PDA

View Full Version : Adults need to remember

tigmickey
07-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Adults need to remember who WDW was built for, KIDS. Kids love interactive queues! Kids love character meet and greets! Kids love rides that spin in a circle slowly!

It gets frustrating to check into the boards to see what is going on and read ALL THE NEGATIVITY!! What's next, complaining that it is HOT in Florida? That it is crowded in July? That sometimes the Monorail stops because it is backed up?

Things happen. Things change. It is how we deal with things that make us adults and not spoiled larger children. (I know it is ironic that I am complaining about people that are complaining.)

Think about this, if someone never heard of WDW and could only find out about it with these boards, THEY WOULD NEVER GO!!

The world needs less hatred. Let's start with these boards...

SBETigg
07-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Well, it is a forum full of adults (or 13 and up). Most times, it's commentary and not complaints and we all have a right to it. I seldom see any actual ugliness on the site. Have made a lot of friends, never encountered hatred. And, actually, WDW was built for families, families of all kinds, which includes kids and adults. I think all points are valid and people are entitled to ask questions or feel as they do.

It is hot in FL in July. The recent thread that I saw on that wasn't complaining, but asking how best to deal with the heat (which is a wise question- heat can cause problems). Also, comments on crowds or backups/transportation problems-- it's good to know that other people have encountered issues or what crowds are like. These are all concerns, not complaints. Sharing information helps us all have a smoother vacation when we get there, more smiles, less complaints. So all in all, good point on being positive, but we're not here to just celebrate Disney and paint a positive picture. We're sharing concerns, offering advice, and we all share the love even when we have issues to discuss. I really have no idea where you are coming from on the hate thing because I just don't see it here. And that's why I love INTERCOT!

disneymom15
07-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Well, it is a forum full of adults (or 13 and up). Most times, it's commentary and not complaints and we all have a right to it. I seldom see any actual ugliness on the site. Have made a lot of friends, never encountered hatred. And, actually, WDW was built for families, families of all kinds, which includes kids and adults. I think all points are valid and people are entitled to ask questions or feel as they do.

It is hot in FL in July. The recent thread that I saw on that wasn't complaining, but asking how best to deal with the heat (which is a wise question- heat can cause problems). Also, comments on crowds or backups/transportation problems-- it's good to know that other people have encountered issues or what crowds are like. These are all concerns, not complaints. Sharing information helps us all have a smoother vacation when we get there, more smiles, less complaints. So all in all, good point on being positive, but we're not here to just celebrate Disney and paint a positive picture. We're sharing concerns, offering advice, and we all share the love even when we have issues to discuss. I really have no idea where you are coming from on the hate thing because I just don't see it here. And that's why I love INTERCOT!

Nicely put, I couldn't have said it better.

faline
07-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Adults need to remember who WDW was built for, KIDS.

I have to disagree with this. Walt Disney, himself, said what prompted him to think about Disneyland was his desire for a place where families - which of course, includes adults - could have fun together.

One of the reasons I spend so much time on Intercot is because everyone here is so nice - I rarely encounter negativity here - only lots of people who all enjoy Disney and like to share their knowledge - good AND bad.

It's a bit ironic to read your post which, to me, appears to be a bit negative.

civilmousefan
07-18-2012, 06:20 PM
I read your post and I had to respond. As a previous poster had stated - Walt Disney's intention was to create an amusement park that could be enjoyed by the whole family. To suggest that WDW was built just for kids is simply incorrect. I don't think any of the parks or resorts that encompass WDW are solely intended for kids enjoyment. If you were designing a kids only entertainment venue, would you have built EPCOT or Animal Kingdom? I also believe that the other two parks have many attractions that appeal to the adults.

Also, my opinion of the people who blog on INTERCOT have a likeness for Disney that is greater than most people. I see their comments as a way for them and myself to publicly express their thoughts on all matters related to WDW and Disney. Sometimes, persons will disagree with what they see at WDW and come here to express that - and get a feel for how others also feel. Nothing wrong with that - IMO.

buzznwoodysmom
07-18-2012, 06:58 PM
I can agree to some extent that there can sometimes be more negativity than other times, but Intercot as a whole is way less negative than 99% of Disney forums out there.

