PDA

View Full Version : American Idol News - Idol Alums to Become Judges

Melanie
07-12-2012, 06:29 PM
So, Steven Tyler quits today, JLo hints on the Today Show that she's going to quit as well, and I saw a rumor yesterday that Charlie Sheen and/or Adam Lambert may become a judge. Really? The constant in and out of judges starting with Kara is too much. :shark:

TinkerbellT421
07-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Yea I think I'm over the whole idol thing. Only reason why I watched it this year is because my mom does really still enjoy it so I watch with her as some quality mom and me time. But if it wasn't for that I wouldn't even bother. Ever since everyone split except for randy I think it went down hill. Though I did enjoy Steven Tyler at first, they all started to get on my nerves this past season.

SBETigg
07-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Seriously, just cancel it. We're done here.

greengeen
07-12-2012, 08:58 PM
If they hire Sheen or Lambert I wash my hands of AI forever!

PirateLover
07-12-2012, 09:52 PM
JLO and Steven Tyler milked what they could out of it, so I'm not surprised to see them go. Steven was good for a few laughs but overall neither one was very good at judging. I have not gotten much joy out of watching American Idol in a few seasons. If they hire Charlie Sheen, that will definitely be IT for me.

Melanie
07-12-2012, 10:25 PM
And now I see Randy is possibly going to quit as well, and Mariah Carey and Fergie are names being thrown around as well.

Seriously, what a mess.

TheDuckRocks
07-13-2012, 09:08 AM
I seriously don't see Randy leaving, more likely he's just going for more money. If I watch AI again this year will be very much be who will be the new judges. Charlie Sheen and it will be an absolute no go for me. I do agree with Sherri that it is time for an end to AI period.

SBETigg
07-13-2012, 11:35 AM
I can't watch America's Got Talent because Howard Stern's voice makes me physically ill. It would be the same for me if they put Charlie Sheen on Idol, but not his voice, his personality. And I also agree with my own earlier comment that I think they're done, anyway. They will recast the judges and once again say they have the best crop of finalists ever and hope to keep the train rolling, but we're not all eager to hop on board anymore.

AgentC
07-13-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm starting to think that these type of shows in general have run their course. I watched AI the first year with Jennifer Lopez and Stephen Tyler just to see them, but didn't watch at all last year.

I really enjoyed the early rounds of The Voice. I love the blind choice part but did get a little bored after that . I will probably watch that again because I like the judges

I haven't watched any of the newer talent shows and only watch America's Got Talent if I am flipping by and something catches my attention.

IamBelle
07-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I would watch if Adam Lambert was a judge, as an idol alum it makes sense. Charlie Sheen, however, DEFINITELY doesn't belong...what does he know about music?!?

Ian
07-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I gave up on AI a few years ago, I think, and I just didn't realize it. I started out watching last season and just got bored so fast I didn't even make it out of audition week.

I think if they really want to revive things a bit they should maybe have judges who are runners up from the season before or something. Inject a little new judge blood into the mix.

Honestly, Randy's "dawg" persona is just irritating now. Give it up, Randy. It's old.

PirateLover
07-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Jlo is officially out. She confirmed on Ryan Seacrest's show this morning. Reading reports now that Randy could stay as a package deal with Mariah Carey, since he manages her. Honestly Randy has actually gotten better, especially this past season. He doesn't do the dawg thing much anymore and actually gave some good constructive criticism. He still has catch phrases but I didn't find him as annoying as in the past. I think Mariah would probably be equivalent to Jlo in judging. Who will the 3rd be? Frankly I'd like to see Jimmy Iovine hop on the judges' panel. Last season he critiqued the performances in the results show and gave some of the best and most honest criticism.

PirateLover
07-16-2012, 02:33 PM
Now Aretha Franklin has thrown her hat with the enormous bow into the ring! They will have to make a decision soon, as the cattle calls have started and they will need to have a judging panel in place for the judges auditions, which usually happen end of summer/early fall.

SBETigg
07-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Now Aretha Franklin has thrown her hat with the enormous bow into the ring!

Hahaha, yes. I read that, too.

Randy manages Mariah? I had no idea. I agree that Jimmy as a judge makes sense since he has been a part of the show and providing guidance and commentary. He fits, and he is already part of the Idol family. Adam Lambert wouldn't bother me, either. I'm probably not watching again, but I can't actually say I won't because if nothing is on, I will end up checking it out anyway. Not if certain people are judging, like Sheen. But never say never. Still, so done with the talent shows.

MNNHFLTX
07-16-2012, 06:36 PM
I think if they really want to revive things a bit they should maybe have judges who are runners up from the season before or something.
That is probably the only way I'd ever watch this show again. Except if one of the judges was Fantasia. :nono:

TinkerbellT421
07-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Well, guess its official that Mariah Carey has signed on for American Idol for next year. I might still watch it as I like Mariah Carey. Though I'm a little turned off by her husbands comments he made last week,I think it was to TMZ, when he told them AI couldn't "afford" his wife. Just irritated me when he said that. Wonder what's going to happen when singers slaughter her songs? lol and wonder if Randy will still mention every time her songs are sung how he managed her blah blah blah speech lol

TinkerbellT421
08-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Per nbcnews:

Singer Nicki Minaj reportedly to be a judge on 'American Idol'
By Us Weekly
Nicki Minaj -- and her multiple personas -- will be joining Mariah Carey at the judges' table on "American Idol," two sources confirm to Us Weekly exclusively.
"I'm not sure the deal is completely done yet, but yes, she is definitely doing it," one insider reveals. "A few more slight things to sign off on but it is happening."

The music superstar talks about her unique image and her first international tour, and performs a medley of two of her songs, "I Am Your Leader" and "Beez in the Trap."
A second source says the "Super Bass" rapper, 29, is "100 percent confirmed to judge 'American Idol'." Reps for FOX and Minaj had no comment when contacted by Us.
PHOTOS: Nicki Minaj's craziest hairstyles
Advertise | AdChoices

Minaj -- born Onika Tanya Maraj -- toured North America with Britney Spears throughout 2011; she will embark on her own world tour beginning October 21 in Nottingham, England. The rapper's latest album, "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded," debuted at No. 1 in April 2012 and spawned two Top 10 singles, "Starships" and "Pound the Alarm."
On July 23, five-time Grammy Award winner Mariah Carey confirmed she will appear as a judge on "American Idol" next season. "As a singer, songwriter and producer, it's going to be fun and rewarding to help find new talent and give back with 'American Idol'," the singer said in a statement. "I can't wait to channel my creative energy as a part of this show which is a massive global phenomenon."
VIDEO: Would you rock a "backwards mullet" like Nicki Minaj?
As Us exclusively reported in late July, Nick Jonas, 19, is also in the running to fill one of the vacant seats at the judges' table. (Randy Jackson, 56, is being moved into a "mentoring role," according to a source.)

The "Who I Am" singer later confirmed the news via Twitter. "I am being considered to be a judge on American Idol," Jonas wrote. "And it would be a dream come true if it happens." N.E.R.D. rapper Pharrell Williams, 39, is also being considered, according to insiders.
PHOTOS: American Idol judges, then and now
Previous "American Idol" judges include Simon Cowell, 52, Paula Abdul, 50, Jennifer Lopez, 43, Steven Tyler, 64, Kara DioGuardi, 41, and Ellen DeGeneres, 54. Host Ryan Seacrest, 37, is slated to return for Season 12, premiering this winter.

I am certainly NOT a fan of Nicki Minaj, at all. This news actually sickens me a little :sick:

PirateLover
08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
No no no no no no no no no. Almost every other name thrown around I could deal with (except Charlie Sheen) but Nicki Minaj... EW. She has some cathcy songs but, she is trashy, foul-mouthed, and so annoying. Remember when she appeared on Idol last year, she almost bounced out of her ill-fitting top. :ack: Idol is crazy if they think she will bring in a wider audience.

TinkerbellT421
08-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I agree PirateLover!! I was completely and utterly annoyed when I saw this article. I am glad I am not the only one that cannot stand her. I think she has no talent whats so ever. And I really just cannot understand the big deal a lot of people make out of her. I don't get it. :confused:

I know I said it before, BUT, if she is a judge on Idol I will officially STOP watching.

SBETigg
08-20-2012, 04:37 PM
I agree PirateLover!! I was completely and utterly annoyed when I saw this article. I am glad I am not the only one that cannot stand her. I think she has no talent whats so ever. And I really just cannot understand the big deal a lot of people make out of her. I don't get it. :confused:

I know I said it before, BUT, if she is a judge on Idol I will officially STOP watching.

I have no love for Nicki Minaj. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be false, but who knows at this point. Still not compelled to watch again.

TheDuckRocks
08-21-2012, 12:06 PM
If true I am absolutely done!

IamBelle
08-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah I'm not a fan of Nicki Minaj either, her voice irritates me. If she is a judge, I will either just stop watching or fast forward whenever Nicki or Mariah speak!

Melanie
08-21-2012, 02:12 PM
And I saw mention of Enrique Iglesias as a possible judge this morning.

Talk about all over the map, although I guess that's understandable.

PirateLover
08-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Rumors are strong that they might go back to a 4 judge panel. Nicki is not confirmed yet but apparently she's been tweeting about needing to reschedule her upcoming tour but her fans will be really happy when they find out why. Enrique Iglesias, Adam Lambert, and Lenny Kravitz are also in the mix. Randy is still not confirmed to come back as a judge, so he could step aside to a different role if they bring in another male and don't go to the 4 judge panel. I hope they don't... 4 judges are way too much. The focus needs to be on the contestants!

TinkerbellT421
08-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Also, saw a rumor this morning that Mariah is NOT happy about the possible Minaj rumor because Mariah was apparently gauranteed that she would the only "female" judge. :confused:

I think Idol is on it's last leg.

Melanie
08-31-2012, 11:56 AM
And Randy is out!

BriarRose0708
08-31-2012, 01:49 PM
And Randy is out!

Woooooow, I never thought he'd leave. Haven't watched this show since Taylor Hicks won and it was getting bad then.

I saw Kelly Clarkson in concert on Wednesday night and she blew the roof off the place! Can't believe she won ten years ago. I think it's just time to take this show off the air.

kcrc
09-01-2012, 09:06 AM
So, when AI is finally done (which really should be now...), what happens to the American Idol Experience?

AgentC
09-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Woooooow, I never thought he'd leave. Haven't watched this show since Taylor Hicks won and it was getting bad then.

I saw Kelly Clarkson in concert on Wednesday night and she blew the roof off the place! Can't believe she won ten years ago. I think it's just time to take this show off the air.

:ditto:

SBETigg
09-02-2012, 11:09 AM
So, when AI is finally done (which really should be now...), what happens to the American Idol Experience?

It's a good question. I feel like they built this way late into American Idol's history, anyway. Like, when it was already on the way out. So, I suppose they would keep it for a few years after Idol goes, with a change of prizes, and then shut it down and find something else for the spot. As an attraction, it is more fun than I thought it would be but I wouldn't miss it if it were gone, either.

Melanie
09-16-2012, 12:06 PM
It's official - this show is desperately grasping to stay relevant. It's really apparent they are taking cues from other shows (Urban=Shelton on The Voice, Minaj=Lovato, Carey=Spears/Aguilera, for example). Hopefully this is the last season.

So, officially the judges are Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj, Keith Urban and Randy...who is staying, after some rumors otherwise.

Nicki Minaj, Keith Urban named new 'Idol' judges

NEW YORK (AP) — The "American Idol" judges' panel is now complete with the naming of singer-rapper Nicki Minaj and country crooner Keith Urban.

The Fox network officially tapped the pair with an announcement Sunday, confirming rumors surrounding them both just hours before the first round of auditions for next season was due to begin in New York.

