PDA

View Full Version : VIP seating for night shows/dining?

CMCTxMom
07-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Are the dining reservations w/ VIP seating for Illuminations/Fantasmic good ideas? I've heard that the Tomorrowland Terrace dessert party doesn't actually offer a good viewing place for Wishes... is that true? It's been seven years since I've been to WDW, so I can't remember...

Strmchsr
07-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I think the dessert party offers a great view. Beats waiting an hour or more for a good spot on Main St. It's not directly in front of the castle, but good enough. The only problem for some people is you have your reserverved table while you eat but then everyone stands up along the rail during the fireworks, which kind of defeats the point of having a reserved table.

As for Fantasmic, the dining package reserved seating is okay, but not great. It's off on the farthest right side of the theater. I wouldn't call it "VIP". More just "reserved." It was great when Fantasmic was only showing 2-3 times a week, but now that it's back to nightly I'd rather just walk in with the regular line.

Illuminations does not have a regular reserved seating event. Those are only special events. If you want "VIP" seating for Illuminations you have to do one of the fireworks cruises, which are nice, but pricey.

Pirate Granny
07-08-2012, 11:11 AM
We ate at the new Mexican restaurant and asked to wait for a table to be able to see Illuminations...wonderful..we've done rose & crown too, but service has always been spotty, and food has gone down hill...I'm not into Mexican food, but the rest of our party said it was good.

Do the dessert buffet all the time, sure beats waiting on main street...hard on my old behind.

buzznwoodysmom
07-08-2012, 11:31 AM
The only reason my family has never done the dessert party is because we don't really like that viewing area. We like to see the fireworks front and center of the castle. To me Wishes isn't just "fireworks". You get the full effect of the "show" if the castle is centered, and for me seeing it any other way just doesn't do it for me.

I've never waited for an hour to view Wishes. There is always room to just walk up minutes before Wishes and still get a center view. We've done this on trips at all different times of the year, including Christmas week, Thanksgiving week, and summer. The CMs try to keep the walkways open till just before Wishes so there is always plenty of gaps here and there that you can literally walk up to last mintue for a great view. We usually end up right around the end of Main Street, in the road between the bakery and Casey's and it's a great view.

Morpheous
07-11-2012, 05:05 AM
The Dessert party offers what I also think is a great view. Ironically before they had the desert party that is where my family and I would steak out a spot to watch Wishes from. Always thought it was a great spot! :thumbsup:

phillydan
07-11-2012, 11:53 AM
I've never waited for an hour to view Wishes. There is always room to just walk up minutes before Wishes and still get a center view. We've done this on trips at all different times of the year, including Christmas week, Thanksgiving week, and summer. The CMs try to keep the walkways open till just before Wishes so there is always plenty of gaps here and there that you can literally walk up to last mintue for a great view. We usually end up right around the end of Main Street, in the road between the bakery and Casey's and it's a great view.

So that was you that stood in front of my kids after we waited patiently in our spot, careful not to step over the tape line and feel the wrath of the CM nazis. Just saying...:D

Seriously, I agree that this is the best spot for viewing and would not like the Terrace.

buzznwoodysmom
07-11-2012, 02:45 PM
So that was you that stood in front of my kids after we waited patiently in our spot, careful not to step over the tape line and feel the wrath of the CM nazis. Just saying...:D

I had a feeling someone would say something along those lines. LOL.

To me the fireworks is totally different than a parade. The CMs try their best not to allow folks to stand for hours blocking the walkway while waiting for Wishes. A few minutes before it starts they do allow people to start to fill in the area, that's exactly what we do, fill in the space the CMs kept open for traffic flow. We would never intentionally block a child's view, and of course this isn't something you could do for parades where guests can line up along the parade path. Totally different things in my book. And like I always tell my kids when they complain they won't be able to see before the fireworks begin "the fireworks will be up in the sky, everyone will be able to see". ;)Wishes is definitely something you don't have to stake out a spot for hours ahead of time, unless of course you want to be right up on the castle, then that's not the best place to view Wishes anyway!

LandFan
07-11-2012, 07:32 PM
I just recently found out that our Undiscovered Future World tour that we are taking at the beginning of October comes with VIP seating to see Illuminations somewhere over by Italy. That is a nice extra bennie!:thumbsup:

j2k
07-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I had a feeling someone would say something along those lines. LOL.

To me the fireworks is totally different than a parade. The CMs try their best not to allow folks to stand for hours blocking the walkway while waiting for Wishes. A few minutes before it starts they do allow people to start to fill in the area, that's exactly what we do, fill in the space the CMs kept open for traffic flow. We would never intentionally block a child's view, and of course this isn't something you could do for parades where guests can line up along the parade path. Totally different things in my book. And like I always tell my kids when they complain they won't be able to see before the fireworks begin "the fireworks will be up in the sky, everyone will be able to see". ;)Wishes is definitely something you don't have to stake out a spot for hours ahead of time, unless of course you want to be right up on the castle, then that's not the best place to view Wishes anyway!

I understand what you're saying and I agree that the fireworks are different because they are in the sky. I just wish the people who do this for the parades would think twice and not ruin the spot that someone may have staked out for an hour or two.

I personally have not been to WDW in 13 years but just saying in general for Mardi Gras parades and other parades it tends to happen and this is a pet peeve of mine. I've been known to ask people to move down the street. Seeing the joy on my child's face is what it's all about. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything is great on our upcoming trip. :thumbsup:

CMCTxMom
07-12-2012, 09:20 AM
I understand what you're saying and I agree that the fireworks are different because they are in the sky. I just wish the people who do this for the parades would think twice and not ruin the spot that someone may have staked out for an hour or two.

See, that's what I hate. I hate the stress of that. Sitting for fill-in-the-blank amount of time and then the frustration when someone who's taller than you and your kids cuts in front and you either have to engage in some level of confrontation and/or end up holding the seven year-old for the 20 minute show. Not cool. And not what I want to do to end my day at one of my favorite places. I was hoping that the Terrace would solve that, but I can't visualize what the view is anymore, and you guys are mostly saying it's not a good view... bummer.

figgie
07-12-2012, 04:55 PM
Well, just speaking for our family here, we have always staked out a spot on the terrace to watch the fireworks, so for us, we love it. Tinker Bell "flies" right over you, a very up close and personal look at the Tink and my crew just love this part of the show!:tink:

Mickey'sIrishPAl
07-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Just a reminder, as a previous poster mentioned that if you do choose to do the Wishes Dessert Party that it does not matter where you are seated table wise, people will be, and are allowed to stand in front of you even if you are right on the railing and want to sit to enjoy the show. I was upset and this caused anxiety for me and my family as we did not know the policy but we are a non-confrontational group and just accepted it as this was the norm. Knowing the policy now, I think I'll just take my chances on Main Street but I don't a bad thing to say about the Dessert Party. We did it and I am glad we did.

Just my 2 cents, but I thought the view from the Terrace was very nice and offered a great view of the show.