PDA

View Full Version : When Did Garden Grill Become Such a Hard to Get ADR?

Goes4FastPass
07-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Online checks for December for Dinner show big periods of unavailability for Garden Grill. Pick a date and a time like 5pm and say show me all available table service. Many choices. Chef Mickey? Sure. Akershus? Of course. Cinderella’s Royal Table? Welcome… and so forth across the resort but the restaurants that are always booked up are O’hana (no surprise) and Garden Grill.

I called 407 WDWDINE and asked about CP packages for GG and that’s not the conflict. The agent did advise checking back because the CC requirement means many reservations are cancelled.

We’ve long thought GG was a much better far less hectic Mickey meal with better food in a better setting than Chef Mickey’s Madhouse. Has everyone else decided that too?

We have our ADR for our upcoming trip so we’re ‘good’ but garsh, when did GG get to be so popular?

Tigerinvestigator
07-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Its actually been one of the harder ADR's to come by for the last three years or so. We tried for over a month last year and couldn't get it. We were disappointed because it is our favorite because of the food and atmosphere and character interaction. We got lucky on that trip and a pretty signifcant thunderstorm came through the area. Since we were staying at the Dolphin we ran over to Epcot and walked right in to Garden Grill since it was raining and they had several cancellations and noshows. It is always the first ADR I make. My family would not be happy if we didn't get to eat here. As far as word getting out, I think it really has. Garden Grill was really good when it was "The Good Turn" and when it first became Garden Grill. It then went through a "lull" where the food wasn't too good. It has since returned to a really good menu, fresh food, and all you can eat. I think most people who try it really like it and return. It has its share of bad reviews but compared to most WDW dining they are relatively few. We will be there next week and I will give a review.....getting hungry just thinking about it!:thumbsup:

Katzateer
07-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Because they stopped serving lunch and don't have the ice cream social anymore. They aren't open except for dinner.:(

Goes4FastPass
07-20-2012, 12:15 PM
I think The Land went from low traffic to big traffic when Soarin' opened. Now EVERYONE goes to The Land which has a very busy food court also.

Now if they'd just bring back the Kitchen Kabaret... I'd get a Fastpass to see Veggy Veggy Fruit Fruit again :sadwave:

dizneydeb22
07-20-2012, 04:31 PM
We were able to get a 5:00 reservation just 2 months before our trip. Don't give up hope. I think everyone is right about the new cc requirement. People are now making sure they cancel if they can't make it! If the time you currently have isn't ideal, keep on trying. Worst case, you still have a reservation.
Have a magical trip!

Tigerinvestigator: I look forward to your review. The last time we ate there was 4 years ago. Can't wait to hear about the new menu!
Hope your trip is magical also!:mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
07-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Last time DW and I ate thre waqs Sept 2010. We made ADRs that morning.
And yes, the food was good.

Gator
07-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I can tell you that the Candlelight Processional has made certain places hard to get into during December. It's one of the reasons I haven't been there during the Holidays. They probably have plenty of ressies available for the CP, but it will either cost you more $ or 2 TS credits.

Honestly, I don't even like that place. Ate there on the last trip. The food was just OK, the character interaction was the poorest I've ever seen at a character meal, and it was LOUD. If you can't get in, any other place at the WS would be a fine replacement.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-20-2012, 05:04 PM
I agree with a previous poster about cancelling lunch. Since it is dinner only, it is that much harder to get.

It has been one of our favourites for the last few years, good food, great character interaction and some respite in the chaos of The Land.

It is a place to meet Mickey that is easier than Chef Mickey's and one of the few places you'll get both Chip & Dale (DD's favourite) at a character meal.

But, we did find a lady bug in my salad once ... at least we know that the food is really fresh. ;)

LandFan
07-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Now if they'd just bring back the Kitchen Kabaret... I'd get a Fastpass to see Veggy Veggy Fruit Fruit again :sadwave:

:D Me too!!

Kairi_7378
07-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Glad you were able to get in! We are going during the first week of September and could not get an ADR when I made our meal plans. I assumed that it had something to do with them no longer serving lunch.

CMCTxMom
07-21-2012, 05:43 PM

AMEN! LOVED that!