PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a Midlife Crisis I think.

caryrae
07-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Anyone else go through this? I am a male and just turned 39 last month and it just seems lately I need a change. I keep getting this feeling I would really like to move to a whole new different place in a new city and state. I have lived pretty close to where I do now all my life. I am also getting that feeling that I would love a new career change but that would be hard since I only have a high school diploma and have done tile installation for about 16 years. I am getting tired of it because of wear and tear on body and the work can be very off and on but the money is pretty good when I do work.

faline
07-17-2012, 07:49 PM
We all go through different stages in life. First, take a good look at your skills: Do you have hobbies that have provided you with skills you can turn into a career? Do you have skills related to your current position that you can transfer to another position? Sometimes you really have to think through what those skills are - they might come naturally to you without your really thinking about them as skills you can transfer to another line of work.

If you want to move, think through what that means. Where would you go? Would it be a location that you like better or would you find yourself missing where you are currently located? Would that pull you far away from friends and family? How would that feel to you? Do you make new friends and connections easily?

You might start taking a course at a community college on a topic that interests you - photography? astronomy? Doesn't matter - as long as you have an interest. You might be surprised where that leads.

Best of luck!

PirateLover
07-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Faline gave some GREAT advice. I think everyone experiences feelings like this at some point in their life. I am only 26, but being currently out of a job and with the cost of living around here being so high, DH and I always think about relocating. I'm not even sure that the line of work I've been in is really what I want to do for the rest of my life. I joke with everyone that I am having a "quarter" life crisis, but it really can be a scary thing to just pick up and leave, or make a drastic change. Most of us have a fear of the unknown; however, I do know quite a few people who have gone for it and made big changes in their lives, and are so much happier now. Good luck :thumbsup:

garymacd
07-18-2012, 07:45 PM
At forty, my oldest brother bought a Trans Am. My older brother bought a Mustang. My kid brother got a divorce. Not his idea, by the way.

I bought at bicycle.

I agree with a lot of the comments here. Fall is coming and community college calendars should be out soon. Take a look through them and see if there is something that piques your interest. Photography, fencing, massage, cake decorating, even courses for new career paths.

Tiggerlovr9000
07-19-2012, 03:43 AM
We are empty nesters and I turn 50 in five months.. I am ready for a new adventure. I want to sell the house, move to a new state, and change jobs.. I am so restless. We have lived in the same town since 1984. As a child we moved all the time and didnt want my kids to. If I could just win the lottery I could do all the things on my list...:cool::cool::blush:

Caroleh
07-21-2012, 08:31 AM
That hit me at 40. I met the love of my life, got married and moved to a whole new country. It was something I'm glad I did...would I do it again? No, because in these times you need a job(if you're not retired) and those don't easy. Now at 54, I want to explore the world and learn 2 languages!!!

We all get to the point sometime when we get tired of doing the same ole, same ole day in and day out.

disney obsessed
07-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I want to run away and join the circus on a regular basis.

My kids are older and do not need me very much. My husband just bought a boat, which I am not a fan of, and I finally got my mom into assisted living. I have time on my hands....

When I say I think about running away, I am serious. I have planned a path in my head where I would go and have even explored camping to save money. This must mean I am truly desperate because I Do NOT camp. Ever. I know that I cannot go directly to DW because they will look there for me first. So I will head to upstate Michigan. I have never been there and I hear it's nice.

So this is how I deal. I have a vivid imagination and it's a great fantasy. However, in reality, I have been searching for a part time job, finding out where I can volunteer and pushing myself out of my box. It is really easy to get stuck. The trick is to get yourself unstuck. The path you use to get there is up to you.

Just don't do anything to drastic, like camping across country and not telling anyone where you are, without considered thoughtfulness and planning.

There are great ideas here. But I get you!

Katzateer
07-21-2012, 10:56 AM
I know exactly how you are feeling! I need a career and some volunteer activities but where we live now there isn't anything close to where we live. I need the courage to branch out.

I don't have any close family or friends nearby, my girls are involved in their own college activities and I am BORED. I'm not sure even how to meet people now. My best friends have been relatives or friends I met through work or kid-related activities.During the almost 3 years we have lived on the east coast I have not made one friend, at least not one friend that wants to go to lunch, outings or just hang out. If it wasn't for my old friends in Ohio calling every week and Facebook I would have gone crazy!

Hope you can figure out where you would like to live and work and find a great new adventure to live.

MNNHFLTX
07-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Change can be a good thing--if you are truly ready for it. Since the age of 23 I have been moving around the country every so often--Florida, then New Hampshire, then back to Florida and now in Texas. It certainly has opened my eyes to possibilities I might not have considered before and I have met some amazing people along the way. But there are sacrifices to picking up and starting over in a new place--leaving family behind, establishing a new support system, finding a new job, getting used to regional cultures (and weather!) Obviously, to leave your comfort zone, you have to be okay with being uncomfortable for a while, lol. BTW, I'm the only one in my family to have left our home state--Minnesota. :)

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!