PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying.

disney obsessed
07-21-2012, 09:32 PM
My husband and his friend bought a 34 ft cabin cruiser. They hope to travel around the Chesapeake, eastern shore and north Carolina. I want to like it but I just don't. Being in the cabin makes me seasick and I have a replaced hip and the motion is an issue.
Does anyone have any tips about sea sickness? He really wants to do some overnights but the thought of sleeping on the boat is overwhelming.

Help!

MaterializedHaunt
07-22-2012, 01:17 AM
How about some Sea-Band Anti-Nausea Ginger Gum or motion pills? I also heard about motion sickness bracelets? Sounds odd but maybe it does work. I hope they camper goes smoother for you. Sometimes if you put your Mickey ears on, it could help to! :mickey: hehe

Disneymom4ever
07-22-2012, 07:34 AM
I've been looking into a cruise lately, and with my DH being so prone to motion sickness, I've been nervous about it. From everything I've read, the popular opinion seems to be Meclazine, otherwise known as Bonine. It supposedly works wonders, and can be found at Walmart, I've been told. People have said it's a lifesaver. They also recommend ginger candies, and green apples, of all things. I would try and get as much fresh air as possible as well. :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-22-2012, 08:43 PM
My sister tried the bands to help with morning sickness so maybe there's some truth to those. Ginger is also supposed to help. Or what about the patch that you put behind your ear? I love being on the water because it's so relaxing. I hope you can find a way to overcome it.

disney obsessed
07-22-2012, 09:43 PM
I will have to check out the bands. I think the patch behind the ear is for when you need the meds for days. I know dramamine makes me very sleepy, does bonine make you sleepy too?

Cinderelley
07-23-2012, 06:20 AM
I've been looking into a cruise lately, and with my DH being so prone to motion sickness, I've been nervous about it. From everything I've read, the popular opinion seems to be Meclazine, otherwise known as Bonine. It supposedly works wonders, and can be found at Walmart, I've been told. People have said it's a lifesaver. They also recommend ginger candies, and green apples, of all things. I would try and get as much fresh air as possible as well. :mickey:

Cruise ships are much larger and have stabilizers so there isn't as much motion felt. It also helps if you get a cabin that is lower and in the middle. I know that kind've ruins the ability to enjoy a balcony, but it is what helps those with motion sickness. My father-in-law suffers from motion sickness, and it didn't bother him a bit on our Alaskan Cruise.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Here's what I found on line about side effects of Bonine:

Drowsiness, dry mouth, and tiredness may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Some patients, particularly children, may experience excitability rather than drowsiness.

If your doctor has directed you to use this medication, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: vision changes, decreased/painful urination, seizures.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

Kenny1113
07-24-2012, 07:08 AM
I will have to check out the bands. I think the patch behind the ear is for when you need the meds for days. I know dramamine makes me very sleepy, does bonine make you sleepy too?

NO. Dramamine knocks me out. (I can't stand it) but I can take Bonine without an issue. It my preferred motion sickness med.

DizneyRox
07-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Cruise ships are much larger and have stabilizers so there isn't as much motion felt. It also helps if you get a cabin that is lower and in the middle. I know that kind've ruins the ability to enjoy a balcony, but it is what helps those with motion sickness. My father-in-law suffers from motion sickness, and it didn't bother him a bit on our Alaskan Cruise.
Most modern cruise ships are pretty stable. The bigger the ship the less you'll feel anything, plus picking a good season to go helps as well. My last cruise I couldn't even tell we were on a ship, if it weren't for me watching us pull up along side the pier I would have old you we didn't go anywhere.

We were on deck 9 and forward, one of the worse places to be if you're looking to minimize ship movement.

VWL Mom
07-24-2012, 07:37 AM
I know dramamine makes me very sleepy, does bonine make you sleepy too?

Dramamine does have a non-drowsy formula. DS uses it all the time for planes/trains/buses with no issues.

disney obsessed
07-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Good to know!

Zawadi
07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Most modern cruise ships are pretty stable. The bigger the ship the less you'll feel anything, plus picking a good season to go helps as well. My last cruise I couldn't even tell we were on a ship, if it weren't for me watching us pull up along side the pier I would have old you we didn't go anywhere.

We were on deck 9 and forward, one of the worse places to be if you're looking to minimize ship movement.

The most stable cabin position is mid-ship since the ship will act as a see-saw in rough weather. Last year we were in the Mediterranean and sailed into storm force 11 (75 mph winds and 65ft waves about 1am. We were rocked in bed but it wasn't too bad. This is meant to show how stable the boats are not scare you off :blush:

scooterca42
07-27-2012, 01:05 PM
I swear by ginger. You can buy ginger pills at the drugstore, ask the druggist.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Have a friend with extreme motion sickness issues - and she SWEARS by seabands. Another one swears by ginger candies and green apples. Yet another to Bonine.

I'd personally LOVE it!! We had a 22 1/2 ft cutty cabin walk around that got jacked right out of it's slip in the marina where we live about 5 yrs ago. We desperately miss it as we are SURROUNDED by water and about an hour to the ocean by boat.

DisneyDog
08-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Nothing helps me with my motion sickness. I once went on a cruise and I lost 10 pounds. How often to you hear about people LOSING weight on a cruise? I had a lot of ear infections as a child, and I am convinced my problems are directly related to that. I also get motion sickness on certain amusement park rides, turning around in the car to talk to someone in the backseat, leaning over to pick up something on the floor while the car is moving, going over winding roads...you name it, it makes me feel queasy. I have tried the ginger pills and that doesn't help, everything that will potentially make me sleepy puts me in a coma. I'm hopeless:(