PDA

View Full Version : America’s sheriff Andy Griffith dead at 86

caryrae
07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper

Actor Andy Griffith, who won the hearts of 1960s TV viewers with his role as gentle Sheriff Andy Taylor in “The Andy Griffith Show,” then returned as a 1980s country lawyer in “Matlock,” died Tuesday at 86, according to WITN-TV.

The news was reported to the North Carolina television station by Bill Friday, former president of the University of North Carolina and a Griffith friend.

Griffith began his entertainment career with comic monologues and moved into movies, debuting in 1957’s “A Face in the Crowd” with Patricia Neal. But it was as the widower sheriff Andy Taylor on “The Andy Griffith Show” that he really made his mark. The show, which also starred a young Ron Howard as Griffith’s son Opie, and comedian Don Knotts as bumbling Deputy Barney Fife, ran from 1960-1968. Its setting, in the fictional small-town of Mayberry, became almost as famous as any one episode.

Griffith returned to TV stardom in 1986 as Ben Matlock, a Southern lawyer. That show ran until 1995 and was seized upon by comedians as a punchline for its popularity with older Americans. In one “Simpsons” episode, a highway is renamed the Matlock Expressway so a town mayor can win the elderly vote.

Griffith is survived by wife Cindi and his daughter Dixie. Son Andrew Jr., known as Sam, died in 1996.

cer
07-03-2012, 01:35 PM
:(

Sad news. Andy Griffith is one of my favorites.

Dopey's Girl
07-03-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm so very sad about this. We didn't have cable growing up, so we lived on a TV diet of Andy and Opie, Beaver and Wally and all the other classics from the 50's and 60's.

In fact, every year at Thanksgiving, someone yells out "BREAD!" like when the Darlings came to dinner.

BrowncatP
07-03-2012, 03:23 PM
One of my favorite shows. Never get tired of watching "The Andy Griffith Show." I will miss him. There are so few of the actors from that show left.:sob:

NJGIRL
07-03-2012, 08:57 PM
:(

Melanie
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
I grew up not far at all from the real Mayberry and Mount Pilot, and we always watched Andy in reruns growing up. He was a true NC gem! RIP Andy!

TheVBs
07-04-2012, 09:11 PM
:( This makes me so sad. I loved watching that show with my dad.

Jeff
07-05-2012, 08:08 AM
A "star" who deserved the title, unlike many of the egotistical narcissists making headlines today!

I will whistle in Andy's honor!

TheVBs
07-08-2012, 03:43 PM
The whole series is on Netflix streaming. We've started watching it as a family and it's so fun to see our girls laugh at it. It's bringing back great memories too.

Melanie
07-08-2012, 04:11 PM
A "star" who deserved the title, unlike many of the egotistical narcissists making headlines today!

I will whistle in Andy's honor!

:whistle: :thumbsup:

2Epcot
07-08-2012, 04:55 PM
My best memory of watching his show was when I was in elementary school. We lived right next to the school and were able to go home for lunch. Everyday we watched The Andy Griffith show while we ate.

Decades later when I moved to CA I lived in Hollywood for many years. During that time I went to watch many movie premieres and Walk of Fame ceremonies. The very first ceremony I went to in the year 2000 was when Don Knotts was getting his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. There to congratulate him was the now late John Ritter who worked with him on Three's Company, and of course Andy Griffith. I got several great photos of the event. I'm glad I was able to see three great guys who brought so much entertainment to television.