PDA

View Full Version : Just need to vent ... family/friends/souvenirs

j2k
07-01-2012, 02:51 AM
I will apologize in advance -- this might get a bit long.

In about a month my DH, DD5, and myself are heading to DW! My DH and DD have never been. I went twice, last time was 13 years ago. My DH and I have not taken a real vacation since before my DD was born. We have taken a few short "staycation" type trips and visited places local to our area. Most of our friends and family members haven't traveled much either in recent years. Last summer we decided to save money to go on a vacation this year (hadn't chosen a destination yet) and decided in March of this year that we'd beable to go to DW.

Most of our close friends and family members haven't been to DW and have talked in general conversation about taking the kids to DW one day. Since booking this trip when we mention to most of our friends and family members that we're going to DisneyWorld we mostly get comments like "Oh, I wish we could go but it's tough right now." ... "It's going to be so hot, you'll be miserable." ... "We talked to someone who said we should wait until our kids are older because they won't remember... 5 is too young." ... and one person actually said "I'm so jealous... don't tell my kids because they've been asking me to go."
Very few people have had positive, nice things to say. It started to make me feel guilty. I shouldn't have to feel guilty about this. I have stopped mentioning it to people and only mention it briefly if someone asks about it (rare).

I started making a list today of who we want to buy souvenirs for and I'm second guessing most of the people on my list because I don't know if they'd truly appreciate it. I'm thinking we might not get souvenirs for others. I feel like it doesn't matter whether I do or not because many of these people will have opinions either way.

I just needed to vent. I don't know if any of this makes sense, I had so many thoughts in my head.

Thanks to everyone here on these boards for listening to me!!!

:mickey:

gerald72
07-01-2012, 05:11 AM
They won't appreciate the souvenirs. You'll just get more of the snide remarks.
They want to go, and are jealous that you are going. So they are going to put down your trip to convince themselves that they don't want to go.
Spend the extra money on yourself!

Dulcee
07-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Buy your daughter an extra big Mickey to bring home and forget about them. At 5 she may not remember it all but its an amazingly magical time to bring a child, everything is so real to them at that age. And you and your DH will certainly remember it!

You saved up for a trip as a family, there is no shame or guilt in that. Come talk here about how excited you are! I promise, we'll share the enthusiasm.

wilcat
07-01-2012, 08:33 AM
I would just spend the extra dollars on your daughter. Your friends / family won't appreciate your gesture anyway. If we do get something it is likely just a magnet to put on their fridge, something very inexpensive. As far as her remembering, we took our Niece and Nephew when they were four and they remember everything about the trip and they are now 14. The three of you should just go and enjoy your special time together.

1DisneyNut
07-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Whoever said your daughter won't remember it, doesn't have a clue. My first memory in life is the Haunted Mansion when the doom buggy turned around to face the mirrors and the ghost was sitting between myself and my mom. Scared me half to death. At first I opened my mouth wide and sucked air (the thing you do when scared witless) and then I screamed and wanted out of there.....I had just turned 3 years old. Because of that, the Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite rides and I hope to get that ghost each time I ride (yes I still remember which ghost it was).

So when someone tells me their kids are too young to go, I call bs and tell them my story. Our kids were going before their first birthday. The look in a little 2 year old's eyes when they see the glory of WDW is worth the cost by itself to me.....it is priceless. They may not remember it but they sure do enjoy it while they are there.

As for buying souvenirs for friends, we have never done it and to be honest with you the few times friends have brought us souvenirs from their trips I found it sort of odd and awkward. I really don't want a souvenir from a place I didn't visit myself. I would also venture to say that a lot of your friends are jealous that you are going in the first place and will take it as you just rubbing it in their face if you bring them souvenirs. Spend the money on your child/children instead or go experience one of the nicer restaurants or character diners.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
07-01-2012, 09:25 AM
themost I have ever bought for suvenirs other than us going is for my team at work. I get a pack of 6 pens of different characters, and they each get one. And they actually use it. I wouldnt bother spending more than that, and I wouldnt give anyone with a snide remark anything other than the comment about how wonderful our trip was. And a 5 year old WILL remember. Our kids have been going since before our oldest was 3. She is 8 now and remembers specific things of each trip

Disney Hungarian
07-01-2012, 09:45 AM
This is how I handle the awkward souvenir situation:
When I tell anyone that I am going back to WDW, I ask if they would like for me to bring them anything back. Typical response is "no", or "please bring me a rice crispy Mickey." I do get the occaisional "send me a picture of a dole whip" which is hard to do since I don't eat sweets and mom can't eat sweets. I do get strange looks when I ask to photograph a strangers dole whip.

Katzateer
07-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Both of my daughters started going to WDW at about 18 months old and they DO remember trips from younger years.

For souvenirs, my daughters friends were THRILLED with little soaps and shampoo we would bring back from the hotel room. Thought they were so cool! We would pick up little snacks ( Mickey shaped mints or cookies). And make little gift bags. And sometimes we would get a pack of items like pens and share.

Also, we would bring home maps of the parks and give them to friends so they could plan their future trip. And the kids enjoy looking at the park guides also.

You don't have to spend a lot to bring some fun stuff to share and I would let your daughter get one big item rather than a bunch of little things.

Have FUN and don't let anyone ruin your family time-you will treasure it forever!

brownie
07-01-2012, 10:46 AM
We generally don't buy souvenirs for others on our trips. If we get anything, it's something small. We have bought things for our parents on the trips we went on without the kids, since they were watching them for us. Personally, I really wouldn't worry about making a list of souvenirs to buy for others.

PinKy
07-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Take pictures and you can "relive" your vacation with your daughter all year - she'll remember. I have 3 children: 5 yrs, 3 yrs and the baby and both my 5 yo and my 3 yo have specific memories of Disney and want to know when we're going back! Keep in mind one of the best rides for a child that age is absolutely free and you don't even need a park ticket - the monorail! So do some extra loops! ( the boat rides to/from the resorts and parks are also big with kids! My kids also really enjoyed Dumbo and eating at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe. Have so much fun! Don't worry about your friends!

cer
07-01-2012, 11:15 AM
The only people we have ever purchased gifts for are our family members who have helped us with our house and pets.

A lot of us keep our trip to 'guarded' so to speak to avoid the very comments you are describing. It is just part of protecting the magic. (You are always welcome here to talk all about your trip.)

AND no worries - your child will definitely remember the trip.

mgmnut
07-01-2012, 11:31 AM
The only people we have ever purchased gifts for are our family members who have helped us with our house and pets.

A lot of us keep our trip to 'guarded' so to speak to avoid the very comments you are describing. It is just part of protecting the magic. (You are always welcome here to talk all about your trip.)

AND no worries - your child will definitely remember the trip.

Same here, I usually get something for my father who watches 1 of my dogs and my sister who watches another one, other than that we don't get anything for anyone. We seldon get anything for ourselves for that matter. Maybe a hat or a T-shirt for the kids but that is about the extent of it.

How about just sending a post card. Sometimes I make up hand written address labels ahead of and buy a pack of post cards early in the trip and send them out. It can be a cheap little face rub for those with all the negative comments when they get it and realize you are off on vacation enjoying yourself.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-01-2012, 11:46 AM
I am watching a friends cats for a week (they are not going to DW) and the only thing I asked for were pictures. Really I love to see the beautiful places she goes. I always think someday I will to. You really don't need to get someone else gifts and if you do something small will do. :mickey:

olivegirl
07-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I can tell you that we took our DD for the first time to DW when she was 5 years old. She is now 13! Since then we have been to DW 9 times. She can sooo remember her first time! :mickey: She remembers getting on the Magical Express and crying because she was so excited! Also that first time she walked up Main Street...........again crying with Joy!!! :cloud9: Every year when we travel to DW for a glorious time she recounts all the firsts she had in DW when she was 5 !!! I know for sure she will always have that with her! I would not hesitate for a second on bringing a 5 year old to DW for the first time!!! :thumbsup:

wdwvacationeer
07-01-2012, 12:13 PM
My children definitely remember specific things about trips from when they were really little-things that sometimes I had forgotten about! Plus YOU will have wonderful memories from this trip! Kids grow up soooo fast!

Kairi_7378
07-01-2012, 12:57 PM
I have found that regardless of where I am going on vacation, people have a "better" way to do what I am going to do. (Although it is worse for WDW, it seems.) Everyone vacations a little differently. So I really try hard now to not comment on people's vacations (even their WDW trips) unless they ask me a specific question about the destination.

Do you have a tradition of bringing souveniers home for people from vacation? If not, I'd skip them. If you see something that would be perfect for someone that you exchange birthday/ holiday gifts with, buy the item and save it for the appropriate holiday. That way, you aren't stressed out on vacation about buying things for people.

PS- I remember my first trip to WDW, and I was about 3. My son was 3 on his first trip, and he chatters about it all the time. (Especially the snacks in Epcot.)

DizNee143
07-01-2012, 03:07 PM
I can't stand the people who say the kid will be too young to remember..we went last month and my daughter is only 2 1/2 and you know what she still talks about our trip..granted yes she doesn't remember everything..but she does bring up quite a few different things..just about every day!!
About the whole souvenir thing..I say save your money and spend it on your family instead! Or get something little for everyone..like pen or a rice krispie treat!!
I hope you and your family have a blast!:mickey:

j2k
07-01-2012, 06:36 PM
They won't appreciate the souvenirs. You'll just get more of the snide remarks.
They want to go, and are jealous that you are going. So they are going to put down your trip to convince themselves that they don't want to go.
Spend the extra money on yourself!

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

j2k
07-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Whoever said your daughter won't remember it, doesn't have a clue. My first memory in life is the Haunted Mansion when the doom buggy turned around to face the mirrors and the ghost was sitting between myself and my mom. Scared me half to death. ....... I would also venture to say that a lot of your friends are jealous that you are going in the first place and will take it as you just rubbing it in their face if you bring them souvenirs. Spend the money on your child/children instead or go experience one of the nicer restaurants or character diners.

My first trip was for my 5th birthday and I have a clear memory of the Haunted Mansion and this very situation. I remember that trip. Of course I don't remember everything about it but I remember little things. I know it will be magical and my DD will enjoy it. We'll make lots of memories as a family!!
I also agree that if I do buy souvenirs some people will likely think that I'm rubbing it in. When in fact that won't be the case. After reading all your responses here I think I feel better about throwing the list in the garbage. :mickey:

j2k
07-01-2012, 06:45 PM

I'm learning that this is probably the best policy. Thanks to Intercot and everyone here on the boards for letting me share my excitement and trip and being enthusiastic right along with me!!! :number1:

Now that we're in July, It's official that we'll be at DW next month!!! Just over 30 days until we depart!! :mickey:

j2k
07-01-2012, 06:47 PM
How about just sending a post card. Sometimes I make up hand written address labels ahead of and buy a pack of post cards early in the trip and send them out. It can be a cheap little face rub for those with all the negative comments when they get it and realize you are off on vacation enjoying yourself.

I like this idea. Not necessarily the face rub part, although I'm sure that's the way it will be received. Sending a postcard to let them know I was thinking about them. I'll get started on my labels tonight.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Jealous, jealous. Don't give anyone permission to steal your joy! I've been many times, and heard many of the same boloney comments. Ignore. I worked hard to make my money (teaching 20 years) and it's my business if I spend it on what makes my family and me happy.
I've been retired for a year, keeping my beautiful granddaughter--that experience is a gift. I just paid for a trip w/ my DD entirely by making bows, gift baskets, wreaths, and tutoring. Worked many hours, late nights. Had a ball. Perfectly willing to adapt to staying cheaper and working deals in order to be with my baby girl.
Even if your child wouldn't remember it (which is really reaching, naysayers!), YOU will never forget watching them enjoy the Magic! And sharing the stories and photos with them as they grow is priceless.
"It'll be hot!" There's another one. "Really? I'm so glad you thought of that! Guess what? It'll be hot at home, too!" lol
Have a blast, and bring home souvenirs that make your own little family happy when you see them. Enjoy yourselves! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Wolf
07-02-2012, 11:24 AM
I agree with everyone else, forget everyone else they won't appreciate it. Spend the extra money on yalls happiness and come home feeling happy instead of feeling the need to please people who have already been ugly to you. I hope you guys have an amazing time, its not too hot, its not too expensive and you SHOULD NOT feel bad at all. People love to spread misery when they are in situations they don't want to take responsibility for. I hope yall have the most amazing trip and just go at your own pace, don't worry about what the guide books say, just do things yall feel like when you feel like it. :mickey::cloud9::pixie:

Wolf
07-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Besides on the remembering the trip thing, my first trip I was 15, I don't remember alot of it!!! Noone remembers everything and for sure the first few trips, its so overwhelming!! She will remember the special time with Mommy and Daddy and that will be enough

dizneydeb22
07-02-2012, 01:05 PM
I agree that people are jeolous of you! We're going in Aug. and I'm always envious of people that post they are leaving tomorrow! BUT, I would never be negative about a vacation someone is taking!

As far as remembering, she will have snipets of memories, but YOU will have the memories! Think of all the fun you'll have sharing the memories and pictures with her when she is older!

Have a great time!! Spend the souvenier $$ on a great memory for your daughter!!

WIshing you lots of pixie dust and magic!:pixie:

j2k
07-02-2012, 09:22 PM
I was very surprised by the attitude of some people. One of my longtime childhood friends has barely spoken to me since I told her we're going. We'll be at DW for my birthday. Just a few weeks ago I talked to her and she mentioned my birthday I briefly mentioned that we'd be at DW for my birthday and she started telling me about how she is planning her family's first trip in 2013. She didn't ask anything about my plans for our trip she just told me all that they plan to do and how her coworkers told her about some websites and guidebooks. I mentioned that I could email a few files and links to her and she didn't sound like she wanted it. I did email her the info and haven't heard anything from her since then. I'm learning that it's best to guard my plans and info so I can preserve the magic.
I am looking forward to making the great memories with my family!! My daughter will love it!!!

mickeys_princess_mom
07-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I am looking forward to making the great memories with my family!! My daughter will love it!!!

:high5: Enjoy the Magic! :tink:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
07-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Bring stamps and addresses and send them "Having a GREAT time" postcards.

As for your daughter and remembering - my daughter was 6 when she 1st went and she went again at age 9. She and I just went in June, she's now 17. She has memories from BOTH trips. She vividly remembered our dinner with my folks (her age 6 trip was with MY entire family - 14 of us) at the Garden Grill. She was very disappointed that they had changed the mural in the center. She remembered riding the Carousel with my dad. She remembered getting my dad to almost pukey on the teacups because she wanted to go faster. And these memories had to be from age 6 and not 9 because my parents were murdered in 2003.

So, GO - Have fun, take photos, make a scrapbook with her, and send everyone else postcards. And get her a giant stuffed mickey or minnie.

Georgesgirl1
07-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Sounds like your friends and family are jealous that you saved for something you really wanted to do. Don't let them steal your joy! We often have people say that we must be rich to be able to go to Disney so often. No, we make different choices. We forgo cable TV, expensive electroics and game systems, and we drive really old cars so that we can save money for family vacations. It is a priority for our family, and I refuse to feel guilty about that.

Besides buying something small for family members who are watching our dogs (or kids when we do adult only trips), we don't bother with souvenirs for friends and family. We do sometimes send postcards though.

Mary Chase
07-03-2012, 06:18 PM
I just had to reply - don't apologize for venting at all! I feel like this often as well, feel people are jealous and even some people disapprove of the fact that we go to WDW often. Try not to let it bother you - go to WDW, take lots of pictures, spend the money on your daughter and just have fun! That's what I am going to try to do. Your kids are only young once and you don't get the time back. And in my opinion, 5 is a GREAT age to take her to WDW! Of my trips, I think when we took my oldest when he was 3 1/2 was actually my favorite time. He doesn't remember that trip, but I have wonderful pictures/video and memories. I think 5 is old enough to remember. UGH! I just wish people would keep their negative comments to themselves and let people enjoy their happy times in life and be happy for them. Have a great trip!! :mickey:

Tink#64
07-04-2012, 02:06 AM
It truly annoys me when others feel that it's ok to criticize what someone else does, regardless of what it is, unless it's illegal or immoral!:mad:

That said, when I get negative comments about our many return trips to WDW, I just & say, "It's our Laughin' Place!" :D

I also DO NOT get the notion that anyone, regardless of age remembers everything! That's nonsense! That's why camera's were invented, to capture all those moments! All those pictures we take, vacations, holidays, everyday things, that's the purpose, so we can look back at the photos & remember & relive all those wonderful memories! IMHO, 5 is a fantatic age! Young enough so that it is indeed magical for them! My DS's were 6 & almost 5 for our very first WDW trip (first for myself & DH as well), and my DS's fell in love with the magic of WDW that first trip, as did we, and I'm so happy to say that now at 16 & almost 15, DS's still love WDW & are making sure that we plan to return for our vacation next year! My DS's have grown up with Disney & at first mention of vacation, their immediate response is WDW! :cloud9:

j2k
07-04-2012, 09:14 AM
We often have people say that we must be rich to be able to go to Disney so often. No, we make different choices. We forgo cable TV, expensive electroics and game systems, and we drive really old cars so that we can save money for family vacations. It is a priority for our family, and I refuse to feel guilty about that.

Yes, exactly!! I think part of what adds to this thought in some people is that my husband and I both have new vehicles after driving our older vehicles for 8 and 11 years. We are also planning to build a house soon. Nobody has said we must be rich but I'm sure that's what some people are thinking. We make other choices with our money. While some people we know go shopping every weekend and take their kids to Chuck E Cheese regularly and other things like that we wear our clothes and only buy new things when needed. We also don't take our daughter to Chuck E Cheese and other places like that. We have chosen to save our money. You're so right. It's the perception in other people's minds. My husband and I both work full time and choose how to spend the money we make. We also deserve to spend it on a nice vacation! :mickey:

j2k
07-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I just wish people would keep their negative comments to themselves and let people enjoy their happy times in life and be happy for them. Have a great trip!! :mickey:

I completely agree!! Thanks!!

darthmacho
07-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I have a little different issue. I don't mention my WDW trip to most people because I keep getting:

"You're going to WDW? Oh, you should do this...blah, blah, blah."

and even worse, this:

"You're going to WDW? When are you going? We should meet up!"

No and No!

Back to your point. You should consider it a blessing in disguise. Spend the souvenir money on yourself and your kids. :mickey:

j2k
07-04-2012, 03:02 PM
I have a little different issue. I don't mention my WDW trip to most people because I keep getting:

"You're going to WDW? Oh, you should do this...blah, blah, blah."

and even worse, this:

"You're going to WDW? When are you going? We should meet up!"

No and No!

Back to your point. You should consider it a blessing in disguise. Spend the souvenir money on yourself and your kids. :mickey:

I see you're going in August, so are we. We should meet up!! Ha. Just kidding!!

I actually don't mind the advice too much but that may be because I haven't gotten a whole lot of it.

I also feel the same way you do about meeting up with other people. This longtime friend of mine who's planning a 2013 trip was excited when I initially mentioned we were planning a DW trip. She wanted to know when and hinted that she wanted to bring her daughter. I told her we wanted to go in August and she mentioned that they would have to go later in the year or next year. I think she wanted me to suggest that we'd wait and go when they go. Not exactly what I wanted to do. Besides, we want to go at this time while it's just the 3 of us before the family expands.

TheVBs
07-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Ugh. I'm so sorry you had to deal with all that ugliness! :( I don't know what's wrong with people. I agree with everyone else. You guys will have a wonderful family vacation and you'll all have incredible memories to cherish. Have a magical trip! :mickey:

j2k
07-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Ugh. I'm so sorry you had to deal with all that ugliness! :( I don't know what's wrong with people. I agree with everyone else. You guys will have a wonderful family vacation and you'll all have incredible memories to cherish. Have a magical trip! :mickey:

Thank you!! :mickey:

tinkwest
07-04-2012, 11:00 PM
. . . I started making a list today of who we want to buy souvenirs for and I'm second guessing most of the people on my list because I don't know if they'd truly appreciate it. I'm thinking we might not get souvenirs for others. I feel like it doesn't matter whether I do or not because many of these people will have opinions either way. . . .

We never buy souvenirs for anyone outside of our immediately family (me, DH, kids). We have purchased gifts for people - birthday, Christmas, graduation - if we come across something that fits a particular person. Don't sweat it. Just allow your family the right to enjoy the vacation you chose for yourselves.

azcavalier
07-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Whenever someone comments that we always go to WDW, usually that person has either been and doesn't want to go back (for whatever reason), or has never been and has an aversion to crowds. In either case, my attitude is simply, "Sweet! That's one more person that won't be in line in front of me!"

I think this is my 900th post! Gotta get to 1000 before our trip in November!

minnie04
07-10-2012, 10:31 AM
First of all you don't owe anyone anything. You have been saving for this trip for over a year and you deserve to have the BEST time at DW with your DAUGHTER that isn’t too young to go. You will see things through her eyes that will bring you back to your own childhood and make you a kid again. It’s the most wonderful feeling watching children see Disney when they are small. 5 is perfect they are so innocent to all that’s around them. As for family & (so called) Friends do not let them make you feel guilty for saving your money and making a dream of yours come true for your family. I really hate when people talk down to others about their likes and dislikes... I hope you have a wonderful time (which you will) and really don't spend your hard earned money on people that will just look at what you brought as a "oh gee thanks" gift and not appreciate the time you took to pick it out and the meaning behind it...:mickey:

Take that extra money and use it towards a special treat for your DD. Like BBB boutique in the castle

figgie
07-10-2012, 10:56 AM
I agree with people who say, "That's what pictures are for!" While my kids, who are now adults with their own kids, may not remember every trip we took to WDW, and there were a lot of them, they can sit down and tell stories of every picture in our overflowing scrap books and photo albums. The stories with the most pictures usually are the best remembered! At the same time, each of our three children, will always be able to tell a remembered moment that those of use who were there at the time, didn't remember and are glad to hear about something forgotten.

I was also happy to hear the suggestion that you bring back the pamphlets and park maps that are given out for free! We have always done this as well. I always take extras every day and make up little packets for friends and family that express an interest. We save buying souveniers for their purpose, helping us remember the times we spent together in a great place. The packets I make up are for those who wish to plan their own trips to WDW so they can make their own memories!

Have fun and cover yourselves in Pixie Dust:tink: You earned your trip and you deserve it!

Laughin' place
07-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Folks, it doesnt matter if they remember or not!
Using "their" logic, dont celebrate Christmas or birthdays, take them to the zoo, read to them, hug them them, or tell them you love them until after they are 5 or so, because "they wont remember"....
What utter nonsense. Even if they dont have clear, conscious memories, they will still be delighted IN THE MOMENT. And isnt that more important? And YOU will remember the joy they exprerience, even if they do not.
My boys (19 and 15) are Disney Diehards, bright, fun, intelligent, and many other wonderful things, in part because of their WDW trips since infancy. Each time we went when they were tiny, they made enormous congnitive and developmental leaps -- think of all the stimuli and new experience they take in!
"They wont remember" has two translations --
1) Im too cheap or 2) Im ignorant
Go, and have FUN:soapbox:

j2k
07-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Whenever someone comments that we always go to WDW, usually that person has either been and doesn't want to go back (for whatever reason), or has never been and has an aversion to crowds. In either case, my attitude is simply, "Sweet! That's one more person that won't be in line in front of me!" I think this is my 900th post! Gotta get to 1000 before our trip in November

Great attitude!! I need to remember that next time someone ruins my happy thoughts.

Actually better than that, It was 901 ... Keep going ... you'll get there by November!!!

j2k
07-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Take that extra money and use it towards a special treat for your DD. Like BBB boutique in the castle

That's exactly what we'll be doing!!!:mickey:

j2k
07-10-2012, 11:52 PM
I was also happy to hear the suggestion that you bring back the pamphlets and park maps that are given out for free! We have always done this as well. I always take extras every day and make up little packets for friends and family that express an interest. The packets I make up are for those who wish to plan their own trips to WDW so they can make their own memories!

Have fun and cover yourselves in Pixie Dust:tink: You earned your trip and you deserve it!

Thanks! The packets sounds like a great plan!

j2k
07-10-2012, 11:58 PM
"They wont remember" has two translations --
1) Im too cheap or 2) Im ignorant
Go, and have FUN:soapbox:

:number1:
This is great!! I loved your entire post but this translation definitely made me Laugh Out Loud. :D I was picturing the people I heard this from and I would definitely say both #1 and #2 apply.

Thanks for the laugh!!! :thumbsup:

Tigger's Mom
07-11-2012, 09:43 AM
We took our son for his first visit when he was 20 mos. old. He doesn't remember it, but I will always treasure it and he has the photos. There's nothing like that young innocent face seeing the castle for the first time. When he ran into Pooh's arms at the Crystal Palace, I got tears in my eyes. He asks about that trip and loves to look at the pictures and I think it helped build his love for Disney to what it is today. I say go and enjoy your trip. Forget what others are feeling. I also think these people are jealous of what your family is able to do. Take lots of pictures and buy your daughter an extra souvenir or a trip to the boutique (depending on how much souvenir money you were planning to spend). HAVE FUN!!! YOU DESERVE IT!!!:mickey:

mechanic
07-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Our first trip the boys were 4, 6, 8, and 13. Went at Christmas time. Took lots of flak from family for being away at holidays. But we can only travel Christmas week and first two weeks of July. (Auto worker with company determined vacation schedule). Kids remember much, and are all big Disney fans. Our first trip we got picked for special parade seating right on the bridge! Almost didn't go because we didn't realize how special it was. Been back many times since. Next trip December this year. Would to go with group of family and friends but can never arrange it. My two brother in laws who went hated it. But even now twelve years later we are already anticipating the excitement of driving under the big Disney sign.

j2k
07-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. We'll be driving under that sign in a couple weeks and I can't wait. I've realized that I'm better off not mentioning it to friends and family. If anyone asks about our trip, I keep my replies very short to keep the negative remarks to a minimum. I know my DH, DD and I will have a great time!!! I am only planning on bringing home a souvenir for a friend of mine who always brings my DD something from his travels and also is a big Disney fan!