The announcement also settled the status of Randy Jackson. He will stay put as the sole remaining original "Idol" judge, scotching rumors he might assume a different role on the popular talent competition.

This trio will join pop star Mariah Carey at a judges' panel now expanded to four members from its previous three.

Arriving at Lincoln Center, where the auditions would take place, Urban hailed "Idol" for its "great history of producing real stars."
As an "Idol" judge, he said he plans to be "authentic" but not cruel.

"I did similar shows when I was very young in Australia," he recalled, "and I was sort of crucified by one judge. So I don't know that I'll ever be THAT guy."
The makeup of the judges has been in flux since Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez announced their exits in July. Carey signed on later that month.

Ryan Seacrest will remain as host when the show returns for its 12th season in January.
"I am thrilled about this year's judges panel," said Mike Darnell, Fox president of Alternative Entertainment. "With an unparalleled star like Mariah, fan-favorite Randy, chart-toppers like Nicki and Keith and our incomparable host Ryan, we've put together one of the most exciting judging panels around."

"Idol" is looking for its famous new faces to supercharge a show that remains a ratings leader but has seen its viewership and pop-culture clout erode in recent seasons in an increasingly crowded talent show field. Besides Fox sibling "The X Factor," which recently added Britney Spears and Demi Lovato as judges, there's NBC's "The Voice," which boasts Christina Aguilera among its big names.

Minaj, 29, is known for her colorful hairstyles, wardrobe and antics. A native of Trinidad who grew up in New York, she has scored with hits like "Starships," ''Turn Me On," and "Super Bass," her seventh single, which has sold more than 4 million copies.

She is the first female solo artist to have seven singles simultaneously on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. She released her second studio album, "Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded," in April, and since then it has sold 1 million copies worldwide.

The 44-year-old Urban has four Grammy Awards and 14 No. 1 hits, and was named Male Vocal Artist of the Year three times, as well as Entertainer of the Year, by the Country Music Association. His latest CD, "Get Closer," has produced three consecutive No. 1 singles.
The New Zealand native is married to Australia-born film star Nicole Kidman.

"American Idol" ended the 2011-12 season as the leading entertainment show and No. 2 overall, just behind NBC's top-rated "Sunday Night Football."

But the show aired its least-watched finale ever and the advertiser-favored young adult audience has been steadily shrinking. The show's cachet hasn't been helped by a run of champions who have failed to achieve the career sizzle of past competitors Jennifer Hudson, Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson.
___

TinkerbellT421
09-16-2012, 12:10 PM
I am so not amused anymore by this show. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. And with adding Minaj? That was because no real singer worth any credibility would agree to this mess.lol I'm just bitter. I hate HATE Nicki Minaj....

Ian
09-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Fortunately I moved on from this show a few years ago and don't have to waste any effort being upset by this.

But if I were still watching I'd be with all of you lol ... these people are losers!

Melanie
09-16-2012, 12:43 PM
But if I were still watching I'd be with all of you lol ... these people are losers!

Oh, I haven't watched this show since I dropped out middle of the season Adam Lambert was on. Haven't missed it a bit. Just think all this musical chairs is amusing.

SBETigg
09-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Oh, I haven't watched this show since I dropped out middle of the season Adam Lambert was on. Haven't missed it a bit. Just think all this musical chairs is amusing.

I've watched since then, but the Lambert season was really the last one I enjoyed. It all changed after that, or I changed, got tired of the format. But it wasn't the same. And Nicki Minaj, ew, not a fan. So... I think that's it for me.

MNNHFLTX
09-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Fortunately I moved on from this show a few years ago and don't have to waste any effort being upset by this.

But if I were still watching I'd be with all of you lol ... these people are losers!See, I disagree a bit there--I think Keith Urban is quite talented and it's refreshing to have someone in there with a country background, given how there are Idol contestants every year who focus on country music. And I do think that Mariah Carey is an appropriate choice. But I won't be watching (again) this season because the show is just not relevant anymore (and I definitely would not be able to stand listening to Nicki Minaj's voice for more than two seconds).

