PDA

View Full Version : Summer Perk - Top of the World at BLT

FiggyFan
07-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I received an email from DVC stating that Top of the World at BLT will be open to all DVC members staying at Disney hotels from July 8 to August 25. No reservations, just first come first served. Also, no parking at CR for those staying at other resorts - Disney transportation only.

How many of you think you might give it a try?

Pirate Granny
07-02-2012, 09:30 PM
We just returned and stayed at BLT the first night of our trip, I really enjoyed and loved the raspberry drink. Didn't watch the fireworks as we hds theme park rooms on the 12 floor. We got there around 10:30 and it was 1/2 full in the lounge, no one was on the deck area.

MarkC
07-03-2012, 04:06 PM
We'll be there in 39 days. While I'd love to check out the view, just curious what kind of free snacks and drinks they have for us. Not to be greedy of course-- just curious for the others in my family.

VWL Mom
07-03-2012, 04:15 PM
We'll be there in 39 days. While I'd love to check out the view, just curious what kind of free snacks and drinks they have for us. Not to be greedy of course-- just curious for the others in my family.

For some reason I didn't get the email but I believe they are just letting you use the lounge. It's not like concierge where they provide free food or drink, they have a full service bar and a small menu but you pay for it.

Aurora
07-03-2012, 05:25 PM
I don't know that I would go up to the lounge again. I thought watching the fireworks was more enjoyable from the 4th/5th floor bridge between BLT and the Contemporary. The Top of the World viewing balcony just felt too far removed from the action for me, and the lounge felt another step removed. I thought it was nice and all; it just wasn't for me.

faline
07-03-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't know that I would go up to the lounge again. I thought watching the fireworks was more enjoyable from the 4th/5th floor bridge between BLT and the Contemporary. The Top of the World viewing balcony just felt too far removed from the action for me, and the lounge felt another step removed. I thought it was nice and all; it just wasn't for me.

I had similar feelings about the Bay Lake Tower lounge. If many feel the same way, it may be why they are trying to get more traffic there. When I stayed at Bay Lake Tower in February of 2011, we visited on our arrival night - it was after the fireworks were over and the place was practially deserted. We visited one other evening - also after fireworksa and again found the place practically deserted.

I think they make a mistake by not providing a Magic Kingdom view from inside the lounge - that would have been far more appealing!

MinnieMommie
07-03-2012, 08:32 PM
I would take advantage of this if I were at WDW this summer. I enjoy the lounge and watching the fireworks from the balcony. Since this area is underutilized it is a smart move on Disney's part to increase exposure in this way. :mickey:

BugeyedMuggy
07-04-2012, 11:42 AM
We are going on July 8th. Hopefully it won't be too crowded.

Plex
07-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Super psyched! Stayed at BLT on our last trip and definitely didn't visit the lounge enough. Staying at VLW in 10 days, totally going to take advantage of this! :mickey:

MinnieMommie
07-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Super psyched! Stayed at BLT on our last trip and definitely didn't visit the lounge enough. Staying at VLW in 10 days, totally going to take advantage of this! :mickey:

Perfect opportunity to take advantage of this! DH and I always make a point of taking the boat to WL when staying at BLT. We love that boat ride and also visiting and taking walks at WL. We have almost 4 months to our next trip. Way to go being there there in 10 days! :mickey:

DVC2004
07-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Interesting. I did not receive this email either.

Mickey'sGirl
07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Maybe only members who have a reservation during the period received the e-mail? We are going in a couple of weeks and DID receive it. Don't know if we will take advantage of it, but it's nice to have the option! :mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
07-08-2012, 05:18 PM
I did receive this email, and I do not have any ressies for BLT. On numerous other sites, folks are debating (with some gusto, mind you :thedolls: ) about the pros & cons of this offer. Numerous BLT owners aren't pleased that the lounge has been opened to all DVC'ers.

I'm happy they're doing this, personally, but I see the concerns of BLT owners.

Obviously the place isn't making enough money in the current model. Methinks they're attempting to generate more fund$.

As to the original question, yes, I'll be visiting the lounge in August with family in tow.

Plex
07-09-2012, 11:11 AM
I did receive this email, and I do not have any ressies for BLT. On numerous other sites, folks are debating (with some gusto, mind you :thedolls: ) about the pros & cons of this offer. Numerous BLT owners aren't pleased that the lounge has been opened to all DVC'ers.

I'm happy they're doing this, personally, but I see the concerns of BLT owners.

Obviously the place isn't making enough money in the current model. Methinks they're attempting to generate more fund$.

Why would the BLT owners have a gripe about this unless they only stay at BLT? It's not like it's open to the whole world, just DVC members. Last I was there it wasn't all that busy, and this was beginning of August during MK fireworks.

I think the general inconvenience of transportation is going to make this something that not too many people actually take advantage of. People at VWL will probably take advantage, and maybe people that happen to be at MK that day. Beyond that... maybe a handful of people?

IMHO BLT owners should be happy that they have an extra revenue stream for the resort to supplement their dues (I think it would anyway?) It didn't really make much sense to me to begin with that it was closed off from all other DVC members.