PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with unknown schedule and ADR's?

lawgirl
07-30-2012, 10:17 AM
When it comes to Disney dining, we are usually a spontaneous family...we don't really make more than 1 or 2 ADR's for the trip, and like to kinda take it as it comes.

This time my dad really wants to go back to San Angel Inn. I know the day we are going (its a Thursday) but I don't know exactly when we'll be ready to eat or even when exactly we'll be at Epcot that day. We have 2 small children so we are trying to play it all by ear...but this is the only request he has for dining, so I want to make sure we don't miss out.

Is it bad to make multiple reservations for lunch and dinner and cancel when we know what our day's schedule will be? I don't see anyway around it other than risking it and not making any ADR's and just showing up and trying to get a table. I hate being tied down to a particular time and schedule (which is why we usually don't do ADR's) but I don't want to miss his one dining request.

I guess its ok as long as I call and cancel in advance. Any thoughts?

MaterializedHaunt
07-30-2012, 11:20 AM
I can understand not wanting to be tied down to a time and such, but if this is the ONE place he wants to eat, then I would make this an acception and give yourself an ADR for it and plan that part of the day around it. Just my thought.

darthmacho
07-30-2012, 11:35 AM
I can understand not wanting to be tied down to a time and such, but if this is the ONE place he wants to eat, then I would make this an acception and give yourself an ADR for it and plan that part of the day around it. Just my thought.

That makes sense to me too. :mickey:

Tygger7
07-30-2012, 01:08 PM
I agree with the previous posters...since you're only talking about one ADR, and it's very important to your father, make an ADR and work your day around it. To make it easier, just plan the day you make the ADR to be your Epcot day. It's really not as tough as it seems and it will mean a lot to your dad. Also, maybe try for an "off" time...either a late lunch or early dinner (around the 3-5pm range). That will give you all day to explore before dinner, and will give you the option of leaving on the earlier side after dinner if the kids are fussy.

Good luck!

SBETigg
07-30-2012, 01:23 PM
The problem with making multiple same day-same place ADRs from the same travel party is that the computer system recognizes reservations within similar time frames (two hours at a time or more) and will bump one or more of them from the system. You might not even know which ADR was kept and which got booted. It's a risky strategy, and also it keeps other people who really want to eat there from finding those available times.

The way we manage to make ADRs in advance for places we really want to eat at is to pick a time, schedule it, and work around it. As previous posters suggested. If you would rather try your luck and be spontaneous, it might work out. It might not. But scheduling multiple ADRs probably won't work out as you hope.

whitney37354
07-30-2012, 01:30 PM
I say make a plan for an EPCOT day on that day & make an ADR for that restaurant. The other days you can "wing it". Sometimes there has to be some organization amid the chaos!

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Our ADR's drive our plans.

We make ADR's for the places that we really want to eat, and we work around them.

Especially if you only have a couple of ADR's planned, make them for a time you know is usually good (ie not during naptime for the little ones) and go to them.

Seasonscraps
07-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Our ADR's drive our plans.

We make ADR's for the places that we really want to eat, and we work around them.

Especially if you only have a couple of ADR's planned, make them for a time you know is usually good (ie not during naptime for the little ones) and go to them.

This is how we go about it also. We'll only make 2-3 ADRs for some of our must haves and then back in to the rest of the day's plans. For instance we like to have lunch at LTT so on that day we're not going to eat a big breakfast at 10:30.

We never book anything that requires a credit card hold so if for some reason we really don't feel like going, we'll call & cancel.

spinnerf
07-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I would make one reservation closest to what you think you can make. Honestly, I have been early and late, probably as much as an hour in either direction and have never been refused (except one time at Le Cellier when the hostess asked the manager and the manager allowed us to eat). Of course, there is always a chance they will say no, I doubt it, but they could. So if its THAT important to you....

