PDA

View Full Version : Main Street Refurb

BKBrinkman
07-23-2012, 08:17 AM
I know it can seem like Disney might be missing the mark on a few things these days like the issues with the Dumbo ride scraping the sides.....but I just saw over 100 pictures of the newly completed Main Street refurb and it looks awesome! Fresh and vibrant coats of paint and a lot of the details have been restored. Wondering if anyone has seen this in person and if it's as good as it looks in pictures.

Melanie
07-23-2012, 08:35 AM
FINALLY, the scrims over the Bakery have come down and yes, it does look great. And as I've mentioned here before, the Confectionary (which was under the scrim for the majority of last year) looks incredible. I LOVE the makeover there.

I know they haven't done every building on Main Street, and not sure if they are going to, but the end result is very nice.

AgentC
07-23-2012, 09:15 AM
I agree with Melanie. We were there about 3 weeks ago and it looks great. The colors are really vibrant and fresh.

TinkerbellT421
07-23-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm really excited to see Main Street in December. When we were there in January we saw a lot of the scrims and stuff and with all the talk about how amazing it looks I'm anxious to see it. Have there been any pictures recently from any fellow Intercotees?

BKBrinkman
07-23-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm really excited to see Main Street in December. When we were there in January we saw a lot of the scrims and stuff and with all the talk about how amazing it looks I'm anxious to see it. Have there been any pictures recently from any fellow Intercotees?

I found a lot of pictures that were taken recently on damouse.com

07-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I know they haven't done every building on Main Street, and not sure if they are going to, but the end result is very nice.

Ultimately over some time, they will have to do every building on Main St.. Time, moisture and insect damage have taken their toll on some areas and newer, more longer lasting materials are being used to "recreate" and restore the buildings. It is a bit more time consuming (and expensive) but it should be more durable and long lasting.

I though they could have done a bit better with the painting at Le Chapeau in a couple of areas but temporary walls had to come before the 4th so I'm sure it got a bit rushed.

As someone who works PAC on Main St. a lot I was really glad to see the Bakery walls come down. That was a real guest traffic bottleneck for us.

Main Street Jim
07-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Does anyone remember "back in the day", when *everything* received a fresh coat of paint overnight, every night? All of the burnt-out light bulbs would be replaced, everything *always* looked fresh.

I understand the amount of time needed for a "freshening up", though - like termite damage to wooden structures, electrical issues, etc. With the materials available today, some structures could be completely rebuilt. :thumbsup:

disneynarula
07-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Does anyone remember "back in the day", when *everything* received a fresh coat of paint overnight, every night? All of the burnt-out light bulbs would be replaced, everything *always* looked fresh.

:thumbsup:

I remember this. I can remember my uncle who was a cast member at one point tell me about all the magic "fairies" that came to clean at night. He told me this story one night as we were riding the ferry back to the TTC. It was my first trip to Disney World. I think it must have been 1981? I just did not want to leave the magic behind. I was so sad but he told me that we had to leave because the magic fairies would not come out if children could see them. I have been hooked on Disney ever since. I wanted to work at WDW so I could see the magic fairies. I did end up working there about fifteen years later.