PDA

View Full Version : Electric Bill

susie & perla's mom
07-31-2012, 08:48 AM
With this super hot summer, how much is your electric bill during the months of June & July?

dnickels
07-31-2012, 09:43 AM
When I'm there (central FL) I run about $165 per month in the summer for a 2,000 SF townhome with all electric appliances (water heater, stove, clothes dryer). This summer I'm elsewhere in the country so almost everything back at the house is unplugged, A/C at 83 to keep the humidity down and it's been running right around $40 per month.

MNNHFLTX
07-31-2012, 10:46 AM
3100 sq ft house, all electric except for furnace and water heaters, with pool and pump and temps in the 90's daily. Electrical bill averaging $298/month (it used to be more than that but we recently replaced one of our old AC units with a more energy-efficient model).

SBETigg
07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
My electric and heating bills are insane. Large house, high ceilings, with attached apartment, two separate heating and cooling systems. We weren't using the apartment systems much- it was my office. But then my dad moved in.

DizneyRox
07-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Actually, this year we are lower than normal. Over the past year or so, I've gone and made a bunch of efficiency changes around the house. We dropped cable (and the associated power those cable boxes draw) and swapped out the lights we use a lot with LEDs. We're about 40 bucks under plan. We use propane for just about everything other than the AC and the oven (cook top is propane).

AC is set at 78°

I think a lot of it is the LEDs, we've been pretty happy with them. If the specialty ones weren't still so dang expensive, we would have switch everything over. Light is fine, now just costs us less, so we can splurge on other things. We're also better off with the generator should power go out easier for us to not have to worry about power consumption as much.

Ian
07-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Our townhouse is about 3,800 sq. ft. We like to keep it really cool (typically 70 degrees), but we have mostly gas ... stove, dryer, hot water heater, etc. so you'd think we wouldn't use too much.

Our bill for June was close to $600!!! :eek: Although that's combined gas/electric and with six people in the family we do use a lot of hot water.

tazlikesrobots
07-31-2012, 01:26 PM
My light bill actually went down! Negotiated a new rate with my electricity provider and installed an attic fan. My June bill was 120.00....

Dulcee
07-31-2012, 01:29 PM
We're all electric and keep the AC at about 72 round the clock this summer. 1200 sqft house, so pretty small. June/July have been about $125 each which is about $30-40 higher then when the AC doesn't run.

AgentC
07-31-2012, 02:45 PM
2000 SF house with all electric plus electric pool pump& self cleaning pool filter. I keep the heat 75-76 during the day but it always seems to end up at 74 once my husband comes home. :D I also do a lot of laundry. Summer runs between $250-$300.

TiggeRia
07-31-2012, 03:05 PM
I have an 1800 sq ft townhome. The AC pretty much runs round the clock 70-73 degrees all summer. Everything in our house runs electric, but I must say I don't use the stove all that often.....July's electric bill was $68...woohoo!!

Lizzy
07-31-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm in Central Fl, we have a family of 5, and we work opposite schedules so someone is always home. Our 2000 sq ft home is running $230 month. It's outrageous!

tinkwest
07-31-2012, 04:16 PM
We rent a 1,600 sq ft house with NO a/c and pay $300+ for gas and electric during the summer. We run lots of fans this time of year!

princessgirls
08-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Try to be efficient, and cost effective.

Electric is about $150/$200 in the summer with the air running non-stop. Kick it up to 77 when I leave in the morning, down to 74 when I come home, to 70 when we sleep.

Gas...so cheap in the summer. Last bill $24 bucks. We have gas stove, hot water heater and dryer. The only thing that gets a work out is the dryer and hot water heater. $24 bucks. That goes up to $150 in the winter for heat though.
Usually our utility bill is not much over $200 a month. No complaints for a 2,000 Square foot cape.
Julie:mickey:

princessgirls
08-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Our townhouse is about 3,800 sq. ft. We like to keep it really cool (typically 70 degrees), but we have mostly gas ... stove, dryer, hot water heater, etc. so you'd think we wouldn't use too much.

Our bill for June was close to $600!!! :eek: Although that's combined gas/electric and with six people in the family we do use a lot of hot water.

The utility company is going to send you a Thank You!

Ian
08-06-2012, 09:26 AM
The utility company is going to send you a Thank You!
Julie:mickey:Ha ... actually no ... I have to amend my post.

Turns out they made a mistake on my bill and hadn't shown the credit for my prior month's payment. I got my bill this month and it was only for like $180. Couldn't figure out why it was so low until I realized that they were crediting me like $250 from last month.

PHEW! :whew:

Tink#64
08-07-2012, 01:10 AM
I've tried to make differences in our energy efficiency & our last gas & electric bill was just over $300.00! Of course temps here in Lou., KY have hung in the 100 dregree area since early June! We've broken records left & right! And the humidty in the Ohio Valley - WOW! We rival anyplace out there on humidity! Of course laundry & showers for fam of four, 2 fridge's, pool pump running all the time, pretty much all electric in the summer! So I plan for it now, pretty much June, July & Aug elctric & gas bills, total about $1,000.00 for the summer the last couple of years! UGGG! :mad:

VWL Mom
08-07-2012, 07:17 AM
You guys are killing me! My electric bill last month was $782! DH has been after me to switch from JCPL to another provider but I don't want to end up with some flash in the pan company so I'm still looking.

BrerGnat
08-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Electricity costs vary WIDELY around the country.

We are paying about $100/month LESS, on average, for our house here in VA that is over 3000 sq ft than we were for our 1200 sq ft apartment in Southern Calfornia.

Our last electric bill was around $225, and that's about as high as it will get this year. July is always the worst month for us. We keep our AC to 75 day/71 night.

princessgirls
08-09-2012, 01:34 PM
You guys are killing me! My electric bill last month was $782! DH has been after me to switch from JCPL to another provider but I don't want to end up with some flash in the pan company so I'm still looking.

I'm thinking you must have a heated inground pool!

We have JCP&L as well. We live in Wayne, but right on the Morris County border. I haven't found a much cheaper provider either. Friends that live in our neighborhood and I had this conversation while on vacation last week.
That is a high bill. Wow....

Hull-onian
08-09-2012, 03:45 PM
about $300 per month in the summer and about $300 per month in the winter. We live in Mass and have gas heat for the winter. Our gas bill is under $90.00 per month. We have gas hot water,dryer,heat, and cooking. I think our electric bill (for a town with TWO windmills) is way too much money.$$$$........

MNNHFLTX
08-09-2012, 06:22 PM
about $300 per month in the summer and about $300 per month in the winter. We live in Mass and have gas heat for the winter. Our gas bill is under $90.00 per month. We have gas hot water,dryer,heat, and cooking. I think our electric bill (for a town with TWO windmills) is way too much money.$$$$........They have windmills in Hull now?

thrillme
08-10-2012, 09:58 AM
WOW...I'd love some of y'alls AC bills.

2,200 2 story, summer our bills are about 350-375. We only have ONE energy company...so there's no choice but to stay with them.

I like it at 67. But during the day when we're not at home we'll let it go up to about 78. I hate letting it go higher than that because it's so much harder to "cool" back down. I HATE SUMMER :mad:

In the winter we can get it as low as $150-220. One year the temps in the winter season stayed around 20-50...My AC bill was actually around $100. I don't need heat.