PDA

View Full Version : Children's menu lacking?

disneynarula
07-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Is it just me or does the children's menu at the TS places lacking? I just finished making all our ADRs and I did not even glance at the children's menu until a few minutes ago. It is practically the same menu at every TS we booked. It looks like there are three versions of the children's menu and they just vary them throughout the resort.

Will they make me a child's size portion of the adult menu? DSs are not hot dog and mac and cheese types.

I am not trying to get more food for the kids, just a meal that reflects the theme of the restaraunt. Doesn't seem like too much to ask.

For example... at Sanaa there is nothing African/Indian on the children's menu. They have Macaroni and Cheese and Cheese Pizza on the menu. I am guessing that it is probably not prepared fresh on the spot like the rest of the food there. If I was the chef I would be embarassed to put that sort of food out in my restaraunt. Everything else is so carefully prepared and plated there.

I get that some kids want something more familiar but there should be some kids choices that reflect the feel of the restaraunt.

We are on the dining plan so we are stuck with the kid's menu.

Strmchsr
07-02-2012, 10:50 AM
They can sometimes work with you a little, but in general, you get the kids menu, period if you're on the DDP. They can't do custom things for every family. This is a huge reason why we forgo the DDP and pay OOP (we also generally find it a little cheaper). My wife is not a huge eater so a lot of times we order something for her and she and my DS6 share off of her plate. Generally TS portions are more than enough for both of them and that allows variety for him. Buffets are the only place we can't do that.

Georgesgirl1
07-02-2012, 01:15 PM
This is yet another reason we do not and will not use the DDP. If we are eating at Sanaa, I want my kids to eat food from that region of the world! We are still at the age that our boys just eat off of our plates, but when they start eating more they will share an adult plate.

disneynarula
07-03-2012, 04:00 AM
This is not an issue with the dining plan. Even if we were not on the dining plan my children should be able to order a decent kids meal.

DS(5) has food allergies and really needs his own meal.

It's an issue with the kid's menu. Why shouldn't the kids menu reflect the adult menu? Why should kids be forced to eat stuff that is mass produced and distributed property wide?

Strmchsr
07-03-2012, 07:46 AM
It's an issue with the kid's menu. Why shouldn't the kids menu reflect the adult menu? Why should kids be forced to eat stuff that is mass produced and distributed property wide?

I don't disagree with you at all! Just saying with the current state of things, this is how I manage it, by not using the DDP and letting my son eat off of our plate. I would be thrilled if they had more variety on the kids menu, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Just the opposite has been the trend.

biodtl
07-03-2012, 07:50 AM
I agree - while I think they should keep the chicken nugget-type entrees, since many kids are picky eaters and that is all that they want, it would be nice to see more "regular" food in child sized portions. My 8-yr old daughter and my son when he was younger are not big volume eaters, but prefer more interesting far than most kids menu selections.

AgentC
07-03-2012, 08:12 AM
I think it is a hard issue when you they are trying to serve so many different people. Menu items are more basic and kept to what appears to be popular for the majority even on the adult menu, you tend to find one beef dish, one chicken etc.

Unfortunately many children are picky. .My son has about 5 items he will regularly eat. When I book for all of us, I have to check the menu to see if it has pasta or pizza for him. If I can't get one of those items, I have to rule it out.

Should they change one of the meals to be more like the rest of the menu? Sure, but then it which one do they choose that makes it worthwhile? At Saana should it be lamb? Shrimp? Tandoori? I have no inside knowledge, but my guess would be Disney assumes if you want something different for children the regular menu is there.

We use the Tables in Wonderland card not the dining plan, so one thing I have done for my daughter (who is not as picky as her brother) is use the appetizer menu in place of the kid's menu. For example at Saana, you can get the Lamb Kabobs for $8.49 or the Spicy Garlic Shrimp for $10. I often order the appetizers myself for a meal to give me more variety. :)

Mickey'sGirl
07-03-2012, 08:40 AM
The kid's menus are horrible ... but that said, at Sanaa, the kids pizza is made on Naan. It was a little bit different than the regular pizzas served elsewhere. You might consider ordering some "authentic" appetizers to share? We do this at most restaurants.

Disney Doll
07-03-2012, 10:09 AM
The kids menus are horrible. That's one of many reasons why we won't ever do the dining plan. We much prefer to order an extra adult meal for our two boys to split. Besides just a general lack of variety most of the kids meals are processed garbage foods that have very little nutritional/taste value. My kids are not used to eating that way and actually prefer real food.

biodtl
07-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Should they change one of the meals to be more like the rest of the menu? Sure, but then it which one do they choose that makes it worthwhile? At Saana should it be lamb? Shrimp? Tandoori? I have no inside knowledge, but my guess would be Disney assumes if you want something different for children the regular menu is there.
I don't think it would be hard for them to do this, though. They have the ingredients, the recipes, etc for the adults entrees - they just need to make smaller portions. I realize that for some entrees (like a filet, for instance), it is harder to cut them down to a smaller size, but for many items (such as things made up of smaller items like pasta/noodles, shrimp, any meat that is served as cutlets/bites/tips), it is just a matter of serving less and shouldn't be hard.

AgentC
07-03-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't think it would be hard for them to do this, though. They have the ingredients, the recipes, etc for the adults entrees - they just need to make smaller portions. I realize that for some entrees (like a filet, for instance), it is harder to cut them down to a smaller size, but for many items (such as things made up of smaller items like pasta/noodles, shrimp, any meat that is served as cutlets/bites/tips), it is just a matter of serving less and shouldn't be hard.

Oh, I agree, but it just doesn't seem to be something prevalent in a lot of restaurants that cater to a mass audience. I think since most restaurants serve portions that are more than the average adult should even consume, it would be nice if you could order a 1/2 portion of anything but most places don't offer that. Not sure why that is. :confused:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Tt would be nice if you could order a 1/2 portion of anything but most places don't offer that. Not sure why that is. :confused:

One of my favourite places near home does that for their kids menu - tell them what you want from the adult menu, and they make a 1/2 portion for kids.

This is tough for Disney ... so many kids are picky, or just haven't tried a lot and they want to make sure they have something to eat ... but so many of us have kids that eat way more than traditional kids food!

darthmacho
07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
WDW should put more options on their kids menus that reflect the adult menu. They don't need to mirror it exactly, that wouldn't work, but they could have one or two items in each.

Yes, kids are picky. Yes, WDW has to think about the bottom line...but, I'm taking my family for a 14 day trip and we have the DDP. The kids menus are not only limited, but the food is generally poor as far as nutrition goes. My little one will be stuck eating chicken nuggets, pizza, and mac n cheese for 14 days straight? That's not too healthy, considering she'll be eating the same stuff at QS and getting two desserts per day, plus snacks. That leaves a lot of juggling up to me, trying to make sure she gets some healthier options and doesn't gain 10 pounds. Then again, that's what parents are for, I suppose. :mickey:

disneynarula
07-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Besides just a general lack of variety most of the kids meals are processed garbage foods that have very little nutritional/taste value. My kids are not used to eating that way and actually prefer real food.

My point exactly.If it is the same five things on every menu on property my best guess would be that the food is prepared and then frozen and reheated.

I am going to have a hard time of it but I am going to insist they make the kids something fresh and healthy. We are paying enough for this trip and the dining plan that my kids can have a healthy dinner.

Strmchsr
07-04-2012, 04:42 PM
We are paying enough for this trip and the dining plan that my kids can have a healthy dinner.

Good luck! I really hope that works out for you. Don't expect too much, though. They'll probably offer to substitute fruit for fries or something similar, but the rest really isn't up for debate since you make the choice to take the DDP and know up front what you're getting.

The other option is to pick a lot of buffets where you get a lot more choice for your child.

Gator
07-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I always do the DDP, and so we include several buffets so that the kids will have more choice. And do you know what they get? Chicken bites and spaghetti! Sure, they may toss in a nice roll or maybe some seasoned green beans. But for the most part, they like to eat traditionaly plain kids fare.

If you want them to eat something kinda different, try the diners at Epcot World Showcase. They seem to have better foods there than most, although still not as diverse as the adult menu. But I don't think kids in general want to eat Kjotkake or Duck Breast a'la Orange.

