PDA

View Full Version : No More Debbie Downers: Let's Talk About The Good Stuff!

Buttercup
06-28-2012, 11:40 AM
There's been several conversations going on about certain things Disney is doing "wrong" lately: the changes to queues, to fastpass, to rides and different lands at the parks. And while I think those conversations are valid and have a place for good debate & discussion, I thought I'd start a thread for people to talk about the things they think Disney is doing RIGHT for a change! :mickey::thumbsup:

I'll go first.
I'm loving that they're finally opening up a larger walkway from the bottleneck in Fantasyland to Liberty Square. I love how they're taking time to make sure IASM's show building will be adequately covered by stone and trees so it blends into the landscape. I think this will be a great way to open up that area so there are less strollers bumping into ankles!

NOW YOUR TURN!
:mickey:

SBETigg
06-28-2012, 11:46 AM
In general, I love how Disney is consistently my happy place. There are always things that are changing, sometimes not to my preference, but it still takes me away and makes me forget the real world and I love that. All the details, the music, the parades, the CM costumes, characters, fireworks, transportation, dining and drinks and shopping and resort themes. Happy, happy, happy!

Dulcee
06-28-2012, 12:00 PM
In general, I love how Disney is consistently my happy place. There are always things that are changing, sometimes not to my preference, but it still takes me away and makes me forget the real world and I love that. All the details, the music, the parades, the CM costumes, characters, fireworks, transportation, dining and drinks and shopping and resort themes. Happy, happy, happy!

This. all of it.

I've yet to visit anywhere where I get the same feeling that I get the first time I walk down Main St on a trip.

ThanxForNoticin
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
With the very stressful life we tend to live (and I'm sure most of you are in the same situation), Disney is still the one place I can genuinely relax and enjoy the services they provide.

Ms. Mode
06-28-2012, 12:57 PM

Couldn't say it any better than this! :D

BrerGnat
06-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Sherri nailed it. :thumbsup:

For me, it's the fact that it's the ONE vacation place I can go that I can truly, truly be in "vacation mode."

I don't have to drive. I don't have to overthink things...I know it so well that I feel like I'm home when I'm there, but it's SO much better than my real home. :D I can truly relax and have FUN!

Wolf
06-28-2012, 02:46 PM
I love how Disney is still the only place I can go and relax, not think about any of the junk at home, the stress, the people I have to do for all the time, its just a place me and Moma Wolf can go and do exactly what we want, when we want, eat where we want, eat great food at those places and just really spend some time together which we don't get too often normally.

TinkerbellT421
06-28-2012, 02:58 PM
I agree that Sherri pretty much nailed! :thumbsup:
In addition to everything Sherri said I will add that my favorite thing that Disney does is how they can sync music, lights, fireworks, etc., all in time with each other. It makes my senses go into an overload of happiness to the point where I will admit, I cry everytime I watch Wishes and get goosebumps everytime I watch Illuminations (Sorry Mel! :blush: lol) and no matter how many times I have seen it I will stop and watch the dancing fountain in Epcot every time it is going on when I walk by.

AgentC
06-28-2012, 03:16 PM
. . . I cry everytime I watch Wishes

Wishes gets to me every time too. :cloud9:

I don't think I can say it any better than Sherri.

When we come to Disney, we always have a car, but we almost never leave because we like that feeling of being away from the real world.
For me, Disney is a place where I can believe wishes can come true, magic is real and we can all be pirates or princesses or space rangers or whatever for the day.

AgentC
06-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Oops. Forgot to list anything that they are actually doing right. :blush:

Here are a few more tangible things

The Royal Rooms are wonderful. They add a lot to Port Orleans Riverside.

The resorts have a great variety of activities to keep everyone in the family happy

The fireworks/night time shows are great.

Character interaction (overall) is top notch.

NewDVCowner
06-28-2012, 03:26 PM
I just love the background music that just blends in everywhere. It's so seamless that you don't even notice it's there.

