PDA

View Full Version : Torch Lighting at the Poly

Kairi_7378
07-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Can anyone provide any information about the torch lighting ceremony at the Poly? :lei: I have a 5:00 ADR at Kona, do you think we will be able to see this? (I think it starts at 6.)

I happened to mention this to the CM at WDW dining today when I was tweaking my ADR times, and he was totally baffled when I asked about this. (He did try to get me an answer but I think I caused a lot of confusion.)

faline
07-24-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm not sure if they hold it every night. I'd suggest calling the resort directly to ask about it. On the nights they hold it, I do think it begins around 6. If you have a 5 p.m. reservation, I wouldn't count on being able to see this at 6 unless you get seated immediately, order right after being seated, and eat quickly. Personally, I'd rather have a more leisurely meal.

Polynesian Dweller
07-24-2012, 07:12 PM
No it's not every night. As I remember it's not performed on Sundays and Mondays. I woukdn't go out of my way for it. It's very short, about five minutes. It's primarily a torch bearer lighting the tiki torches at the entrance followed by a short twirling of the lighting torch while another performer plays the drums.

You can see videos of it on YouTube to see what it is like. Personally, I would focus on enjoying your supper rather than rushing for this.

MaterializedHaunt
07-25-2012, 01:43 AM
Oh wow. This topic certainly brings back memories! Although I have never seen the ceremony, I do however always remember as a kid walking around barefoot down the paths and smelling the gas on and sometimes the lighter went by and its all lit or they were just starting to light them. It is one of the few Poly smells that just gets to me.

I would hang out in Kona and relax and if you get to the ceremony then great, if not, no biggie I would think.

steamboat willy
07-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the Touch Lighting topic!. I YouTube googled it and watched the 3+ minute Ceremony held at the Front Entrance of the Poly. I would love to take DW to the Ceremony since she also Twirled FIRE Batons a few+ years ago. We would not leave a Park to catch, but a good timing before catching Monorail back to MK or early Dinner at Poly would work. Not sure of the time yet??? :tikki::tikki::tikki:

Keneva
07-26-2012, 09:23 PM
If you want to see fire twirling then go to the luau dinner show and the same guy at the torch light does a really cool extended batton fire twirl at the end of the luau.