PDA

View Full Version : Disney Races - How to Plan?

Kati
08-01-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm participating in my first Disney World race this coming September with the boyfriend (Tower of Terror 10-miler).

It's my 10th Disney trip, his 1st... how do you make the most of the time there, and still give the race the preparation time it deserves?

Would love any and all suggestions!

faline
08-01-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm not a runner so can't really help but I'm sure others who have done this will be along shortly.

faline
08-01-2012, 07:59 PM
I just noticed this was your first post - Welcome to Intercot!! :mickey:

chick20679
08-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm doing my first race this year too! :mickey: The Wine&Dine half in November - so thanks for asking this questions - I can't wait to see what folks have to say! :thumbsup:

beksy
08-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I don't race/run either (unless its to get away from Mom's ECV when she falls asleep driving :blush:) but I wanted to wish you all good luck and Welcome to Intercot! :party:

Kati
08-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! Excited to be on Intercot and to see what everyone has to say :mickey:

VWL Mom
08-02-2012, 08:45 AM
:welcome: to INTERCOT

I don't race/run either (unless its to get away from Mom's ECV when she falls asleep driving :blush:)

:rotfl:
(have to go clean the coffee off my screen now)

dnickels
08-02-2012, 09:10 AM
The approaches I've seen are really all over the map. I've seen people at 4:30 AM ready for the half marathon or full marathon who didn't get to bed the night before until after 12 because they were with their kids and family at the parks til close and on the flip side I've seen other people who will get a completely separate room from their family (or room with just other runners) so the family can be out enjoying the parks and not disturb the runner's sleep the night before.

If it was me, with the ToT race starting at 10 PM I'd take it pretty easy on race day but I don't think I'd change much else during the rest of the week. Maybe go to the parks for 2-3 hrs in the morning then take a long nap in the afternoon that day. The two of you will know your bodies better than anyone else though so schedule a few 10 PM training runs and try some different approaches to see what makes you feel the best for running. Maybe you run just great at 10 after a full day, maybe you run best in the mornings in which case you'd want to set up a schedule to make the 10 PM run feel more like a morning one (i.e. nap til 6 or 7, quick 'breakfast,' shower and out the door for the race). You've got time so you'll figure out what works for you, but I haven't seen any sort of general strategy or plan that folks follow, everyone does their own thing based on individual circumstances.

Kati
08-02-2012, 09:27 AM
@dnickels - thank you for the recommendation! :thumbsup: It sounds like you've done this before.

Also, truly appreciate the warm welcome on the Intercot boards! :mickey:

amorillo
08-04-2012, 11:55 AM
i've never run a night race at disney before.... hope to next year! but for the morning race i just took it easy the day before. slow paced at the park... and headed in early that night to let the kids go swimming at the resort, while i just hung around.

so, i'd say... take it easy the day of the race. heading back to the resort to nap/ stretch out before the run sounds good.

most of all have a great run! disney races are so much fun! can't wait for my next one!!! :cloud9:

irish1967
08-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I've never done a night race at the parks either (on the list though :mickey:)

I think my biggest concern would be to make sure that I didn't eat anything during the day that would make running at night an uncomfortable or unfortunate experience.

Other then that, it would depend on your experience. If you have done other races before you probably know how much you can do without compromising your running. If not, I would take it easy - do a few hours in a park in the morning, go back to your resort to rest up before the race that night.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

chick20679
08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Also, don't forget to fit in a time to head over to WWOS to pick-up your packet and check-out the expo on Friday or Saturday.:mickey:

Melanie
08-06-2012, 10:32 AM
My husband has done the Wine & Dine, the Marathons, 1/2 marathons, etc. and I've done 2 of the 5Ks. His favorite races are definitely the nighttime ones. How exciting that you are running the very first 10 Miler Disney has ever put on!

I know for the night races, my husband didn't nap or anything, but he did eat lightly that day, and went easy on the touring. He runs a lot at night anyway, so it wasn't hard for him to adjust. Are you there for just the weekend, or will you be vacationing all week?

Enjoy! runDisney puts on stellar events. So much fun!!!

Kati
08-07-2012, 09:11 AM
I know for the night races, my husband didn't nap or anything, but he did eat lightly that day, and went easy on the touring. He runs a lot at night anyway, so it wasn't hard for him to adjust. Are you there for just the weekend, or will you be vacationing all week?

We will actually be vacationing all week - it's his first trip, and I want to make sure he has the full experience!

Right now the tentative plan is to fly in Tuesday, go to the parks W/Th/F/Sat, and leave Sunday - just enough time to squeeze everything in! :mickey: