PDA

View Full Version : Fear of flying

Disneymom4ever
08-03-2012, 09:32 AM
My family and I are leaving tomorrow morning on a flight to Seattle from NC (5 hrs. 36 min!), and to say I'm nervous is an understatement! I have flown before, but the anxiety has gotten so much worse. I swore I was never flying again, but when I tried to talk my family into driving the 48 hr. drive, they said no. Ugh! Right now my hands are shaking, and stomach not feeling good. One of the reasons I wanted to move to the east coast from Seattle was so I could DRIVE to Disney World! And do I sound like a lunatic in saying that I just mapped out the entire US checking every possible city for bad weather tomorrow? Any helpful tips on how to get through this? I really want to enjoy this vacation, but this is just awful!

Dulcee
08-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Right there with you. Terrified of flying.

My first flight (as a 21 year old) I puked in the middle of the airport before we even checked out bags. I've learned to deal. I even fly solo quite a bit now when I have to.

But I don't think I'll ever lose the anxiety that goes along with the trips.

What works for me...
I fill my ipod with disney music, enough to last the entire trip. The soundtracks keep me calm.

Longer trips (more then 2 hours) I've been known to use the nyquil sleep aid (specifically for sleeping). Shorter trips I'll take a smaller dose, its enough to take the edge off and knock me out for a while without feeling groggy at the end of it. You can find it OTC at most pharmacies.

Books. good ones. If I can get absorbed it helps.

Stay away from weather reports. Trust that pilots know what they are doing.

I hope that things go smoothly for you!

Disneymom4ever
08-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Oh, thank you for that! I love those tips. I think I might get some Nyquil today, I bet that will help a little! If I could hear Disney music, and then sleep for 5 hrs, well, that would just be amazing! I'm just praying for a smooth flight. Thanks again! :mickey:

Melanie
08-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm probably not the best to reply to you on this topic, but just wanted you to know you're not alone. I've not flown in the 3 years since we returned from living in Japan, but just purchased tickets to attend ICOT15 in October. Yes, I could have done Amtrak (and seriously considered it), but I know I have to face up to my flying fears and not let it prohibit me from traveling, which I so love to do.

You can spit out all the statistics you want on how many flights there are a day, how flying is the safest form of transportation, more likely to have a car crash, blah, blah, blah...doesn't do a thing for me. I just try not to think about the weather, like Dulcee said, and concentrate on the end result. Taking non-stop flights is very important to me as well. And, I'm not ashamed to admit, I take a Xanax to calm myself down. If that means sleep, that's an added bonus. And yes, having either something to read or something to listen to helps a great deal. You can do this, and when you are there and thinking 'wow, I would still be in the car for 2 more days instead of already here having fun', you'll be thankful!

On a side note, have a great time in Seattle! Beautiful city. I hope you have a great trip!

Tygger7
08-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I am right there with you ....terrified of flying. My advice: call your family doctor NOW and tell him/her about your fear of flying. They can prescribe medication to make the flight MUCH easier for you. I just happened to mention it during a checkup one time and my doctor said, "you know, you don't have to suffer...I can give you a prescription to help." I can't remember the name of the medicine, but I just take 1 little pill about 30 mins before boarding and it lasts at least 3 hours. Do yourself a favor...it's worth at least checking with your doctor. Trust me, it will make the flight so much easier! :mickey:

DreamFinder2
08-03-2012, 11:26 AM
When I was a teenager I was terrified of flying. Although my family traveled a fair amount, I was never comfortable with getting on a plane. My dad is a private pilot and used to throw all the statistics at me, like Melanie said. Didn't help!

At some point, though, my fears began to lessen. I began to view flying more as a mundane have-to-do-it kind of thing than an event. Over the last 5 years, I've flown probably close to 20 times. I still don't love the experience, but I've adopted a 'gotta do it' mentality.

One thing that helps is that I always have a job to do on the plane. Whether it's typing something for work, outlining a book or creating an itinerary for our next trip to WDW! Music helps, as well, but I've found that if I go into a flight knowing that I have to accomplish something, it helps me to focus on something other than the flight itself.

Mind games. But, it does work for me.

I'd be careful medicating too much. I used to do the Dramamine thing, and so do several people I travel with regularly. I've seen them actually feel worse because of over-medicating than if they would have simply done nothing. The only thing I take is a Benedryl right before the flight...it helps my ears pop, and tends to increase the 'mellow factor' for a couple hours.

Tygger7
08-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Taking non-stop flights is very important to me as well. And, I'm not ashamed to admit, I take a Xanax to calm myself down. If that means sleep, that's an added bonus.

Agreed on the nonstop flights...and I'm almost certain Xanax is what my doctor prescribed for me too. That stuff is a lifesaver!!

DVC2004
08-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Ugh same here- getting on a plane again in a few days and already thinking of it. I also flew from Chicago to Hawaii a month a go and that was a doozy. I fly frequently for business and pleasure and I am always terrified when I step on board.

That beig said, bring something to read or distract you. I like magazines so I can read during takeoff (my least favorite part of the flight) because electronics have to be turned off. Also, I am a big proponent of medication. I had Xanax in the past and it helped. Ask your doctor. I haven't taken any for a long time now, but if you need them take them. It wasn't a cure-all but it did make feel more relaxed.
I can't ever sleep on a plane, overnight flight or not. I am thinking too about getting those Bose noise cancelling headphones to help block out some of the sounds but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Good luck- there's a lot of us out there. What I always tell myself ad I buckle in and wait for the takeoff is think of how many planes, every day, every airport, all over the world coming and going. You are very safe. You will be OK. Then I order a glass of wine (if I have no pills). ;)

Wolf
08-03-2012, 12:11 PM
I have abit of an anxiety disorder as it is (I panic alot and get scared of things at random, kind of a can't shut my brain off thing) and was on Xanex for awhile and short term its okay, I'm on Propranalol now and just take it when I'm feeling really jittery, I plan on taking it for our next flight in Oct because flying freaks me out so bad, I like the Propranalol better because it doesn't make me sleepy like Xanex did it just calms me down and my Dr told me alot of actors use it before press events just to take off the nervous jitters so that might be a thought, plus its cheap at my pharmacy.

Also I agree with the Disney music. I usually try to distract myself with either something that distracts me like sometimes I'll bring some string and braid it into a anklet while I'm on the plane just for a distraction, I don't do anything with them just tie them on something at random afterwards but just anything to occupy my hands, plus I can never fit a book in my bag lol wasted space for Vinylmations :)

Have a great trip!

Strmchsr
08-03-2012, 01:38 PM
One thing that will also help - look in the weather forecast thread in the vacation planning forum. There's a couple of links that help explain some of the different sensations you might feel in the air, what they mean, and some tips for overcoming fear of flying. It's written by an experienced pilot. I realize fear of flying is irrational, but sometimes the knowledge of what is actually happening can help some.

Ian
08-03-2012, 03:05 PM
I always find it amazing when someone implies they'd rather drive for 48 hours on America's interstate system vs. taking a three hour plane ride.

You are far more likely to be killed in a car accident on your way to the airport (let alone the other 47 hours!) than you are in a commerical airliner. Currently there is 1 fatal accident for every 2,000,000,000 person-miles flown (in the US, if you're not flying in Alaska, that number actually goes down significantly). Trust me when I tell you that the auto rate is significantly higher.

You're statistically more likely to be eaten by a shark or struck by lightning than you are to be killed in a plane crash.

I feel just about as safe as I ever do when flying commerical lol. Site back, buckle in, and enjoy your brief bubble of safety!

Melanie
08-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I always find it amazing when someone implies they'd rather drive for 48 hours on America's interstate system vs. taking a three hour plane ride.

You are far more likely to be killed in a car accident on your way to the airport (let alone the other 47 hours!) than you are in a commerical airliner. Currently there is 1 fatal accident for every 2,000,000,000 person-miles flown (in the US, if you're not flying in Alaska, that number actually goes down significantly). Trust me when I tell you that the auto rate is significantly higher.

You're statistically more likely to be eaten by a shark or struck by lightning than you are to be killed in a plane crash.

I feel just about as safe as I ever do when flying commerical lol. Site back, buckle in, and enjoy your brief bubble of safety!

I sure do hope these facts help the OP! :thumbsup:

Like I said in my post, NONE of those facts you just laid out mean a thing to me. In fact, it's rather exhausting trying to explain to someone who doesn't have an irrational fear what it's like. :( I won't go into it here, because it certainly wouldn't be beneficial to the OP. :blush: But believe me, it's not something that's easy to overcome.

Ian
08-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Honestly, I can imagine ... I have a few near-phobias myself and nothing anyone tells me can convince me that some river monster isn't going to swim up and bite my toes off if I float feet down in open water either. ;)

garymacd
08-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Serax, a glass of wine and iPod works for my wife.

Also, taking a shot of Otrivin up each nostril about an hour before flight usually ensures clear air passages and ease of repressurising those nasal passages.

Wolf
08-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Also, taking a shot of Otrivin up each nostril about an hour before flight usually ensures clear air passages and ease of repressurising those nasal passages.

Can you buy that Otrivin in stores? I always get headaches from the high pressure messing with my sinuses.

buzznwoodysmom
08-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Just wanted to say good luck!

I haven't flown since my kids were born...well actually I flew once after my oldest was born. He was just 7 months old, we flew without him, and I was such a wreck that I never flew again. Both of my kids are afraid to fly as well. I don't know if having children changed it for me, but I was never afraid to fly before.

However, after my terrifying car accident, which totaled my vehicle, on my way home from WDW last weekend I'm seriously considering flying for our next trip. In the past I have loved having my own car, being able to arrive a day earlier, or stay a day or two later if we decide while we are there. Driving has always been the better choice for us, but now I'm not so sure I want to make that long drive again anytime soon. I fully expect to be in your position if/when we do decide to fly. So you are definitely not alone!

Melanie
08-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Both of my kids are afraid to fly as well.

Just curious Denise, but why are the boys scared of flying? I'm so thankful that my fear hasn't rubbed off on my boys and in fact, they even enjoy it. Thank goodness, since we've had to fly across the world more than once. My youngest even goes up in small planes every once in a while with his great uncle and it makes me a nervous wreck. :unsure:

NewDVCowner
08-08-2012, 03:30 PM
If you do a google search for 'fear of flying help' there is a free self help webpage created by a pilot that explains the ins and outs of flying. I'm a nervous flyer, but not terrified of it. This website helped me be calmer during the bumps that are normal in a flight.

Strmchsr
08-08-2012, 04:06 PM
If you do a google search for 'fear of flying help' there is a free self help webpage created by a pilot that explains the ins and outs of flying.

That's the page I mentioned above that I have linked in the weather forecast thread.

NewDVCowner
08-08-2012, 05:07 PM
That's the page I mentioned above that I have linked in the weather forecast thread.

Ah, missed that. Sorry!

thrillme
08-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Go visit your doctor. A little Xanax helps quite well. Pack a DVD player...watch a movie as soon as they let you turn on electronics. Sit on the outside instead of by the window. Soon you will feel like your on a bus.

There's also an "airplane" pillow you can purchase. Funny looking actually but it's always in the SkyMall catelog. You blow it up and set it on your tray. Put your head down and take a nap.

buzznwoodysmom
08-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Just curious Denise, but why are the boys scared of flying? I'm so thankful that my fear hasn't rubbed off on my boys and in fact, they even enjoy it. Thank goodness, since we've had to fly across the world more than once. My youngest even goes up in small planes every once in a while with his great uncle and it makes me a nervous wreck. :unsure:

Not sure Melanie. I think it's a combination of them knowing my fear, and just the unknown factor. They actually go back and forth a bit. Once in a while one of them will say "I think I do want to fly, it might be fun", and the other will say "no way, I NEVER want to fly". DH flies all the time, all over the world, so they know that it's safe. My youngest did say on the ride home, after the wreck, that he thinks he'd rather fly than drive next time we go to Disney. I think once they fly they'll be over it.

It would probably do me some good to fly too, get over my fear as well. I think 911 may be what fostered my fear. That and having kids generally made me fear more things than I did before kids.

When we went to Dallas this summer DH said, after the fact, that we probably should have flown. It's such a short flight from home that it would have been a good first flight for the kids.

garymacd
08-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Can you buy that Otrivin in stores? I always get headaches from the high pressure messing with my sinuses.

We can get it in the cold and sinus aisle at the drug stores here in Canada. I don't know about in USA. It may be a controlled substance and you may have to ask the pharmacist for it.

It's funny, (strange, odd, perhaps; maybe not funny) that my cousin was just visiting and was saying that she hates flying and had to be medicated to get on the plane to go to Miami for her honeymoon cruise. Her husband said to her before they started the flight home, "Well, you've had the first flight under your belt, you should be fine. Why not skip taking the medication?"

Half-way home he was pleading with her, "TAKE THE PILL!"

Disneymom4ever
08-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Well, I'm home now, and just wanted to say thank you all for the advice. So thankful to be on the ground, lol. Going there, I discovered rocking back and forth helped with not feeling the bumps when turbulence hit. My family looked at me like I was nuts. The seatbelt light came on 4 times, not fun! On the way home, my family had to decide who HAD to sit by me. I actually cried when we took off. 5 hrs. of sheer terror for me. And I did take a Xanax. My poor son, his hand was purple from my squeezing it so hard. He was so sweet, got the dvd player out and played movies for me. That actually did help a little. I honestly don't ever think I will conquer this fear. I just hate it. Now my brother is getting married in Feb. in Columbia, and wants me to be there. Ugh, can I swim that far? I was thinking perhaps taking a cruise, and hopping off near there. Don't think that's legal though. Anyhow, thanks again everyone, and for everyone else who's afraid, you are definitely not alone! :mickey:

PirateLover
08-22-2012, 01:08 AM
DH has a fear of flying. 1 1/2 xanax and a screwdriver(Vodka and OJ) are usually enough to put him out, and recently we've found that music definitely helps create a little bubble to send him off to dreamland. I have lots of anxiety over many things... but thankfully flying isn't one. When the plane takes off, I usually bless myself and say a Hail Mary (like a good Catholic girl :secret:) and throw a little prayer up to mine and DH's dearly departed, and that sets me at ease. But I can totally understand those who fear flying, because like I said, I have quite a few irrational fears myself!