PDA

View Full Version : Resale restrictions

Harkleroad
07-26-2012, 12:25 AM
My husband and I are considering joining the DVC. Here is our general info. We travel to WDW once a year(usually Oct.) with our two boys now 3 & 6. Our vactions are planned about a year in advance. We typically stay at a value or moderate, but space is becoming an issue. In the last 13 years we have made 8 trips with 9 coming this Oct. If we had purchased DVC when we started it would have been paid off with what we have spent over the years. I have read many of the pros/cons. Our plan is to purchase using our tax returns plus a little savings next year to avoid financing. It will not harm us to spend the money, but it is a big decision for us. I know that the interest with annual fees would basically defeat the savings over the years. My concern is the purchase of resale vs Disney. If we do not purchase directly through Disney what can we not use our points on? I know that international travel and cruises are out. Right now it is our boys favorite place but as they get older I want to be able to take them other places besides WDW with the option to return if they still love it. Would resale restrict us too much? The agent at Disney said that if I purchase resale through them I can still use the points anywhere but the cost is still much more that other resale companies. I can get more points through someone else or get fewer points through Disney and still have all my options. I appreciate any help/advice :)

DizneyRox
07-26-2012, 06:12 AM
RCI is still an option, however, RCI is a contract and that contract could change. I'm not sure that staying elsewhere is actually a right for DVC.

They used to contract with II, but that changed a number of years ago, I have to assume it can change again. I don't know that they have to contract with ANYONE.

VWL Mom
07-26-2012, 08:13 AM
IMO using points outside of DVC is just not a good use of points because of the high amount of points/person required. Since resale is running about 50% cheaper than through Disney I think it's the way to go.

azcavalier
07-26-2012, 08:55 AM
I didn't even realize that there were restrictions. We have two small contracts for the same home resort and the same use year, that total 50 points. It's enough for DW and I to go without the kids every other year for a week, which is perfect.

So, since we bought both of those resale, we couldn't use the points outside of a Disney Resort?

VWL Mom
07-26-2012, 09:01 AM
So, since we bought both of those resale, we couldn't use the points outside of a Disney Resort?

If you bought prior to March 2011 then you can still use your points outside of Disney.

Fron DVC MS

New Policy Announced for Re-sale Purchases
Disney Vacation ClubŪ has announced a new policy that limits access to certain Member Getaways exchanges for Ownership Interests purchased on the secondary market (also known as the re-sale market).
Under the new policy, Members who purchase from anyone other than Disney Vacation Development, Inc., on or after March 21, 2011, will not be eligible to use those Vacation Points to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. Those Vacation Points will instead be valid only for reservations at Disney Vacation Club resorts, as well as for RCIŪ exchanges, Club Cordial and Club Intrawest.

azcavalier
07-26-2012, 11:11 AM
If you bought prior to March 2011 then you can still use your points outside of Disney.

Fron DVC MS

Sweet! I believe we did that. Of course, I don't know that we ever will bother...

iloveokw
08-04-2012, 11:06 AM
OP Make sure you buy at the resort you wish to stay at because October is a very popular time especially with DVCers. That alone may restrict you to buying resale.:mickey: