PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Gratuities ??

Urbss
06-30-2012, 05:34 PM
From what I understand, if there are 6 people or more in your party (at table service restaurants) then they automatically charge an 18% tip to your bill.

Personally, I hate this idea because I feel a tip should be earned and not expected. Plus, when places do this, I usually just pay the percentage that the restaurant charges me, and normally I never tip any lower than 20%, so the server actually loses on this deal.

Anyway, my question is this: We will have 6 people in our party at all of our 8 TS meals. 4 adults and 2 children (8 yr old and a 1 yr old). Does the 1 year old count since he will not be ordering anything to eat?

Thanks,
Tom

Pirate Granny
06-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Yes, the will count the baby in for numbers...it's how many seats even if you hold the baby in your lap.

DizneyRox
06-30-2012, 07:06 PM
There isn't a plate charge for the little one, so the 18% will be applied towards the 5 meals you order, but it will/should be applied automatically. Enjoy the 2% savings. I'm the same way...

Automatic gratuity will pretty much ALWAYS save me money. But I like holding that carrot out in front of the servers to keep them honest.

Yes, the will count the baby in for numbers...it's how many seats even if you hold the baby in your lap.
Better to count heads not seats...

And to reiterate, you really SHOULD get the number correct when getting ADRs. Count heads and tell them that's how many people will be in your party. 4 people and a baby is a largerr table usually than just 4 adults. It's possible (not probable but it really could happen) that you could be turned away if you show up with too many people than your ADR is for.

CanadaLovesDisney
06-30-2012, 07:39 PM
It's not the best policy but imagine being that server that spends tons of time and attention on a table of 6, 8 or 10 and gets stiffed no tip! You or i would never do that but. Believe me i have seen it happen!

PETE FROM NYC
06-30-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't care what anybody says. An automatic gratuity is not a tip but a surcharge, like a tax for people have too many kids.
IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL.

mgmnut
07-01-2012, 02:15 AM
It's not the best policy but imagine being that server that spends tons of time and attention on a table of 6, 8 or 10 and gets stiffed no tip! You or i would never do that but. Believe me i have seen it happen!

oooh Touchy Subject:

Warning Long Winded!!!

I've had it happen to me! Years ago, before my wife and children, I supported myself waiting tables and tending bar. Even as I advanced in my current career I kept a few hours tending bar to make ends meet. I worked for many years in a restaurant that demanded exceptional service, and I believe that is what I always provided, at the tables or behind the bar. It happens more that you would like to think that servers get stiffed on a large party. Someone in the group wants to look like a hot shot and pick up the check, but can't scrape up enough up to give the poor server who fawned all over the table a gratuity. The server still gets taxed based on their sales, and currently the wage for waitstaff, at least in Massachusetts, is 2.63/hr. At the end of the year it wouldn't even cover taxes. Believe me, it's not easy work, especially if you are doing it right!

So, I really don't mind an added gratuity to my check if a larger party, it protects the livelihood of the staff. Although I believe a 1 year old, not ordering off the menu, should not be counted to add a gratuity.

Although the fact that the gratuity is included should not change the level of service provided at all. 18% is obviously still a very substantial gratuity. If you think it does go talk to the manager and let him know why you don't think they deserve it.

I am sure this happens more often in a vacation area too. The budgets been blown, they didn't know it would be so expensive, gotta cut costs somewhere, so stiff the poor schlep in the polyester uniform depicting the appropriate Land or Country they are trying to make you believe you are in . Or, people that made the trip "happen" by not even factoring tipping. There is no force field keeping undesirables out of WDW. (of course not calling anyone on here an undesirable) but often the ones you need to keep honest are the customers.

Here is my example:

Our last trip in July, I am sitting with my wife and 2 kids thoroughly enjoying ourselves for a LATE dinner at Artist Point in Wilderness Lodge, in my eyes we were being provided exceptional service. The people at the table over from us were truly "undesirables". The man had, although what appeared to be nice and new for vacation, a concert shirt on. He also felt it necessary to kick his sandals off under the table. The kid is sitting in a high chair tossing food everywhere, screaming and screeching, and not either parent even seemed to notice, or care. This poor server was all over them asking what he could do for them, the woman loudly complained about her first meal and ordered something else. While they are preparing her food, she is chowing hubbies meal along with him, I guess enough to say it was split. When the new meal comes she immediately, and again loudly, complains and literally starts crying saying she wants the meal comped. Meanwhile the obvious Lynard Skynard fan she is with says nothing but maybe a belch when he was done eating his fillet. When the meal is comped do you think they threw the server a tip? I mean the complaint appeared to be her meal, not service. Probably not! To me this smelled like it was old hat for these two and the type of stuff I had seen too many times before.

Sorry but you can't help but notice this stuff going on around you. Their point is to be loud and conspicuous so they get what they want, so they will quiet down and leave. Meanwhile, we are dressed up trying to enjoy a nice dinner while on vacation and show our kids how to act proper,and respectful in a restaurant and have to listen to that.

I could definately see a table, large or small, dropping cash on the check and hurrying out before it is realized there is no tip.

disneynarula
07-01-2012, 09:17 AM
If the service is terrible discuss it with management.

We have had it taken off at a TS buffet. This is the one and only time we ever did it. We never had our drinks refilled. Our table was full of piles of dirty plates. We did leave a tip but not the 18% that was added. We were a party of six that included an infant. I understand that servers depend on tips for their income but this person did not do any work for our table therefore did not earn a tip.

biodtl
07-02-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm not a huge fan of this policy, but I understand why it is done. That said, I still add to the 18% to get to my usual larger tip, simply because it isn't the server's policy - they have no control over it. And if they provided good service, I will make sure they get the tip they deserve. Now, if they are terrible, I will speak to the manager about it (luckily, I have never had this issue in WDW, but I have have in other restaurants that have the same policy).

homeschool mom
07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
I agree with a previous poster who said paying an automatic gratuity is like being charged for having too many kids. I've never liked it, but it seems the way to go.

We've never had bad service at a restaurant in WDW so we don't mind it so much. Several years ago, I had all 5 kids plus myself and my parents at Pizza Hut for lunch. Our waitress was terrible. Never came to check on us or refill our drinks. When she brought our check, there was an automatic gratuity on there. I went to the manager and had it removed. It's one thing to pay an automatic gratuity (AKA service charge) to a good waiter or waitress, but I won't pay it to a poor one. :mad:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
07-02-2012, 10:28 AM
While they do add 18% for parties of 6 or more, you can ask management to remove the automatic 18% if you feel your service received did not warrant that gratuity level.

I have done that at Disney when at a TS restaurant with my family of 6. Our drinks were never refilled by our assigned waitress, our plates were not cleared by her, and we were not checked on by her either, and our family style dinner was not "replenished" by her. We were eating a late lunch/early dinner, it was not busy (this was Liberty Tree) - we had to flag down another waiter every time because our waitress was far to busy socializing with her parents that were eating there at the same time. She was seated with them 90% of the time we were there. She took our drink orders and made sure the chef visited our table about my allergies. That was ALL she did.

We asked for the manager, removed the auto tip from our bill and made sure that the waiter that stepped up and made sure we had a great meal - well he walked away with a 30% tip because he went above and beyond .

Quadstriker
07-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Auto-grats make perfect sense at a resort like DW that draws in people from all over the world who may not be familiar with US tipping culture (paying the servers with a tip rather than building their pay into the price of the food). Apparently some take being "auto-gratted" as a minor insult, but the minor inconvenience is made up for in my mind by knowing that the staff is not going to get shafted by foreigners unfamiliar with the practice or by stingy jerks.

If the service is poor, speak to the management and they will address the issue and make it right - whatever that entails. They would want to hear about a service problem anyway.

I really don't see why some people make this into such a big deal.

Mickey'sGirl
07-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Auto-grats make perfect sense at a resort like DW that draws in people from all over the world who may not be familiar with US tipping culture (paying the servers with a tip rather than building their pay into the price of the food). Apparently some take being "auto-gratted" as a minor insult, but the minor inconvenience is made up for in my mind by knowing that the staff is not going to get shafted by foreigners unfamiliar with the practice or by stingy jerks.

If the service is poor, speak to the management and they will address the issue and make it right - whatever that entails. They would want to hear about a service problem anyway.

I really don't see why some people make this into such a big deal.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

disneynarula
07-09-2012, 12:52 PM
I don't want any of the waitstaff going home with empty pockets but if it's added automaticaly it's a surcharge and not a gratuity.

By defenition a gratuiy is...

: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service

I think it is okay to put a recommended amount but not to add it in.

Furthermore, if not tipping has been an issue at disney they should add the surcharge to everyone's meal and not just to large parties.

MNNHFLTX
07-09-2012, 01:40 PM
By defenition a gratuiy is...

: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service

I think it is okay to put a recommended amount but not to add it in.

Furthermore, if not tipping has been an issue at disney they should add the surcharge to everyone's meal and not just to large parties.Since the charge can be removed upon request, it is still voluntary. This is pretty much standard practice in the restaurant industry, although the number of people required may vary somewhat.

Personally, I think the tipping system in our country has gotten out-of-control--would love to go to something a bit more reasonable, like what is done in many European countries. But to do that restaurant owners would have to pay servers more for their hourly wage and then would likely pass it on to their customers. Anyway, a topic for a different thread in a different forum!

omearac
07-09-2012, 08:32 PM
I always tip 20% and if I have a coupon or discount I am very deliberate to tip on what the ticket would have been. Just because you have a discount doesn't mean the server should lose the gratuity. If you have a baby - you should absolutely tip. Come on parents - you know how hard it is to clean up after a baby.Your server still has to work just as hard for discounted food or children with inexpensive plates.

I can't imagine ever, ever tipping less than 20% unless the server was completely absent and then I may go down to 10%.

It's arrogant and rude for anyone to say that they would have tipped, but because it was automatically added on to your ticket you suddenly are offended at the audacity of the restaurant.

If you think your server doesn't deserve a tip then you should eat fast food - period. If you can't afford a tip then you should eat fast food - period.

Have you ever tried to work for $3 an hour????? Really??? Get over yourself and tip your server.

P.S. No, I am NOT a server, but I have been one.