PDA

View Full Version : Disney DVC contract changes

spinnerf
07-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I am considering purchasing points in secondary market. I know recently Dinsey restricted current transactions from non DVC resorts. Did contracts originating before this rule get to keep the full benefits? Are there any safeguards to Disney changing current contracts? (Im sure there are none but thought Id ask).

TinkerbellT421
07-24-2012, 08:29 PM
It is my understanding that older resale purchases prior to the date of the change were able to keep all benefits. The change only effected contracts after a certain date, which right now I am forgetting what that date was.

DizneyRox
07-24-2012, 09:27 PM
It's based on the transaction date of the new sale, not when the contract was originally bought from Disney. My current contract was bought in 2004 or so, and if I sold it, the limitations would apply to the new owner.

The only way to get full use of points is to buy directly from Disney at their ridiculously high prices.

TinkerbellT421
07-24-2012, 09:29 PM
It's based on the transaction date of the new sale, not when the contract was originally bought from Disney. My current contract was bought in 2004 or so, and if I sold it, the limitations would apply to the new owner.

The only way to get full use of points is to buy directly from Disney at their ridiculously high prices.

Thanks for clarifying. I forgot about the sell to another bit. :mickey:

VWL Mom
07-25-2012, 06:30 AM
It is my understanding that older resale purchases prior to the date of the change were able to keep all benefits. The change only effected contracts after a certain date, which right now I am forgetting what that date was.

New rules regarding resales went into effect March 21, 2011, resale purchases prior to that were grandfathered into the old rules.

faline
07-25-2012, 07:52 AM
Yes. We bought resale before the contract changes went into effect so our points have the full benefits intact. That would not be true, if we made a sale to someone else.

NewDVCowner
07-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Disney can change their 'perks' at any time, though, such as the discount on food, etc.

suebeelin
07-31-2012, 08:39 AM
I think new resales go under the new rule so that you cannot use your points for cruises or the disney resorts in HK or France.

I bought my resale last March to make sure I retain the original owner rights.

But I have heard there are tons of people who never use the "other rights" and just go to Disney in the US, so it's not a big deal.

And yes, Disney reserves the right to change their rules whenever they want, but I highly doubt they will rescind the pre-March resales whereby people retain original owner rights. That said, prices are lower now for resales because of this new rule.

Good luck!