PDA

View Full Version : WAWA is officially open in Orlando!

PirateLover
07-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Today was the grand opening of the first Wawa in the Orlando area. If you don't know what "Wawa" is, you are missing out! I have heard people compare it to a 7-11, but no, no, no. It is so much more than that. Until you have one right down the road from you, and then move somewhere where you no longer have it so conveniently close, you probably won't fully understand how awesome it is.

To everyone in the area, I really encourage you to check this place out. I know many people who work for the company, it is a good company to work for, and each new store will create 35 new jobs in a time when the economy certainly needs job creation! Their gas is always among the most reasonably priced in the area, and they never charge more for using a credit card.

I know I am coming off like some kind of corporate spokesperson but I swear, I have no affiliation with the company. I have just grown up on WAWA!

From Media Patch:

"In the winter, Wawa, headquartered in Middletown Township, announced its plans to expand to Florida and the first of those stores is scheduled to open this week.

Wawa's official Florida grand opening countdown clock has just hours left on it as Store 5101, on Central Florida Parkway in Orlando, directly across from Sea World, is expected to open on July 18.

The first Florida Wawa broke ground in November and has stayed on schedule for its July opening.

Along with Store 5101, Wawa is on target to open five stores in five weeks in Orlando and Kissimmee this summer and then stores in Pinellas Park, Port Richey and Tampa are expected later, according to the Wawa website.

During each grand opening event, Wawa will invite local officials, heroes and community members to celebrate in the festivities, sample Wawa products and learn about Wawa’s expected economic and community impact, according to a Wawa press release.

“We can’t wait to open our doors to our new Florida family, and are excitedly to quickly enter the Greater Orlando area and begin offering our new customers our unique brand of appetizing convenience,” said Howard Stoeckel, Wawa CEO, in a press release. “As each location opens, we will further solidify our commitment to filling a void in our new Florida customer’s lives, providing them with a level of convenience and appetite appeal our customers have come to rely on us for.”

Wawa will open six stores in Orlando in 2012, and begin to open its first stores in Tampa in 2013. Throughout the Orlando/Tampa markets, Wawa plans to open 20 stores in 2013, 25 stores in 2014 and 25 stores in 2015, and projects they will open 100 stores in the Orlando/Tampa markets in the next five years, according to a Wawa press release."

MadMadamMim
07-18-2012, 12:00 PM
As a life long Pennsylvanian I have to concur. WaWa is amazing! Go check it out ASAP!

SBETigg
07-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Wawa! I have friends and relatives in New Jersey and have spent enough time there to confess to some familiarity with Wawa. I wouldn't mind having one close by me. Sadly, not in CT.

barnaby
07-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Wawa will open six stores in Orlando in 2012, and begin to open its first stores in Tampa in 2013. Throughout the Orlando/Tampa markets, Wawa plans to open 20 stores in 2013, 25 stores in 2014 and 25 stores in 2015, and projects they will open 100 stores in the Orlando/Tampa markets in the next five years, according to a Wawa press release."
My mom (retired from Wawa after 25+ years) was telling me about the planned Wawas in Florida. I meant to look it up.
They should do well down there. The convenience they offer with the food and gas are unlike any other place I have gone to.

figgie
07-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Welcome to Florida, Wawa! We are glad to have you here. My family up north are looking forward to Wawa coffee when they visit and my DH is happy about that too!:party:

Hammer
07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Called my Mom, who now lives in Tampa, and let her know she will soon be able to have a Wawa shorti Italian hoagie again!

Pop Centurion
07-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Nice to know I can get a Wawa Hoagie while in Orlando if I'm ever in the mood.
It's funny because there's been times when we came home from the parks late at night & I said to my wife "I could go for a Wawa Hoagie."
I like to get the Carolina Honey Smoked Turkey with Pepper Jack Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Roasted Peppers, & Buffalo Bleu Sauce on a toasted roll. :eat:

garymacd
07-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Wawa?!?

Sounds like a town in northern Ontario!

Katzateer
07-18-2012, 08:07 PM
WAWA is one of the nice surprises since moving to PA! And now they have Kona coffee:cloud9:

wildernesslady
07-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Welcome WAWA. Try it you will like it.

Scar
07-18-2012, 09:57 PM
OK, maybe I'm missing something here, but I've known Wawa for... I don't even know, at least for 25 years. How are they different from any other convenience store?

They don't even sell beer. ;)

Ed
07-18-2012, 10:11 PM
One of the new stores is being built about five miles from my home, and, conveniently enough, right on my route to/from work. I've been anxiously watching the construction; it appears they are within a week or two of opening. Since Florida's laws are a little different from other parts of the country, I'll definitely check to see if the Florida stores will be selling beer, just as the 7-11's, Circle K's, Hess Express's, and Racetracks in this area do. Stand by for a report, Jeff. :beer: ;)

Ed
07-18-2012, 10:23 PM

NEWS FLASH -

I just read a review of the new Orlando store, and they have - - are you ready for this ?? - - a walk-in :beer: cooler!

