PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Birthday celebrations as restaurants

CarolS
07-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Well here's the thing.....I was reading on another board about celebrating birthdays at Disney restaurants that are not actually ON the persons birthday and I was surprised by some of the responses.

This year my 3 kids birthdays are all clumped together at the end of June, beginning of July. In lieu of having a birthday party this year we are taking them to Disney in August-they realize the trip is their birthday celebration. I've asked them each who their favorite characters are and made ADR accordingly (CRT, Tusker House, and CP). I'm reeeeally debating whether or not I should put on each of the reservations that we are celebrating their birthdays. When I had called and booked CRT the CM asked me if we were celebrating anything and I said that it was my daughters 10th birthday dinner but not to bother noting it because her birthday is in June, she was really pushing me to add it but I didn't feel right doing so because I am by no means looking for freebies. Now I'm rethinking this whole thing.

So what are your thoughts? And if you celebrated a birthday at any of these restaurants did they do anything to make it special?

Thank you!

Hull-onian
07-08-2012, 04:23 PM
My birthday isn't until September 6. However, it is a birthday celebration one week earlier. They asked me if I would like a birthday cake, at first I said, yes, then she told me it was $22.00. Since there is only three of us, I opted for cupcakes, which, I feel, will be good enough. I'm just happy to be going to Disney, can't wait. You have a good time too, and Happy Birthday to all the kids.:mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
07-08-2012, 05:24 PM
You are going to Disney as a birthday celebration for your daughters - DO Note it on ALL your reservations - DO have them wear birthday buttons!!!

Going to Disney on your birthday is a treat and what fun it is to have random people and many CMs tell you Happy Birthday from Park to Park.

Kairi_7378
07-08-2012, 09:33 PM
If it makes you feel uncomfortable, then I wouldn't note it. At the end of the day, if you don't feel that celebrating the "unbirthday" by noting it on the reservations, you and your family will still know it.

I don't think that it is inappropriate to make the note on the reservation though, since the trip is a triple birthday celebration.

Disney Doll
07-09-2012, 09:33 AM
We generally prefer to keep birthday celebrations low key so we don't normally note them on the ressie, but we did when we celebrated my son's 1st birthday in the Magic Kingdom which kicked off with breakfast at cp. He got a card signed by Pooh and the gang and a cupcake. It made for some cute photos.

This past May we took an extended family trip and celebrated grandpa's birthday with a cake from the Boardwalk bakery in the room. That's more our family's usual style. If you feel uncomfortable with a public celebration because it's not the actual birthday you can always have your own celebration with a cake in the room and some decorations from home.

Mickey'sGirl
07-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Honestly, if you are at that restaurant to celebrate that child's birthday, I would note it on the reservation. To have the restaurant bring him/her a cupcake and wish him/her a Happy Birthday would be a great way to cap off the meal.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-09-2012, 10:04 AM
:ditto: If this is their "birthday meal", then let them enjoy it ... cupcake and all!

Disney has no issue with is, they are well aware that we all can't be there on the exact day of our birthday, so if it is a birthday meal or trip, enjoy it!

Wolf
07-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Thats silly to say thats inappropriate in my opinion!! Note them, your kids shouldn't be penalized because other people want a quiet dinner thats what Disney is about is celebrating happy things, your kids are celebrating their birthdays, note every one of them for their specific meals and let them wear those buttons too! Its so much fun when a character calls you by your name to tell you happy birthday, I did it for my 21st and loved it. Let them have their fun and don't worry about what anyone else thinks, chances are those people who are against it are just bitter anyways. I say go for it! :thumbsup: And happy birthday to your little ones!!

ThanxForNoticin
07-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Don't even hesitate on this one. Disney is a place for celebrations. It's a birthday trip - so go have fun with their birthdays in Disney fashion!

AgentC
07-09-2012, 07:23 PM
I have celebrated several birthdays with my children at Disney World. They have been on their birthday and in the vicinity of their birthday. I would not hesitate to mark it on the reservations.

What you will get will vary by restaurant. At most you will receive a birthday cupcake and they will light it. At some you may receive a signed card (We got this at Akerhaus). At 1900 Park Fare, we got a signed place mat. Some will have cast members (or other guests) sing happy birthday. It is a small thing, but it makes the kids feel really special. For my daughter's 4th birthday, we celebrated for the whole 4 days we were there. She had a blast.

The birthday button is fun too. Cast members do make an effort to call them by name and say happy birthday.

buzznwoodysmom
07-09-2012, 08:03 PM
If you want to celebrate their birthdays then go ahead and note it on your ADRs. The CMs don't make that big of a deal of it anyway.

Your kids may get a cupcake, there may be mickey confetti on your table, they may have happy birthday sung to them, they may get a placemat of some sort, or they may get nothing. It just depends.

One thing to keep in mind is that each child may get something different. If you think your kids will have isses with brother or sister getting something more, or different, than what they get you may want to forgo it. We celebrated my boys' birthdays on the same trip once, and one got ballons and a birthday card in our room on his birthday, the other got nothing. I tried not to make a big deal of it so that DS, 4 at the time, didn't think it was a big deal that his older brother got balloons and he didn't. As a parent, it was a bit heartbreaking, to hear my 4 year old ask why Mickey didn't send him balloons, but such is life........ Just be prepared for that to happen.