Dopey's Girl
07-30-2012, 07:52 PM
I hate ADR's but it is what it is, and if you want to eat someplace specific, you just have to bite the bullet. I only make a few each trip, so I don't have to be a slave to a schedule. Make your ADR for an early lunch or dinner, and make it work!

Good luck!

AllDisney
07-30-2012, 09:28 PM
It's your dad making this request. Just do it. Having lost my father a few years ago I don't look back with any regrets. Imagine the look on your dad's face when you walk over to San Angel Inn and tell him that you do have reservations :cloud9:

disneynarula
07-31-2012, 07:31 AM
WDW reservations will not let you make more than one ADR for one time slot . It is also not really great form to make ADRs if you might not use it. Like most of us here you will have to make an ADR and work your day around it.

lawgirl
07-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks for all of the advice. I always want to be as considerate as possible in every situation, and would never want to keep someone else from being able to make ADR's...the only thing I was considering would be to make one early (say, 11:30 am), and then a late one, (like 4:00 pm) just in case we get a late start with the kids or end up in another park that morning and can't get there in time (but we'll just plan on being there regardless). And I would definitely cancel ASAP so as to not hold that time slot from someone else. I wasn't meaning to impy I would make several ADR's at the same time, which as stated earlier, the computer system won't even allow you to do.

It's so hard when you have such a short period of time to see and do everything you want, so you really do have to narrow it down to the most important things to you, then plan around those things. We only go once a year, and usually don't spend more than a day or two at the actual parks, so its a little nerve wracking for me to try and plan a trip for 6 people, trying to work up a schedule that will allow us to do what everyone wants, and still not be running around like crazy trying to do it all. And on top of that trying to maintain some kind of "normal" schedule for my kids!

So, we'll just plan our day around that one meal. We'll make it work! We usually make at least 1 ADR per trip for somewhere nice, and it's always worked before. I was a little worried this time since its the first time we'll be going with our 2 very young children. Before it's always just been 4 adults to deal with, and we've always had a really open schedule. I guess I just wanted to know what other people's strategies are for dealing with tight schedules...but it looks like the best thing is to just make the ADR and plan the day around it, including nap time, etc...

Thanks again! I always appreciate everyone's input.

MaterializedHaunt
07-31-2012, 11:44 AM
and usually don't spend more than a day or two at the actual parks

6 people to do all the parks in 1-2 days? I have trouble doing 10 days with 2 people!:confused:

I was a little worried this time since its the first time we'll be going with our 2 very young children. Before it's always just been 4 adults to deal with, and we've always had a really open schedule.

You will have strollers I am assuming, so this will help immensely in the travelling. Just have snacks on hand and a little fan also is a big help to the kids and keeping them cool from that FL heat.

lawgirl
07-31-2012, 01:27 PM
6 people to do all the parks in 1-2 days? I have trouble doing 10 days with 2 people!:confused:

You will have strollers I am assuming, so this will help immensely in the travelling. Just have snacks on hand and a little fan also is a big help to the kids and keeping them cool from that FL heat.

I know...1-2 days seems crazy. But we've been going to WDW for forever it seems. My dad was there on opening day, and we've been back, not necessarily every year since then, but almost:mickey:

So we have our routine down when we go...of course when the kids are a little older (3 month old and 2 YO...so we have a few years) Im sure we will have to go back to doing a whole week of parks. But anyways, we have our routine (Epcot mostly, AK, sometimes brief stop at HS, then MK for the parties), and we know what we as a group like to do. And honestly we love the AKL so much that we love just hanging at the hotel and enjoying the room, lobby, bar, and pool.

And since Im the unofficial trip planner for the family, the schedule is pretty much up to me to plan and figure out. This time for some reason Ive been a litle more OCD about details, might be because I am a former lawyer turned stay at home mom with 2 young kids! I am a detail person, and like to have things scheduled and mapped out, and its always worked really well before, so I just need to chill a little.

And yes definitely taking strollers. Im going to look for the fan bc I've heard from several people that they are priceless!

darthmacho
07-31-2012, 01:45 PM

We're doing 14 days and I feel like THAT's not enough! :blush:

lawgirl
07-31-2012, 06:36 PM

Wow! That's awesome! So how many days do you spend at the parks? And actually, how do you afford 14 days at WDW?!

I think the longest time we've been for is 7 days, and that felt like quite a long time! I can't imagine 14 days.

#1donaldfan
08-01-2012, 12:16 PM
I know...1-2 days seems crazy. But we've been going to WDW for forever it seems. My dad was there on opening day, and we've been back, not necessarily every year since then, but almost:mickey:

So we have our routine down when we go...of course when the kids are a little older (3 month old and 2 YO...so we have a few years) Im sure we will have to go back to doing a whole week of parks. But anyways, we have our routine (Epcot mostly, AK, sometimes brief stop at HS, then MK for the parties), and we know what we as a group like to do. And honestly we love the AKL so much that we love just hanging at the hotel and enjoying the room, lobby, bar, and pool.

And since Im the unofficial trip planner for the family, the schedule is pretty much up to me to plan and figure out. This time for some reason Ive been a litle more OCD about details, might be because I am a former lawyer turned stay at home mom with 2 young kids! I am a detail person, and like to have things scheduled and mapped out, and its always worked really well before, so I just need to chill a little.

And yes definitely taking strollers. Im going to look for the fan bc I've heard from several people that they are priceless!

I am new to AKL, but with all things possible will only go there from now on !! We are planning on going back the week of Thanksgiving and just hanging out at the resort and maybe hitting one park, not sure. We too have our routines and we can do all four parks in one day, even during the summer....it's tiring and fast paced, but fun, at times !!!! :cool:

lawgirl
08-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I am new to AKL, but with all things possible will only go there from now on !! We are planning on going back the week of Thanksgiving and just hanging out at the resort and maybe hitting one park, not sure. We too have our routines and we can do all four parks in one day, even during the summer....it's tiring and fast paced, but fun, at times !!!! :cool:

Yay! I LOVE the AKL. It's the only place we really stay now. It's become our favorite resort we've ever stayed in , anywhere! We love just hanging out at the resort, and the restaurants there are great. So cool!

beksy
08-02-2012, 12:35 AM

We did 15 days two years ago and it flew by! As to how we managed cost...a lot of saving and cost-cutting in other areas :mickey: Mom was going into a risky surgury that spring so my sister and I pooled our resources (with some help from Mom's mom) and took her on her dream trip. That many days will give you time to enjoy the little things (we did a boat ride) and let Mom have her afternoon nap and sit-down meals with plenty of park time but we still didn't get to do it all. Each trip we plan to do mini-golf and we haven't made it yet! :blush: Enjoy your time with your Dad...that can be just as precious as the memories with your kids. :thumbsup:

lawgirl
08-02-2012, 12:19 PM
We did 15 days two years ago and it flew by! As to how we managed cost...a lot of saving and cost-cutting in other areas :mickey: Mom was going into a risky surgury that spring so my sister and I pooled our resources (with some help from Mom's mom) and took her on her dream trip. That many days will give you time to enjoy the little things (we did a boat ride) and let Mom have her afternoon nap and sit-down meals with plenty of park time but we still didn't get to do it all. Each trip we plan to do mini-golf and we haven't made it yet! :blush: Enjoy your time with your Dad...that can be just as precious as the memories with your kids. :thumbsup:

Wow...that is so sweet! I love to hear about stuff like that. Im sure it meant the (Disney) world to your mom!

My sis lives in Hawaii so we make regular trips there every year...so between WDW and Hawaii we have some pretty expensive vacations every year...not complaning at all, just it gets pricey!

Yes I will enjoy and soak up every second of fun with my parents and kids...we are all so excited we can't wait!