PDA

View Full Version : Park Music

BWayGrl
07-03-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't know if this has been asked before, but I was wondering about the music that plays in the parks. Does Disney hire orchestras to create those songs? Or are they pre-existing pieces that Disney just uses? I know I used to hear this one instrumental song all over - Tomorrowland, Epcot, and my mom even heard it in MGM long ago. I later found out the song is called Behind the Waterfall (can't remember the name of the artist). So I was curious if Disney pays the artist to use this song in the parks.

What about songs like "Listen to the Land" and "Tomorrow's Child"? Anybody know who composed those? Do they work for Disney.

MickeysBestPal
07-03-2012, 12:48 PM
I don't know if this has been asked before, but I was wondering about the music that plays in the parks.

1- Does Disney hire orchestras to create those songs? Or are they pre-existing pieces that Disney just uses?

2- I know I used to hear this one instrumental song all over - Tomorrowland, Epcot, and my mom even heard it in MGM long ago.
I later found out

2b- the song is called Behind the Waterfall (can't remember the name of the artist). So I was curious if Disney pays the artist to use this song in the parks.

3- What about songs like "Listen to the Land" and "Tomorrow's Child"?

4- Anybody know who composed those?

5- Do they work for Disney.

All of that info is available on line, and

1- It's a mix of both, depending on where you are and when you are there.

2- They pay "indirectly" though music publishing and clearance services.

2b- The composer of that song is keyboard artist, David Lanz.

3- They are custom-recorded.

4- Yes. I have the info on many of them.

5- They are contracted ("outsourced") as outside artists, for the most part.

OTOH, some composers, such as the Sherman Brothers (it's a small world, Carousel of Progress, etc.) work (or have worked) for the Disney company as contract composers.

Georgesgirl1
07-03-2012, 09:01 PM
MickeysBestPal answered your question better than I could, but I had a side comment. DH and I were on a non-Disney cruise and heard "Behind The Waterfall" at dinner one night! Made us feel right at home...:mickey:

Main Street Jim
07-03-2012, 11:16 PM
If you search around YouTube and Sounds of Magic, you can find nearly every piece of BGM (background music) from the parks :thumbsup:

ImagiAsh
07-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks for asking this question! I've been wondering the same thing. :mickey:

MrPeetrie
07-05-2012, 10:02 AM
I, too, am addicted to their background music. One of my favorite loops is the pre-set music (circa 2000) for illuminations: Reflections of Earth. I found a site that listed the names of each set. (Quite an eclectic group.) I ended up ordering a CD from Isreal just to get the first song, They Were Dancing Barefoot.