PDA

View Full Version : You're going to Disney again?!

eandrsmom
07-21-2012, 06:19 PM
We are leaving next week for WDW. We were just there in May. We were planning on going to the beach or mountains for our summer vacation, but the kids really wanted to go back to Disney. My mother-in-law thinks we're crazy. She thinks it's ridiculous that we'd want to return so often. Granted, this is the first time we've been so close to a previous trip, but we usually go at least once a year. Does anyone else get questions like this? With the big age difference between our oldest DS14 and youngest DD5, it really works well for us. There's something fun for everyone to do.

faline
07-21-2012, 06:48 PM
I just don't mention it any more. Regardless of where I plan to go, when I say I'm going on vacation, most folks assume I'm going to Disney "again" and while they are often right, they are not always right.

Yes, it gets tiresome. But as some have mentioned, these same folks return to the same cottage they rent on the same lake they've been to for the last upteen years or the same hotel at the same beach etc. etc. Still, they seem to think that those of us who frequent Disney are certainly odd.

Venus0880
07-21-2012, 06:54 PM
So happy there are people like me!!! Lol! Ive pretty much become a closet disneyphile due to the quantity of eye rolls I receive. Lol!

faline
07-21-2012, 07:00 PM
So happy there are people like me!!! Lol!

Yes there are and most of us have gathered right here on Intercot!! :mickey:

chefmickey3
07-21-2012, 07:50 PM
A lot of people don't understand what we love so much about Disney. I have stopped talking to them about where we go - they won't ever get it.

Madame Leona
07-21-2012, 08:04 PM
I feel it's very rude for people to comment on others vacations. I've heard so many times "Disney again?!!" from people who go on cruise after cruise after cruise. Granted it's not always the same ports but is there really that much of a difference in cruises?
Vacations should be something that bring you joy....and that is all.

retiredfigment
07-21-2012, 08:24 PM
I always say that for those who love Disney, no explanation is necessary - for those who don't, no explanation is adequate. My daughter and I love Disney, love going, and all friends and family know it. They no longer question why we go, just ask when our next trip is.;)

Disney Hungarian
07-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I guess I am lucky. I receive encouragement from my friends when I say I am taking mom again.

Kairi_7378
07-21-2012, 08:46 PM
There are so few people who "get it" when I mention WDW in my "real" life... that's why I am so thankful for the people on the boards here :) I'm a "planner" and I need to talk about my trip with someone besides my DH so I don't drive him nuts, even though he is the original WDW enthusiast in the family.

Dopey's Girl
07-21-2012, 08:49 PM
The person I get this most from is a woman at work. Yet it's not strange that she takes the same week off each spring to go to the same hotel (nothing fancy) on the north shore of Lake Superior. She eats in the same places, does the same things each year. Snooze! At least I go different times of the year, stay in different resorts and eat different places.

My standard response to her (or any other person who comments) is that I love it, and they don't have to understand or pay for it.

princessgirls
07-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Most of my friends and pretty much all of my family thinks we are nuts..."How many times do you need to go there???" "I went once, that was enough". "It's not that great"

OK...sooo annoying!!!

I am always enthusiastic about any vacation plans that people tell me, whether they are for me or not!
My own brother...has adorable kids, who love Princesses, Buzz and Woody. He and his wife, absolutely have no interest in a trip to Disney, and they have the resources that would allow for a top-shelf trip. They keep trying to get us to take them. No thanks...You need to make those memories with them.
Julie:mickey:

Itchy
07-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Before I retired my boss would ask me " You just go for the rides? " I would tell him that there is more to Disney than just rides. Don't knock it if you have not tried it.

He did not ask anymore, and he still has not gone. That makes one less person in the parks to deal with that really doesn't care to be there...:blush:

disneymomma2010
07-21-2012, 11:22 PM
I have tried the whole don't tell approach. I've found that now people just ask me, so when are you going to disney again, because they expect it i guess. But it always seems to be in a judgemental mood. It aggravates me so I try to just answer the questions with short answers and move on to something else. I just dont understand why people care what I do. I don't care where they go on vacation or if they even go on vacation! Im not going with them so what would it matter!

mechanic
07-22-2012, 12:01 AM
we hear a lot "cedar point is closer and the rides are better".

Tink#64
07-22-2012, 01:01 AM
I just don't mention it any more. Regardless of where I plan to go, when I say I'm going on vacation, most folks assume I'm going to Disney "again" and while they are often right, they are not always right.

Yes, it gets tiresome. But as some have mentioned, these same folks return to the same cottage they rent on the same lake they've been to for the last upteen years or the same hotel at the same beach etc. etc. Still, they seem to think that those of us who frequent Disney are certainly odd.

Yes there are and most of us have gathered right here on Intercot!! :mickey:

:exactly:Very well said Faline! I've simply given up on explaining it! Tired of explaining it & I no longer care if they get it, like it or otherwise! It's our vacation, we're paying for it & we love WDW - enuff said! Thank goodness for all my fellow WDW obsessed peeps on Intercot! :grouphug:

EeyoresBestFriend
07-22-2012, 01:56 PM
We've always found it funny that folks that go to the same place in Mexico, Hawaii or Las Vegas every year(or more) don't understand why we go to WDW all the time. :confused:

It's no different except that we, IMHO, have better taste in holiday locations!! :laughing:

MNNHFLTX
07-22-2012, 02:47 PM
I feel it's very rude for people to comment on others vacations. I've heard so many times "Disney again?!!" from people who go on cruise after cruise after cruise. Granted it's not always the same ports but is there really that much of a difference in cruises?
Vacations should be something that bring you joy....and that is all.
This is my situation too. Before our last trip in May my sister said "Aren't you getting tired of that place yet?" I'm like--hey, everyone has their travel preferences. Some people (like my siblings) go on tons of cruises and that is just not my cup of tea. And besides, my family always goes on a non-Disney summer vacation, so we definitely get exposure to other travel destinations. I've just learned to let people think what they think and not let it bother me.

DisneyGuy1979
07-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Its ok . My wife & I actually go for 4 weeks a yr an we get it all the time your going back to Disney AGAIN lol . How can you guys afford so many trips cause its so expensive . An for us it's always the same answer , remember his cousin works for WDW an it doesnt cost anything . It cost more for us to board are 2 chocolate Labs then it is for us to go to Orlando.

dnickels
07-22-2012, 05:13 PM
For every "you're going to Disney again?" there's a "you're going to Yellowstone again?" or "you're going to France again?" or (insert any place you can imagine). Your money, your vacation, your choice.

AvaNellMouse
07-22-2012, 07:06 PM
The folks at work just ask me, "when are you going to disney again?". They know that's where I'm going!

Wolf
07-23-2012, 11:36 AM
My mother-in-law thinks we're crazy. She thinks it's ridiculous that we'd want to return so often. .

Remember that next time she tries to tag along and tell her "no" :thedolls:

I get those questions alot as well, I got lucky, my boss at this job is a HUGE disney fanatic as well, we bonded during my interview about her Mickey lanyard so I kind of have a kindred spirit in that aspect, normal folks tho outside of here are like "WHY??" Cause its awesome fools! :mad:

azcavalier
07-26-2012, 09:47 AM
We invite them to come with us once, and we'll show them "how it's done". Usually people who have gone and said that they didn't have a good experience didn't plan well, or know what they were getting into. Since we're the "experts", we know what to do, how to do it, WHEN to do it, etc, etc. We've taken people with us numerous times and they *always* come back thinking that they want to go back.