PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes an attraction?

DisneyGiant
08-08-2012, 09:20 AM
I am on the Disney Experience mobile app & they are listing Leave a Legacy as an attraction!

Yes I'm on there, but that is so NOT an attraction! in fact, I really wish they'd move those somewhere else......

What's your opinion? Any other things they list as an attraction but aren't?

BrerGnat
08-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Well, technically, anything you can visit and see, touch, explore is an attraction. But, that is practially ALL of WDW.

I kinda understand why it's listed, but I wish it would go away too.

Polynesian Dweller
08-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Well, it might help if the OP gives their definition of attraction. In general, the definition of an attraction includes more than rides. I tend to agree with BrerGnat about that. It's anything that attracts people. Some are lesser attractions, and Leave a Legacy is that, and others are major E ticket attractions. But all are intended to give you something to experience and Leave a Legacy does that.

SBETigg
08-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Leave a Legacy doesn't really bother me. We walk right by, but I understand that it has meaning for some people. I would say it's an attraction, but I definitely see this might not be an attraction by some definitions. If you're thinking of "attraction" as anything that attracts, then yes it is. But if you're thinking of attractions as ride or show experiences, then no.

So, other attractions that do not seem like attractions to me, by the OP's definition, would be the hopping water fountains of the Imagination Pavilion. The Streetmosphere performers in DHS (though they do add to the DHS experience). Or the Main Street trolleys in the MK. Though I do count the train as an attraction, so... hm.

DisneyGiant
08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Food for thought responses! Love it!

Fountains at Epcot - not an attraction - to me that's nice scenery.

Streetmosphere at DHS - definitely an attraction - people are performing.

Trolleys at Main Street move & you can ride them so yeah an attraction.

The statue of Walt & Mickey - not an attraction, but scenery.

So after this free form brain dump - Im classifying Leave a Legacy as "scenery."

:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
08-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks DisneyGiant, that gives us more to think about. I agree with the statue as scenery.

The Epcot main fountain puts on a choreographed show with music every few minutes. So to me its a show and thus an attraction. However, the hopping fountains at imagination are scenery.

Leave a Legacy certainly has scenery elements but also has all of the pictures of visitors. Grey area I suppose but I lean to attraction.

BrerGnat
08-08-2012, 12:48 PM
The Epcot main fountain puts on a choreographed show with music every few minutes. So to me its a show and thus an attraction. However, the hopping fountains at imagination are scenery.

Yes, but the Imagination hopping fountains are INTERACTIVE. You can play with them. You can get wet in them if you want. That's an attraction, in my opinion, similar to the water play areas elsewhere.

disneymom2000
08-08-2012, 02:16 PM
I think if it "attracts" the eye it is considered an attraction. Or if it is something sensory. Everywhere seems to be a photo op spot which is part of the "attraction" to Disney. :blush:

Main Street Jim
08-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Just some information for those who wish "Leave a Legacy" would go away...

These were put in as part of the Millennium Celebration. They're supposed to stay until 2025.

Melanie
08-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Ooooh, I love this! It's kinda like our ongoing podcast conversation 'what's transportation?'. :D

In my book, Leave a Legacy is NOT an attraction.

Aurora
08-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Ooooh, I love this! It's kinda like our ongoing podcast conversation 'what's transportation?'. :D

In my book, Leave a Legacy is NOT an attraction.

I agree, in the same way that the Walk Around the World bricks are not an attraction. I also wouldn't list the dancing water bloops near Imagination as an attraction, but I would the main Epcot fountain, because it's a regularly scheduled, choreographed show to music.

If every thing that Disney put in that "attracts" people was considered an attraction, then so would the lights in the Epcot pavement and the interactive drums in Animal Kingdom.

I guess my overall benchmark to call something an attraction is: Would people come to see/experience this if the rides weren't here?

Butters
08-08-2012, 04:12 PM
I view an attraction as something that people would stand in line to see... I don think there would be any more line for the legacy stones as there would be for the liberty bell in MK... So I would say not an attraction

Polynesian Dweller
08-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Yes, but the Imagination hopping fountains are INTERACTIVE. You can play with them. You can get wet in them if you want. That's an attraction, in my opinion, similar to the water play areas elsewhere.

Good point. Grey area again. Kind of scenery you can play with.

Main Street Jim
08-08-2012, 06:15 PM
I view an attraction as something that people would stand in line to see... I don think there would be any more line for the legacy stones as there would be for the liberty bell in MK... So I would say not an attractionDo you mean *the riverboat* "Liberty Belle", or the Liberty Bell across from Hall of Presidents?