Melanie
07-18-2012, 11:03 PM
LOVED Wawa when we lived in Maryland back in early 2000's. Was surprised to hear they were coming to Florida. We now are back in the DC area and living close to many Wawa's again. YAY!

Scar
07-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Yea NJ's beer laws are different than most other states, but we don't have to pump our own gas.:thumbsup:

VWL Mom
07-19-2012, 09:25 AM
NJ's beer laws are different than most other states, but we don't have to pump our own gas.

Have you thought about submitting that as our new slogan? Sure is better than the one we have :D

Katzateer
07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
OK, maybe I'm missing something here, but I've known Wawa for... I don't even know, at least for 25 years. How are they different from any other convenience store?

I don't think the older stores are any better than regular convenience stores but the newer ones that have the deli counters and large coffee bars are very nice. They have about 10 big containers of coffee to chose from and a lot of food choices. I like the coffee better than(gasp!) Star bucks and it is a lot cheaper. And the iced tea is very good also.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
07-19-2012, 10:16 AM
WAWA, Sheetz, QT - all make traditional 7-11 type gas stations look like dirty outdated back alley food stops.

dnickels
07-19-2012, 10:56 AM
I lived up in SE PA for a bit and got to experience WAWA. Yeah I suppose it's nicer than your average convenience store, but I can count on one hand the number of times I buy food from a gas station per year so I'm not exactly treating it as the second coming. If nothing else, it'll give some of the "we did it better back home" northeastern transplants a little slice of civilization. More variety, more choice is great. :thumbsup:

I may have to go check out this walk-in beer cooler when I get back this fall though! :beer:

DisneyDog
07-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Wawa isn't just a gas station. It's a great place to get hoagies. It's a full service deli. We have a Turkey Hill near where I work, brand new, and all of their sandwiches are premade and nasty. All of my coworkers bypass the Turkey Hill and drive 10 minutes down the road to go to Wawa. And, that's one of the old Wawas. We have a new Wawa and it's beautiful and clean. HUGE store. And they have the best gas prices around. My DH is addicted to their meatball hoagies.

Oh, and they have the best commercials in the summer when it's time for Wawa Hoagiefest!:party:

Ed
07-20-2012, 03:59 PM
NEWS FLASH # 2

Another Wawa is under construction on SR535 just south of the Walmart, one mile south of World Drive.

barnaby
07-20-2012, 09:05 PM
NEWS FLASH # 2

A other Wawa is under construction on SR535 just south of the Walmart, one mile south of World Drive.

From what I read, 4 more on the way in the Orlando area.

From an article in the Orlando Sentinel:
"The next Orlando-area stores to open will be on Hoffner Avenue and South Goldenrod Road in Orlando, John Young Parkway and Silver Star Road in Orlando, U.S. Highway 192 and Simpson Road in Kissimmee and Orange Blossom Trail and on East Donegan Avenue in Kissimmee."

Renfairwedding
07-21-2012, 12:18 AM
We are getting a new WAWA few miles from our house. Can't Wait!

Katzateer
07-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Wawa isn't just a gas station. It's a great place to get hoagies. It's a full service deli. We have a Turkey Hill near where I work, brand new, and all of their sandwiches are premade and nasty. All of my coworkers bypass the Turkey Hill and drive 10 minutes down the road to go to Wawa. And, that's one of the old Wawas. We have a new Wawa and it's beautiful and clean. HUGE store. And they have the best gas prices around. My DH is addicted to their meatball hoagies.

Oh, and they have the best commercials in the summer when it's time for Wawa Hoagiefest!:party:

The Turkey Hill isn't too great, huh? Wondered....when we lived in Ohio we had some wonderful Kroger stores nearby which I really miss. They were very nice. Turkey Hill is owned by Kroger. Wonder why they don't do better with their food items.

Ed
07-22-2012, 08:24 AM
From what I read, 4 more on the way in the Orlando area.

From an article in the Orlando Sentinel:
"The next Orlando-area stores to open will be on Hoffner Avenue and South Goldenrod Road in Orlando, John Young Parkway and Silver Star Road in Orlando, U.S. Highway 192 and Simpson Road in Kissimmee and Orange Blossom Trail and on East Donegan Avenue in Kissimmee."

Correct. Those are all supposed to be opening very soon.

But the one on 535 at Poinciana Blvd. is yet another location. Right now, it's just an open lot undergoing site prep with a sign announcing it's going to be another Wawa.

goofiecrazy
07-22-2012, 10:52 AM
i have always grown up on wawa!! we had 1right around the corner from my house growing up!! if ur not from the area up here u dont know what ur missing lol... our last trip 2 disney we drove n stoped at a wawa in va! stop the madness we were like what what!! soft pretzels lol... now they are going 2 b close 2 my happy place aka disney is even better!!

Altair
07-23-2012, 06:07 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens when Quik Trip shows up, and it will show up. I believe they are out of Texas and have moved up into the Mid-West.:secret: