PDA

View Full Version : Sigh -- Aulani construction.

Aurora
08-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Going to Aulani for the first and possibly only time in September with my parents. Got word from Disney that they're starting expansion construction in September.

Excerpts from e-mail and letter:

...We'll be expanding our Resort as part of our final buildout beginning in September.

This expansion will include enhancements to the Waikolohe Pool area, as well as the addition of new water features, two new Quick-service dining options and a new, larger venue for our popular Starlit Hui show.

These projects are being carefully scheduled to minimize impact to your stay, however, you will see and hear work in progress-so we hope you'll pardon our appearance and any construction-related noise.

Please note that the Wailana Bar and Quiet Pool will remain closed for an indefinite period of time. Also, the Makai Preserve will close permanently in early October to make way for new water features.

I know that construction is sometimes necessary, but I thought Aulani was all done. Somebody make me feel better.

DVC2004
08-07-2012, 08:57 AM
Well...if it's the Wailana Bar and Quiet Pool closed you won't miss too much. The bar is over by the quiet pool and no one ever seemed to be there. The quiet pool was on the small side. I think you will be OK. The main pool is very large and the beach is wonderful. I'm sorry, I know how you feel. It is diappointing to take a trip that is more of a once in a lifetime thing and have it be less than perfect.

If it makes you feel better they had sent us a similar letter for our trip there in June, and they stated the main pool might be impacted by the quick service place they were building. When we got there, no cunstruction was taking place and nothing was closed off. I hope that is the case for you, too.

faline
08-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Saw information about the upcoming construction on the member website over the weekend. That says the construction is slated to begin in September and continue through mid-2013. Hope it doesn't impact your plans too much!

MinnieMommie
08-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Even thought there may be some construction you will still have a wonderful vacation and after all...you will be in Hawaii! Please let us know about your trip when you return. :mickey:

Aurora
08-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Hmm, here's something. So it seems Disney is offering its guests staying during the construction some kind of compensation to offset the inconvenience. The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to be the same offer across the board.

Some guests are apparently being given a refund of one or two nights' worth of points, put back into their account without a banking deadine, and others are being given cash. Even though we're staying on points, we received an e-mail that our stay would receive a cash credit on our room statement.

I guess we'll see how big of an inconvenience this really is. I can't imagine Disney giving guests something in advance of a possible complaint unless it was going to be really noticeable.

lawgirl
08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
First of all, so jealous that you are going!! My sister lives on Oahu, and I've had the pleasure of going there for the past 8 years. We were at Aulani in Feb of this year to eat at Makahiki (loved it!) and to go to the beach at the Ko Olina-AUlani lagoon area. First of all, the resort itself is just gorgeous. I would stay there in a heartbeat. The lobby and grounds are imaculate and lush. And this time was the first time I had ever been to Ko Olina and that area. The beach and lagoon there are gorgeous, and it wasn't crowded at all when we went. It was still under construction when we were there, and the noise and construction was hardly visible to us.

I hope that it doesn't interfere with your enjoyment of it. IMHO its absolutely gorgeous, and does feel alot like tropical paradise!

Are you venturing out to other parts of the island, or just hanging around Aulani?

Aurora
08-17-2012, 12:21 PM
First of all, so jealous that you are going!! My sister lives on Oahu, and I've had the pleasure of going there for the past 8 years. We were at Aulani in Feb of this year to eat at Makahiki (loved it!) and to go to the beach at the Ko Olina-AUlani lagoon area. First of all, the resort itself is just gorgeous. I would stay there in a heartbeat. The lobby and grounds are imaculate and lush. And this time was the first time I had ever been to Ko Olina and that area. The beach and lagoon there are gorgeous, and it wasn't crowded at all when we went. It was still under construction when we were there, and the noise and construction was hardly visible to us.

I hope that it doesn't interfere with your enjoyment of it. IMHO its absolutely gorgeous, and does feel alot like tropical paradise!

Are you venturing out to other parts of the island, or just hanging around Aulani?

Thank you! Definitely seeing as much of the Island as we can. We've been to Oahu before and hit the major visitor spots -- Waikiki, Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, etc. Do you have any suggestions for us? We're really looking forward to it!

lawgirl
08-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, since you've hit the major touristy spots already, there are a few places that we love and go every time I get to visit. I think all of these have websites with visitor info and times.

-Hanauma Bay- really great spot for snorkeling

-Doris Duke's "Shangri-La" Estate. This is absolutely gorgeous. It's on the backside of Diamond Head, and the house and grounds are amazing. I believe she has one of the largest collections of Islamic Art in the US, if not the world.

-Iolani Palace

-Bishop Museum is a must-see

-Waimea Valley Botanical Garden is near North Shore, and its absolutely gorgeous. Very Jurassic Park looking. And there is a waterfall area you can swim in at the end of the trail. We go every single time. My sister considered this location for her wedding.

-Kailua Beach area is beautiful

-Kapiolani Park area is nice for picnics and walking around the track. The beach area there is usually less crowded and very pretty. Its on the eastern end of Waikiki.

-Manoa Falls trail is a great moderate hike. Its tucked away close to the UH campus,but worth the drive.

-The Macadamia Nut Farm is on the way to Chinaman's Hat. Its close to Kualoa Ranch.

Our must-do restaurants:

-Wai Oli Tea Room in Manoa is perfect for lunch or Sunday brunch. It really is almost hidden, but one of our absolute favorites.

-Roy's near Hawaii Kai is a really great place to watch the sunset over the ocean.

-Casa Blanca in Kailua is a great Moroccan place

-Haleiwa Joe's at Haiku Gardens is a gorgeous spot, nice Sunday brunch

-High Tea at the Moana Surfrider

On Fridays, the Hilton Hawaiian Village puts on a spectacular fireworks show. Its great to grab a spot on the beach and watch for free.

Have fun! My sister is eating at Aulani Tonight. I'll ask her to look around at the construction area.

lawgirl
08-17-2012, 05:37 PM
I totally forgot my favorite restaurant. Its called Indigo, and its in the downtown / Chinatown area. They have a really different lunch buffet.

And Queen Emma's Summer Palace is another great little house museum. Its in Nu'uanu, which is where my sister lives. I LOVE that area. Part of The Descendants movie was filmed in her neighborhood.

Aurora
08-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Thank you! What a great list of suggestions! Now I can really start with my planning. :)

We did hit the Manoa Falls trail on our last trip, but it was in January and when we got to the end of the trail, there was the cliff, but ... no falls! :confused: I guess it was the wrong time of year.

Re: Aulani, I don't think construction will begin until September, so there might not be anything to see yet.

Lindsey310
08-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Grin and bear it: you are in Hawaii!!!! We haven't been to Oahu but we did go to maui and it was so gorgeous, it was like a post card. You will have a wonderful time :mickey: