PDA

View Full Version : Cabin or resort?

CMCTxMom
07-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Planning a January '13 trip with my family of four (DD-7, DS-4). We're considering getting a cabin @ FW to have more room (can put the kids to bed and not have to be silent while they fall asleep) and to have a full-sized fridge. DS has allergies, so we're needing to be able to store some food/soy milk for him. Mini-fridges never seem reliable, so that worries me. My concern is that it will be TOO camping-y for my liking. We've seen the planning video, though, and DD LOVED the idea of the cabin bunkbeds. And frankly, I like the idea of DD/DS having their own space and not having to share with us or each other. My favorite resort on property is the Beach Club. But the villas are out of the budget for this trip. I'd love to try Contemporary sometime, or back to Beach/Yacht. Pool is not a concern for a Jan. trip.

Anyone been to the cabins and have opinions? Or another idea for us? Thanks.

EtteDMS
07-06-2012, 07:17 PM
:number1: We've stayed at the homes/cabins several times with a family of 5 and found them to be ideal. As you said, you don't need to turn off all the lights just because the kids need to go to bed, the full kitchen is great, plus the deck and outdoor grill, and they are soooo peaceful. Another plus with a family is at the cabins you are never short on towels. There is a cupboard packed full of them in the bathroom, and kept that way each day.

What you'll also like is that you won't need to run out for breakfast. Stock up at Crossroads or another nearby grocery store on your way in, and you'll wake up to a full pot of coffee plus your own breakfast goodies. We also liked coming back from the parks to a full refrigerator. I didn't really cook, but we had plenty on hand for sandwiches and cookouts.

If you plan to have a car you will also enjoy being able to pull right up to your cabin after a full day.

They're a real treat, like having your very own home right in Disneyworld.

AgentC
07-07-2012, 07:05 AM
I have mixed feelings on the cabins. I think it depends a lot on your family and what is important to you.

Pluses

-Separate bedrooms
- Kitchen
-Lots of room
-Parking at the door
-Camping atmosphere
-Outdoor space

Minuses
-No queen bed (main bed is full size)
-Cabins are not in the most convenient park of the campground. May need to rent a golf cart or use the internal bus.
- Golf cart rental rate (I think it is around $47 a day)
-Limited drawers for clothing
-Small bathroom
-Can be buggy

We enjoyed our stay here and would stay again but for my family found a golf cart rental to be essential. We really don't like waiting on the buses. Once I added in the rental price, my total cost was much closer to a deluxe resort so we are more likely to stay there or splurge on a 1 bedroom.