PDA

View Full Version : Best choice for party of 5

waymickey
07-30-2012, 10:04 AM
We are hoping to visit WDW next summer with our DD and our two nieces. That means five .... The girls are 19, 19, and 21. So they are not kids anymore. My DD was there 2 years ago but my nieces have not been there in over ten years.

So is it better to stay at a resort that sleeps five or better to get two rooms? And what do you suggest for either? Money is a factor. We would like to keep costs down. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks:thumbsup:

AgentC
07-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Based at on the ages of the girls and since you are trying to keep costs down, I think your best options (depending on how much you want to spend) would be two rooms at a value or a moderate or the AOA suites.

We are usually a party of 5 (my family plus my mom) and we often stay in the Deluxes because most hold 5, but you are still in one room and you only have one bathroom. As my kids get older,w e are finding it more crammed and having been moving up to the villas or two rooms.

I'm thinking with 3 girls an extra bathroom is a huge plus. :D Plus the extra room gives everyone a bit of privacy.

tinxmom
07-30-2012, 10:15 AM
We are a family of five (older teenage and college kids now) and have many times stayed at POP and gotten two rooms. Biggest deal for us is two bathrooms for five people getting up and out in the morning! One time we splurged and did two rooms at POR, which also worked well.

Skippy
07-30-2012, 10:51 AM
The suites or two rooms for the sake of having two bathrooms.

mini
08-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Least expensive would be two rooms at a value.

phillydan
08-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Keep in mind that the cost is also determined on what time of year you are going. For my most recent trip, 1 room at POR for 5 with my PIN code discount was cheaper than 2 rooms at a value.

We have 2 teen girls (16 & 15) and a 10 year old boy; he got the Murphy bed. Everyone was quite comfortable with sleeping.

As mentioned, the only real down side was only 1 bathroom...guess who had to get the last shower each night?? Also, every square inch of the bathroom counter had some sort of beauty product on it!

azcavalier
08-03-2012, 03:46 PM
With the youngest in your party being 19, I think that one room at POR would be awful. Two rooms at a value is still cheaper than a suite at AOA or ASM.

Are you opposed to staying offsite? I've heard of some *great* deals for some awesome off-site places.

eandrsmom
08-04-2012, 05:34 PM
We are a family of six, and now stay offsite. We were able to get a 2br/2ba condo for a fraction of what Disney charges. I'd recommend staying offsite if you'll have a car.

LVT
08-05-2012, 09:30 AM
I do the 2 connecting rooms at POP. Usually cheaper than 1 moderate room.
1. 2 baths
2. More space
3. Fewer "extra adult" charges
4. Older kids can communicate if desired and go their own way on the WDW transporataion.
5. 2 small fridges, rather than 1

Mitzie
08-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Absolute bottom dollar for our family of 5 is POR. I think in most cases one room there is cheaper than two at a value. Yes things can get tight and we haven't been there since the reno. I know from pictures I have seen of the new rooms in the AB section, I am glad they changed the sink area..storage there was always rough. If you don't mind cozy..I think that is your least expensive route.

Tigerinvestigator
08-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Absolutely the Dolphin. Usually cheaper than the moderates, cheaper than two value and if you are an SPG member (its free), have a teacher, nurse, or gov't employee in your party, have a AAA card, you can stay there for much less than any other resort that accomodates 5 people. It is our home away from home. Easy walk to Epcot, quick boatride to DHS, and you have all of the other resorts that are in easy walking distance including the Boardwalk. Get a balcony and it has some of the best views of WDW. :thumbsup:

azcavalier
08-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Absolutely the Dolphin. Usually cheaper than the moderates, cheaper than two value and if you are an SPG member (its free), have a teacher, nurse, or gov't employee in your party, have a AAA card, you can stay there for much less than any other resort that accomodates 5 people. It is our home away from home. Easy walk to Epcot, quick boatride to DHS, and you have all of the other resorts that are in easy walking distance including the Boardwalk. Get a balcony and it has some of the best views of WDW. :thumbsup:

The Dolphin sleeps five? Whenever I go to the Disney Parks site to look at hotels, it just lists it as having two double beds. And it's in the same price as the deluxe hotels, not the mods.

natstroop
08-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Also, does staying at Swan and Dolphin qualify you for free dining during eligible dates?

waymickey
08-09-2012, 09:19 PM

MY DH and I are both Teachers so we could get a discount? My DN is also a brand new teacher. We never thought of staying at the dolphin. We also did not know it slept 5. How much do they charge for parking and do they have bus transportation there?
I would be traveling in the summer. Most likely end of July or start of Aug.
Off site really would not work without a car and the girls are looking to park hop using the buses.
thanks for all the recommendations and please keep them coming we still are trying to decide where to stay. We were thinking about maybe the new little mermaid rooms? Are they crazy $$$ like AOA suites?

minnie04
08-10-2012, 10:25 AM
With the girls being 19, 19 & 21 I would stay at the Dolphin or Swan with a discount. :mickey:
I know the values are probably cheaper, but they are older and probably want to be around young adults rather than little kids...(I know there are all ages everywhere, but still being teachers I'm sure you guys would enjoy the peace and quiet)..

Tigerinvestigator
08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
The Dolphin sleeps five? Whenever I go to the Disney Parks site to look at hotels, it just lists it as having two double beds. And it's in the same price as the deluxe hotels, not the mods.

It does sleep five although the Swan is listed at only four, and I assure you with any of these discounts it is much cheaper than a moderate. We stay twice a year and I have never paid more than $159 a night and have rooms as low as $99 per night. Other than holidays when the prices are jacked up it is cheaper than any of the moderate.:thumbsup:

Tigerinvestigator
08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
MY DH and I are both Teachers so we could get a discount? My DN is also a brand new teacher. We never thought of staying at the dolphin. We also did not know it slept 5. How much do they charge for parking and do they have bus transportation there?
I would be traveling in the summer. Most likely end of July or start of Aug.
Off site really would not work without a car and the girls are looking to park hop using the buses.
thanks for all the recommendations and please keep them coming we still are trying to decide where to stay. We were thinking about maybe the new little mermaid rooms? Are they crazy $$$ like AOA suites?

Yes you would be eligible for that discount if rooms are available. The Swan/Dolphin have the same transportation as the other parks with bus service to MK, AK, DTD, and the water parks. Boat service is to Epcot and DHS, but it is actually quicker to walk to Epcot most of the time. I don't believe you are eligible for the free dining at the Swan/Dolphin but we never go when it is offered anyway.:thumbsup:

azcavalier
08-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Do Swan & Dolphin patrons also qualify for EMH?

faline
08-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Yes

Tigerinvestigator
08-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Basically the big differences are that Swan/Dolphin do not participate in Magical Express, you can't have items shipped from the park to your room, and you can't use your room key for charging privileges in the parks (although you can use it at the resort).
They have a Disney guest relations desk in the lobby, a Disney resort store just like the other resorts, and all of the Disney transportation. You just show your room key at the parks for EMH just like the Disney owned resorts.:thumbsup:

Gator
08-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I had some family stay at the Polynesiain. They said the 5th bed isn't real comfortable, but resort is definitely worth it.

LandFan
08-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Basically the big differences are... you can't have items shipped from the park to your room.:thumbsup:

Actually - as far as I know, you CAN have items delivered to your room from the gift shops... I just checked on this recently as we are staying there this fall (with the teacher discount) ourselves for the first time... If I am mistaken, I am sure someone will be along to correct me but I think that you can ship stuff back :D

Tigerinvestigator
08-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Actually - as far as I know, you CAN have items delivered to your room from the gift shops... I just checked on this recently as we are staying there this fall (with the teacher discount) ourselves for the first time... If I am mistaken, I am sure someone will be along to correct me but I think that you can ship stuff back :D

You are correct. I just checked with the resort and you can now have your packages shipped to the Dolphin.

ewasilau
08-17-2012, 11:11 PM
We also have 5 in our family - but the kids are only 8, 6 and 4. It pains me to pay so much for a room when we just want a place to crash on-site. I love POP, but 2 rooms is too much $. Can you book one room and then buy your park tickets separately? Our 4 year old ends up in our bed anyway . . . Even if that led to us losing our EMH, we wouldn't care.

Mitzie
08-19-2012, 10:55 AM
We stayed at the Dolphin one spring and it is very nice. You can't beat that location. You did share buses with YC/BC and BWI. Our problem was the vanity area. At the Dolphin, our sink area was a 'L' shape and it made it very tight. More than one person trying to get ready in that location would be rough...something to consider with several females in your party.

Hammer
08-19-2012, 03:51 PM
We also have 5 in our family - but the kids are only 8, 6 and 4. It pains me to pay so much for a room when we just want a place to crash on-site. I love POP, but 2 rooms is too much $. Can you book one room and then buy your park tickets separately? Our 4 year old ends up in our bed anyway . . . Even if that led to us losing our EMH, we wouldn't care.

When you book your room, WDW reservations require all family members need to be listed on your room reservation, regardless of when you purchase your park tickets. Port Orleans Riverside has rooms that sleep 5.

waymickey
08-20-2012, 08:58 AM
I am still planning my vacation. I am thinking either the Swan/dolphin or the new AOA suites. My girls 19,19,21 really don't care where they stay as long as they all get to go. But is the fifth bed at AOA really the table??? My girls are kinda big with one 6'0. I don't think she would be comfy on a flipped table.:confused: :(

disneydoug
08-20-2012, 09:07 AM
We probably stayed at the All Stars 30 times in the early days of visiting. Probably Beach Club in the last 10 years.

disneydoug
08-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Beach Club and Boardwalk are best for us. We can walk or take a water taxi to EPCOT and HS. We can walk through EPCOT and take a monorail to MK. Buses are available to MK and AK.

Donald Duck
02-03-2013, 01:40 PM
I looked on Swan and Dolphin website. Swan says room has 2 queen beds and Dolphin says 2 double beds.

How do they sleep 5 ?
Is there a pull-out sofa ?

Thanks.

Donald Duck

Mitzie
02-05-2013, 08:48 AM
I looked on Swan and Dolphin website. Swan says room has 2 queen beds and Dolphin says 2 double beds.

How do they sleep 5 ?
Is there a pull-out sofa ?

Thanks.

Donald Duck

When we stayed at the Dolphin as a family of 5 we had a roll-a-way bed in the room. The bed was a nice size but made the room rather tight and it didn't fold away or anything.

Donald Duck
02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks Mitzie

Mitzie
02-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks Mitzie

Not a problem. When we were there we put the roll-a-way bed up against the big window and we were several floors up. Our DS loved it..he could lay there and look out over YC/BC or down at the big clam shell water feature. Someone scared of heights might not like that but he thought it was great!

Tigger68
02-20-2013, 11:04 PM
I am still planning my vacation. I am thinking either the Swan/dolphin or the new AOA suites. My girls 19,19,21 really don't care where they stay as long as they all get to go. But is the fifth bed at AOA really the table??? My girls are kinda big with one 6'0. I don't think she would be comfy on a flipped table.:confused: :(

Just got back from POR. Two beds & a Murphy bed which flips down from the wall. It's small & Disney only recommends it for use in kids up to age 9. My 6 yr old was fine but there is no way my 17 yr old would have fit. I wasn't impressed with POR; will look into two value rooms or Dolphin in the future.