PDA

View Full Version : A Different Park Approach--Cause It's Sizzlin!

mickeys_princess_mom
07-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Headed to the Magic for the first time in July w DH, just for a few days. We are wanting to just keep it light and stressfree as possible, and know it's going to be ridiculously hot. What sort of things do you do differently in the parks in the extreme heat? I'm reading about the wait for the opening in the MK, thinking, OK--I can skip that as much as I love it, cause it will be packed and no shade, so...maybe arrive a tad after it opens ...I can enjoy this part in a cooler month, etc...Suggestions? (I have one-- won't even think about Lights, Motor, Action! I remember how rough that was in late May!)

buzznwoodysmom
07-18-2012, 08:57 AM
We have done several summer trips and we tend to tour the parks much different in the warmer months.

Like you already mentioned we don't arrived for any of the park opening ceremonies, it's just too darn hot to stand in that crowd. I find it works well to arrive just after, like 10 minutes later. In our experience most of the crowds are already in the park, yet your not late enough for the lines to be too long yet. Once in the park we only stay for a few hours then head back to our resort for the rest of the day, returning to the park later that evening. The middle of the day is too hot to be in the parks.

We tend to skip daytime parades too. It's just too hot to get a spot early, so we just skip them unless we happen upon one and there's a decent spot to view it from.

We visit often enough that we are totally OK with skipping any attraction that has a line too long, or that is out in the sun. If we feel it's too hot to get in a really long line my family has no issues just passing it by.

We spend half days, or more, at our resort pool. We are not big beach people. I actually LOVE the beach, but only for a few days then we are bored. We don't like just sitting around on a beach all day, day after day. Disney in the summer kind of gives us that "lay back and relax" kind of trip you can get from going to the beach, but we have the parks to fall back on when we get bored or want something to do. So we sometimes sleep in, hang by the pool all day without leaving the resort till dinner. We have a nice dinner then hit the parks just as the sun (and temps) is going down. Those have been some of our best days in WDW.

I guess the main thing we do is throw out any kind of plan and just wing it.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-18-2012, 09:18 AM
We have done several summer trips and we tend to tour the parks much different in the warmer months.

Like you already mentioned we don't arrived for any of the park opening ceremonies, it's just too darn hot to stand in that crowd. I find it works well to arrive just after, like 10 minutes later. In our experience most of the crowds are already in the park, yet your not late enough for the lines to be too long yet. Once in the park we only stay for a few hours then head back to our resort for the rest of the day, returning to the park later that evening. The middle of the day is too hot to be in the parks.

We tend to skip daytime parades too. It's just too hot to get a spot early, so we just skip them unless we happen upon one and there's a decent spot to view it from.

We visit often enough that we are totally OK with skipping any attraction that has a line too long, or that is out in the sun. If we feel it's too hot to get in a really long line my family has no issues just passing it by.

We spend half days, or more, at our resort pool. We are not big beach people. I actually LOVE the beach, but only for a few days then we are bored. We don't like just sitting around on a beach all day, day after day. Disney in the summer kind of gives us that "lay back and relax" kind of trip you can get from going to the beach, but we have the parks to fall back on when we get bored or want something to do. So we sometimes sleep in, hang by the pool all day without leaving the resort till dinner. We have a nice dinner then hit the parks just as the sun (and temps) is going down. Those have been some of our best days in WDW.

I guess the main thing we do is throw out any kind of plan and just wing it.

I think you are so right about just being flexible. I DO enjoy the beach thing, but I am going to try to just balance things, cause I looove me some parktime, too! Have no plans to just stand in long lines. Will play it by ear and get fastpasses for the ones I can't live without. :mickey:
Definitely going to be open to saying "uncle" and heading back to the room/pool/beach for awhile so we can come back later refreshed for a nice dinner and some more fun.
I hadn't thought about the parades. Good point! Was thinking this is not the time of year to do the Speedway, too....Very open to the possiblity of getting splashed, though! :D
Will try to conserve steps and not do a lot of crisscrossing the parks. We are still going to have a ball, I know. :wave:

VWL Mom
07-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Since you'll be going back again in November I agree with putting up the white flag and going back to the resort if it's too hot or crowded.

We tend to avoid AK during the summer months. I know on our last trip overheard a CM saying the ground temp there had reached 100! No thank you.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Since you'll be going back again in November I agree with putting up the white flag and going back to the resort if it's too hot or crowded.

We tend to avoid AK during the summer months. I know on our last trip overheard a CM saying the ground temp there had reached 100! No thank you.

Laughed out loud at the "white flag" analogy. :mickey: Exactly! I have my fingers crossed that we'll get there earlier than we planned to squeeze a half day of AK in, but unfortunately it will be the second half of the day, so I do realize that's a really bad idea :faint: :sun:, but I'll take it! I just love being there!

SBETigg
07-18-2012, 09:56 AM
We will get out early in the morning to take advantage of some park time before the high heat of the afternoon. But we usually skip opening ceremonies as well. We will usually have our biggest meal during the hottest part of the afternoon instead of in the evening, followed by some downtime, naps in the room or showering to refresh or resort shopping/activities or pool time.

