PDA

View Full Version : Le Cellier Signature For Lunch in 2013

Strmchsr
07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
I know it was rumored, but it has been confirmed now that Le Cellier will be a "signature" restaurant for lunch and dinner beginning in 2013.

DVCJohn
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
It is a good thing that I have a reservation for a lunch this October. That will be the last time I eat at Le Cellier.
The food is excellent but IMHO not THAT GOOD.

LandFan
07-13-2012, 01:00 PM
It is a good thing that I have a reservation for a lunch this October. That will be the last time I eat at Le Cellier.
The food is excellent but IMHO not THAT GOOD.

My thoughts exactly - unless I am paying OOP...

joonyer
07-13-2012, 01:34 PM
After I ate there the first time, I had to ask myself, was Le Cellier so highly rated because it deserved its ratings, or was it so popular because it was over-rated? Like others have said, I found the food (and atmosphere) to be good, but nowhere near all the rave reviews I had been seeing. I can get just as good steaks at my local Outback or other chain steakhouses. I was expecting so much more. I think Disney just went to "signature" status on both seatings because the place is so popular, they will still be full for every meal. No different than raising the prices on the dining plan and food in general, not to mention rooms and park passes.

Strmchsr
07-13-2012, 01:37 PM
No different than raising the prices on the dining plan and food in general, not to mention rooms and park passes.

Well, it is different. They're not just raising prices. The menu is different and the food is definitely a much higher quality on the "signature" version. That said, I don't understand why they're switching lunch to signature as well. Probably a move to cut overhead so they don't have to plan for 2 menus, but I thought it was a neat way to handle things to have it as a signature for dinner, which is usually when you want a more "formal" meal anyway, and regular for lunch. I hate to know I won't ever eat at Le Cellier again, but I'm definitely not doing signature prices even with a TiW card.

mom2morgan
07-13-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm glad I have it booked for September. I've always wanted to try it, but I just don't "do" two credit meals unless it is a really special occasion.

DizneyRox
07-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Who didnt know ths was coming...

It's high on my list of most overrated restaurants on property. On its best day, I rate it on par with Outback Steakhouse. Can't imagine 2 TS credits for just lunch.

cer
07-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Boo.

I did not dislike LeCellier, but I don't think it is a Signature Dining Experience, and I am not willing to try it as such even if the menu has changed.

I wonder if they will lose business or maybe have to attract a whole new clientele that has never before dined there when it was a non-signature dining experience? Does that make sense?

I wonder how this will play out?

By the way, are there any other signature dining restaurants that serve lunch? :confused:

VWL Mom
07-13-2012, 05:59 PM
By the way, are there any other signature dining restaurants that serve lunch? :confused:

The Brown Derby in DHS serves lunch and also charges 2 TS.

We seem to be in the minority but did enjoy the new menu, especially the appys. Actually our meal there was much more interesting than Cali Grill. I would have no problem doing a late leisurely lunch there with that menu and paying OOP.

joonyer
07-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Well, it is different. They're not just raising prices. The menu is different and the food is definitely a much higher quality on the "signature" version. . . .

What I meant was that by raising the number of credits required for certain meals, you are getting less meals for your money even if the cost of the DDP is the same (it's steadily increasing too). I expect more of the same in the future. In the big picture, it means more profit for Disney (not that there's anything wrong with that).

TheDuckRocks
07-14-2012, 04:59 PM
I thought they were out of crazy when they changed dinner to 2 credits, just not worth it to me. I seriously think you would have to be the crazy one to spend 2 credits for lunch.

Nascfan
07-14-2012, 10:12 PM
What does that mean for us "regular" people who aren't on the dining plan and just want to go there for lunch? Does that mean an increase in prices? Do we have to dress up to go there now? We really wanted to have lunch there to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary but if we have to dress up we'll have to check into other places.

ElenitaB
07-14-2012, 10:21 PM
We seem to be in the minority but did enjoy the new menu, especially the appys. Actually our meal there was much more interesting than Cali Grill. I would have no problem doing a late leisurely lunch there with that menu and paying OOP.
Lynn, I think you're going to have an amazingly easy time getting ADRs. We won't be going back for either lunch or dinner, on the Dining Plan or paying out of pocket.

Scott, I wouldn't worry about having to dress up too much. I would imagine that the normal rules for signature dining would apply. Not allowed:

Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing. While T-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that T-shirts with offensive language or graphics are not acceptable.
What is allowed leaves you lots of room:

Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.
Ladies: Capris, skirts, dresses, jeans, dress shorts.

A Big Kid
07-15-2012, 07:05 AM
[/b]
who didnt know ths was coming...

It's high on my list of most overrated restaurants on property. On its best day, i rate it on par with outback steakhouse. Can't imagine 2 ts credits for just lunch.

mte

Strmchsr
07-15-2012, 08:07 AM
I don't like the change, but everyone saying "it's not worth it" I think is jumping the gun a little. We don't know if it's worth it. It's not like they're taking the same menu they've always had and just charging more for it. They're doing a totally different menu and dining experience. It might be worth it to those who enjoy signature restaurants. I doubt I'll go because we generally can't budget in that much for food, but the new menu might be completely worth it if you like the high end dining experiences.

BugeyedMuggy
07-15-2012, 12:51 PM
We think the food quality is not worth a 2 signature and with all the hype feel even one credit was never worth it trying to get a dining time. We have TIW and still have not been in years. Too much for pretzel bread and cheddar soup. There are other signature and off property dining that has so muchmore to offer . Not to mention the sitting on top of each other tables at LeCellier. Beware table 25 where you get the rest room and wait staff double bumping you.

joonyer
07-15-2012, 02:34 PM
I never thought dinner at Le Cellier was a "signature" dining experience, so even with a menu change, I don't expect lunch could really be worth 2TS credits either. That being said, since Disney has been marketing the Dining plans so heavily the past 5 years or so, the quality of the dining experience at all signature restaurants (at least the ones on the DP) has decreased significantly in my opinion. I'm not sure any of them are really worth 2 credits anymore. We have been to both Cali Grill and Artist Point in the last few years (paying OOP) and I felt both of them were not as good as they were 7-10 years ago. With so many people using the DDPs, I think they don't have to depend on high quality food/service in order to fill all the tables. They've already got your money.

wdw dude
07-15-2012, 04:59 PM
As much as I love Le Cellier, I wouldn't spend 2 credits for lunch. Good thing I got a reservation for lunch in November. I guess I won't be going back much any more. :(

:mickey:

housemouse
07-16-2012, 09:45 PM
O.K. here's my .02 worth. Many years ago prior to the dining plan days, you could walk up to LeCellier at 12:00 noon and be seated(and I did on more than one occasion) with little to no wait. Now I'm no expert on running a resturant but having all the tables full most of the time would seem like good business. Fast forward to the last few years. Not only are they full most of the time, they are booked 6 months in advance. Could it get any better for the resturant? Well, time will if this is a good decision or not and I may be proven wrong(as I have been many times before) but why mess with sucess.

joonyer
07-16-2012, 10:08 PM
O.K. here's my .02 worth. Many years ago prior to the dining plan days, you could walk up to LeCellier at 12:00 noon and be seated(and I did on more than one occasion) with little to no wait. Now I'm no expert on running a restaurant but having all the tables full most of the time would seem like good business. Fast forward to the last few years. Not only are they full most of the time, they are booked 6 months in advance. Could it get any better for the resturant? Well, time will if this is a good decision or not and I may be proven wrong(as I have been many times before) but why mess with sucess.

That's exactly why the dining plans are good business . . . . for Disney. But that doesn't make it a good value for their customers. They have in essence, a captive audience, because nobody wants to leave the parks or the "world" to eat somewhere else. The dining plans have worked like a charm for Disney and all the restaurants operating there. But it certainly isn't because an increase in food quality or service.

Checkers
07-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Wow, I hadn't heard this. I have mixed feelings about LeCellier. Last Oct. we had lunch there (no DP) and really enjoyed it but we really like to order a salad with our meals (considered an appetizer on the DP) and do not always want dessert. Really think overall the DP has had a negative affect on the quality of food and we have been going to WDW for almost 20 yrs. so have seen from year to year how it has changed. I just wonder what the saturation point will be for guests.

azcavalier
07-17-2012, 01:03 PM
I know it was rumored, but it has been confirmed now that Le Cellier will be a "signature" restaurant for lunch and dinner beginning in 2013.

Not doubting you, but where has this been confirmed? I haven't seen anything on this anywhere else.

Strmchsr
07-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Not doubting you, but where has this been confirmed? I haven't seen anything on this anywhere else.

It's in the deluxe planning guide for the 2013 DDP that Disney just released. You can see it on their site here. (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2013DeluxeDining.pdf) Where it lists signature restaurants you can see Le Cellier with both lunch and dinner marked.

Gator
07-17-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm surprised it took this long for this to happen. However, I'm saddened. Me and my wife love this place, and lunch worked out just fine for us. But with a higher DDP credit and out of pocket price, we may have seen the last of Le Cellier.

azcavalier
07-17-2012, 11:14 PM
It's in the deluxe planning guide for the 2013 DDP that Disney just released. You can see it on their site here. (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2013DeluxeDining.pdf) Where it lists signature restaurants you can see Le Cellier with both lunch and dinner marked.

OK. I see that, but a quick perusal brings up other questions.....it *doesn't* include any restaurant from Italy, Mexico, Morocco, China, or Japan on the list from Epcot. Have they opted out of the dining plan? Or is it possible that this brochure hasn't been finalized, which means that it's subject to change?

Strmchsr
07-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Or is it possible that this brochure hasn't been finalized, which means that it's subject to change?

The brochure only contains those restaurants which have already been finalized. I don't expect that part to change. Those other places aren't listed because their contract hasn't been resigned yet for 2013. Some of them wait until even December to do it. Happens every year where people panic in December because they don't see their favorite place listed on the DDP. But, as for Le Cellier, this has been coming for a while. That one is pretty much finalized. I won't say it's impossible, though. If WDW gets enough negative feedback from guests about the switch it could change. They probably did it this way just to see if anyone noticed and cared.

joonyer
07-18-2012, 12:51 PM
. . . . . as for Le Cellier, this has been coming for a while. That one is pretty much finalized. I won't say it's impossible, though. If WDW gets enough negative feedback from guests about the switch it could change. They probably did it this way just to see if anyone noticed and cared.

They probably won't even consider changing Le Cellier back to a 1 credit lunch menu until they try it out first as a "signature" meal. If the restaurant is still booked solid for lunch as a 2 credit meal (which I expect that it will), then there is absolutely zero reason to change it back, no matter how many complaints they might get. A full house is a full house. It can't get any better than that for a restaurant operator.

Jared
07-18-2012, 01:24 PM
I should preface this post by saying that I do not like Le Cellier. In fact, I consider it the single most overrated experience in all of Walt Disney World. I do not understand why people flock there, and I doubt I ever will.

OK, now that we got that out of the way, I think it makes perfect sense for Disney to try Le Cellier as a signature restaurant for lunch. I expect it will remain packed for both meals. From the company's perspective, I see no downside.

Of course, it stinks for the people who will balk at the new price tag. But like we often say in other threads, Disney doesn't care about you or me or any individual customer. As long as somebody somewhere will fill the tables, they will consider this a success.

By that standard, I suspect it will be.

disneynarula
07-19-2012, 04:52 AM
I agree that this is one place that got to the Signature rank not by the quality of the food but by the hype.

It really does not affect you unless you are on the dining plan.

I miss being able to just walk up to Le Cellier for a quick lunch of soup and breadsticks.