You ought to try some of the Italian places like Mama's Melrose and Tony's Townsquare. The kid's menus have some nice Italian stuff listed.

TheVBs
07-04-2012, 08:47 PM
I agree! It would be great to see some better kids menu choices. I love the idea of having the option to get a 1/2 portion of a regular menu item, or swapping out the kids meal for an appetizer. I don't think it would be asking much to do that for people on the DDP. We only get it if it's free. And even then, we'll just pay out of pocket to get the girls what they'd like, especially a healthier option.

disneynarula
07-05-2012, 09:35 AM
This is my new quest! I think it is so important to expose kids to different food.

sherriepaul
07-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Overall I agree with what everyone has posted thus far. It was quite disappointing that the kids menus for most of the TS restaurants were very similar. The kids didn't care, but the parents do! :unsure: We were on the deluxe dining plan, so that allowed for me to switch apps or sides with my son or daughter. Or since I have twins get one the fruit one fries, and then split the sides. I would of loved to have seen their 3 choices for meals and then 1 or 2 options that were similar to the adults, or reflecting the restaurant where we were at.

For all their restaurants and their variety Disney should be disappointed in their children's menus!

Dulcee
07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
There are exceptions to this..
Kouzzina offers a grilled fish with a whole grain pilaf and veggies with a yogurt parfait on their kids menu

The Wave offers a baked chicken strip or a kid sized filet and a celery and carrot stick appetizer

Raglan Road offers a children's shepherds pie

The signature restaurants almost all offer a nicer option

For example at Artist Point on the kids menu is salmon with mashed potatoes and vegetable

Narcoosee's has a sirloin steak or baked fish option.

Citrico's has a pork tenderloin with potato-carrot mash on theirs.

If you look ahead you can find great TS restaurants with nicer kid options, just need to poke around and see who offers them!

Hammer
07-05-2012, 12:39 PM
There are exceptions to this..
Kouzzina offers a grilled fish with a whole grain pilaf and veggies with a yogurt parfait on their kids menu

The Wave offers a baked chicken strip or a kid sized filet and a celery and carrot stick appetizer

Raglan Road offers a children's shepherds pie

The signature restaurants almost all offer a nicer option

For example at Artist Point on the kids menu is salmon with mashed potatoes and vegetable

Narcoosee's has a sirloin steak or baked fish option.

Citrico's has a pork tenderloin with potato-carrot mash on theirs.

If you look ahead you can find great TS restaurants with nicer kid options, just need to poke around and see who offers them!

I agree with this statement. There are WDW restaurants which have at least one unique item, but only some of them offer it. I beleive it depends on the chef at that restaurant. Your ADR choices (from your other thread):

Sci Fi Instead of Fantasmic dinner package. For our boys this is a must every trip. I am not crazy about the food but it is the only place the boys ask to go. We are hoping to grab dinner here and then get in line for Fantasmic.

Boma A must do every trip! DHs favorite.

Sanaa A family favorite. Late lunch on our Animal Kingdom day.

San Angel Inn Giving this another try.

Whispering Canyon Cafe New place. Hope we like it. Fun dinner after a day at the MK

Via Napoli Lunch on our Epcot day

Captain's Grill and then some fun at Hollywood Studios

It is very disappointing that Sanaa offers such boring choices. The chef could do so much! I feel the same way about the kid's menu at Marrakesh. There is hope for some of your other restaurants-

Boma- great place, lot's of new foods for kids to try!

San Angel Inn offers both Chicken and beef tacos on the childrens' menu

Via Napoli offers a ham and cheese calzone (I love calzones)

Whispering Canyon used to offer a kids size version of the skillet (not sure if they still do though)

Captain's Grill offers a baked fish option. Not exciting, but better than chicken strips.

TheVBs
07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
I just remembered that Coral Reef has a salmon option on the kids menu. Our oldest got it on the last trip and really liked it.

Kenny1113
07-06-2012, 07:17 AM
I agree! My kids are not chicken nugget/strip, pizza, preservative filled mac and cheese, or french fry eaters either. We do not do the DDP so we are not forced to eat off of the kids menu, but DS8 is not a big kid, and not a big eater, so it's becomes a challenge. DS11 will order off of the adult menu though.