We take advantage of cooler evening hours to enjoy the parks. Our evening meal is a light snack or quick service between attractions. We are sure to drink plenty of water, use sunblock, wear hats, and seek air conditioning when possible, which means most of our quick service meals are venues with indoor seating.

wdwfansince75
07-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Most of our trips have been in June/July, so I guess the habits we have acquired now can be interperted as strategy. From the earliest visits, most of the family has only rarely spent the entire day at a park. Since the inception of Park Hoppers, we always hop, so we can do the other parks until it is too hot, return to the Resort for a break, and head to MK for or after dinner...
I often am the one who breaks the pattern...I sometimes hoard FP's, and stay at the parks for some FP fun, and meet the clan for supper...under the new rules, I will have to revise that approach. (Note that DW rarely does the FP rides, so I usually get two...hers and mine...to use.)

Occasionally, we will close one of the other parks, especially if MK had morning EMH. Most of the family sleeps in, but as a morning person, I usually do the morning EMH park, with some of the DK's and DGK's, and rendezvous with DW and the rest of the family at a preplanned time and place. Even with some standing, we still find that the Morning EMH, especially at MK, allows us to do our "Must do's" by early afternoon, and then, head for a break.

Animal Kingdom can be a problem....as all note, it seems much hotter than any of the other parks...Even on EMH mornings, it is hot at opening, and heats up from there...there are several shady spots prior to opening, but they fill up fast...once inside AK, we usually try to get FP's for EE, and then heat to KS...have found that another approach is to get FP's for EE, ride standby on EE, and head to KS...did that last trip, and found that the standby line for KS, even on an EMH morning, had not built up before regular opening...also found out that there is no sure way to do the Nemo show without standing in the heat...
Discovered that the one exception to the Heat and Humidity problem at AK seems to be affection station...been there twice, both on hot days, and it just seemed cooler there...not true of the trails, but seemed that way at AS. Also has that nicely airconditioned facility there, although DGS#4 seemed to want to spend lots of time outdoors, in the barnyard.

One last tip for July survival...For your own good, Dole Whip...as oft and as much as may be!

BrerSchultzy
07-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Most of our trips have been in June/July, so I guess the habits we have acquired now can be interperted as strategy.
One last tip for July survival...For your own good, Dole Whip...as oft and as much as may be!

And I thank you tremendously for all of those trips! As my dad said, we usually went in the summer, and mid-day is horrible, sweaty and crowded. Couple of tips/warnings....you used to be able to go into some of the counter-service restaurants just to sit down and cool off...but every once in a while, on crowded days, they don't let you do that anymore. So, if it's one of those days, and you just have to sit down to get out of the heat, head to the First Aid Center....you don't need to get medical attention to sit in their waiting room.
Also, remember that you can get a bottle of water with a snack credit on the DDP. And once you have the bottle, you can keep refilling it at the water fountains (or you could bring your own bottle, and use the credit for a Dole Whip).

Roger's #1 Fan
07-18-2012, 12:36 PM
We have traditionally visited in late August, the week before Labor Day when all the local kids are back in school. This year, however, my son is performing at Disney so we are going in mid-August. One other item I can recommend are the personal fans with water bottle sprayers. They do offer some relief when in standby lines. Also, sunscreen is a must when moving around the park mid-day.

Also, remember to pack ponchos or be prepared to wait out the afternoon rainstorms that happen almost daily.

One visit we got caught entering DS with a reservation at Sci-Fi and were soaked by the time we got across the park.

joonyer
07-18-2012, 12:39 PM
We usually try to plan indoor attractions around the outdoor waits, etc. If you plan it right, you can enjoy cool a/c throughout most of the day. There are numerous indoor attractions in most parks. AK being the big exception.

SBETigg
07-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Also, getting wet in the high humidity is not always the pleasant solution to heat it seems that it might be if you're in the parks. You don't really dry off, but end up feeling uncomfortably moist all day until you can change clothes. Something to keep in mind.

Tigerinvestigator
07-18-2012, 01:46 PM
ITS SO STINKIN HOT HERE IN TENNESSEE!!!! We are actually looking forward to the cooler temps at WDW next week. Looks like mostly 80's and maybe 90 during the day and 70's at night! My kids will want to wear jackets after being in 100-108 the last few weeks. lol:thumbsup:

Jared
07-18-2012, 01:51 PM
I've been in the parks for some hot days, and I strongly disagree with the people recommending you skip the opening ceremonies. I would get to the parks as soon as they open every day and see as much you can before it becomes unbearable. By 11 a.m., it will be so warm outside that you will want to retreat for the hotel pool. Come back when the sun goes down.

Essentially, stay in the parks only during the cooler hours: the early morning and the night.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-18-2012, 10:57 PM
I've been in the parks for some hot days, and I strongly disagree with the people recommending you skip the opening ceremonies. I would get to the parks as soon as they open every day and see as much you can before it becomes unbearable. By 11 a.m., it will be so warm outside that you will want to retreat for the hotel pool. Come back when the sun goes down.

Essentially, stay in the parks only during the cooler hours: the early morning and the night.

Oh, I agree that we should go early! Just thinking about standing there waiting. I realize there will be some standing and some waiting regardless! :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
07-18-2012, 10:59 PM

Oh, that is a HUGE part of my survival plan, too!!!! :high5: :papple:

mickeys_princess_mom
07-18-2012, 11:03 PM
We are sure to drink plenty of water, use sunblock, wear hats, and seek air conditioning when possible, which means most of our quick service meals are venues with indoor seating.
I was thinking the same thing about the Counter Service meals....one reason I've arranged to be in MK for the day we're going to use two CS. Epcot has several that we love, but a lot of them are outside.....One of the changes we're making. I have a feeling we may want to split some of them, too. Won't be as hungry in the heat.

PlutoPlanet
07-20-2012, 04:38 PM
I use a small spray bottle, not the ones with a fan, but the 3 oz. bottles you can get at the drugstore. If you have a freezer in your room you can freeze a wet washcloth and put it in a plastic sandwich bag. These last about 2 or 3 hours in the August heat for us.

Also, don't try to see everything in one visit.

PlutoPlanet
07-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Oh, I agree that we should go early! Just thinking about standing there waiting. I realize there will be some standing and some waiting regardless! :mickey:

I agree. Get there at the opening. You have the park (almost) to yourselves for 1 hour.

DisneyDawgette
07-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Definitely plan your FastPasses accordingly with the heat! We just took a large group of kids at the end of June (luckily, we were there the day after Debbie, so it wasn't TOO hot the first day), and we based when and which FastPasses we got based on whether or not the queue was air-conditioned! We decided to DEFINITELY FastPass Splash Mtn. and Big Thunder, and sucked it up for some of the other lines that were indoors!

I do disagree though with not doing AK! We went with the kids and though it was hot, one dip on KRR will keep you so drenched that the heat is not too much of an obstacle. And we FastPassed almost every major ride by about 3pm! Not too bad! They even left 4 of the rides open late that night because of the crowds and we walked onto EE FOUR times with our group of 15 kids! It was great! :D

Venus0880
07-22-2012, 11:41 AM
ITS SO STINKIN HOT HERE IN TENNESSEE!!!! We are actually looking forward to the cooler temps at WDW next week. Looks like mostly 80's and maybe 90 during the day and 70's at night! My kids will want to wear jackets after being in 100-108 the last few weeks. lol:thumbsup:

As a fellow southerner (work in tn).....AMEN!!!

mickeys_princess_mom
07-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I use a small spray bottle, not the ones with a fan, but the 3 oz. bottles you can get at the drugstore. If you have a freezer in your room you can freeze a wet washcloth and put it in a plastic sandwich bag. These last about 2 or 3 hours in the August heat for us.

Also, don't try to see everything in one visit.

I've used the spray bottles with the fan, but never without...That works well? Considered it. I will absolutely try the cool washcloth thing, but I think we don't have a freezer,just a fridge...
Hopefully the tips on here are helping some other people out, too.! Thanks, everybody! I am sooooo ready!! :wave:

mickeys_princess_mom
07-22-2012, 01:03 PM
I do disagree though with not doing AK! We went with the kids and though it was hot, one dip on KRR will keep you so drenched that the heat is not too much of an obstacle. And we FastPassed almost every major ride by about 3pm! Not too bad! They even left 4 of the rides open late that night because of the crowds and we walked onto EE FOUR times with our group of 15 kids! It was great! :D
Wow! I never heard of them extending the hours a bit like that! How neat it would be if they do it again! I truly think the current plan, due to DH's working for awhile Tuesday, is to crash for awhile (him, not me--I'll be "too excited to sleep") and get up about midnite to leave. That way we'll get there in time to rest a bit, then hopefully go to AK! We won't have a long time there, and it's totally the wrong way to do it, but it's the only way. I need two full days in MK :blush:, and last day will be in Epcot. At least I'll get to wander around and do a few things. Lion King is my 'must-do'!!! :simba:

Ischyros
07-24-2012, 08:45 AM
My wife and I went on our honeymoon in late July a couple years ago. The first day we tried the option of being there right away, going back to the hotel for lunch, swimming, resting, and going back to the park in the evening. But that was the only day we did that. We found that after a hot day and swimming, we just weren't feeling like being in a crowded, muggy park in the evening again.

I can't say it's the best plan, but after that we typically got to the parks just as they opened and rode the major rides, which didn't have much of a wait. Had lunch early, usually by 11:30 at the latest, rode some less popular attractions, and headed back to the hotel around 2 o'clock or so. Then we'd swim, shower, nap, whatever, go have a nice dinner somewhere and just relax. Half day in the parks was enough for us, especially since we had still spent about 6 hours or so at each and saw what we really wanted to see. We know we'll be back to do more later.