PDA

View Full Version : Dad says no to Make-a-Wish trip

minnie04
07-19-2012, 03:31 PM
I just read this and was wondering what you guys think???

A little girl who had been awarded a trip to Disney World through the Make-A-Wish foundation is trying to find an alternate way of making it to the theme park after her father refused to OK the donation. The charity requires that both parents sign off on granted wishes, but since McKenna May of Bowling Green, Ohio, had completed her last leukemia treatment, her father, William, said no, saying he believed wishes shouldn't be granted for kids who have been cured. "I think it should go to kids who only have six months to live," he was quoted as saying. McKenna's mom and grandmother have since placed donation jars around their community hoping to raise $3,500 for the trip.

Wolf
07-19-2012, 03:37 PM
That little girl has been thru :thedolls: and back! Why would that :mad: man do that?? That makes me angry, some people are so obsessed with their own self image and how people might look at "his family accepting charity" that they inflict misery on the rest of the family...Grr...sorry to rant that just makes me grouchy..

Dopey's Girl
07-19-2012, 03:41 PM
That's sad. She wins the fight for her life, then her dad takes away the fun of it. Not cool.

Wonder if you can donate online...

VWL Mom
07-19-2012, 03:44 PM
I read the entire article on Fox News and there seems to be a whole lot more going on here than is being reported in some papers and a lot of he said/she said.

Too bad that "Make a Wish" should be caught in a custody battle with parents trying to make one another look bad.

CajunDisneyDad
07-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Sad thing about Make-A-Wish... they dont just give random trips to random people... this little girl requested to go to Disney World. Sometimes these poor kids, the magic of Disney might just raise their spirits and who knows...I know I have been in line to see a character and suddenly a CM brings a make a wish kid to the front of the line. The look on that childs face when they get to come face to face with Mickey Mouse, or a princess... its priceless and it really tugs at the ol heart strings. Regardless of her current state of health, this little girl was given a wish...and she wished to go to Disney World. Shame on the dad for putting his selfish ego first, and depriving his daughter of something that she really wished for....

just my 2 cents worth...

CajunDisneyDad
07-19-2012, 03:58 PM
That's sad. She wins the fight for her life, then her dad takes away the fun of it. Not cool.

Wonder if you can donate online...

I was thinking the same thing...but havent seen anything

dnickels
07-19-2012, 04:20 PM
If you read the article(s), it's a messy situation, some of the highlights
-mom and dad had a 'brief' relationship (so as you can imagine in an unplanned pregnancy situation like that there are going to be problems)
-dad thinks mom is going to use the trip to look for a house in Florida (which would make it difficult for him to see the child)
-mom says dad was rarely ever at the treatments
-judge had told the mom that he would consider an order for parental signature, which would have allowed the girl to go, but mom thought it wouldn't be effective (even though make a wish rep says yes it would be effective so I don't know why mom doesn't just go get it)
-dad comes across as pretty uncaring in the article.

My thoughts - something something about people who shouldn't be having children together, and unfortunately the child gets stuck in the middle. :(

For those interested in making a donation, one article says to contact Fifth Third Bank in Bowling Green Ohio regarding the benefit for McKenna May. (We can't post links of course, but I imagine most of us can use google to find the phone number for that bank location if we are so inclined)

SBETigg
07-19-2012, 04:28 PM
It's sad for the child. I think there is a lot going on between the parents and it's hard to judge without the intricate details, but the bottom line is that the child is going through things that parents could make easier with some focus and attention on what's really best for her. I hope they are putting her first, no matter what is decided.

meldan98
07-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I just hope that this child doesn't get sick again and gets so sick that she can't enjoy a trip. This happens all to often.

Kairi_7378
07-19-2012, 06:52 PM
It's sad for the child. I think there is a lot going on between the parents and it's hard to judge without the intricate details, but the bottom line is that the child is going through things that parents could make easier with some focus and attention on what's really best for her. I hope they are putting her first, no matter what is decided.

As usual, Sherri has hit the nail on the head here.

SBETigg
07-19-2012, 07:11 PM
As usual, Sherri has hit the nail on the head here.

No wonder I'm here so often. :) Big love for my ICOT family. :heart:

dnickels
07-19-2012, 07:40 PM
I was thinking more about this one while out on my ride and there is some merit to the concept the dad is advocating.... "my daughter is not dying, doctors give her a 99 percent chance of survival, she will have a lifetime to make Disney trips so give the trip instead to a child who is terminal and won't be here 6 months from now."

I have no idea of the fiscal situation of Make-A-Wish, if there's a list of terminal kids out there they just can't afford to help and if this family giving up the trip would allow someone else to go, but it's at least an angle worth considering before we crown him worst dad of the year. Based on the headlines it's probably too late for that, the price of not being first to get your side of the story out to the press I suppose.

Skippy
07-25-2012, 05:20 AM
WDW bends over backwards for MAW. I doubt there's a child who has wished for WDW and not gotten it.

MAW has their review process in place. If they granted her wish, then they conducted a review and deemed her eligible, she should go. Even if she beat it and has 99% chance of living, think what she's been through,

We have a little friend who beat childhood cancer. The things she went through at age 7 makes me realize how lucky I am with my kids that I didnt have to experience it. The amount of needles, chemo, losing her hair. She was granted her MAW trip, too. Luckily she's still here to talk about it.

dnickels
07-25-2012, 09:46 AM
FWIW, a follow-up story indicated that the family had raised well over triple what they needed to afford the $3,500 trip through donations so the trip will be made after all. :mickey:

ChipNDale79
07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
FWIW, a follow-up story indicated that the family had raised well over triple what they needed to afford the $3,500 trip through donations so the trip will be made after all. :mickey:

That's awesome, I hope this girl has the time of her life, she deserves it.

On a side note, those local to the Southeast probably know of the radio show The Ace & TJ Show, every year they take a group of terminally ill kids and their families on a trip to WDW, all expenses paid. They even go as far as chartering a flight out of Charlotte to Orlando.

If anyone is interested in learning more about it and how they can help to make this trip happen every year, google Ace & TJ Grin Kids, I'm not sure I can put up the link to their charity on here or not.

sonamae80
07-25-2012, 10:29 AM
That's awesome, I hope this girl has the time of her life, she deserves it.

On a side note, those local to the Southeast probably know of the radio show The Ace & TJ Show, every year they take a group of terminally ill kids and their families on a trip to WDW, all expenses paid. They even go as far as chartering a flight out of Charlotte to Orlando.

If anyone is interested in learning more about it and how they can help to make this trip happen every year, google Ace & TJ Grin Kids, I'm not sure I can put up the link to their charity on here or not.

Love Ace & TJ!!! I have followed them since they began on the radio here in Charlotte! Every year, I make it a point to donate to the Grin Kids! It's a wonderful organization that allows some pretty awesome kids to visit Disney! :mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Just an FYI about Make A Wish; the wishes they grant are not just for terminally ill children. It is for children who have life threatening illnesses. So even though this little girl has finished treatment and is hopefully doing well, she had and potentially still has a life threatening illness. And it's through donations that we all make that help grant these wishes for the kids. Every little bit helps. Even if you only give $5-10 dollars, it adds up.
And this guy has only recently been awarded visitation with his daughter-he's been an absentee daddy. And I would be willing to bet that a lot his attitude is because HE doesn't get to go.
And yes, they've raised enough money that McKenna and her mom & grandmom can go and have a wonderful trip. They will however miss out on being able to experience Give Kids the World which is where most wish families stay. I had the pleasure of going there last year with my nephew William. The volunteers who work there really take care of the whole wish family, not just the Wish kid.
And I don't know how many of you remember that my sister's soon to be ex-husband filed for divorce right after we got back from William's trip. When she asked why he waited, he said he wanted to go on the "free" vacation! It's not a free vacation; William pays for it with every blood transfusion and doctor's appt that he has to go to.

So as well as donating to Make A Wish or directly to Give Kids the World, donate blood too. Thank you!