What I think they should do for next season (if there is one) is do whatever they have to and bring back Simon and Paula to reunite with Randy for one last season. That would bring viewers back and the show could go out on a high note.

PirateLover
09-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Keith Urban will be a big draw but I really don't see Nicki Minaj being a good fit. I feel like Mariah will be equitable to JLo... I don't think she'll be able to dish out tough love easily but who knows. I think Minaj is going to be wacky. I really don't want to watch because I can't stand her but I've watched from day 1 so I may have to give it a shot, but Nicki may be the thing that permanently drives me away. 4 judges are too much. Mariah, Keith, and Randy would've been fine. Now once again it will be all about the judges.

Melanie
10-03-2012, 10:20 AM
And just like that, this Nicki chick has turned this show into a circus - whether it's real or not. :shake:

sonamae80
10-03-2012, 10:34 AM
And just like that, this Nicki chick has turned this show into a circus - whether it's real or not. :shake:

I wondered how long it would take! :shake: Hate it happened in my home state! I don't think Nicki is a good fit at all! I was having a hard time swallowing Mariah, but was she is a much better fit than Nicki! Maybe they'll get rid of her!? Wishful thinking!

PirateLover
10-03-2012, 10:44 AM
This is what they think will bring in the ratings? If the reports are true and Mariah really did not want Nicki on, then I'm not sure why they strong armed her. And if Nicki couldn't tone it down and keep her attitude in check she shouldn't have accepted. Look, Mariah Carey has ALWAYS been a "DIVA." Nicki thinks she's a Diva but she comes off more like a psychopath to me. Why would they want this volatile combo? On X-Factor, they have two women who are popular but nice and actually get along with each other. If they wanted another female, they should've picked someone Mariah could get along with. Instead they go for the catfight. I'm so tired of this.

TinkerbellT421
10-03-2012, 11:50 AM

What did I miss??? :confused:

CMCTxMom
10-03-2012, 12:05 PM
What do y'all think - is this the last season? I hope so. I've tried to watch the last few seasons but don't make it much past the audition episodes. I can't stand Mariah Carey or the other chick, so I'm "out" for sure.

Melanie
10-03-2012, 12:07 PM
What did I miss??? :confused:

Check out People or Us.com.

AgentC
10-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Ugh. Just watched the video. I really don't understand what Nicki brings to the show at all. I'll probably watch the first episode to see what Mariah brings but that is about it.

We have been enjoying The X Factor and The Voice much more, though The Voice gets boring after the audition rounds. The best part on The Voice is the mentors and their interactions with each other. Who needs a judge screaming at another judge?

MNNHFLTX
10-03-2012, 02:29 PM
What a joke this show is turning into. All I can say is poor Keith Urban. I'm sure he wants out, like--yesterday.

Melanie
10-03-2012, 02:31 PM
What a joke this show is turning into. All I can say is poor Keith Urban. I'm sure he wants out, like--yesterday.

He left the Australian version of The Voice for this too!

From what I could tell from the blurry video I saw of this incident, he looked like he'd rather have been anywhere but between these screeching women. :shake:

Joannelet
10-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Randy is probably asking himself why ddn't he leave before this turned for the worst!? Good luck with this season. I will not be watching. So irritating and immature.

TinkerbellT421
10-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Wow, wow, wow. That little video literally made me shake my head. That is the tenth X under my column of dislikes for Minaj and 0 under likes.

Melanie
05-31-2013, 07:59 AM
E! News claims Jennifer Hudson has signed on as a judge for next season.

And now this show has solidified that I will NEVER watch again. LOL! I'm just happy she won't be invading yet another show I like.

The same article states that other Idol alums (Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken or Adam Lambert) will fill out the judging panel.

TinkerbellT421
05-31-2013, 08:36 AM
They are running out of ideas. I think it's well past the time of pulling the plug on this show.

SBETigg
05-31-2013, 09:07 AM
E! News claims Jennifer Hudson has signed on as a judge for next season.

