PDA

View Full Version : What you do when you are "homesick"

SandmanGStefani24
07-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Since I usually get "homesick" around now bc I like to visit Feb or so, am doing what I can to get through time until I can visit again. I like to view youtube videos (as conflicted as I am about it), listen to live365 audio, and look at old pix to remind myself that I actually WAS there.

So how about you? What do you do when you miss WDW?

disneymom15
07-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Intercot, Intercot, Intercot!

MushuGrl
07-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Mainly Intercot, and I'll listen to Live365 at work. (I don't do it alot if I don't have a trip planned just because it makes me sad.)

I'll also Youtube videos. Someone had the suggestions once of watching them in the order you would do them at the parks. May do that this weekend!

My older sister and I (who is my Disney buddy) also like to get online and look at the menus.

Mousemates
07-09-2012, 09:53 AM
intercot

occasional streaming of theme park music

waymickey
07-09-2012, 10:01 AM
I go through old photo albums and I like to do a walk through of my favorite things in the "world" in my mind. My DD and I will "walk" down main street and into the lands saying out loud where we are and what we see.
We also will play a game that we try to name everyplace in WDW where you can find a certain character. Not just the character itself but paintings, sculptures, topiaries, name written out, decorations. It can be challenging trying to get just one more then she can remember. Resorts count too.

Darbylew
07-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Dream about my next visit to WDW which will be in October. I listen to my Disney music or
go on Disney website and look at the parks.
Can't wait to get back in the land of Mickey and the Magic. :mickey::D

Wolf
07-09-2012, 10:25 AM
The IT :thedolls:'s at my work have seen fit to block Live365 which breaks my heart..I get on Intercot and another trip planning site I use :mickey: Ontop of that I watch alot of YouTube videos of rides. Last night we were flipping through our old albums, I cannot wait!! 81 days!!

Tinkerbella16
07-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Browse Intercot of course, and watch youtube videos. They really help and get me all excited for my upcoming trip. :mickey:

DVC2004
07-09-2012, 12:08 PM
I like to go through my pictures and videos, youtube, and the trip planning DVD (though I haven't ordered one in a while). I have a sealed storgae box under my bed that has the hard photos (not digital) from some of our first trips when the kids were little and before we had the digital camera. Also in there are the ride photos and character breakfast photos you could buy. Fun!

indytraveler
07-09-2012, 02:17 PM
intercot, then look at old pictures. Then back on intercot, then watch new fantasyland videos on youtube. Then back on intercot.

figgie
07-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I jump in the car and drive over so I can take an afternoon walk! That's the best part of living here....

kbean
07-09-2012, 03:28 PM
What Figgie said!!!

mechanic
07-09-2012, 03:38 PM
I think that's cheating. But then again only 9 years until I can retire and do the same thing.

darthmacho
07-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Here's what I do:

Plan the next trip
Visit Intercot Boards
Youtube videos
WDW podcasts
Talk incessantly about WDW with whomever will listen!

:mickey:

TheVBs
07-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I look through all our photo albums, scrapbooks and photobooks from previous trips. Then I plan our next trip in my head. :mickey:

disneykid99
07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
We watch old Disney planning DVD's and travel shows that come on TV. - Kids love to spread a blanket on the floor and have a "picnic" while watching the DVD's. We also get our CD's of the music that is in the parks and listen to those. Thinking about doing those things now :mickey:10 weeks itll our trip :mickey:

azcavalier
07-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Definitely the park music on Live365 and D-Cot. I get one of those going on my iPod, plug it into the sound system in the kitchen and listen to park music in the house while cooking/cleaning/whatever.

Also look at old videos, and read any WDW books I can get my hands on!

Oh, and I hang out here on Intercot WAAAAAAY too much.

disneymomma2010
07-10-2012, 10:41 AM
I jump in the car and drive over so I can take an afternoon walk! That's the best part of living here....

So jealous! :cool:

Thanks to this post I have discovered Live365 and downloaded a few stations on my phone! Like I needed something else to fuel my obsession!

Tigerinvestigator
07-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Mainly Intercot, and I'll listen to Live365 at work. (I don't do it alot if I don't have a trip planned just because it makes me sad.)

I'll also Youtube videos. Someone had the suggestions once of watching them in the order you would do them at the parks. May do that this weekend!

My older sister and I (who is my Disney buddy) also like to get online and look at the menus.

Scoop lets you listen to Live365 at work? So do I but don't tell the Sheriff! :thumbsup:

Arielfan98
07-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I distract myself with friends and family, and yes, I too look up videos from YouTube :unsure:

Dulcee
07-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Lots of youtube videos. Though I rarely watch them. I like to run them in the background and just listen.

PirateLover
07-10-2012, 09:22 PM
We will break out our Magic Kingdom board game and take a trip around the park!

I also love playing music loops in the background of whatever I'm doing. I don't watch YouTube so much because of quality, although there are some really great channels with steady cameras and HD quality video that I've stumbled upon lately, and they are much more enjoyable.

I am constantly here on Intercot, and that definitely helps, too :mickey:

Now Disney has announced they are releasing air fresheners with scents of the Magic Kingdom.(Turkey Leg, Mickey Waffle, Mickey Bar, and Candy Apple) I may need to draw the line there, because that might make me TOO homesick ;)

Pop Centurion
07-10-2012, 09:24 PM
I keep a thumb drive with a bunch of park music in my car & play it when I'm "homesick" which is quit often.
I also watch some of my videos as well as youtube.

Tink#64
07-11-2012, 12:17 AM
When I am missing WDW, as I am now, I go to all the above! Photo Albums, You Tube, I'm currently watching/listening to IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth, My all time favorite! I get my guys to play the Magic Kingdom board game, peruse my many WDW books & finally, plan that next trip! :mickey:

MushuGrl
07-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Scoop lets you listen to Live365 at work? So do I but don't tell the Sheriff! :thumbsup:

Live365? What Live365? I don't hear no Live365! :D

(If I ever go to jail, can I come do filing for you in your office?)

minnie04
07-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Intercot, Intercot, Intercot!

:ditto: I browse through the trip reports and see what everyone did while they were there and start to plan my own vacation. :mickey: I don't really think about going at this time of year so I’m not to "homesick" yet. Around Sept. I get really anxious to go.. :crazy::crazy:

ChipNDale79
07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Intercot, Dtunes, and Subsonic Radio.

Every now and then I'll head over to Allears and read their blogs, the one's done by Jack Spence are pretty good.

EpcotFan182
07-13-2012, 03:41 PM
I listen to park music mainly, I sometimes watch youtube videos if I'm really missing it :mickey:

disneymomma2010
07-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Every now and then I'll head over to Allears and read their blogs, the one's done by Jack Spence are pretty good.

:ditto: Love his blogs!...even though I spend most time on intercot of course :blush:

LudwigVonDrake
07-14-2012, 08:35 AM
I look up Youtube videos (including ones where people video their cars driving under the welcome arch), listen to Disney music and go to sites like this. It tends to work :tink:

Eric87
07-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Here's what I do:

Plan the next trip
Visit Intercot Boards
Youtube videos
WDW podcasts
Talk incessantly about WDW with whomever will listen!

Ditto!! Especially the WDW podcasts. Having news and info presented weekly while driving to work helps me get through the long breaks in between trips!!

Stu29573
07-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I recorded about five hours or so of our last trip on high def video, so now I can pop in my blu ray and take a trip! I also have park ( and general Disney) tunes in the car. My wife thinks Im nuts ( and I guess she has a point) but she is generally ok with it all...:D

emerzmom
07-16-2012, 04:24 PM
I just told my daughter yesterday that I was "homesick" again. I have so much going right now that I doubt I will get a trip in anytime soon...and I have an annual pass...just sitting there...I could walk into MK or EPCOT right now if I were there!...
Reading trip reports and other posts on Intercot is probably my best "homesick" remedy besides planning another trip.
Julie

DonaldDuckUSA
07-16-2012, 07:23 PM
I love this thread.

I do what most of you have mentioned. I read menus, intercot, look at resort pics, try to find vacation blogs of people who have visited recently.

DBF and i have been so busy (10 hour days, six days a week) and work is not going to let up until next year so we probably wont be back for a while. Sometimes before bed I like to pretend we are in disney and we plan our next day. I say something like "we just had our first day and we spent half of it in HS...its spring...and rain is on the forcast...what do we plan?" We come up with all kinds of scenarios. We arent crazy planners, but that activity kind of takes me to another place before sleep afted a long day.

Im not sure he loves the game as much as i do be he is generally a good sport.

MrPeetrie
07-22-2012, 09:35 AM
I am relived to see so many others utilizing the same "therapeutic" measures I use to hold me over until the next trip.

I spend (way too much) time browsing Intercot.
I listen to the Podcasts to actually hear other non-family members talk about Disney with same kind of enthusiasm we have.
I have playlists from each park I listen to regularly.
I listen to online music. (Not sure if I can mention the sites.)
I watch old vacation videos.
I watch YouTube videos.
I watch Disney Planning Videos, even though they're outdated.

Do you think others are as passionate about visiting their favorite non-Disney park the way we all are about returning "home" to Disney? Or do you think this is a unique community?

Venus0880
07-22-2012, 10:22 AM
We will break out our Magic Kingdom board game and take a trip around the park!

I also love playing music loops in the background of whatever I'm doing. I don't watch YouTube so much because of quality, although there are some really great channels with steady cameras and HD quality video that I've stumbled upon lately, and they are much more enjoyable.

I am constantly here on Intercot, and that definitely helps, too :mickey:

Now Disney has announced they are releasing air fresheners with scents of the Magic Kingdom.(Turkey Leg, Mickey Waffle, Mickey Bar, and Candy Apple) I may need to draw the line there, because that might make me TOO homesick ;)

Whoa whoa whoa....... Magic kingdom board game?!!! Please please more info! Where do I get one!

ANG
07-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Plan the bucket list for the next trip.
Look thru old photos.
Buy a piece of Disney merch.

texas211
07-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Whoa whoa whoa....... Magic kingdom board game?!!! Please please more info! Where do I get one!

It seems to have been made about 10 years or so. I saw this post last weekend and bought one on ebay. Great fun, and helps take the edge of the Disney thirst.

We do youtube videos, intercot, watch Disney documentaries and go to the Zoo (watch the lil animated weather movie complete with effects and ride the small train).

BKBrinkman
07-23-2012, 08:30 AM
I know it's another website but I would highly recommend everyone checking out Lou Mongello on WDW Radio.com. He does weekly podcasts and video blogs that are great if you want to really stay in touch with what's going on in WDW on a weekly basis. Lou is great!

Wolf
07-23-2012, 09:34 AM
I love this thread.

I do what most of you have mentioned. I read menus, intercot, look at resort pics, try to find vacation blogs of people who have visited recently.

DBF and i have been so busy (10 hour days, six days a week) and work is not going to let up until next year so we probably wont be back for a while. Sometimes before bed I like to pretend we are in disney and we plan our next day. I say something like "we just had our first day and we spent half of it in HS...its spring...and rain is on the forcast...what do we plan?" We come up with all kinds of scenarios. We arent crazy planners, but that activity kind of takes me to another place before sleep afted a long day.

Im not sure he loves the game as much as i do be he is generally a good sport.

Me and my Mom do that! Usually when one of is is having a bad day we will text the other "Okay so what park are we doing today?" and talk about where we want to go and why lol usually based on weather, and where we would like to eat lunch and stuff. It passes the time and always cheers the sad one of us up.

EJS-Houston
07-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Since I usually get "homesick" around now bc I like to visit Feb or so, am doing what I can to get through time until I can visit again. I like to view youtube videos (as conflicted as I am about it), listen to live365 audio, and look at old pix to remind myself that I actually WAS there.

