Florida.

Gator
08-11-2012, 02:57 PM
It does semm like an awful lot of sausage. I love sausage, but it can twist my Irish stomach quite a bit if it ain't done right.

lawgirl
08-14-2012, 11:33 PM
I went with a party of 2, and was REALLY nervous about being seated with the wrong group (read: loud, obnoxious drunk folks), but we were seated with 3 other couples that were so sweet, and we actually had so much fun sitting with strangers. The food was good...a little creamy and heavy for our tastes, but we enjoyed it nonetheless. The beer was really good, the atmosphere was so unique and festive, and the service was top notch. Our experience was really good, and I would definitely go back in the future. Hope that helps!

CuteAsMinnie
08-16-2012, 06:11 PM
My husband is half German so he really enjoyed and appreciated the food. Me, not so much. But I'll tell you one of the best experiences we've had in WDW was enjoying the BEST brat we've EVER tasted (along with an Ice cold beer) at the kiosk all the way in the back of the Germany pavilion. Outstanding.:beer:

Hull-onian
08-16-2012, 06:17 PM
It's my birthday to boot, and I understand they kind of make a fuss, specially if your wearing a birthday button. We can't wait to go, this is a place I have never been too for dining. I'm so looking forward to the trip........

mc mouse
08-17-2012, 08:21 PM
The huge mugs of beer :beer: are delicious, the food is great, and the ompah band plays polkas (which my grandchildren love to dance to). Life is good....Prost!

buzznwoodysmom
08-17-2012, 08:59 PM
I am loving reading these great reviews. We might be there in Feb. for my sons's birthday. He wants to be in Epcot and wants to try a new restaurant for his birthday. We were already leaning towards Germany, but these reviews may have sealed the deal!

Hull-onian
08-18-2012, 09:43 AM
I am loving reading these great reviews. We might be there in Feb. for my sons's birthday. He wants to be in Epcot and wants to try a new restaurant for his birthday. We were already leaning towards Germany, but these reviews may have sealed the deal!

I will post about how my birthday celebration went in my trip report. :party: Eight days and counting.........What's not to love?????

disneymom2000
08-20-2012, 05:22 PM
It's German food. Very authentic. You either like it or hate it. It is funny because I live close to two German communities here in Texas and people who visit the restaurants won't eat the food. I went to Germany two years ago and the food was the same to me there as it is here. And sauerkraut is not what you get out of a can. It is so much better than canned.