PDA

View Full Version : Offically OLD and depressed

Disney4us2
07-25-2012, 03:39 PM
OK... just got my notification of my high school reunion... The 40 year reunion. Seems just like yesterday.... I guess many, many yesterdays.:blush: Didn't even think of it until I saw the save the date notification. In my mind I am still in my 20's. Never went to any of the others.

I don't feel old, but wow.... 40 years out of high school. Just wow.

Anyone else with an upcoming high school reunion?

SandmanGStefani24
07-25-2012, 03:56 PM
In my mind I am still in my 20's. Never went to any of the others.

I don't feel old, but wow....

I don't have a reunion coming up, but did just meet up on facebook with a friend who I worked with in 2003-04. At first I thought I had the wrong person when I saw their kids were graduating high school. After all, when I last saw him, his kids were only in the single digits. What I had forgotten to notice was that it's almost 10 YEARS later, and not just a little while ago as I felt. I still feel the same age, but whenever I see something like that I start to wonder...I think that's why lots of us love WDW. You check your age at the front gate.

I think a lot of people can relate to your story!

MaterializedHaunt
07-25-2012, 04:03 PM
We are all in our 20's nowadays right? (well I literally am in my 20's, 27 actually). I SHOULD be having my 10year reunion, but like most things, I wasn't invited and I live 1mile from my HS. Why was I not invited??? Not like I was going to go anyways. hehe :D

BriarRose0708
07-25-2012, 04:13 PM
We are all in our 20's nowadays right? (well I literally am in my 20's, 27 actually). I SHOULD be having my 10year reunion, but like most things, I wasn't invited and I live 1mile from my HS. Why was I not invited??? Not like I was going to go anyways. hehe :D
At least you know there was a reunion, my class leaders couldn't be bothered to put one together so we never had a 10th.

VWL Mom
07-25-2012, 04:17 PM
I'm right there with you Marci, my 40th is in the spring.

Funniest thing though, I was talking to one of my HS friends on FB and asked if she was going to the 30th reunion - she answered "yeah, 10 years ago". Where did the time go?

Dopey's Girl
07-25-2012, 04:40 PM
What should have been my 20th is coming up in a few years. We aren't having anything special, as the person who was in charge of seting them all up, stole all of the money we put in and bought her college text books!

disneymom15
07-25-2012, 04:50 PM
my husbands 35th is this year. Seems like yesterday. Where does the time go!

TinkerbellT421
07-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Received a Facebook invite for our ten year. And not to sound bitter but I'm not going, don't feel the need to see any of them. I kept in touch with my friends that I knew were real and true friends to this day. The others, I could careless to see. But that's just me lol.

mgmnut
07-25-2012, 06:27 PM
my 25th would be next year, if I were to go..... Not!

Now how can my 25th HS reunion be next year if I am only 32? I don't recall being a child prodigy. HEY WERE DID THE LAST 10 YEARS GO?

My last routine Dr's appointment I was complaining about aches and pains here and there and wondering what they are all from. My Dr asks "you realize you are no longer in your 20's right????" and then in a very humerous way says "Let's do a quick check, Can you tell me what year this is?"

I keep having to remind myself of my age, but guess that is a good thing. Better to be 42 and feel 32 than be 42 and feel 52.

tinkwest
07-25-2012, 06:47 PM
OK... just got my notification of my high school reunion... The 40 year reunion. . . .

I've got two more years before that particular milestone. But - WOW! - time sure does fly!

. . . In my mind I am still in my 20's. . . .

I'm like that, too. And that's a good thing!

Don't be depressed!

:old: or :babyroll: ?

BriarRose0708
07-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Received a Facebook invite for our ten year. And not to sound bitter but I'm not going, don't feel the need to see any of them. I kept in touch with my friends that I knew were real and true friends to this day. The others, I could careless to see. But that's just me lol.

Completely agree with you there! I keep in touch with 2 friends from high school and that's all! It's so much easier to keep track of people over Facebook anyway. I have friends who have gone back to their tenth reunions and the most common phrase heard is "oh yea, I saw you (insert new job, getting married, had kids, etc.) on Facebook!"

brad192
07-25-2012, 10:25 PM
I have been getting emails regarding my 36th reunion. Not planning on attending, but I wonder how some of my friends back then have managed.

I really feel old when I get these emails, but I think back to all those wonderful times & remember how they shaped my life.

To quote Maddie Ross from the remake of True Grit: "Time just slips away from us."

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
07-26-2012, 02:00 PM
My 25th is in October and I do plan on going to it - but only to spend the weekend with some classmates that I've rekindled friendships with. The rest of my graduating class - well it will be interesting seeing them, but well - I'm going to be in town that weekend any way because it is homecoming weekend for my daughter's College (she's in the marching band).

hoop de do
07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
You guys are making me feel really old. :old:
My 50th is coming up in Sept. Looks like we are going to have a good turnout also.
That is one reason I go to the WORLD, I can be a kid again and no one cares.
:mickey::babyroll::thumbsup:

DVC2004
07-26-2012, 04:46 PM
This is my 18th year out of high school (and that's wierd it was half a lifetime ago for me now!). I haven't been to any of the reunions. My old high school even sends around a newsletter. It goes to my mother's home and she always likes to bring it over and say, so and so works for the FBI and so and so is a doctor. Well, good for them. LOL. I didn't talk to them then and I still don't. Like someone said above, those I was friends with I still am and the rest, whatever. I do sort of feel old though, when you think about how many years have passed and how quickly time passes in general. It was just my birthday and wedding anniversary in thepast two weeks so I have also been feeling this way.

