PDA

View Full Version : Wifi TV - youtube

mook3y
07-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Last night we sat and watched about 2 hours of youtube videos with the kids on our wifi enabled tv. Anyone else do this? Its amazing how much good quality video is out there.

The kids would take turns asking for something to pull up.

Was a lot of fun! It is really cool to be able to pull youtube up right through our TV. :number1:

faline
07-29-2012, 06:45 PM
I still find it amazing how quickly technology has changed our lives!!

MaterializedHaunt
07-29-2012, 07:26 PM
and to think just a decade ago there were lines of of payphones near the bathrooms. :D

Dixie Springs
07-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Definitely. And lots of good Disney content out there...

caryrae
07-29-2012, 08:13 PM
It's something how much you can do. We have a Tivo, PS3, and appletv and between the 3 I can look at youtube, Hulu+, netflix, and rent movies plus lots of other things.

DizneyRox
07-29-2012, 08:15 PM
95% of my TV comes from the Internet. I cut the cord almost two years ago now I believe and haven't looked back; saved about $100 a month to boot.

The 5% comes from a TV server I built that distributes live OTA TV to every set in the house and that is also my DVR on the off chance I want/need to record something. Everything else comes from the net, I'm never at a loss for something to watch.

mook3y
07-29-2012, 08:43 PM
The 5% comes from a TV server I built that distributes live OTA TV to every set in the house and that is also my DVR on the off chance I want/need to record something. Everything else comes from the net, I'm never at a loss for something to watch.

This is on my todo list. I have almost all of my movie collection in digital format now and use a WD box. Amazing quality! Can't tell the difference between blu-ray.

TV server is the way to go though. Hopefully get around to it in the next year or 2.

DizneyRox
07-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Team Mediaportal makes it pretty easy...

I use XBMC with a few web stream consolidation scripts (free cable), the XBMC interface blows everything else away. Most of it can be run on old hardware many people have sitting around, I suggest going with low power hardware if it's going to be a more permanent solution.

mook3y
07-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Team Mediaportal makes it pretty easy...

I use XBMC with a few web stream consolidation scripts (free cable), the XBMC interface blows everything else away. Most of it can be run on old hardware many people have sitting around, I suggest going with low power hardware if it's going to be a more permanent solution.

Yeah, my concern was heat. have lots of old hardware sitting around. Thanks for the info, will check it out.

DizneyRox
07-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Power is 33%, heat is 33%, noise is 33%... 1% is nerd factor buying new hardware (cuz it has to add up to 100%).

Building a HTPC is almost the exact opposite as building a regular PC. Just enough to get the job done is all you need, going with low power components is key. We're talking only dual core CPUs, $15 graphics cards, 2G memory, and low power hard drives or even USB flash drives. That's at the TV, in the basement is where you put all the stuff that makes heat/noise.

BrerGnat
07-30-2012, 09:51 AM
My two boys LOVE You Tube. They watch it through our TiVO box as well as the computer, cell phone, ipod touch, DSi, etc.

I am amazed at how much useful teaching information is available on You Tube. As long as you apply a basic parental filter, none of the questionable content comes up. My son has learned how to count to 100 in about 15 different languages, and has learned about 12 different language alphabets. He recently mastered Roman numerals in about 2 days. He has learned all about electricity, GFCI outlets, vacuum motors, gears, rube goldberg machines, etc.

My little one spends time watching extreme coasters and waterslide videos, as well as a bunch of "X Games" type sports. We are in trouble with him when he gets older. ;)

Honestly, though, YouTube is amazing. I sometimes think we could have our kids skip school altogether and just learn via You Tube videos. :blush:

Tink#64
08-09-2012, 11:43 PM
I have 2 teens DS's so yeah, we do that - EVERYDAY! :tv: We actually share a lot of laughs together doing this! Isn't technology amazing! My DS's find the funniest things & love to share them to see if everyone else finds it as funny as they do! :haha:Good times with family, no matter where you are or what you're doing, - it just doesn't get any better! :dance: