PDA

View Full Version : Okay to take pics of characters outside of line?

natstroop
07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
My kids and I were just going through our pictures from our 2010 trip and remembered an incident with a meet and greet. When we were in Frontierland, we saw Woody and Jessie. My kids weren't interested in a pic with them, so I just stood over to the side, waited for a child to walk away from the characters and snapped a pic. The CM with them came over to me and told me that I couldn't take pics unless my kids were in line. I didn't say anything but "OK" and walked away. I was shocked though...I thought you could take pics of pretty much anything you wanted in Disney. So is that a rule I missed somewhere? You can't take pics of characters unless you've stood in line?

faline
07-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Never heard of such a thing. We've often taken pictures of characters we've seen in the parks even though we are not planning to stand in line to see them. No-one has ever told us we needed to get in line in order to take such a picture (By the way, we don't have any children).

Altair
07-18-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm beginning to think some CM's make up their own rules.:confused:
I do make sure no one else is in the photo.

AgentC
07-18-2012, 08:32 PM
I agree. I've often taken pictures of characters walking in the park or without getting in line. I also make sure no one else is in the picture.

TinkerbellT421
07-18-2012, 08:37 PM
We have taken pics of characters many times without getting in line. First, we do not have kids, secondly, we too always wait for someone to not be in the picture. And never once has a cm told us we had to get in line.

honeebee86
07-18-2012, 08:43 PM
I have also taken pics of characters without being in line or in the picture. I think this CM either was just being not so friendly or maybe thought it was a rule; which I honestly don't think it is. I have also been with others who have done the same. We do not have children so sometimes we don't feel comfortable having our pictures taken or want to wait in the long lines. As long as no one is in the picture or you are not in anyone's way, why does it matter?

Pop Centurion
07-18-2012, 09:06 PM
I've never had a problem doing this either. Definitely sounds like an unfriendly CM.

darthmacho
07-18-2012, 09:14 PM
That's ridiculous. If you're ever in that situation again, I hope you will not hesitate to snap away! It's not like you cut anyone in line or got to post with the character, so WDw shouldn't have any problem with what you did.

natstroop
07-18-2012, 09:19 PM
We all thought it quite strange. Especially when earlier that day we were waiting quite a long time for one of the princesses and just when it was our turn, from out of nowhere a dad drags his daughter right up in front of us to see her. And there was a line behind us half a mile long. The CM saw it happen and didn't say anything to the family. :confused:

MaterializedHaunt
07-18-2012, 10:01 PM
We all thought it quite strange. Especially when earlier that day we were waiting quite a long time for one of the princesses and just when it was our turn, from out of nowhere a dad drags his daughter right up in front of us to see her. And there was a line behind us half a mile long. The CM saw it happen and didn't say anything to the family. :confused:

yes... so just remember... evidentally its ok to cut and get a picture than to wait off to the side and snap a quickie while noone is standing there ;) jeesh some of these CM's need to lighten up a little! What's the worse they can do to you? Maybe you should snap a picture of the CM next time! :D

DizneyFreak2002
07-18-2012, 10:54 PM
I've actually heard of this happening... not sure what the reason is... I would assume it is because the photographer has to take a certain number of pictures a day to reach quota... If you are not taking a picture with the character, then that is one less (or more since they never take just one) picture the photographer is taking... And that is one less Photopass sale made which means less money being added to the bottom line...

Itchy
07-18-2012, 11:48 PM
I have always take pics of the characters when I see them with out other kids in the photo's.

If they are not going to allow it they need to put them inside like Buss and Woody at HS.

How can you control open free space with out a curtain. I think we pay a good price to get past the gate just to see the attractions and charactors.

Nuff said, I'm done..

45 days till next trip and more photos's..:blush:

gerald72
07-19-2012, 12:27 AM
I make sure there are no other kids with the character when I take the pic. But I've never been told not to take a picture of just the character.
Is this something that they are even allowed to tell you that you can't do?

VWL Mom
07-19-2012, 06:54 AM
I did have it happen to me at DHS when I was walking past Mickey and Minnie in their Christmas garb and stopped for a quick picture. Stranger to me was when I was in MK during the same trip trying to take a picture of the wooded toy soldiers and was told I had to get in line and wait my turn. At that point I had to ask why and was told that they don't allow it because they don't want anyone standing there that could be taking pictures of children in line (which I wasn't). At that point I was offended but just shook my head and moved on.

waymickey
07-19-2012, 09:24 AM
I too had this happen at Epcot. I was taking a picture of Eeyore. My Daughter did not want a picture with him but likes Eeyore so I snapped a picture. The CM came over and told me I could not take any pictures of the characters unless I was in line to meet them. I asked why and he told me I could inquire at guest relations. I did and was told plainly "it is the policy" and that is all. I tried to get a better explanation of the policy but was told again "It is the policy" nothing further. Weird if you ask me. Pictures are snapped like every second in Disney , why do they only stop you if you are aiming it at a character and you are not in line?

TinkerbellT421
07-19-2012, 10:14 AM
I have a friend that is a character CM. I am going to ask her out of curiosity what the policy is with this. I am now intrigued lol

Aurora
07-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Well, this is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. I would have pooh-poohed it as an anomaly had not two other Intercotees posted above that this happened to them too. (Which makes me wonder how often it does happen.)

What about taking pictures of the characters in the parades? As for people taking photos of other people's kids in line, what's to prevent them from taking pictures while walking around the parks? Will there be no photo-taking at all? My kids and I are probably in thousands of other people's pictures.

This certainly sounds fishy -- I wonder if some lawyer didn't tell Disney they might be liable if someone takes a picture of their kids while waiting in line and is making CMs spout this ridiculous "policy."

MickeysBestPal
07-19-2012, 10:36 AM
If it is a rule, where is it posted?

How would hundreds of thousands of guests with cameras
know what is and is not OK to photograph?

seanyred
07-19-2012, 10:39 AM
At that point I had to ask why and was told that they don't allow it because they don't want anyone standing there that could be taking pictures of children in line (which I wasn't). At that point I was offended but just shook my head and moved on.

That is just a silly explanation. If they are worried about a predator taking pictures of children in line wouldn't they just ban camera's all together? I mean, seriously, If you weren't near the character but sitting at a bench near by and taking pictures of the scenery, you wouldn't be able to do that either?

I could see they might not want people to "photobomb" characters for purposes of crowd control. But if its a wide open area and the person is not interfering with traffic or the folks who have stood in line, then let them be.

MickeysBestPal
07-19-2012, 10:41 AM
if its a wide open area and the person is not interfering with traffic or the folks who have stood in line, then let them be.

As they have done since 1955.

Basket Mommy
07-19-2012, 10:57 AM

This happened to us in the Character Spot in Epcot on our last trip. We stood in line for 45 minutes and out of nowhere a family comes in the door and goes right for Mickey. They didn't have a CM "handler" or any buttons that would identify them as Make A Wish participants or anything, so I assumed they just decided to forego the line. They did all of this right in front of a CM who said nada. When we got finished seeing all the characters, there was a person there with one of those electronic survey things. I made sure she knew about the incident. I doubt it made a difference.

PlutoToo
07-19-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm afraid the answer from Guest Relations would just have made me stubborn. I would have requested them to SHOW me in the materials provided to guests WHERE I was informed of this policy. If you don't tell me, even if it's in the fine print, how am I to know?:thedolls:

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
07-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Add me to the list of people who thinks this was simply the case of a CM making up his own rules. I have never heard of such a thing at Disney. The fact that you are free to take pictures pretty much wherever you want is part of what makes Disney what it is.

Take, for example, my recent experience at a Six Flags park (which I only visit once every few years -- because, well, it just isn't Disney). When I exited a ride that has ride photos, I stopped as I saw our picture come across the screen. I pulled out my smartphone to take a quick photo (which obviously would be very poor quality) of the photo. Before I could press the button, the employee behind the counter turned off all of the monitors (not just the one with my photo, but all of them) and barked at me that we aren't allowed to take pictures of the ride photos. (Of course, to echo an earlier poster, that restriction is not stated anywhere of which I was aware.) I stood there for a few seconds, somewhat in disbelief, and since I still had my smartphone out, he kept the monitors off -- for a good 30 seconds or so. He clearly had no intention of turning them on until I was gone because heaven forbid I should take a poor quality photo of a picture that I did not plan to buy anyway. He even snapped "move along" in a nasty tone of voice. Mind you, as he was doing this, probably 20-30 riders that were behind me exited without even having the opportunity to see their ride photo because they weren't up on the screens which remained blank. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face -- apparently Six Flags is so worried about someone snapping a photo of the ride photos that they are willing to forgo multiple potential sales just to spite one guest (who didn't even know the rule in the first instance!).

It was not only the stupid policy that took me aback, but the abrupt manner -- both by his actions and his curt words -- in which the Six Flags employee dealt with the issue. I have never seen anything like that at Disney, which is why I believe that the actions of the CM the OP encountered were an anomaly. (That CM would fit right in at Six Flags, though!)

indytraveler
07-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I've read all the posts in this thread and have come to my own conclusion that in the WDW manual that the CM was following is:

rule # 14-21-14-25-1

Which states if you question our authority on what is right or wrong we will spout this rule.

Explanation:
We enforce the rules arbitrarily, and you must follow all rules at all times until you deem it necessary to break one. When you break one it is up to that CM closest to you to enforce. If said CM just came on duty they are more likely to enforce. However, if you break enough rules you will get away with it more times than not, much to the chagrin of all others.

:twocents: Keep taking pictures

faline
07-19-2012, 07:23 PM
From Disney's Mom's Panel:

I have never seen explicit rules about photography outdoors at the parks or resorts. In general, you should be respectful of other guests. For example, don't set up a tripod in a major walkway. But other than that, feel free to shoot away.

LauraByTheSea
07-19-2012, 08:08 PM
This happened to DH and I as well. Not too close, no one in the pic, not blocking anyone's way, and we got a 'sorry, you have to wait in line'... We took more pics the same way throughout our trip and no one else said a thing... :confused:

Disneylover99
07-20-2012, 07:03 AM
We waited in a long line to see Jasmine and Aladdin in the blazing hot sun last August.
it was almost our turn when I witnessed a woman standing off to the side taking pictures of the characters. She was standing with another woman and they were not speaking English.

at the moment when people transition between leaving the characters and a new family is about to approach them, the woman without the camera ran over to Jasmine and Aladdin, wrapped her arms around them and the woman with the camera started taking pictures.

The woman then proceeded to strike various poses with Aladdin and Jasmine. it was shocking and somewhat comical.

it happened so fast. the cast member did try to stop it. jasmine and Aladdin appeared somewhat shocked. The family approaching of course stopped.

the women were either completely ignorant or just blatantly rude (probably the latter). Anyways as soon as they left, everyone that witnessed this had a good chuckle (even jasmine and Aladdin).

the cast member did mention that their are many guests that do try to do this. maybe that is why they were leery of you standing off to the side taking pictures.

try not to take it personally, but I'm sure I would feel a little taken aback if A cast member asked me not to take pictures as well.

Buttercup
07-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Perhaps the cast member just *thought* you had taken the picture while the child was still there. Maybe you were looking in your lens getting things ready to go while the kid was still there... and the CM thought you were taking pictures of the kid.
That would be my guess, because of his comment about you needing to have kids in the line.

Pooh Fan
07-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Wow! I was very intrigued when I started reading through this thread and could not help but read every post. I guess i was hoping that maybe someone would have posted something to support this CM's actions. Where did they come up with this? You are in a wide open area. If you want to create a closed opportunity for people to have private meet and greets than do just that; make it private. How can you expect guests at Disney to not take photos of stuff they see at Disney! Are the going to create a line that I have to wait in to take a pucture of the Castle, Tree of Life, Spaceship Earch and Socerer Mickey's hat? :confused: I have a picture of space mountain that I took one day. I didn't ride it as I didn't feel great that day but It looked really cool witht he sun shining on it in the foreground and an ominous sky behind it. Was it wrong of me to take this picture since I didn't acutally wait in line to ride it?

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-20-2012, 10:53 AM
I have to agree that this is a bit strange ... wait in line just to take a picture of characters ... without being in it?

The only things I can think of, are that someone (the CM, maybe an over-protective parent) thought you were taking pictures of their kids and was worried. OR, as a previous poster said, they were worried you'd try and "sneak" a picture in.

Either way, it is a bit strange ...

Goes4FastPass
07-20-2012, 11:23 AM
I see and I still don't believe it.

We have many pictures of characters that we just randomly deliberatly took while not waiting for a picture of us with them.

Clearly, a guest that is in any way interferring with the process of other guests waiting to pose for a picture needs to be shooed away. If we're waiting in line and it's about to be our turn, I don't want Franny Foto from Fargo shouting, "Jasmine! Look over here!" but I have many pictures of characters, for example, in PARADES where there's unfortunately other guests in the photo.

An yes, some CMs are more rigid than others.
but photographing the characters from a distance can't be

BIGDOG
07-20-2012, 01:47 PM
I have always taken direction from any CM as more of a guideline than a rule.

Goes4FastPass
07-20-2012, 01:57 PM
I have always taken direction from any CM as more of a guideline than a rule.

Well, that's ridiculously harsh. Somehow, I don't picture myself arguing with a CM when s/he's pointing to the exit and the theater is filling up with smoke.

Actually, I don't go to Walt Disney World to argue with CMs.

darthmacho
07-20-2012, 03:45 PM
I've actually heard of this happening... not sure what the reason is... I would assume it is because the photographer has to take a certain number of pictures a day to reach quota... If you are not taking a picture with the character, then that is one less (or more since they never take just one) picture the photographer is taking... And that is one less Photopass sale made which means less money being added to the bottom line...

I see what you're getting at, and if that's their mentality, then they are wrong. You're not interrupting their business by taking a side photo out of line, because you're merely waiting for your moment to snap. Chances are, if you aren't getting in line, denying you a side photo isn't going to get you into line anyway, so they aren't gaining a thing.

ransam
07-20-2012, 04:42 PM
not only have i taken pics, i've had characters pose for us while waiting the next person in line.

MNNHFLTX
07-20-2012, 06:39 PM
I see what you're getting at, and if that's their mentality, then they are wrong. You're not interrupting their business by taking a side photo out of line, because you're merely waiting for your moment to snap. Chances are, if you aren't getting in line, denying you a side photo isn't going to get you into line anyway, so they aren't gaining a thing.Nah, that can't be it--the Photopass photographers will take photos of you with your own camera, if you want. We've done it many times. And we've also taken quite a few pictures of characters in in between other people posing with them. This situation just sounds like a weird rule the CM decided to enact for some reason.

We waited in a long line to see Jasmine and Aladdin in the blazing hot sun last August.
it was almost our turn when I witnessed a woman standing off to the side taking pictures of the characters. She was standing with another woman and they were not speaking English.

at the moment when people transition between leaving the characters and a new family is about to approach them, the woman without the camera ran over to Jasmine and Aladdin, wrapped her arms around them and the woman with the camera started taking pictures.

The woman then proceeded to strike various poses with Aladdin and Jasmine. it was shocking and somewhat comical.

it happened so fast. the cast member did try to stop it. jasmine and Aladdin appeared somewhat shocked. The family approaching of course stopped.

the women were either completely ignorant or just blatantly rude (probably the latter). Anyways as soon as they left, everyone that witnessed this had a good chuckle (even jasmine and Aladdin).Actually, it could be (partially, at least) a cultural thing. When we were in DC last summer we noticed that at many of the historical sites (statues, in particular) that the Chinese tourists often didn't queue the way everyone else did. Instead they would jump in front of a line of people waiting for a photo op, and usually spent a lot of time posing solo and in various groups. I'm sure they didn't mean to aggravate anyone; it's possible that some cultures don't place as much value on queues as American (and the British) do.

DizneyFreak2002
07-20-2012, 07:08 PM
I see what you're getting at, and if that's their mentality, then they are wrong. You're not interrupting their business by taking a side photo out of line, because you're merely waiting for your moment to snap. Chances are, if you aren't getting in line, denying you a side photo isn't going to get you into line anyway, so they aren't gaining a thing.

I agree with you, 100%... I only said that though because a friend of mine told me that is how things go in Universal... Those TMs have to take a certain amount of pictures a day and sell a certain amount of packages or else they get written up... I think that is a silly and stupid rule...

TinkerbellT421
07-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I spoke with my character cm friend and she stated that it is. "rule" but enforceable by the cm's. It's there based on taking pictures of people's children when with the characters. There is a state law that you cannot take a picture of someone's child without their permission so it's essentially based off that. But it's enforceable by the cm's as to whether they feel you are taking the picture with someone's child in there as well.

faline
07-20-2012, 07:18 PM
There is a state law that you cannot take a picture of someone's child without there permission so it's essentially based off that.

I guess I can understand the intent. However, I can't snap a shot anywhere in Disney World without having someone's child in the shot. Wouldn't Disney World be breaking this law by taking ride photos??

TinkerbellT421
07-20-2012, 07:34 PM
I guess I can understand the intent. However, I can't snap a shot anywhere in Disney World without having someone's child in the shot. Wouldn't Disney World be breaking this law by taking ride photos??

I asked the same thing! lol No answer to that question yet. I also asked what if dbf is taking a picture of me and a child happens to walk past? I have no idea what the technicality is. She did say its very controversial subject among cm's.

darthmacho
07-20-2012, 09:28 PM
I agree with you, 100%... I only said that though because a friend of mine told me that is how things go in Universal... Those TMs have to take a certain amount of pictures a day and sell a certain amount of packages or else they get written up... I think that is a silly and stupid rule...

Oh, that other park. Well I can see that sort of thing happening there, but it shouldn't happen in WDW. :mickey:

;)

DizneyFreak2002
07-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Oh, that other park. Well I can see that sort of thing happening there, but it shouldn't happen in WDW. :mickey:

;)

But Universal doesn't actually run the photo... I forget the company that does... I think Disney just signed them on for something as well.. Color Vision maybe??? I forget... Still, silly rule if you ask me :)

mechanic
07-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Well maybe keep a big zoom lens handy just in case. LOL. But I would take your pics say oh...sorry, and move on.

MickeysBestPal
07-21-2012, 06:45 AM
How can taking photos of anyone at WDW do damage?
And... how can it be regulated without simply prohibiting all cameras?

WDW&MK
07-21-2012, 07:38 AM
I couldn't believe this as I read the post. My DH and I do not have children and we have taken many pics of characters from the side without waiting in line. It's pretty rare that I want a pic of me/us with a character and I feel like I don't want to make the line longer for the little kids who do, so I just snap one from the side. I try very hard not to get a child in the pic but it is difficult because the line moves pretty quickly. I have never, in all of our years of going to WDW, been told that I couldn't do this. Interesting to know though. I am wondering if the CMs that enforce this are newbies to being handlers and are just trying to follow *all* the rules. Maybe once they've been doing it a bit then they relax a little. Also, maybe it depends on how many people are hanging out on the side of the lines and trying to keep crowd control :confused: Strange, but good to know, I guess. I will still take my pics, but I'll keep this in mind.

Altair
07-21-2012, 08:04 AM
How can taking photos of anyone at WDW do damage?

Because there are lots of sick people on the internet. It's why I don't put family photos in my internet photo albums.:(

Melanie
07-21-2012, 08:29 AM
I take pictures of characters all the time without myself or my kids in it for the INTERCOT Twitter account. I've never had a CM tell me not to do so. Strange.

BrerGnat
07-21-2012, 09:14 AM
I've taken many pictures of characters from the sidelines. Sometimes I get a random kid in there. Who cares? Sorry, but that's ridiculous that you aren't "allowed" to take pictures of anyone's kids without their consent. I take pictures of my kids all over the Disney parks, and USUALLY there are other kids in the shot. At the pool, playground areas, etc. It's impossible NOT to get other kids in the shot.

When I take a picture of Cinderella Castle from Main Street, I get TONS of people in the shot. Is that not allowed either?

Whatever. I will continue to take pictures of characters from the sidelines. There is no reason not to.

MNNHFLTX
07-21-2012, 12:17 PM
I spoke with my character cm friend and she stated that it is. "rule" but enforceable by the cm's. It's there based on taking pictures of people's children when with the characters. There is a state law that you cannot take a picture of someone's child without their permission so it's essentially based off that. But it's enforceable by the cm's as to whether they feel you are taking the picture with someone's child in there as well.Having lived in Florida, I do not believe there is a law that makes it illegal to photograph someone else's kids in a public place without the parents' permission. Think of it--band concerts, dance recitals, graduation ceremonies, sports meets, etc--it happens all the time. Aside from the characters, how many pictures at Disney do we all take that inadvertently include other people's children? You would really have to ban cameras from the parks to keep that from happening.

Scrappy2
07-21-2012, 12:32 PM
The only time I had this happen was during Star Wars Weekend and I was trying to take a picture of Darth Vader. I did not want to wait in line and just snapped a picture when he first walked up. No kids had approached him yet. I think it was more they were wanting to keep crowds from forming all around him.

mechanic
07-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Just did some internet research and found no references to any such law. Just a proposal to make photography of farms a felony. Most photo websites and ACLU state that anything or one in a public place or private place open to the public can be photographed. Private places like Disney may ban photos with clearly posted signs.

WDW&MK
07-21-2012, 09:15 PM
DH and I were talking about this and he brought up the fact that Disney sells you pics of other people's children all the time when you purchase your picture from almost any attraction except Buzz Lightyear. If I buy pics of myself from almost any other attraction - because it is just DH and myself (no kids), there are always other people in the pic and usually some are children.

lawgirl
07-21-2012, 09:24 PM
yes... so just remember... evidentally its ok to cut and get a picture than to wait off to the side and snap a quickie while noone is standing there ;) jeesh some of these CM's need to lighten up a little! What's the worse they can do to you? Maybe you should snap a picture of the CM next time! :D

Haha! Love the suggestion! Take their photo next time...great one!

I seriously think there are so many rules the CM's have to remember that I figure alot of them just make up their own rules as they feel like it, especially if they are having a bad day. Or they don't understand some of them, and are crazy strict about stuff.

I cannot imagine Disney having a rule like that....you've paid to get in the park, and its not like the characters are a paid event or anything. I would snap away!

TinkerbellT421
07-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Having lived in Florida, I do not believe there is a law that makes it illegal to photograph someone else's kids in a public place without the parents' permission. Think of it--band concerts, dance recitals, graduation ceremonies, sports meets, etc--it happens all the time. Aside from the characters, how many pictures at Disney do we all take that inadvertently include other people's children? You would really have to ban cameras from the parks to keep that from happening.

I agree. Doesn't make much sense at all in my mind. Just repeating what the cm told me regarding the Disney picture rule and that's what she said. I'm not a law person so don't even have the slightest idea on how to research. But either way I think the whole thing is very bizarre lol

Venus0880
07-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Interesting post. In fact my dh and I argued about this last visit. I said no we should not because I felt we were receiving the stank eye from many a queuers. He was not concerned with any dirty looks. Mind you it was not of anyone's children and I can't imagine a 20 something couple giving anyone the creeps. But we definitely were getting evil vibes from those waiting.

ANG
07-22-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm beginning to think some CM's make up their own rules.:confused:
I do make sure no one else is in the photo.

Ditto. I try not to be creepy and capture other people's kids haha.

badkitty
07-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I, too, was denied a photo op from the sidelines. I was excited to see Russell and Dug at AK and tried to snap a picture as I passed by. I wasn't in anyone's way but the CM ran up to me putting his hand over my lens and told me I couldn't take the picture. I asked why and he stated that I was taking pictures of other people's families. I explained that I definitely wasn't since I didn't want a picture of strangers, only the characters, and I was waiting until the kids moved out of the shot. He said that didn't matter and told me to get in line if I wanted a picture or move on. Sadly, I didn't get my picture and was embarrassed by the way the CM treated me.

MNNHFLTX
07-23-2012, 12:00 AM
I, too, was denied a photo op from the sidelines. I was excited to see Russell and Dug at AK and tried to snap a picture as I passed by. I wasn't in anyone's way but the CM ran up to me putting his hand over my lens and told me I couldn't take the picture. I asked why and he stated that I was taking pictures of other people's families. I explained that I definitely wasn't since I didn't want a picture of strangers, only the characters, and I was waiting until the kids moved out of the shot. He said that didn't matter and told me to get in line if I wanted a picture or move on. Sadly, I didn't get my picture and was embarrassed by the way the CM treated me.
Wow--mind-blowing. I still cannot imagine why Disney would even consider this type of rule. It would be impossible to enforce consistently and you would think they would have to post it at the meet and greets.

BrerGnat
07-23-2012, 07:59 AM

Wow. Crazy.

I would have gotten in the line, and then started taking pictures of the people in front of me in the line.

This is a ridiculous "policy."

bmj721
07-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Maybe Disney should focus more on the aberrant behavior of the BTG's and their negative effects on Disney customers and less on the innocuous situations of simple photo-taking of charaters. Sounds like Disney is confused concerning their priorities.

mariak
07-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Wow, I actually have heard of that happening one other time. I thought it was an isolated incident. A friend of a friend went a couple years ago at Christmas. Obviously, it was very crowded. She did the same thing and had the EXACT same response from a cast member (maybe the same one??). She’s an attorney and was very careful to wait until there were no children with the character and thought it very odd, when she was reprimanded, that she wouldn’t be permitted to take the photo of only the character. When she returned home, she mentioned it to my friend who, in turn, asked me about it. I told her that I’d never heard of such a thing.

On our next trip to WDW (a couple months after this incident), as I was standing in line with my daughter (waiting for “Up” pictures) I asked the cast member about this policy. She said that she had never heard of such a thing. She also added, “The only thing I can do is stop you from holding up the line. I can’t keep the next person in line from walking up to the character for someone else to take a picture. We have to keep the line moving.” We both came to the conclusion that, the cast member in question must have misinterpreted instructions during training.

I’ve taken pictures of just the characters in between people coming and going many times (sometimes to get my camera settings right, sometimes just to get the characters) and I have never had that happen (knock on wood). If the character saw you taking the photo, and stopped to pose (in turn prompting the next person in line to stop), that might be where the problem was… but that would be the character’s fault. They should be told that they can’t do that. I don’t think you did anything wrong.

Have a magical day!

Maria :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
07-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Ha! I just remembered a time where DBF and I actually got yelled at by a CM for taking a picture. At the time when you were allowed to ride in the front with the monorail driver, the driver was away from the switch board podium and when we were walking into the car DBF snapped a picture of the switch board because it's kind of "sci-fyish" looking and cool, well the CM standing outside the door and start screaming "NOOOOO YOU CANNOT TAKE A PICTURE OF THAT! SIT DOWN AND DO NOT TAKE ANYMORE PICTURES!" I was so utterly embarrassed. Still don't know what the big deal was. I just remembered that story!

So strange. So, out of curiosity I started doing major google searching for giggles at work, and there is something odd about the Orlando area in general. Seems to be a lot of stories of this happening to people at Universal, So waterparks, etc. Google an article called "Man harassed at Orlando theme park for picture taking plans another visit"

SandmanGStefani24
07-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Never heard of such a thing. We've often taken pictures of characters we've seen in the parks even though we are not planning to stand in line to see them. No-one has ever told us we needed to get in line in order to take such a picture (By the way, we don't have any children).

us too. Maybe we are more covert about it hehe. I took a pic of Buzz adjacent to his ride but I was standing next to some trees. Wasn't trying to hide, more like stay out of the way. Still, I don't think it's wrong to do so.

And BMJ721, I agree totally!

BIGDOG
07-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Well, that's ridiculously harsh. Somehow, I don't picture myself arguing with a CM when s/he's pointing to the exit and the theater is filling up with smoke.

Actually, I don't go to Walt Disney World to argue with CMs.

1st -I was just tossing out a quote from the Pirates movies.

2nd - Who's talking about fire, the thread was about taking a picture ?

3rd - Who said anything about arguing with a CM?

4th - I just ignore them like most people on this site do to your comments.