And now this show has solidified that I will NEVER watch again. LOL! I'm just happy she won't be invading yet another show I like.

The same article states that other Idol alums (Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken or Adam Lambert) will fill out the judging panel.

I like the idea of having successful past contestants judge, but I'm with you on Jennifer Hudson. Her abrasive personality had a lot to do with her getting the boot early despite her enormous talent, so... let's bring her back to judge? No thanks.

PirateLover
05-31-2013, 03:54 PM
Ha ha... I was going to post this but then I remembered I'm the only one on Intercot who likes her LOL. I'll wait and see who the rest of the judges are but I might give it another whirl. This is their last ditch effort. Everyone is gone except Seacrest. I kind of feel bad for Keith Urban. From what I heard he was a decent judge, and he wanted to stay, but the are doing a total reboot.

BriarRose0708
06-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Ha ha... I was going to post this but then I remembered I'm the only one on Intercot who likes her LOL. I'll wait and see who the rest of the judges are but I might give it another whirl. This is their last ditch effort. Everyone is gone except Seacrest. I kind of feel bad for Keith Urban. From what I heard he was a decent judge, and he wanted to stay, but the are doing a total reboot.

You're not alone Maryanne, I like her too (but as a performer than actor). I haven't watched in such a long time that even the alums as judges isn't enough to get me back as a viewer or fan. A personal friend co-hosts a podcast with a former host of American Idol who left after season 1. The reasons why he left and the way he reports he was treated (and the way contestants were treated) are so horrible that it's turned me off of AI, the X Factor, and even So You Think You Can Dance (which kills me because I LOVE that show!).

MNNHFLTX
06-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Please, in the name of all that is good and right (which AI is not anymore)--let this show die. It's gasped it's last breath. :shake:

Tekneek
06-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Did anybody else say it? I've never really watched the show, but sounds like it has jumped the shark.

PirateLover
06-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Did anybody else say it? I've never really watched the show, but sounds like it has jumped the shark.

Honestly I think it jumped the shark a long time ago, the first season they messed with the judging panel. There were still some good contestants after that but it made it clear that the show was all about the judges, not really the contestants.

Also, Few of the winners have achieved great success.
Kelly Clarkson, the original winner, is probably the biggest of all, followed closely by Carrie Underwood.
Scotty McCreery is a pretty big country star but he hasn't had crossover success like Carrie.
Last season's winner Phillip Phillips has had 2 hit songs but I don't see him having staying power.

Jordan Sparks has had some success, but she never turned into a super star.

Ruben Studdard, Fantasia, Taylor Hicks, Kris Allen, David Cook, and Lee Dewyze all failed to really catch on with the general public.

This is the first season that I didn't watch a single episode, though I did catch some clips of performances from time to time. I had zero interest in supporting a show that would cast Nicki Minaj as a judge and encourage cat fights between her and Mariah Carey. All in the name of ratings, which they didn't even get. No one was interested.

Melanie
06-04-2013, 12:41 PM
I stopped watching the year Adam Lambert was on. Wasn't that the year they added Kara? I watched some of the year Simon left, because I always liked Simon and wanted to watch his last episodes.

PirateLover
06-04-2013, 01:15 PM
I stopped watching the year Adam Lambert was on. Wasn't that the year they added Kara? I watched some of the year Simon left, because I always liked Simon and wanted to watch his last episodes.
Yes, Kara was added that year (season 8) and it was Paula's last year. It was the first year they had a 4 judge panel. Then they hired Ellen for season 9, which was Simon's last. The next two seasons had Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez with Randy remaining as the only original judge.

Melanie
06-04-2013, 03:37 PM
I completely forgot about Ellen. Ugh. I like Ellen, but not for Idol.

AgentC
06-04-2013, 04:07 PM
The last season I watched was the Steven Tyler / Jennifer Lopez season. I watched the auditions and a few of the first episodes and then never went back.

I think I am tired of most of the "talent" type shows. I do still watch The Voice but I find I even lose interest on that when it gets to the America votes part.