PDA

View Full Version : are crowds lower than other years?

dyin tago
08-05-2012, 10:55 AM
hello,

I have read on different posts that crowd levels are a lot lower right now than same time last year.

Dw and I go in mid september and although that time is usually not too bad even lower crowds would be super!:mickey:

1DisneyNut
08-05-2012, 11:51 AM
We were at Magic Kingdom and Epcot a couple of weeks ago and crowd levels and wait times were definitely low. We were at Magic Kingdom for only 8 hours and did almost everything there except for a few attractions the kids didn't want to do. We also rode splash mountain 3 times, big thunder railroad twice and pirates of the Caribbean twice. We went to Epcot for about 7 hours the next day and did everything there with exception of the God Awful films about each country. In both parks, many of the wait times were only 15-20 minutes and at times only 10 minutes. The popular rides got up to about 60 minutes during the afternoon for a few hours but then started dropping back off. I have never been in the summer peak season and seen such low crowd levels.

On a side note, we also went to Sea World and Busch Gardens while we were and the crowd levels were as high or higher than I have ever seen them.

lovemy3girls
08-05-2012, 12:00 PM
We were there yesterday and Magic Kingdom rides had almost all less than 30 minute wait times. Incredible for a Saturday night in early August!

dyin tago
08-05-2012, 12:06 PM
wow that`s amazing.

I wonder if all the price increases and cut backs are taking a toll?

This is great for people there now not having to deal with crowds so much in the heat of summer.:fan:

darthmacho
08-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Well, as someone leaving for WDW in just 2 weeks, I'm torn by the usual Catch-22: I want WDW to be vibrant and successful going forward in the future, so big crowds spending lots of money would help that. On the other hand, I dream of 2 weeks of low crowds and lots of short lines and ride repeats. I'm pretty selfish, so I'm going to wish for the latter. :mickey:

Strmchsr
08-05-2012, 12:31 PM
In general this last little spell seems unusual because crowds in general are up for the year. I think some folks are avoiding the hottest part now and taking vacations during other traditionally "low" times of the year which is why those times aren't so low any more.

Melanie
08-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Crowds are definitely more spread out throughout the year now. I couldn't believe the lower crowds last month. It's definitely noticeable.

VWL Mom
08-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Crowds are definitely more spread out throughout the year now. I couldn't believe the lower crowds last month. It's definitely noticeable.

I wonder how much Disney is manipulating the crowd levels with free dining offers.

TikiGoddess
08-05-2012, 01:34 PM
We had two days on our trip (July 21-26) that had lower crowds, but one was due to a long rainy afternoon. The other two park days we had were incredibly crowded, even during the first hour after opening.

Kathy

disneymomma2010
08-05-2012, 02:46 PM
I will be there in 27 days and I bet crowds will be higher than they are now because of free dining :( Although Im not knocking free dining, because we are taking advantage of that..but I bet that's my luck, there will probably be higher than normal crowds.

1DisneyNut
08-05-2012, 06:18 PM
We had two days on our trip (July 21-26) that had lower crowds, but one was due to a long rainy afternoon. The other two park days we had were incredibly crowded, even during the first hour after opening.

Kathy

That is the same week we were there that I posted about earlier. We were at Magic Kingdom on Wednesday 7/25 and Epcot on Thursday 7/26. As I stated in earlier post, the crowd levels were exceptionally low for that time of year. After looking at your list of recent previous trips, it looks like you normally visit during off peak times so that may explain why you thought the crowd levels were high. I have seen higher crowd levels in the middle of January while there for a large convention.

Mom on a Mission
08-05-2012, 06:38 PM
I doubt we need to worry about Disney not being vibrant and growing, but I also think Universal may have a bit of an upper hand right now with the Hogwarts section pulling people into their parks and hotels. But the new Fantasyland is coming soon and that will pull everyone back :mickey: In fact, some may be holding off on WDW trips to wait for all the new FL to be open. All that said, we'll be there in two weeks and I really really hope we have low crowds. That would be awesome!!

MarkC
08-05-2012, 07:00 PM
I also think the hot summer and the economy have taken their toll on a lot of people this summer. Gas prices, food prices, etc have an effect. Also, its been so hot no one wants to go out and do anything.

Like others noted, some people may have postponed their trips to try to use the free dining promotion, attend the Food and Wine festival, etc.

I'll be there in 6 days and will try and report. This will be trip #25, several of which have been in summer, so I should have a good comparison from the past.

1DisneyNut
08-06-2012, 10:42 AM
I also think the hot summer and the economy have taken their toll on a lot of people this summer. Gas prices, food prices, etc have an effect. Also, its been so hot no one wants to go out and do anything.

I'm not so sure I agree with this perspective. The economy was a lot worse 3-4 years ago. Gas prices were higher last few summers than they have been this summer. Its always hot somewhere in the U.S. every summer, this year just happens to be your turn.

I personally think its all the price increases and decreasing services and quality. We normally stay on property but decided to try an offsite resort this time. The price was better, the accommodations were just as nice, we got free breakfast and we didn't have to wait on WDW buses. It was great.

dyin tago
08-06-2012, 11:23 AM
wife and I have considered trying staying offsite after staying onsite for many trips.

problem is when you figure the cost of a valu resort during free dining and also the fifteen dollar a day parking charge if not staying onsite
and paying for all your meals onsite is a really good deal.

missastrocat
08-06-2012, 02:29 PM
I would agree with the post that some people might be holding off until the Fantasyland expansion is complete. I know that before I booked this trip, I was going to hold out until it was complete. This year just happens to work for us, and with the free dining, it kind of sealed the deal for us to go this November.

Strmchsr
08-06-2012, 02:50 PM
I would agree with the post that some people might be holding off until the Fantasyland expansion is complete.

:ditto: Between "free" dining and the new Fantasyland stuff opening I would expect November and December to be packed this year with the months preceding those a little lower than normal. I imagine a good many people are waiting until late November or December when they know the new stuff will be open (plus the new Test Track opening Dec 1). We decided NOT to go in December this year because I'm expecting much higher than normal crowds. We'll go sometime next year when the newness has worn off a little.

BIGDOG
08-06-2012, 03:55 PM
I don't mean to get off topic here but does anyone know the date when the construction will be done and Fantasy Land will be completely open?

Strmchsr
08-06-2012, 04:33 PM
I don't mean to get off topic here but does anyone know the date when the construction will be done and Fantasy Land will be completely open?

There has not been an announcement beyond AP holders will get a preview "sometime" in November. It looks like it will be open to the general public close to the end of November. I imagine they'll want it open by Thanksgiving week.

epceddie
08-06-2012, 08:54 PM
wife and I have considered trying staying offsite after staying onsite for many trips.

problem is when you figure the cost of a valu resort during free dining and also the fifteen dollar a day parking charge if not staying onsite
and paying for all your meals onsite is a really good deal.

Oh the horror! LOL. My wife and I have had good and bad experiences staying offsite in Kissimmee.
We stayed at a hotel on Cape Cod last week for $169 a night and felt that we got ripped off. The room was nothing special and the pool area was ordinary at best. The benefits of staying at Disney can't be overlooked. The resorts are beautiful, the pools are great, and there's nothing like being right in the middle of the Magic.

Frog
08-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Here is an interesting thought...
If Park Prices go up, the parks will be less crowded...
Here is to wishing for ticket prices go up!!!!
No, Wait, Never mind!!!!
We Disney fans are a tough crowd to keep happy, arent we?? :)

lightyearfan
08-07-2012, 10:04 AM
well maybe the crowds just follow me and my dw, because no matter what time of year that we go the parks are jammed. let me say this for the 1st time in years we couldn't get on spaceship earth, soarin or test track and this is going back to a trip in March and a trip this June, the lines were wrapped around spaceship earth and the fastpasses were all sold out by the time we got to the fastpass and that was around 1030 am, i kid you not. we'll be going again in sept for 2 days b4 we embark on our Disney Fantasy Cruise, so we'll see how it is then, oh on a side note we had to wait in a ropped off area b4 you get on the monorail to Magic Kingdom so nah no crowd problems 4 us lol

just my 2 cents

victor

disneydeb
08-07-2012, 10:57 AM
We are going late November - early December, we had a pin code for free dining before it was open to the public. We were hoping for low crowds, and a mostly open new Fantasyland, plus the usual Christmas decor up by then.

Yep, on second thought I bet it will be crowded...:blush:

Roger's #1 Fan
08-07-2012, 12:22 PM
We'll be in the world tomorrow. :mickey:

We usually visit the last week of August and have never had issues with crowds. I'm hoping from what I'm reading that this trip will be the same. :thumbsup:

The only issue we have to deal with is the heat. :thedolls:

tiggerbuddy
08-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Things to consider:

Fantasy land Expansion
Test Track Down
Wonders of Life (extinct)

people might be waiting for something "new":mickey:

BIGDOG
08-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Oh the horror! LOL. My wife and I have had good and bad experiences staying offsite in Kissimmee.
We stayed at a hotel on Cape Cod last week for $169 a night and felt that we got ripped off. The room was nothing special and the pool area was ordinary at best. The benefits of staying at Disney can't be overlooked. The resorts are beautiful, the pools are great, and there's nothing like being right in the middle of the Magic.

True, True, but at least the beaches here on the Cape have Great White sharks this summer for entertainment.

pcoleman
08-11-2012, 10:58 AM
At the airport waiting to leave.:( Never been during this time before. Was expecting very large crowds. Maybe we just picked right but i thought it was very manageable. In fact our day at DHS i was wondering where everyone was.

CosmicRay
08-11-2012, 11:14 AM
We've always gone during the off-peak season and over the past 16 years, we have noticed the crowds gradually increasing with each passing year.

My other thought is, parents don't mind pulling their kids out of school for a week to go at a cooler, cheaper, or less crowded time.

Aurora
08-11-2012, 11:15 AM
I wonder how much Disney is manipulating the crowd levels with free dining offers.

It will be interesting to see what happens with crowds later this month. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Disney was giving bounceback offers with free dining starting Aug. 17, and free dining to everyone starting Aug. 25.

alongfortheride
08-12-2012, 01:51 AM
The crowds have definitely been lower this summer than any summer I've seen since we started going to the parks. With our proximity, we go pretty much weekly, and the crowds just haven't been bad at all. Of course, with that said, we were at MK tonight and it was pretty crowded. I think the next 1-2 weeks will be a little heavier as everyone tries to get that last trip in before school starts. It should thin out considerably after that if this summer is any indication.