Weird story though, my husband went for his freshman year at one high school, then moved to the other side of the county (about 45 minutes away) and completed the other 3 years and graduated from another high school. He is super-private and hasn't kept in touch with anyone, isn't on Facebook. etc. A young lady he took to a dance once somehow tracked him down to invite him to the reunion- of the school he didn't graduate from. LOL. I think she is a stalker.;) And actually she's older than me so not a 'young" lady. Do people really go to H.S. reunions when they didn't graduate there? I would think you would go to the one you spent the most time at. Who knows.

Janmac
07-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I wonder what difference graduating class size makes? My graduating class was 51, and two or three were juniors with enough credits - something I didn't even know was allowed. Get out early!!! Cool. :thumbsup:

Anyway, my class has only had a few reunions - like 16th and one somewhere in the 20s and I think maybe 30th and possibly 39th (a few years ago) and that last one was a joint reunion with two other classes, trying to get a good sized group. At our 16th, we were saddened to realize that over 10 percent of our graduating class were no longer alive.

I have only been to two reunions mostly because it's not easy getting back to New York state. Originally I was like many posters on here - didn't care for many of my classmates, why would I want to see them. Amazingly, most of those have grown into friendly, generous, interesting people. (The reunion we had during the macarena craze was a hoot. Who'd a thunk it?!?) But there are a few that apparently will never change - for better or worse. :confused:

So, you never know . . . maybe a class reunion might be fun. It definitely is weird how time flies when we're getting old but better than the alternative.

Jan

Disney4us2
07-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks to all for sharing. Still don't know if I will go. I am in contact with one person from high school, actually from jr. high. She will be going, so it would be nice ti catch up with her (she lives in Colorado now).

I was asking my father how many years it has been since he graduated and it is probably around 75 years ago. He said if he went to his reunion he would probably be the only one there. He is now 92 years young, with a mind somewhere in his 50's.

I guess we both suffer from Peter Pan syndrome. At least I will get to be a kid again tomorrow.... we are off to Disneyland:mickey:

DisneyorBust
07-26-2012, 07:50 PM
30 year reunion is coming up for me. Not sure if I will go, like others here have said, things have changed so much and I don't keep in touch with anyone that I graduated with. I have no interest in Facebook. It might be nice and see how we all have changed! :D

wdwfansince75
07-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Ah, we are twenty...Oliver Wendell Holmes said it in "The Boys":

HAS there any old fellow got mixed with the boys?
If there has, take him out, without making a noise.
Hang the Almanac's cheat and the Catalogue's spite!
Old Time is a liar! We're twenty to-night!

Remember the world's best English teacher, Sister Jean, telling us one day, about 1957, that we would learn to appreciate that poem...Every so often, I get it out, and read it again.

Missed our fiftieth three years ago...2 years away from the 50th of The Great Class of 1964 at the Naval Academy...but when I am at Disney, I look forward to being twenty...not back.

DonLefNY
07-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Well, it's been 41 years since I got out of high school. But, I never get the reunion info as I've moved so much they can't find me. I only went to my 15th but, I hardly knew anyone there.

SBETigg
07-27-2012, 11:03 AM
You're not old! You're a classic. Think of all that wonderful life experience behind you, and still ahead.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-28-2012, 12:04 AM
I just realized my 40th is next year. How did that happen? I went to my 10th (?) and only recognized a couple of people. I couldn't figure out who the old people were! So I can only imagine what I'd think this time around. I didn't really hang around with too many people from my class though. I was hanging around with people who were older or younger or not from town. I don't know if my class has had one since the 15th or 20th, I forget which was the second one they had. I didn't go. And I had to laugh because someone had told me they tried to find me to invite me to another one but didn't know where I was living. Hello? I'm only 2 towns over and at the time my mother was still in her house! And my phone number is in the book. I wouldn't have gone anyway. One of the few people I was friends with I've found again on Facebook. What did we do before that? And I haven't even seen her in years; just chatted on facebook. I really need to make the effort to get together with her though. She was always a nice person. And her mother was my mother's maid of honor. Didn't know that for a long time until I mentioned her and my mom asked me who her parents were. Small World, hunh?
And if my 40th is next year I must have graduated at minus 15 years old!!

sgdisney
07-28-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm right there with you Marci, my 40th is in the spring.

I'm right there too....my 40th is next June. Does that make us all from the class of 73?

Not sure if I'm going or not. There is an ex husband in the same class, plus I keep in touch with the people that remained friends.

Lisaj13
07-31-2012, 04:49 PM
My 40th will be in 5 years. I went to the 10 year reunion, but as others have said I've kept in touch with the people I want to.

As for age:

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the heck happened!