It's tough when the place you love get's a lot of negative feedback, but you also have to remember that sometimes it's deserved. Disney does a lot of things right, but they are not perfect and there are things that need fixing at the moment. People often times complain because they want something done about the bad stuff they see, they don't want to see their beloved Disney in any state other than practically perfect. Most of the time the negativity isn't just so people can hear themselves complain (sometimes I think it is, but most of the time it's not-LOL).

I have to disagree with you about WDW being just for KIDS! Of course Walt wanted kids to come and have fun, but Walt's idea was that families, both chidren and adults, could come to a place to enjoy together. Adults are actually very well catered to in WDW in the form of weddings, spas, dining, WS in Epcot, bars, clubs, and so on, so it's hard to say it was intended soley for children.

DizneyFreak2002
07-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Adults need to remember who WDW was built for, KIDS. Kids love interactive queues! Kids love character meet and greets! Kids love rides that spin in a circle slowly!

It gets frustrating to check into the boards to see what is going on and read ALL THE NEGATIVITY!! What's next, complaining that it is HOT in Florida? That it is crowded in July? That sometimes the Monorail stops because it is backed up?

Things happen. Things change. It is how we deal with things that make us adults and not spoiled larger children. (I know it is ironic that I am complaining about people that are complaining.)

Think about this, if someone never heard of WDW and could only find out about it with these boards, THEY WOULD NEVER GO!!

WDW was not built FOR KIDS... it was built for FAMILIES and KIDS OF ALL AGES, including ADULTS...

We need MORE people to be honest and critique WDW in fairness... Too bad too many people are blinded by the dust to see the imperfections of WDW and are ready to jump n someone who isn't addicted to the dust...

What I am saying here is, TDO deserves the negativity drawn upon it... They are idiots and need to be called out for Walmarting WDW.... Starting with Meg "I'm In Over My Head" Crofton...

DizneyFreak2002
07-18-2012, 07:12 PM
I can agree to some extent that there can sometimes be more negativity than other times, but Intercot as a whole is way less negative than 99% of Disney forums out there.

It's tough when the place you love get's a lot of negative feedback, but you also have to remember that sometimes it's deserved. Disney does a lot of things right, but they are not perfect and there are things that need fixing at the moment. People often times complain because they want something done about the bad stuff they see, they don't want to see their beloved Disney in any state other than practically perfect. Most of the time the negativity isn't just so people can hear themselves complain (sometimes I think it is, but most of the time it's not-LOL).

I have to disagree with you about WDW being just for KIDS! Of course Walt wanted kids to come and have fun, but Walt's idea was that families, both chidren and adults, could come to a place to enjoy together. Adults are actually very well catered to in WDW in the form of weddings, spas, dining, WS in Epcot, bars, clubs, and so on, so it's hard to say it was intended soley for children.

Someone gets it!!!!! Awesome post... Thank you for saying that... :thumbsup:

Dulcee
07-18-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm one of the first to say sometimes these boards are filled with people who are too much stuck in the past and dreaming of yesteryear

But,

WDW was never built as a destination solely for kids. Its families, young, old or mixed. Criticism happens, does it occasionally get out of hand? Sure, but compared to some boards Intercot stays pretty tame.

TinkerbellT421
07-18-2012, 07:42 PM
So, DBF and I who travel to Disney without children are not welcomed in Disney? sorry that's the impression I received in your comment.

I normally would have ignored this post, but I felt the need to comment and I whole heartedly agree with all the points the others have said.

This forum is the only forum I have actually made a name for never mind actually post on. The other Disney forums were so negative, always seeing clear cut arguments with each other, down right calling each other insulting names with what seems to be NO admins controlling it.

This is by far the nicest sweetest bunch of members ever. Some of which I am even friends with on Facebook thanks to this board.

Do some of us disagree with each others opinions? absolutely. But that is in everyday conversations not just Disney related. Dealing with different age groups of these members, different countries, different tastes, different families, different lifestyles, we are all bound to disagree with each other. The difference is we can TALK with each other not AT each other with our disagreements. We can make adult conversations without insulting and arguing. Discussing our opinions with each other, maybe even help someone see your opinion in a different light is what makes this board great.

This might sound corny, but I feel like INTERCOT members are like a little Disney family. Right wrong or indifferent, I have no qualms with anyone here and hopefully none have any with me.

Are there times when we all are disappointed or feel like something Disney is doing may be going in the wrong direction? absolutely! but that is part of life, every where, every day. We cannot blindly say that everything and anything Disney does is great and grand. It's not, and we will all have our own opinions as to why we agree or disagree. This is a board where we are able to go and SHARE these opinions with others that understand our passion and love for it all.

Okay, off my soapbox now.

honeebee86
07-18-2012, 08:49 PM
I have to say that there are FAR worse boards than this! Some literally have people swearing and name calling on them. This board has always been quick to stop anything that seems to be offensive or getting out of hand. However, people do have the right to point out things they feel are slipping in quality at WDW. If you don't agree with it, then that's great. Also, Disney made it very clear that the parks were for families to have a place to spend time together. And today, the word family does not automatically mean you have children. My husband and I do not have children by choice right now and we are annual passholders who visit WDW almost once a week (yes, we are addicted). In fact, lots of people go to WDW without children whether they have them or not.

Ed
07-18-2012, 09:08 PM
Folks, since this discussion is not really "News, Rumors or Imagineering", I'm going to move it to the Mousellaneous forum where all may feel free to discuss.

dnickels
07-18-2012, 09:52 PM
"Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought - sometimes it isn't much, either."

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Walt's words, not mine.

cer
07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
"To all who come to this happy place, welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future...."

:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
07-18-2012, 11:15 PM

You're 'good people'. Well done.
:mickey:

tigmickey
07-19-2012, 09:09 AM
OK, time for me to sharpen my point.

I NEVER used the word JUST. Yes, I agree WDW was built for families. Yes, adults are welcome (I can't believe that someone would think that is what I was saying). The rides were there to amuse children and parents get to enjoy them also.

Why do you think that there is the MNSSHP? Yes adults enjoy it but it is for kids, I don't mean teens and young adults, but kids. Why are there only a handful of "thrill" rides? Disney appeals to kids.

My complaint is that when a new princess meet and greet was announced there were those who thought this was a bad ides. Bad Idea?? Making it easier for little girls to meet their idols??? WDW didn't put the princesses there for adults (yes some love them and wait in line).

Intercot is the most positive of all Disney message boards, this is why I have been coming here for over 10 years where some others I will never go back.

Here is my point in a nut shell:
Just because Disney does something that doesn't appeal to "you" does not make it a bad idea.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
07-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Just because Disney does something that doesn't appeal to "you" does not make it a bad idea.

So you are saying that those who have an opinion about things that are going on in one of their favorite vacation locations are not allowed to voice that opinion??

Someone that has 3 boys under the age of 11 isn't going to be thrilled with yet another Princess photo op. And if you really read the posts from those that aren't thrilled with yet another Princess Photo op - most are mother's with no daughters. Now, I have 3 sons and 1 daughter and when it comes to character photo ops - there are far more Princess ops than there are ops with other characters.

As for your statement about kids and Disney and then your last post - go back and read your original post - You don't have to use the word 'JUST' for people to read your original statement as your stating that Disney is exclusively for kids.
DL and WDW are for Families and that includes those with and without children. Interactive Queues are nice - for those without children once; the slow rides are great for those of us that don't like thrill rides - with or without children; and the photo op meet and greets are fun for everyone -they just need more variety than just adding MORE Princesses.

minnie04
07-19-2012, 10:02 AM

I come on here to hear it all good, bad and even ugly. I want to hear how people had the best time and also what happened that made your time in WDW so bad (if that happens). I love getting tips and heads up on what’s going on. It does really help when planning. Most of the people here will never meet in person, but can know they helped in whatever way to make someone else’s vacation a pleasant one. :mickey:

Honestly, who cares who the parks cater too. When I pass the gates I feel like the world is stopping for the few days. And if someone gave me the heads up on whats going on in the parks (before getting there), My vacation will be that much better!!!

seanyred
07-19-2012, 10:21 AM
First off I will say that Intercot has got to be one of the most respectful and positve WDW forum I have found. I enjoy a good hearted debate about different points of view. Compared to other sites this is a very pleasant community.

That being said the only thing that bugs me sometimes is people who complain for the sake of complaining. Constructive critisim is far more productive to a conversation. However, I don't think that the complaining is the norm at this site.

brownie
07-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Walt built the parks so families could do things together. He didn't want parents sitting on the bench like he did when he watched his daughters riding the carousel at the park they went to.

We're all going to find things we don't like about Walt Disney World because we're all different and because Disney World provides a lot of different experiences for people of all ages. Our likes and dislikes are going to change over time. We have 2 teenage boys. Dumbo was important when they were younger. Now, they have no interest in it. Personally, I would rather see a lot of other things put in other than a new princess meet 'n' greet. If I had a daughter, I might have a different take on it.

Putting our opinions out there, as long as we do it respectfully, is not going to stop people from going to Disney World. It's that melting pot of opinions that helps to plus and form the parks over time. If the parks were only made to cater to young children, or to focus it even more, young girls, then a lot of people would in all likelihood stop going.

If I never voice a negative opinion or disagreement, and neither does anyone else, there would be no positive change. It's through disagreement, dialogue, discussion, and even conflict that creativity and change occur.

If I disagree with something at Disney World, I'm going to voice my opinion. I'd expect that would be respected just as I would respect the opinion of someone who's opinion differed from mine. It would be a disservice to not honestly voice my opinion, good or bad.

I think that if we all only said things that were positive and Disney World only catered to kids, it would turn into something that a lot of us hated. And should that happen, we'd only have ourselves to blame for not speaking up.

SBETigg
07-19-2012, 10:47 AM
OK, time for me to sharpen my point...
Intercot is the most positive of all Disney message boards, this is why I have been coming here for over 10 years where some others I will never go back.

This is, in fact, more clear now, a better point. Thank you for clarifying. I was wondering what kind of hate you were seeing out here. But, I also think that because we love, we want to comment on things that we find agreeable or disagreeable. There's always someone who will shrug at the opinion and not comment, or actually feel differently and make a case. Sometimes, yes, it's not my favorite when it seems like there's more negative than positive, but it usually balances out.

DizneyFreak2002
07-19-2012, 11:37 AM

Just because Disney does something doesn't make it a good idea either...

And with the decisions TDO makes, well, none of them are usually good decisions... They are always made with the bottom line in mind, not guest satisfaction... it is "LET'S DO THE ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM" which is what they have been doing the last 10 maybe 20 years....

As for the princess meet and greets, well, I already have stated many times how this could have been accomplished WITHOUT losing Snow White's ride... So yes, losing Snow White for a meet and greet is a bad idea... if not a dumb one...

And most of the negativity you see really truly stems from the mismanagement of the parks... Only the facts are brought up..

FACT: TDO has cut maintenance to almost nothing...

FACT: Many rides are in rough shape and NOT getting fixed due to these budget cuts...

FACT: Bad show is now the norm.... Rides would be 101 or even shut down for months long refurbishments when one piece of bad show was center stage... Today??? Things are allowed to run no matter the poor condition...

That is mismanagement... The complaints you see really boil down to the dopes running the place... And until they go (and they can't go soon enough), you won't see a change...

DisneyDINK
07-19-2012, 11:56 AM

Well, let's think about another scenario: what if a family went to WDW without doing their homework at a place like Intercot. Wouldn't they likely be blind-sided by all sorts of things? They would show up and not be able to eat at lots of restaurants because they didn't understand the importance of ADRs. They might not pack the proper clothes to deal with the Florida weather. They might book a holiday weekend and not know how much more crowded the parks were going to be. They might miss out on hundreds of dollars of discounts because they didn't understand the intricasies of Disney's resort pricing or that there are travel agencies like MJ that will work to save you money at no additional cost to them. They might instead go to some travel agent who recommends a resort which they later find they are less than crazy about (which is what happened to me on my first adult trip to WDW). I can only begin to explain all of the stuff I have learned about WDW on these boards and how much it has enhanced my experiences at WDW.

Honestly, I do sympathize with the OP. Despite my screen name and its obvious implications I'm glad there are things geared to kids, and only kids, at WDW. I want kids and families to have fun. There are pleanty of grown-up good times to be had for me.

..and yeah... maybe we could complain a little less.

tigmickey
07-19-2012, 04:09 PM
I never stated that we should not look with a critical eye. I never stated that parents/families should not be aloud in.

Maybe it is not what is said but how it is said. Take the time to re-read the posts about Avatar. There are very valid concerns. (What if the next 2 movies are like the Matrix:shake:) But you would have to admit that some of the concerns are that "I" won't like it so it should not be done. I am not looking to point fingers at anyone )

brownie
07-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Moderator Warning:

This thread is heading in the wrong direction. Let's keep it respectful. Discuss the issue without making it personal.

DizneyFreak2002
07-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Let's see if this makes sense, I'm beat, my brain is fried, but I have this thought on my mind and want to get it out there... And I have to get up early to get my Dark Knight Rises tickets in the A.M....

I view WDW like a sports team... You can be a fan of a sports team yet be critical of it... Doesn't make anyone less of a fan, and it surely doesn't make you negative...

I'm a Yankees fan, as are many of my friends... However, I don't fall in line with every move Brian Cashman makes... If I don't like a trade or a signing, I'll express my displeasure over it... I'll also praise the competition, such as Tampa Bay... To my friends, well, the Yankees can do no wrong and they are the only team on MLB... When I praise a team such as Tampa Bay, they attack, like I said something wrong... And forget criticizing a move Cashman or Girardi makes... They look at me like I have two heads... This doesn't make me any less of a fan, nor does it make them better Yankee fans than me (I just think they are delusional LOL)...

The same goes for WDW... You can be a fan of the place (and I assume we all are or else we wouldn't be here) and still criticize a business decision you don't like or bring up poor management or discuss things that are falling apart and where WDW is lacking or how TDO is cheap and how they think guests are idiots, I can go on... or even talk about how Universal has caught up and in some ways surpassed WDW... Or even say that you enjoy Universal or SeaWorld and other things outside of the gates of WDW...

No one person is a bigger fan or a better fan than the other... Just some of us prefer to hold Disney to their own high standards instead of TDO's lazy little as possible, just good enough attitude....

tigmickey
07-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Let's see if this makes sense, I'm beat, my brain is fried, but I have this thought on my mind and want to get it out there... And I have to get up early to get my Dark Knight Rises tickets in the A.M....

I view WDW like a sports team... You can be a fan of a sports team yet be critical of it... Doesn't make anyone less of a fan, and it surely doesn't make you negative...

I'm a Yankees fan, as are many of my friends... However, I don't fall in line with every move Brian Cashman makes... If I don't like a trade or a signing, I'll express my displeasure over it... I'll also praise the competition, such as Tampa Bay... To my friends, well, the Yankees can do no wrong and they are the only team on MLB... When I praise a team such as Tampa Bay, they attack, like I said something wrong... And forget criticizing a move Cashman or Girardi makes... They look at me like I have two heads... This doesn't make me any less of a fan, nor does it make them better Yankee fans than me (I just think they are delusional LOL)...

The same goes for WDW... You can be a fan of the place (and I assume we all are or else we wouldn't be here) and still criticize a business decision you don't like or bring up poor management or discuss things that are falling apart and where WDW is lacking or how TDO is cheap and how they think guests are idiots, I can go on... or even talk about how Universal has caught up and in some ways surpassed WDW... Or even say that you enjoy Universal or SeaWorld and other things outside of the gates of WDW...

No one person is a bigger fan or a better fan than the other... Just some of us prefer to hold Disney to their own high standards instead of TDO's lazy little as possible, just good enough attitude....

