PDA

View Full Version : 10yo adult?

disneyfan1117
07-27-2012, 01:35 PM
My son will be 10 next visit. he is a picky eater and will never select from adult menus - may he order from child's menu?

mydisneygirls
07-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes he will.

kakn7294
07-27-2012, 03:05 PM
At buffets and family-style meals, he will be charged the adult price. At menu restaurants and counter-service locations, he may order from the child's menu if he wishes.

NewDVCowner
07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
If you are getting the dining plan you will be charged for an adult for him, too.

Strmchsr
07-27-2012, 03:28 PM
If you are getting the dining plan you will be charged for an adult for him, too.

Correct. For that reason if you're considering the dining plan you might reconsider. You might come off much better paying OOP, sharing meals, etc if your son is a picky eater. It's not a problem for him to order from the kid's menu but you'll end up losing a lot of money/value that way on the dining plan, especially at table service locations. As soon as my son turned 10 we started paying for dining OOP and haven't looked back.

Maleficent's Dad
07-27-2012, 04:10 PM
We've encountered the same problem as the OP. My 13 year old son is very picky - NOT an adventurous eater at all. My daughter, now 11, will try anything (and has quite the foodie palate!). This has been the case since they were quite young.

So in finer dining establishments, my 6' tall son orders nuggets and fries. My daughter? One never knows, but anything from roast duck (her fave) to the chef's special at the Flying Fish.

It's funny. But I guess Disney banks on kids eating more at age 10, thus affecting the bottom line. No easy solution, but at 10, you're an adult when dining in WDW.

Back to the question at hand, my son usually orders from the kids' menu. My daughter rarely does so. So it shouldn't be a problem for you. Just ask for an extra kids' menu when being seated.

Oh, and the above info on the DDP is good to know. We've never used it, but take that cost into account.

Catzle
07-27-2012, 04:16 PM
I hate that they consider a 10 yr old an adult for dining. In the parks I can see they are tall enough and can do all of the same rides adults do. With restaurants though the adult food seems to be much fancier or different than children would like. But I guess that's how they make the money.

disneyfan1117
07-27-2012, 05:34 PM
thank you all for being incredibly helpful we did figure we'd have to give up the DDP that we love - o well

anewvision
07-27-2012, 11:11 PM
I am 47 years old and I eat off the kids menu at counter service all the time(resorts and parks). No one(CM) has ever said anything to me. I just can't eat the adult portions. It's the main reasons I think the Dining Plan is a total waste of money for some.

MNNHFLTX
07-28-2012, 01:49 PM
I hate that they consider a 10 yr old an adult for dining. In the parks I can see they are tall enough and can do all of the same rides adults do. With restaurants though the adult food seems to be much fancier or different than children would like. But I guess that's how they make the money.It all depends on the child. My son has always been an adventurous diner too and at 10 years old he was more than ready to eat off the regular menu. Even when he was younger he often wanted to order from the adult menu because he got so tired of what was on the kids menu.

I think the point about the dining plan is a good one (as it relates to 10 years or older). Sometimes a person really needs to sit down and crunch numbers to make sure the free dining is really a cost-saver.