PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom

riley1129
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Does anyone else find Animal Kingdom slightly boring? I enjoy the main attractions but I just feel as though after an hour or two I get bored.

I am open to suggestions of other rides/shows/ or attractions to try!

Kenny1113
07-25-2012, 10:55 AM
I used to. AK used to be my least favorite park. Until I started noticing the details. For example the bike tire marks in the ground. I love that about Disney!:mickey:

faline
07-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Have you walked the various trails? I love the see the gorillas and the tigers. I enjoy the carvings in the Tree of Life.

Wolf
07-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Animal Kingdom is my favorite park, I could spend a week there, the rides aren't even a big deal to me, I love EE and Kali but the place there, just wander it, walk and look at things, its so beautiful there, like the walk through area around Dinosaur with the dino statues with the sounds they make running around, ooh its just chilling! So much fun feeling the adventure!! The little store there in really cute too, its like a old roadside tourist trap. Rafiki's area is neat as well! Give AK another shot, its really a deep place you just gota embrace it and move slower :simba:

EJS-Houston
07-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Yeah...sorry Riley...I really don't. I find the big attractions thrilling, with Disney's characteristic mastery of detailed buildup in the queues...I'm fascinated by the amazing job Disney's done in creating beautiful, naturalistic habitats for the animals while allowing us to get up-close-and-personal...the "Bug's Life" 3D movie is my favorite from all the theme parks at DisneyWorld.... I love the Animal Kingdom and hope you'll give it a fresh chance to win you over.

VWL Mom
07-25-2012, 11:22 AM
I used to think it was boring until I took the time to really "see" AK. I don't do many of the rides and basically serve the purpose of fp runner in my family. The last few trips I've grabbed the camera and started to investigate the various trails instead. I've gotten some of the most amazing pictures of animals which I'm really proud of. Now my family has to wait for me.

joonyer
07-25-2012, 11:30 AM
You should definitely try the Pangani Forest trail in Africa (gorillas and hippos, as well as birds) and the Maharajah Jungle Trek (tigers, komodo dragon) and more birds. This trails are never crowded and you can take your time and go as slow as you want. We also never miss the Flights of Wonder bird show. It's really amazing and very funny. The Wildlife Express train to the Conservation Station is also very interesting and educational. Most of the park visitors miss these things, but they are definitely worth doing.

JROriole8Fan
07-25-2012, 11:41 AM
No one mentioning the Lion King Show? It is the best show in WDW, much better than the Broadway version. Also the Nemo musical? It is amazing, when you consider there was no music in the movie and it was all written for this show. Then the safari, where every time is different. Plus what everyone else mentioned, this is a great park and different from the rest!

#1donaldfan
07-25-2012, 11:57 AM
NO WAY !! AK is my favorite park !! The rides are great, but the atmosphere, walking around, the snacks, the food, the shows.....there are so many details I don't think I will ever be able to see them all !!! :cool:

DizneyRox
07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
It's probably not a stretch to say we spend more time at AK than the other 3 parks combined.

So, nope, not boring... Misunderstood certainly...

DNS
07-25-2012, 12:35 PM
All 4 parks have their own feel and pace, but Animal Kingdom for me is the best. The first time we went there, we rushed through just hitting attractions. Finished early and was a bit disappointed. Since then we take our time and really look around and enjoy. It really takes you to other parts of the world if you let yourself get absorbed in it. It is my favorite park now. People seem to either feel it or they don't.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
07-25-2012, 12:57 PM
It's probably not a stretch to say we spend more time at AK than the other 3 parks combined.

So, nope, not boring... Misunderstood certainly...

Best put. Well done!!

I would have to say that although it is my least favorite park, it has its charm. I am not one for the outdoors and safaris and hiking/ trail adventures do not excite me.
The details as most have mentioned is what separates it from all the other parks. The sounds and the smells puts you in the counties that Disney intended for the different areas. Atmosphere-wise it unmatched by the other 3. I will never understand one thing tho...the carnival games in Dino Land. Seems too generic and like any carnival I could attend at home. Certainly Disney could eliminate this and perhaps get back to providing the quaility that it is known for.

DizneyRox
07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
I will never understand one thing tho...the carnival games in Dino Land. Seems too generic and like any carnival I could attend at home. Certainly Disney could eliminate this and perhaps get back to providing the quaility that it is known for.
Google around for the back story on Dinoland USA. It's probably the most detailed backstory that I've heard. It's so detailed in fact that I can't help but think it came after Dinoland, not before.

The budget was cut for Animal Kingdom well before it opened andit opened as a partially complete park. The Discovery Boats weren't thought out well, Beastly Kingdom was cut, etc. I think Disney went and built up Dinoland USA to try to solve that, but did it cheap. Story is cheap, rides are not.

I will say it's an interesting story, but doesn't do anything to lessen the cheap factor I get walking through that area of the park. I wished they kept the old inflatable building they used to house the fossils in, etc. More educational stuff would have been my preference, not a bunch of carnival games.

Gator
07-25-2012, 05:46 PM
As long as it's not hot, I enjoy AK. If it's hot, then I'm bored and want to leave right away.

But the detail is so nicely done.

TinkerbellT421
07-25-2012, 06:01 PM
I love seeing the Flights of Wonder show. We have taken time in the past to walk the trails which is a lot of fun!

PETE FROM NYC
07-25-2012, 06:33 PM
I only hit AK if the group wants it. Personally, I could do without it.

darthmacho
07-25-2012, 07:30 PM
The Safari is my favorite ride in all of WDW, followed closely by Dinosaur. Everest is also a great ride. The walking trails are two of WDW's most underrated attractions, and the park overall is one of the most colorfully detailed and well themed.

Just having lunch at the Yak and Yeti is worth the price of admission. :mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
07-25-2012, 09:15 PM
I used to think it was boring until I took the time to really "see" AK.

I totally agree. I think folks that find this, or any of the Parks boring aren't truly taking the time to "see" them.

But, hey, please avoid AK if it's boring . . . .I really am okay with that!! :D

Ian
07-25-2012, 09:25 PM
I only hit AK if the group wants it. Personally, I could do without it.:ditto:

disneynarula
07-26-2012, 07:11 AM
We enjoy it and will usually spend a whole day there. We walk the trails and spend our time seeing the animals.

To espcape the heat we take the train to Rafikis's planet watch. There is a little indoor area there that is nice and air conditioned.

We like to take a mid day break and have lunch at Sanaa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Of course we love...
It's Tough To Be A Bug
Festival of the Lion King
Killiminjaro Safaris

I also think the parade is fantasic. It has a more unique feel to it.

That being said it is not a repeat park for us. There isn't anything that I would want to do more than once.

azcavalier
07-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Agreed with all of the posters on this thread. I feel like i've been defending AK on Intercot for years...

If all you're interested in is big rides, then, yeah, you could get bored quick. Though EE and Kilimanjaro Safaris are two of the best attractions in all of WDW.

We love Finding Nemo: The Musical and the Flights of Wonder show as well. It's Tough To Be A Bug is great, and I love the queue for it...the Tree of Life is fantastic.

The thing about AK that I love, like others have said, is the detail. If you've never been to a Third World country, you may not even realize it...but Harambe is so well done that the first time I walked through it, it was the closest i'd felt to what it was like being in Guatemala since I left there in 1994 (minus the garbage).

There just so much to see, if you slow down and look around. Take the train out to Rafiki's Planet Watch. Wander the trails. Stop to think about what it took to create this park....they basically had to *grow* the park from nothing. And the planning that went into what they had to grow and where to keep the animals happy and healthy. It's truly an amazing park.

Princess'Mom
07-26-2012, 09:05 AM
I totally agree. I think folks that find this, or any of the Parks boring aren't truly taking the time to "see" them.

But, hey, please avoid AK if it's boring . . . .I really am okay with that!! :D

Ditto! More room for the AK lovers! DD & I spent a lot of time at AK last trip. We LOVE it! The little details make it so special. I've spent some time in the Orient, the details are AK eerily good! :)

Mrs Bus Driver
07-26-2012, 09:21 AM
I am not sure if I like or dislike this park. Unfortunately I have never gone with anyone willing to explore the park with me. On our next trip I plan to go alone to Ak. I would really like to walk the trails. However could due without the carnie games, they did the same thing at DCA. Didn't go over there either. I understand if you are just going for the rides it isn't worth it. It seems to be a place to take your time and explore. Anyway I'll bring my camera and explore.:mickey:

azcavalier
07-26-2012, 11:16 AM
I am not sure if I like or dislike this park. Unfortunately I have never gone with anyone willing to explore the park with me. On our next trip I plan to go alone to Ak. I would really like to walk the trails. However could due without the carnie games, they did the same thing at DCA. Didn't go over there either.

You know, we actually really like Dino-Rama. It's got a great playground for our little kids, and the Primeval Hurl (that's what we call it) is a good time. I like the feel of the roadside carnival. We like to play the games with the kids, as someone always wins. We usually spend a fair bit of time there, especially with the smaller kids as we're waiting for the older members of our group to get off of Dinosaur or EE.

#1donaldfan
07-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Agreed with all of the posters on this thread. I feel like i've been defending AK on Intercot for years...

If all you're interested in is big rides, then, yeah, you could get bored quick. Though EE and Kilimanjaro Safaris are two of the best attractions in all of WDW.

We love Finding Nemo: The Musical and the Flights of Wonder show as well. It's Tough To Be A Bug is great, and I love the queue for it...the Tree of Life is fantastic.

The thing about AK that I love, like others have said, is the detail. If you've never been to a Third World country, you may not even realize it...but Harambe is so well done that the first time I walked through it, it was the closest i'd felt to what it was like being in Guatemala since I left there in 1994 (minus the garbage).

There just so much to see, if you slow down and look around. Take the train out to Rafiki's Planet Watch. Wander the trails. Stop to think about what it took to create this park....they basically had to *grow* the park from nothing. And the planning that went into what they had to grow and where to keep the animals happy and healthy. It's truly an amazing park.

....EXACTLY why I love it !! The Tusker House area reminds me of the main gate at Clark Air Base in the Phillippines, at least until Mt. Pinatubo erupted and destroyed a lot of it !! I was there !! fun times....anyway, AK has so much to offer, hot or not, rainy or dry....:number1:

Dulcee
07-26-2012, 12:22 PM
I could spend half a day just walking the Tiger and Gorilla trails. The last time we were there I got caught up in an hour long conversation with one of the bat keepers. And I've been known to get in line for Bug's life just to get up close and explore the carvings on the tree of life. So no, I don't find the park boring.

AK seems to appeal to those who enjoy slowing down and getting away from some of the traditional bustle of a theme park.

Arielfan98
07-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Yes, you're not the only one. In fact, the only reason I go is because I only go there once on every Disney trip to experience Expedition Everest a few times. Then I'll walk around the rest of the park to see some of the animals and go on KS. I do enjoy the fruit stand outside of KS, which I don't see often in any of the parks. Yak and Yeti was an all right restaurant, the rice was delicious, but I would of have rather have eaten at another park. AK is what it is. If you love animals, great, but if you're not into it you'll find AK just ok. I would, however, recommend going there once every Disney trip because it is a Disney park and it's only half a day.

ThanxForNoticin
07-26-2012, 12:47 PM
AK is our favorite park. We find it relaxing, never the same twice, and we'll often be there for more than a day. And even though we love EE, we're far less worried about the traditional rides at the park than we are the overall theming and reason for the park. We are also fans of Tusker House and especially Y&Y.

That being said, I will tell you that we do not tend to go to Disney in the hottest months. I'm not sure I'd find AK as relaxing if it was 100 degrees out there!

Stu29573
07-26-2012, 01:14 PM
I used to be pretty bleh about it until this past trip. Two things made a difference. First, our trip to WDW was a little longer than normal, so I didnt feel stressed out because my time at AK was taking time from a "better" park. Second, the extra time ( we actually had two days scheduled for AK) , allowed me to slow down and look at things through my wife's eyes ( shes the biggest animal lover ever) and all I can say is, "Wow! This is a pretty cool park!" The bottom line is that you have to slow down, not be stressed about running around and getting it all done, relax and enjoy. Its still not my favorite park, but it went from fourth to third...:D

texas211
07-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Does anyone else find Animal Kingdom slightly boring? I enjoy the main attractions but I just feel as though after an hour or two I get bored.

I am open to suggestions of other rides/shows/ or attractions to try!

I couldnt agree more. Its a death march through the jungle ever time i go there. Give me another day of star tours or epcot. I get enough jungleon the jungle cruise or tiki room.

Zawadi
07-26-2012, 05:15 PM
I could spend half a day just walking the Tiger and Gorilla trails.
So no, I don't find the park boring.

AK seems to appeal to those who enjoy slowing down and getting away from some of the traditional bustle of a theme park.

:ditto:
If you're an adrenalin junkie then you'll probably find DAK boring. We like thrill rides but find DAK a real lovely place to slow down and appreciate the detail that the ground keepers, animal welfare and imagineers have gone to.

Our only criticism is the blot on the landscape of the travelling fareground in Dinoland

readytogo2
07-26-2012, 06:16 PM
I couldnt agree more. Its a death march through the jungle ever time i go there. Give me another day of star tours or epcot. I get enough jungleon the jungle cruise or tiki room.

i totally agree DW and i struggle to make this park for a half day

missastrocat
07-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Those that have spoken up for AK have made me definitely looking forward to it on our upcoming trip. I liked the park okay, don't get me wrong. However, when I asked my DH where he wanted to go on our first full day and he said AK, I balked at him. How could he NOT choose MK or EPCOT (I blamed it on the fact he's never been)? We ended up compromising and are doing the morning/afternoon at AK and the evening at MK.
We are also spending another whole day there as well.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to let us non-AKers know what we were missing.

DizneyFreak2002
07-26-2012, 10:48 PM
I posted on another site why DAK is Disney's best theme park... I'll find it and post it here too...

As promised:

Animal Kingdon is fastly becoming my favorite theme park in Walt Disney World... While I enjoy all the parks, there is something about Animal Kingdom that grips me... What exactly is it about Animal Kingdom that I love so much??? I am not sure... Maybe it is the theme... Maybe it is the story... Maybe it is the scenary... Maybe it is the attention to detail the Imagineers put in designing the park... Maybe, it is the fact that it is a different kind of theme park that I like so much...

When Animal Kingdom first opened, I admit, I hated it... I felt the park was too big, too spaced out... Too much walking had to be done, which tired you out too fast, especially in the hot Florida summer sun... There were not enough ride, not emough to do.. Animal Kingdom was, in the begnning, nothing but a half day park, and really, a waste of a day... In my opinion...

But now, I can spend the entire day in Animal Kingdom... I can spend half the morning just walking around taking in the scenary, exploring Discovery trails... I can spend a lot of time in the queues, checking out the artifacts, and piecing together the story the Imagineers are trying to tell with the attraction... When I walk through Africa, I feel like I am atually transported to a real African village, waiting to take a real life African safari... Exiting Africa and entering Asia, I am transported to the Asian continent; where I can explore the Asian forests and jungles, see the animals in person that call Asia their home, and where I can climb to the top of Mount Everest and encounter the mythical yeti... I can travel over a billion years back in time and visit the age of the dinosaurs, and become sidetracked by a hokey road side carnival that is grossly out place and extremely tack, yet very fun at the same time... And then finally, over to a desert oasis, where we find out how tough it is to be a bug, and where the Tree of Life inspires us to respect and appreciate all forms life, whether human or animal or otherwise...

Sure, Animal Kingdom is not a complete theme park, not by any Disney theme park standard... But, what the park lacks in rides it makes up for in theme, in detail.. There are plenty of hidden trails for you to explore... There is plenty to see and more to do than one might think... Would Beastly Kingdomme have solved this issue??? Don't know, and we never will, so ther really is no sense dwelling on it.... Would a new land help out?? Well, it cannot hurt... The Austrialian Outback or even Mysterious Island complete with Tokyo DisneySea's Journey to the Center of the Earth attraction will do wonders for Animal Kingdom... But, again, no sense dwelling on something that is not here... Let's just appreciate what we do have, and enjoy Animal Kingdom for what it is... A theme park wonder and an Imagineering triumph...

DisneyDawgette
07-27-2012, 01:14 AM
If you would have asked me two months ago, I would have told you that I don't like AK at all. Aside from EE, I could go a whole trip without even going!

However, we just went to Disney with our children's ministry and took the kids to MK and AK. And we had such a GREAT time at AK! The park was not terribly crowded despite it being June (except for at the FastPass machines...), the CMs were painfully nice- even for Disney employees, we rode everything multiple times, the park was super clean, FotLK was a major hit with our large group of kids and I loved that the show was so interactive, and the park even stayed open for an extra 30 minutes and we got to ride EE 4 times in a row! It was just a great experience, and even though it may still be the least developed park at Disney, I won't ever be able to separate my feelings from that trip from AK! Call me crazy, but I don't think I could honestly pick a least favorite park after my last trip! :mickey:

Fastpasssteve
07-29-2012, 12:09 AM
I do love Animal Kingdom, but not for it's attractions, per se. I love the attention to detail when designing each 'region.' I appreciate how the lighting and benches and trash cans are different in each different land. I also love gardening, so this is a wonderful place for me to visit.

It is difficult for some to get into the mindset to appreciate this park when the expectation set up for a visit to WDW can be so different: rides, rides, rides, funnel cake, rides...

I don't blame you.

Snow's Mom
07-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Hot or not, I love AK. After a few days of animatronics, it's nice to see some real stuff! And it's just so pretty. We saw the parade for the first time last time, and we love taking pictures of DeVine.

Of course, whichever park is least crowded is my new favorite park...

riley1129
07-31-2012, 10:22 AM
I will give all these suggestions a try once I go in may!

Imalismom
07-31-2012, 06:28 PM
I really do not like AK and have successfully avoided that park for the last 5 years - now DH is insisting that we go to that park on the 8th August.... So... I am going, with a big smile on my face, but not in my heart....

MouseHouser
10-20-2012, 02:02 PM
For me, while nothing tops Main Street USA and the castle, we still make it to AK every trip. And we always start with Festival fo the Lion King. If that doesn't get you smiling,...well, then read no further.

Kilimanjaro Safari, EE, Bug's Life -- even Tree of Life -- all good fun imo. Enjoying a beer and frecnch fries outside at Dawa Bar in Harambe and watching the East African Drummers and The Tumblers -- great atmosphere!

For us the vibe is different, and fairly authentic from what I understand. It rounds out the Disney experience.

Simba's Mom
10-20-2012, 02:46 PM
AK is by far my favorite park. One day I was on Panjani Trail when they were bringing the gorillas in and I had the most fascinating conversation with the CM. Did you know that when the adolescent males go in, all but one have to be distracted-if they get too close to each other when going in, they play "push and shove" sort of like 8th grade boys at the pencil sharpener (I used to be a teacher)? Little info like that fascinates me. However, I agree that if my kids were young and with me, I'd find Animal Kingdom boring because my kids would be tugging at me, not allowing me to wander around like that. Maybe it's just a matter of the age of the children.

disneylovinmom
10-20-2012, 02:46 PM
I enjoyed AK moreso this last time than ever before. The last two times we went, something happened or someone was sick so we had to leave. This time we were not rushed and thankfully nothing happened to make us have to leave, so we enjoyed it.

Mickey'sGirl
10-20-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't find it boring ... there's lots of variety, and it's beautiful and the details are great ... but I just don't enjoy it. We keep giving it a try every couple of years, but none of us enjoy it.

RavsRuleDisney!
10-21-2012, 11:55 AM
The budget was cut for Animal Kingdom well before it opened andit opened as a partially complete park. The Discovery Boats weren't thought out well, Beastly Kingdom was cut, etc. I think Disney went and built up Dinoland USA to try to solve that, but did it cheap. Story is cheap, rides are not.

Beastly Kingdom looks like it would have been a great area of AK and the boats done properly would have been fun also - but the park as is has plenty to offer as other posts have stated. It's not just the "E" ticket rides here - and they are good ones....but all the little nuances, nooks & crannies, attention to detail, etc. Hey, it's what makes Disney well, Disney!!

Lindsey310
10-21-2012, 12:00 PM
We recently traveled with first timers which was great bc it really forced us to do all the rides, even the ones we normally skip over.

I have always loved animal kingdom and never find it boring. The only thing is when it's really hot, it seems even more stifling in there! Everything seems enclosed and most of the rides are outdoors as well as the wait. I had a new appreciation for AK when we really took the time to do all of the trails and the shows. Great time :thumbsup:

Twilight
10-21-2012, 02:52 PM
I love walking around AK, it is relaxing.
The beautiful scenery is so serene. I love
The Festival of The Lion King and Nemo the Musical. It is a great park to just walk around and enjoy.

TexasRoni
10-21-2012, 03:15 PM
We save Animal Kingdom for rainy/lazy days during our trips. We have our AK ponchos that we purchased in 1999 and still use on each trip (it always seems to rain at least one day during our WDW trips).

And, because it has shorter hours, we typically do this park till 5 or 6pm then evening hours at another park for dinner. DH is not thrilled with AK, but I love it because I'm a photo-fiend and there are SOOO many great photo ops at this park. Lush greenery, lots of panoramic views from many spots in the park, etc.

tiggerbuddy
10-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Yes,
We hit Expedition Everest, Kilamanjaro, Dino and then leave...

LVT
10-22-2012, 10:31 AM
I love zoos and have been to a few. AK is exceptional. I love the tiger exhibit area.

bruin1344
10-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Its a half day park for me but I enjoy it. Expedition Everest is my favorite rollercoaster and I enjoy the theming of the lands in the park except for Dino Land.

JMTStone
10-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm surprised the AK lovers like myself have not mentioned the parade. I love the parade. I have purchased the music and listen to it. I love the Non-Floats where drummers drum in animal puppets.

I love the Lion King. I love flights of wonder. I love safari. I was inches from a tiger playing with a ball.

I have found Camp Minnie Mickey is the BEST and fastest way to meet the characters.

My husband thinks its a few rides. 1/2 day.....

I find its a day of walking, listening, and watching and exploring.

Different strokes....

Zawadi
10-25-2012, 04:46 PM
The only thing that I hate about AK is Dinoland. The pitiful travelling fairground is a disgrace.

Otherwise, we have spent nearly 5 hours in AK only "doing" the Nemo show, Flights of Wonder and Everest (all with no wait) then just walking around the trails. We only left because we had an ADR elsewhere.

It those that find it boring leave then more space for those of us who like it :D

TheVBs
10-25-2012, 05:00 PM
We really enjoy AK! It's great to slow down and soak it all in. The rides are great, the atmosphere is great, incredible details, incredible animals, good food, good entertainment. We need two days just to fully do this park! :mickey:

Sylvia
11-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Back in the day, when AK still had evening EMH, we expecially enjoyed walking around the park in the dark, or sitting on a bench just listened to the various animal sounds. Imagination is a great thing because the sounds can conjure up all types of visions.

The attention to details, all of the animal exhibits, the trails, live entertainments, and interesting food offerings, etc., etc., make AK a special place to visit. The excellent attention to details throughout the park, makes you actually feel as you're in exotic lands far away from home. Thrill attractions are never on our list (call us chicken), but we typically spend at least two full days at AK, and never are bored. Just seeing all of the various animal exhibits and trails can easily fill a day. Add stopping for food/snacks, and before you know it, the park is getting ready to close.

I have friends that just came home from their first WDW vacation. They spent their second day at AK. They arrived at opening, spend the entire day exploring the park and went to dinner at the Rainforest Cafe at AK's closing. When they left the restaurant at approx 6:30 (way past the 5 PM closing time) to go back to their resort, their boys (5 and 3) didn't want to leave. They wanted to spend more time in the park and couldn't understand that it was closed for the day. Starting - a new generation of AK fans. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

LudwigVonDrake
11-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Boring? No, but after a few hours I'll either go back to the hotel or go to another park. For me there's not enough to hold my interest for the entire day. Before I leave though I make sure to eat at the Flame Tree BBQ :tasty: