PDA

View Full Version : AKL for family of 5

lyle21
06-29-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a December 2013 trip. The idea of a split stay between the AKL and the Poly sound interesting. So I'm looking around, reading room descriptions and then BAM! No standard room at the AKL accommodates 5 people? Am I reading this right? I have to get a suite? Please tell me I'm missing something?

AgentC
06-29-2012, 10:26 PM
The standard rooms only hold 4 plus one child under 3. For 5, I would recommend a one bedroom villa. They have them at Jambo and Kidani. I think there is a also a value 1 bedroom that is less expensive than the standard one bedroom.

We stayed with 3 adults and 2 children at Kidani in April and loved it. It comes with 2 bathrooms (master bath includes a jetted tub), a master bedroom with a king bed, dining area and a kitchen. The living room has a pull out couch and a pull out chair.

:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
06-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Please tell me I'm missing something?

Nope, you aren't missing anything. Both AKL and WL standard rooms only accomodate 4 (+ a child under 3).

I know there are reasons for the room limit at these resorts that I'm not going to go into (fire codes or whatnot). However, it sure would be nice if those bunkbed rooms could have a trundle bed of some sort like POR. Or if the bottom bunk could be a full or queen, with the top being a twin.

Those futton type bunk beds would be great in these rooms. The bottom bunk could serve as extra seating during the day when the futton is up in the "couch" position, Then the room could sleep 5, like most other deluxe resorts, when the futton is open for sleeping.

We are a family of 4, so it doesn't matter to us, but it would be nice for familes of 5 to have the option of a standard room at these two great resorts, like they have at the other deluxe resorts.

greengeen
06-30-2012, 08:29 AM
By the time we could afford deluxe resorts, we had three children over 3, so for *years* we couldn't do AKL or WL. The first year we had a child away at college, we went to WL with 4 of us - it was great! The next year, we bought into AKV, and now we get to stay in 1-bedroom accommodations with up to 5. We consider DVC to be a great deal and cost effective for us.

I too recommend the value 1 bedroom villas at Jambo house, they are less expensive than the standard.

lyle21
06-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info. My youngest will be right on the verge of turning 4 on this next trip so we'll be safe for now. I thought the cut off was 2.

But I was really surprised! A family of 5 isn't THAT rare, is it? The villas is a good idea even though I want nothing to do with kitchen work while on vacation! I stayed at the boardwalk villas a couple of times. I remember they were roomy and came with awesome tubs. I'll look into those because we always miss the animal kingdom and I love the food at the AKL.

lyle21
06-30-2012, 12:31 PM
And another thing. Why do yacht club jr suites only sleep four when they're bigger than a standard? Same for grand flo? A deluxe room is bigger so it sleeps fewer people? Odd.

Now I have to find out the difference between Jambo and Kidiana.

buzznwoodysmom
06-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the info. My youngest will be right on the verge of turning 4 on this next trip so we'll be safe for now. I thought the cut off was 2.

Children UNDER 3 don't count against room occupancy. Your child that is turning 4 will be counted for this trip, so you'll still need a room that sleeps 5.

lyle21
06-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Children UNDER 3 don't count against room occupancy. Your child that is turning 4 will be counted for this trip, so you'll still need a room that sleeps 5.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Thank you. :blush:

Tigerinvestigator
07-02-2012, 03:26 PM
This has always been my biggest complaint with Disney. They make it really hard for a family of five to go to WDW. We usually stay at the Dolphin because it accomodates all five of us and we can still get really good deals on the room. It is amazing I have booked the Dolphin for 7 nights with a $50 resort credit and resort view upgrade for less than the price of the moderate resort standard rooms at the end of this month. You would think building the rooms to accomodate 5 would pay off in the long run from the revenue of an added ticket and dining. Alot of the families I know with 5 people choose to stay offsite rather than book a deluxe or two rooms at Disney.