PDA

View Full Version : Hot Hot Hot and no AC

Disney4us2
08-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Our AC finally died today. It was a 35+ year old GE. UGH... it is in the high 90's-100+.:fan: We have 2 companies coming out for quotes on a new AC. Of course, this couldn't happen last week when it wasn't so hot. Figures UGH.

Once ordered, how long does it take to get the new AC unit installed?

Any ballpark prices for a 5 ton unit? Just trying to get prepared for the sticker shock.

Now to set up the fans around the house.:fan::fan::fan:

cajundisneyfreak
08-07-2012, 04:06 PM
I know the feeling.Mine went out Sunday night.I spent the day Monday in my house which was 95 degrees.They came look at it Monday afternoon and they are installing it as I'm typing to you.Thank God !!!! You do not want to be in Southwest Louisiana in August with no a/c.The humidity alone is enough to kill you.Good luck to you.Hope everything works out.:mickey:

Disney4us2
08-07-2012, 04:10 PM
I know the feeling.Mine went out Sunday night.I spent the day Monday in my house which was 95 degrees.They came look at it Monday afternoon and they are installing it as I'm typing to you.Thank God !!!! You do not want to be in Southwest Louisiana in August with no a/c.The humidity alone is enough to kill you.Good luck to you.Hope everything works out.:mickey:

Glad you are getting your AC installed now. Hopefully we can get it by tomorrow or Thursday. It will be a long couple of days.

AllDisney
08-07-2012, 05:31 PM
I would imagine once you get your estimates you'll have it installed within a day or two. Most places do have units in stock:mickey:

Good luck. At least you don't have to deal with humidity like we do in the mid-Atlantic area.

greengeen
08-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Depends on whether you need an air handler too, but I'm guessing YES so I would say $4500.

Ed
08-07-2012, 10:01 PM
We had a just-barely-working unit replaced about 6 years ago. We also had the new one (Trane) moved to a different side of the house. It was installed the day after we approved the contract. Cost then was about $3000. One of the beauties of living in Florida is that all the A/C companies keep large stocks of all makes and sizes in stock, thus minimizing delays.

Disney4us2
08-07-2012, 10:35 PM
The first company came out right on time. He said we also need to replace the furnace. The estimate was a whopping $8,900.00. We told him we would get back to him.

The second company never showed up. I called them and they said they would make it tomorrow afternoon. No thanks.. not even a call to let us know they would not be there. Called Home Depot... they would have someone call back withing 24 hourst to set up an appointment... no thanks.

I called someone who has worked on our unit before. He is the father of one of Jessica's classmates. He will be out tonight or tomorrow and hook us up with someone to take care of the air. Tomorrow is supposed to be 107 here in the valley, and 109 on Thursday. Too HOT.

MNNHFLTX
08-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Boy, this all sounds very familiar. We went through the same thing about 1-1/2 months ago when our downstairs unit stopped cooling effectively. Fortunately it was still cooling, just not to the degree it should have. Got quotes from three companies (Lowe's called us back three days later to set up an appointment and it was like--too little too late!) We did go for the new furnace/air handler, as the one we had was almost as old as the AC unit (19 years) and the total cost for a 4-ton unit/air handler (Trane) was $8300. It was one of the cheaper quotes for a quality brand and the installation company got high ratings, so we are satisfied.

For a 5-ton unit (with the air-handler) I would say you'd expect to pay about $600 more than what we paid. So the $8900 quote is probably a reasonable number. IMO, the most important thing is that the company that installs is reputable and reliable (as it seems most ongoing AC problems come from how it's installed and not necessarily the unit itself).

Good luck. I can imagine how difficult it is to be without AC with those temps!

DizNee143
08-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Ugh I feel your pain..sorta..
Our AC is ancient..and this year is thee worse..I can get it to around 74/75 before it just stays running all day and lowly will just keep getting hotter through out the day! Of course it's a really bad summer this year. We are in the process of moving so we are just dealing with it. Thank god we have a window unit in the bedroom..best 100 bucks we ever spent on ourselves lol..
Goodluck..hope you get one soon!!! :mickey:

wdwfansince75
08-09-2012, 10:14 AM
On the bright side....the energy use between a 35+year old system and today's energy efficient units will amaze you...we replaced a 15 year old system, and saved over 30 percent on electric! Also, believe you will get a tax credit, to help offset the cost....

MNNHFLTX
08-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Also, believe you will get a tax credit, to help offset the cost....Nope, unless congress enacts new legislation, that tax credit expired at the end of 2011. There might be some rebates available locally though (electric company and/or state).

emerzmom
08-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I just wanted to say sorry! No a/c is no bueno! I hope it is all fixed soon!
:tink:
Julie

Disney4us2
08-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Just an update.... We have air again.

After some disapointing quotes and no shows, we called someone who has worked on our air before. He is the father of a classmate of my DD. He came out and looked it all over. We needed a new furnace and a new A/C unit. He was doing the work during his non-workday hours with the help of two others. The one company that did come out only to quote us almost 9K:ill:. Steve was able to get it all done for 5K.

The work began on Thursday at 7am and finished up at 11pm so we could get air that night. The furnace took the longest to install. We finally had our air again. The temps are still close to or over 100 in the valley we live in. One of the guys came back on Friday to connect the heat on the furnace... something we did not need at this time..lol

The hardest part of this all (besides sweltering in the hot house) was taking care of our dog. Poor girl was just panting away without relief. I was wiping her with a wet cloth in the breeze of a fan, and that helped. So did the scoop of vanilla ice cream and ice cubes to lick.

I am just glad this is all over. It was a horrible week starting on Monday with another trip to the ER with my father. He was having side effects from a medication. Luckily, he was able to come home and was back to normal the next day, only to have to deal with the air.

Hopefully this week will start out good.

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-13-2012, 02:44 PM
I am so glad you got it sorted, and at a decent price.

This summer has been so hot ... just too much to handle for so many. I never thought I would already be looking forward to winter.

VWL Mom
08-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Glad you're up and running and at a reasonable cost to boot. The pup must be thrilled too.

When it's really hot, mine has taken to laying on top of the floor vent when the ac runs. Of course, it blocks it for everyone else but she really doesn't seem to care. I did get her some of those stay cool bandanas from the dollar store, they seem to help a lot.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
08-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Hope your new unit finds you cooler air and lower bills.

SBETigg
08-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Marci, what an ordeal! I'm glad it worked out and you have AC back, and for a lower than expected cost. I hope your dad is feeling better and that you are having a better week.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
08-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Yikes! At least you got it done for almost half what was quoted. My A/C in my 11.5 year old car just died. That's only about $300+ for a new compressor part but my mechanic is going to see if he can find a used one. Hopefully I'll get rid of the car in a couple of years so I really need to get it fixed in the meantime.

MNNHFLTX
08-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Glad your AC is back on and at a decent price too, Marci. :thumbsup:

Disney4us2
08-26-2012, 05:29 PM
We are soooo happy to have the air again. The heat wave continued for the following week. We are now below average with temp in the high 80's. Still hot, but it beats 100.

We really did get a break on the price. The only down side is that it was all under the table. So we don't have any waranties or recipts. It all worked out good for us. The A/C unit will most likely outlive my father so the next owners can have that worry.