PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever been to comic-con

Tiggerlovr9000
07-20-2012, 01:51 AM
My ds is dying to go. Wondering if it was hard to get tickets? Were the tickets expensive? Did you have a good time? Actually any info at all would be greatly appreciated..

SBETigg
07-20-2012, 08:56 AM
You might want to check out local events before making the trek to the big one. My kids attend ConnectiCon every summer, which is like Comic-Con only right here in the Hartford area. It's not as big but if you have something like that in your state, it's a good time to see if it's something for you. Yes, you need to get tickets and you can order from the event website, so it's not hard if you plan ahead. Yes, it can be expensive, not just for the ticket but for everything you buy at Con (food is expensive, as well as merchandise that adds up). And you also need to consider hotel/transportation. My kids typically spend $300 each when they go, for three days of events and including food and tickets-- but that is the local event and the Comic Con prices are probably much higher.

I've never attended, but my editors usually set up at Comic Con to display my books (and all the other books they publish that might appeal to that crowd). To my understanding, publishers, gaming companies, artists, and merchandisers all set up booths so you can visit those and get freebies or buy or look at art/products/merchandise. There are panels that run through the day, many per time slot so you have to choose which you want to attend most. These panels include things like movies- with actors/writers/director often present on the panel. Often big announcements are made on these panels, and they can draw some major stars (like Johnny Depp). Books, with authors of similar books on a panel to discuss their work. Artists/illustrators, voice artists, anime, and game designers discussing their work. And lots of cosplay and events designed for people to show off their costumes and interact in various ways. And there are games and competition with various games. Some people go to cosplay, some for the games, some for the celebrities, some for the artists, or any combination of those things.

BrerGnat
07-20-2012, 09:14 AM
I agree with Sherri. Look into local events first, since your son is so young. He is probably really only into one or two things that would be at Comic Con, so perhaps look into specialized conventions for what he is really into.

DH expressed a desire to go to Comic Con, but really, he is only into Star Wars and some Hasbro toys, so he decided to attend Star Wars Celebration this year in Orlando instead after looking into what some local Comic conventions were offering (which were not what he was really looking for).

SBETigg
07-20-2012, 09:21 AM
One of the most exciting things for my kids at Con this year was meeting the voice of Tigger/Pooh and many other characters, Jim Cummings. My son is interested in voice acting and Jim took the time after panel to tell my son how he got started. During panel, he spoke about his experiences as a voice actor (which included some hilarious asides about working with various celebrities). My kids know I am a big Tigger fan and they had him record a little something in voice for me, which was awesome. My daughter usually comes home with lots of anime posters signed by the artists. They got some free t-shirts from a friend of the creator of the characters they were dressed up as and he put a picture of them in costume up on his website. All good geeky fun stuff like that goes on. Even at the more local events, some big names in the various comic industries will show up.

You could look up the Comic Con site and see what events/panels were featured this year to see if it is something that would really interest your son. If he is a child or younger teen, I would be sure to supervise. My kids are 19 and 21. Things can get a little raunchy sometimes. There are adults walking around in costumes, and some do get fairly carried away with the fantasy.

Wolf
07-20-2012, 10:15 AM
I go to Dragoncon every year in Atlanta Ga, and love it! I've never made the trek to Cali because of the cost but I have heard passes are very expensive, Comicon is very industry specific from what I understand, new movie trailers and pannels with the stars of movies talking but I'm sure its worth seeing, I'd suggest like everyone else to do a smaller event first and try it out, if you have any local comic book shops you could ask them if there are any local conventions. In my hometown of Huntsville Alabama we have at least 10 random conventions throughout the year, lots of anime, we have a furry convention here, a Dr Who specific one, a few sci-fi ones and I think one Star Trek specific one.

Tick-Tock
07-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Denver just had its first Comic Con in June, and from the news reports it was a large event (2d biggest opening ever for a Comic Con and nearly twice the number organizers had hoped for). Stan Lee has committed to appear at next year's event. May 31-June 2. Since you're from Nebraska, maybe a trip to Denver could be a warm-up.

tinkwest
07-21-2012, 12:51 AM
My son has attended Comic-Con every year for about the past 14 years. So obviously he enjoys it. He spends almost every waking moment there for all five days.

Passes can be hard to come by. This year's were practically sold out before the 2011 convention was even over. For 2013 passes they are changing to online preregistration, next month, for 2012 attendees only. Registration for others will be at a later date. They may run $40-$200. Keep checking the CCI site.

You have to be willing to deal with crowds. I think I heard there were about 150,000 this year. The big news this year was - No strollers in the programming rooms - yipee! Be willing to put out some big bucks if you are looking for hotels and restaurants. Prices for everything downtown skyrocket this time of the year.

I think it is a good idea to first try out a smaller venue. The age of your son will make a difference too. There are a lot of kids at Comic-Con, but really there are a lot more adult kids attending. And I think the panels and screenings relate more to the older attendees.