So how about you? What do you do when you miss WDW?

Besides Intercot, I have a set of DisneyWorld DVDs that I'll take out and play.

stephicakes
07-23-2012, 02:39 PM
I am relived to see so many others utilizing the same "therapeutic" measures I use to hold me over until the next trip.

I spend (way too much) time browsing Intercot. DITTO
I listen to the Podcasts to actually hear other non-family members talk about Disney with same kind of enthusiasm we have. SAME HERE!
I have playlists from each park I listen to regularly. YUP
I listen to online music. (Not sure if I can mention the sites.) CHECK!
I watch old vacation videos. DITTO!
I watch YouTube videos. US TOO
I watch Disney Planning Videos, even though they're outdated. YOU BETCHA!
AND... checking smart phones for wait times for rides :)

Do you think others are as passionate about visiting their favorite non-Disney park the way we all are about returning "home" to Disney? Or do you think this is a unique community? We are definitely unique... and I love it! :cloud9:

MrPeetrie
07-23-2012, 07:53 PM
stephicakes, we use our smart phone to check wait times, too.

We play a game where my DW and DD9 will each try to guess without going over the wait times of each ride. They alternate on who guesses first. It's a fun way to pass the time.

stephicakes
07-24-2012, 07:52 AM
stephicakes, we use our smart phone to check wait times, too.

We play a game where my DW and DD9 will each try to guess without going over the wait times of each ride. They alternate on who guesses first. It's a fun way to pass the time.

Nice! :thumbsup: I'll have to try that to pass time at the airport!

TinkerbellFan16
07-24-2012, 09:41 AM
I watch Disney movies on DVD, go on intercot, amd I also look at Disney blogs on tumblr.

one in particular is Disneybound.tumblr.com she uses Disney characters, movies, songs, resorts, and just about anything else disney to inspire very cool outfits.

When I am really homesick I like to go through my closet and see if I have any clothes that can be made into a disney outfit for my next trip :mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
add another one, was checking rates for my next potential trip when realized planning my next vacation happens a lot more when I miss WDW.

Sidenote, when I booked my rental last trip Avis' website shows you a little video showing MCO, and walks you through the terminals, through counters, parking garages, and out the roads towards I-4 and the toll roads. Very informative and helpful for first time travellers but even more fun for hardcore fans like me who even consider the trip to and from the airport part of the experience/

Pop Centurion
08-05-2012, 03:31 PM
As I mentioned in this thread already, I like to listen to a lot of the BG & attraction music. Well, I just got a hold of the Pre-Illuminations music & it just makes you miss being there that much worse. :sad:

riley1129
08-08-2012, 08:52 AM
Go to the magic kingdom for the entire day.. That always makes me feel better

DisneyDawgette
08-08-2012, 12:08 PM
Conveniently, I work with children and they're never upset when I pick a Disney movie for Friday movie day, or if I throw on some Disney music while they play!

But there's always Intercot! And trip planning! And the Netflix Disney specials! Oooh! So much fun! Only about 2.5 months left for me! :D

johnO
08-08-2012, 02:25 PM
WDW websites, forums, podcasts, online WDW music, YouTube videos, various iPhone apps ad planning for the next trip

BIGDOG
08-08-2012, 02:48 PM
As usual my list is a little off the wall ‘Go figure’

Add extra chlorine to my swimming pool so I can smell it while sitting out on the deck: It reminds me of the smell at the pools and the Water Parks.
Make some grilled Rueben sandwiches’: It reminds me of the Reuben’s at the CBR
Call the Disney reservation number just to put on hold and listen to the music while I wait. Then when a person answers ask any question I can think of just to hear at the end of our conversation: “HAVE A MAGICAL DAY”
Home made Dole Whips and Turkey legs!
Take a shower and dry off with one of the AKL resort towels that found their way into my luggage last trip. ( Yeh right like you’ve never taken any!)
When the above doesn’t work make a pitcher of LONG ISLAND ICE TEA and just try to forget.
This happens on a weekly basis …………….

:marg::marg::marg:

Joannelet
08-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Besides youtubing everything, I also enjoy reading peoples trip reports. My 3 year old also watches our last trip video EVERY day so we enjoy doing that as well. I made him a calendar of pics from that trip too so every morning we look at it and talk about the picture and what we are doing in it.
We watch those free park planning DVDs that you can get through the mail. :)
Make Disney crafts with the family.
One summer we had a Disney day at home! We had games, Disney coloring contest, guess what Disney song was playing, I even set up an It's a small world ride with a little tykes wagon and dolls for my son and niece and nephew while playing the It's a small world music. They had a blast! I also set up a meet and greet area where i had the Disney stuffed animals change and we would pose for pictures with the characters. We ended the day with sparklers which was my version of Disney fireworks!
Another silly and easy idea is to put Disney soap in your bathroom so when you use it you are brought back to your resort! I always take some home with me to do just that!
Go to the library and take out Disney planning books. Plan your next trip!

Septbride2002
08-10-2012, 11:33 AM
I thought of this thread this morning as I used the last of the shampoo and conditioner I brought back from the hotel. When I miss Disney - I use their bath products. That smell is Disney to me for some reason. This next trip I've already decided to buy 2 bottles of the Shower Gel because it will be a while before we go back again.

~Amanda

CU Tiger
08-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Geeky - But, I watch a youtube vid of each ride at a certain park. I watch them in the order I would try to ride them at that park. You get to get a small feel like you are there. Better than nothing!:mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
09-22-2012, 02:46 AM
I thought of this thread this morning as I used the last of the shampoo and conditioner I brought back from the hotel. When I miss Disney - I use their bath products. That smell is Disney to me for some reason. This next trip I've already decided to buy 2 bottles of the Shower Gel because it will be a while before we go back again.

~Amanda

yeah, break out these when the mood strikes me! keep them for when i need them

Lindsey310
09-22-2012, 09:13 AM
I feel your pain. After I get back from WDW, I'm okay, almost like I got my fix lol. :mickey:

Then a few weeks go by, regular life settles back in and I'm yearning to go back again. When I'm there, I have no stress or anxiety about anything. I am completely at ease. I feel so calm and so happy.

I try and you tube videos of rides and watch those. Of course intercot helps too. And I love sorcerer radio, Disney music 24/7!! I talk to DH about when we will be going back, for now, we are thinking October 2013 for food and wine. In the meantime, we are looking forward to going to Grand Cayman in November 2012!! :pixie:

WDWgoofy
09-27-2012, 08:39 AM
I have many remedies for homesickness, but only one cure.

The remedies include visiting this site, listening to music, but most importantly for me is to plan another trip, even if it is uncertain.

RavsRuleDisney!
10-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Three things come to mind that keep us in the 'Mickey Mood' in between trips:

1. My DW occasionally breaks out a recipe from her Disney cookbook and whips up something that brings those yummy WDW tastes and smells right to our kitchen table

2. We play 20 questions having to do with the world....I'm thinking of character, attraction, etc. etc. Come to think of it, we've done this one on our drives down to pass the I95 miles!!

3. We search for hidden Mickeys....you would be AMAZED how many of these :mickey:
you can discover with a little imagination sprinkled in :pixie:

Pepefan
10-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I read trip reports on Intercot. They almost make me feel like I'm there.

Gator
10-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I typically turn on WDW park music from various sites. Then I'll watch the countless hours of footage I've take from previous trips. I love that part.

texas211
10-06-2012, 05:52 PM
We tried doing Six Flags over Texas.. Wow, that just made it worse. B/c Six Flags is a dump compared to mall carnival, much less WDW.

SandmanGStefani24
10-07-2012, 02:58 AM
agreed texas211...not in the same category as far as I am concerned. fun in some ways, but not the same immersion or escape that WDW is.