PDA

View Full Version : California Grill going for lengthy refurb

Jared
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Per the Disney Parks Blog (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/07/california-grill-at-disneys-contemporary-resort-gets-ready-for-a-new-look/), California Grill will close Jan. 6, 2013 and reopen in the late summer of that year.

Discuss.

SBETigg
07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
I love California Grill, and I do think it's time for a refurb. The windows are suffering from condensation issues that mess up the view some nights, for one thing. For another, it is in the Contemporary Resort, so I think that calls for keeping the look fresh and contemporary as a tie-in. The room does suffer from same noise issues, also. So, if they can work out a way to keep it open and highlight those amazing views, but still create some nooks and spaces to absorb some of the sound, that will be awesome. Considering the sushi and detail on fresh local ingredients with an ever-changing menu, I also think keeping an open showplace sort of kitchen would be ideal. I can't wait to see what they do with it, and I hope it remains one of my favorites once they are done.

faline
07-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Personally, I hope they make it a bit more muted. I still remember when Top of the World was my favorite place to be - the lowered lights made the views easy to see. The fairly large lounge area made it possible to drop in for a couple of drinks and depart without dining. This was the spot we would head to on our arrival day (which was often late in the day or in the evening) - loved to sit there and see the lights of the Magic Kingdom while gettin into vacation and relax mode!

When they took out the area that housed the dinner show, it really made the area very noisy which I didn't like.

I do have to say the food is good but the ambience leaves something to be desired - especially since it is so loud - hope they have plans to fix that some!!

DisneyDINK
07-03-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm glad about the makeover. I'm also glad they anounced this more than 6 months out.

Now where am I going to go on my February trip? Narcoosse's? Hmm....

DreamFinder2
07-03-2012, 10:33 AM
This makes me sad. We always begin our visit to WDW with meal at CG on our first evening...magical way to begin the trip. We're heading down in March with friends and wanted them to experience it as well. :confused:

Plan B????

SBETigg
07-03-2012, 11:35 AM
This makes me sad. We always begin our visit to WDW with meal at CG on our first evening...magical way to begin the trip. We're heading down in March with friends and wanted them to experience it as well. :confused:

Plan B????

Narcoossee's or Citricos are good bets in the MK area. Narcoossee's has fireworks views. Citricos does as well, but no viewing area and only a few tables with good views.

ThanxForNoticin
07-03-2012, 12:39 PM
That seems like a very long time for a restaurant refurb - certainly more than a coat of paint and new carpeting. Should be interesting to see what they have in mind.

Jared
07-03-2012, 03:02 PM
That seems like a very long time for a restaurant refurb - certainly more than a coat of paint and new carpeting. Should be interesting to see what they have in mind.
I would expect a total gut and rebuild. The restaurant is definitely looking dated. This is a good thing.

ThanxForNoticin
07-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Gives us an excuse to plan a trip go check out the new and improved CG!!

BelleBeauty
07-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Fantastic! We went to CA Grill in November for the first time and I have to say I wasn't really impressed. I would be willing to go again to check out the refurb.

Kairi_7378
07-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Love the food here but the atmosphere leaves a bit to be desired. Looking forward to the refurb!

I'd agree with Narcoose's as a "Plan B" for your arrival night. Another place near the MK that we've enjoyed is Artists' Point, but you can't see the fireworks from there.

TracyL
07-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Another option if you want to see fireworks with dinner is the new Hacienda de San Angel at the Mexico pavilion at EPCOT.

I personally think the food there is much better than the San Angel Inn, and they can set you up at a table with a view of the lagoon for IllumiNations. Book for 7:30 PM or later.

Jared
07-05-2012, 07:54 PM

Plan B????
In addition to what Sherri said, I'd also recommend considering Artist Point in the Wilderness Lodge.