Very well said. When I wrote the original post I had just finished reading the Avatar thread start to finish. It can be very depressing how many "fans" can be negative. I didn't mean to cause anyone stress.

There is nothing wrong with open discussion as long as all parties are respectful. I have some very good friends whom I disagree with concerning politics but we never get mean or personal. We see things different.

As I stated I am not pointing fingers INTERCOT is the best Disney board that I check out. I mostly lurk to find out information and whats whats.

In closing, I think that I was frustrated and vented. If I would have chosen my words more closely there wouldn't have been so much brew-ha-ha. Thanks.

dizneydeb22
07-20-2012, 11:04 AM

I understood what you meant. My husband I go to WDW alone from time to time, but I didn't feel slighted by your comments. Some of the posts prove your point exactly. I can think of one particular poster who is constantly negative and I have begun to skip over their posts. Yes, I do believe that Disney makes mistakes, but some of the responses are just over the top with negativity. I take it with a grain of salt.
Now I also believe that everyone has a right to their opinion and to be able to discuss it. If it bothers me, I just skip it. 99.9% of the great people on ICOT are not negative, so just overlook the nay sayers and keep the magic going. One thing I've learned is that you cannot make everyone happy. Judging by the crowds, Disney is not doing such a bad job!
Have a great day everyone! Our differences/individuality are what makes this world go round.
In light of what happened in Colorado this morning, the broken animatronics on Splash Mountain do not seem like such an important problem! :grouphug:

MaterializedHaunt
07-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Just throwing my 2cents in here. I was a kid and still am big time at heart! I am 27 years old and I will wait in a princess line just to get my picture with Jasmine! (dont tell my gf about that, she hates when I see Jasmine haha). But while Disney is very attractive for kids indeed. Adults are very attracted to Disney! Hence I go back every year without kids. Just my little thoughts.:party:

mickeys_princess_mom
07-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Just throwing my 2cents in here. I was a kid and still am big time at heart! I am 27 years old and I will wait in a princess line just to get my picture with Jasmine! (dont tell my gf about that, she hates when I see Jasmine haha). But while Disney is very attractive for kids indeed. Adults are very attracted to Disney! Hence I go back every year without kids. Just my little thoughts.:party:

:high5:

minnie04
07-20-2012, 04:08 PM
I understood what you meant. My husband I go to WDW alone from time to time, but I didn't feel slighted by your comments. Some of the posts prove your point exactly. I can think of one particular poster who is constantly negative and I have begun to skip over their posts. Yes, I do believe that Disney makes mistakes, but some of the responses are just over the top with negativity. I take it with a grain of salt.
Now I also believe that everyone has a right to their opinion and to be able to discuss it. If it bothers me, I just skip it. 99.9% of the great people on ICOT are not negative, so just overlook the nay sayers and keep the magic going. One thing I've learned is that you cannot make everyone happy. Judging by the crowds, Disney is not doing such a bad job!
Have a great day everyone! Our differences/individuality are what makes this world go round.
In light of what happened in Colorado this morning, the broken animatronics on Splash Mountain do not seem like such an important problem! :grouphug:

Well said !!!! :thumbsup:

darthmacho
07-20-2012, 05:00 PM
A lot has been said here already, but I want to make two points, and apologize if they have been made already.

1. There may be debates over some decisions that Disney makes over their theme parks, and a longing for attractions of the past, but I think that the Intercot boards are a haven for people with an overwhelmingly positive view of WDW. :rocks:

2. WDW is not for kids. It's for everyone. As much as I loved my first trip with both my kids in 2010, I'll always cherish my very first trip, which consisted of just me and my wife...alone...as adults. :groom::bride:

texas211
07-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Isn't that why we are on an internet board, to agree/disagree and discuss all kinds of ideas?

As far as interactive queues. I don't feel that all rides need them. But people, not just kids, need stimuli 24/7 and if they can't get it, feel they are being deprived of something equal to oxygen.

Some rides need to change, some should never. But, I'm one of those people that only believe maybe 25% of all change, or so called progress, is actually good.