Melanie
08-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Good point. Grey area again. Kind of scenery you can play with.

Eh. To me, those kind of things are part of any "theme" park. I'd classify an attraction as something you actually queue up for. Of course, I'm sure someone will point out something I missed in this category. ;)

DisneyGiant
08-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Eh. To me, those kind of things are part of any "theme" park. I'd classify an attraction as something you actually queue up for. Of course, I'm sure someone will point out something I missed in this category. ;)

I view an attraction as something that people would stand in line to see... I don think there would be any more line for the legacy stones as there would be for the liberty bell in MK... So I would say not an attraction

Agree with you both - while I get that the Epcot fountain moves to music - I certainly wouldn't wait on line to see it!

I classify that more with the extra magic concept.....

As far as Leave a Legacy is concerned - I'm ultimately ok with it staying there (only 13 more years eh) - but no way is that an attraction......

I guess the bottom line is that Epcot really needs more "real" attractions!

SBETigg
08-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I guess the bottom line is that Epcot really needs more "real" attractions!

Agreed! The whole Wonders of Life Pavilion just sitting there empty always gets to me a little. I wish something big and exciting could go there. And maybe some new WS countries could be added on, too.

darthmacho
08-09-2012, 01:18 PM
This may sound conceited, but to me it's only an attraction if I decide to visit it, everything else is just a fixture. ;)

azcavalier
08-09-2012, 02:30 PM

I think that this is it. It has to have a queue to be considered an attraction. Or at least a defined entrance and exit.

However, that said, this is one thing that no one does like Disney...the scenery. Even "interactive" scenery. The details, the thought, the imagination. Some of the things I love about Epcot is the scenery...I love the Fountain of Nations. I love the fiber optics lights in the concrete at the entrance to Innoventions. I love the science timeline thing between Innoventions and The Land.

And, you know what? I love Leave a Legacy. Maybe that's because i've never known Epcot with it. On our second or third trip, we created a tile, and we look for it every time we go back. Epcot is my favorite park, and since we didn't start going until 2002, Leave a Legacy has always been a part of it.

Polynesian Dweller
08-09-2012, 07:21 PM

So how do you classify the exhibits /galleries in American Adventure, Mexico, Japan, China,Morocco, the Stave Church in Norway? You don't queue up for any of them but they are clearly attractions. Just like shows in your local cities museums. Queuing up is only 1 type of attraction and not a sufficient criteria to distinguish attraction from non-attraction.

DisneyGiant
08-10-2012, 12:34 PM
And, you know what? I love Leave a Legacy. Maybe that's because i've never known Epcot with it. On our second or third trip, we created a tile, and we look for it every time we go back. Epcot is my favorite park, and since we didn't start going until 2002, Leave a Legacy has always been a part of it.

I never look at my tile. Why? Because its all the way at the bottom!!!! And these aging knees don't want to bend!

So how do you classify the exhibits /galleries in American Adventure, Mexico, Japan, China,Morocco, the Stave Church in Norway? You don't queue up for any of them but they are clearly attractions. Just like shows in your local cities museums. Queuing up is only 1 type of attraction and not a sufficient criteria to distinguish attraction from non-attraction.

I guess I classify them as exhibits / galleries - not an "attraction."

Been thinking about this - and I have come to the conclusion that an "attraction" in my mind is anywhere at WDW that is fast-passable (given the caveat that most "attractions" will now be on FastPass X or whatever it is they are calling it these days.......)

Thanks for the interesting discussion!

Melanie
08-10-2012, 12:37 PM
This thread and topic gets much discussion on the latest INTERCOT Insider Live podcast which we taped last night. You'll have to listen to see if we were all in agreement as to what constitutes an attraction. Indeed, great topic for discussion!

Gator
08-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I think that this is it. It has to have a queue to be considered an attraction. Or at least a defined entrance and exit.

That's where I stand. I started coming in 2002, so they fit into what I think of Epcot. It looks very futuristic and it's cool to see the thousands of faces "forever" bronzed on an Epcot attrations - including a picture of a young wife and me.

Attraction

Polynesian Dweller
08-10-2012, 05:23 PM
I guess I classify them as exhibits / galleries - not an "attraction."

But art galleries are attractions. They are on display to attract people to visit them. Same thing with the exhibits and galleries in Epcot. They are there to give people something more to do in the Pavillion than just shops and restaurants. Thus help the Pavillion attract more visits. That makes them attractions, attracting people into the Pavillion.

mechanic
08-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Had a cm tell me once the monorail is NOT an attraction.
It was a hot day and we rode the hotel loop three times.