I was staying at the Grand Californian and at night that background music was replaced by crickets chirping. I left my outside door open all night to listen to it. That little thing made me so happy.

ransam
06-28-2012, 03:42 PM
i love how Disney can still treat kids as adults, and makes us adults feel like kids.

i know there have been some people talk about how the service has gone down, i haven't seen it, but maybe true.
but to me, no matter what has changed. over the years We've lost Mr. Toad, Horizions, etc. and they made room for Soarin', test track, Buzz light years ride, and others. the main characters have had to share the spot light w/ pixar characters and new princesses. There of course are some rides that have been there from the beginning like small world, peter pan, etc....but w/ all the changes, and updates, the oe thing that as remained consistent is the customer service. Disney is still the best.
last year after spending 8 days in WDW, we were flying home and dealt w/ some very rude people at SWa. My sister looked at me and said "well, we're not in Disney any longer". couldn't have said it better.

lettripp
06-28-2012, 03:59 PM
To start the positivity I must say how much I love this thread. :mickey: You're absolutely correct in the opinion that there seems to be ever increasing amounts of negativity with regards to Disney, and it is important to be thankful for the good things about this place we all love as often as possible!

I for one love how Disney is an escape from the stresses of reality. From the day we arrive until the day we leave, work emails and drama are less important than our time together. I love that planning a Disney vacation is an exciting experience and distraction from reality in and of itself. I love that when we go in 2013 there will be things to experience we never will have before. I love that each trip we meet CMs who love their job and love to make guests vacations even more memorable.

I look forward to each and every trip to Walt Disney World... they must be doing something right!!! :mickey:

gratuspater
06-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I think it's called Magic, memories, and you. I don't know, but it's the one with all of the pictures cascadeing down the castle. And I don't recall if it has its own fireworks, or if it plays with Wishes, but I LOVE that show!:thumbsup:

dizneydeb22
06-28-2012, 05:02 PM
LOVE, LOVE,LOVE this thread! I love that Disney helps make my special needs son feel like he belongs! There is something for everyone in Disney World! I love that you can travel the "world" in a day! You can have a canoli in Italy and then jaunt over to France for a Grand Marnier slushie! I love that you can travel the Savannahs in Africa and travel back in time with the Dinosaurs, all in a day! I love that if you ask anyone in my family what is one of their favorite Disney moments, the response would be, "Just one!?!?". I could go on and on, but everyone here has such great responses, so add all those on too!

Aurora
06-28-2012, 07:34 PM
I think it's called Magic, memories, and you. I don't know, but it's the one with all of the pictures cascadeing down the castle. And I don't recall if it has its own fireworks, or if it plays with Wishes, but I LOVE that show!:thumbsup:

This show is one of the best additions to the Magic Kingdom, and I will admit I was one of those people, when it was first announced, who went, "Whaaaaa??? Photos projected on the castle? That's a show?"

Now I consider it a "don't miss!"

I also have to say that I'm REALLY happy they built a DVC hotel next to the Magic Kingdom. It's the next best thing to staying inside the MK.

The interactive queues for Winnie the Pooh and Haunted Mansion were hits for us as well. I know some don't like them, but to us, the WTP line is a godsend, and the HM queue is imaginative and fun.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Love this thread, too! I was going to try my first 'multi-quote', but so many of you nailed exactly what I was thinking! :blush:
Disney makes it perfectly OK to be a kid again, lets you 'tour the world' when you might not really get to, makes your heart smile, and brings families together.
I think the Art of Animation is a great idea for a new resort--a tribute to what's behind the origin of the Magic! Can't wait!

EeyoresBestFriend
06-28-2012, 11:12 PM
:thumbsup: LOVE the thread!

I agree ~ too much grumpiness . . .

WDW, for me, is the Magical, Happy place for the eternal child in me who wants to have fun, eat treats all day long and leave being a responsible adult far behind. :cloud9: At least until I get back on the DME bus!!

TheVBs
06-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Love this thread too! :mickey: I'm struggling with the best way to put what I want to say. I guess it would be that each of our WDW trips manages to be as magical or more magical than the last in so many ways. We've been going every other year for over 10 years (taking a two year break so that we can do Yellowstone next year :) and :(). We'll take a trip and come away with the most amazing memories, every time! So, in our eyes what Disney is doing right is delivering the magic for us every single time. :mickey:

ChipNDale79
06-29-2012, 08:51 AM
I love the fact that I can park my car when we check and not have to get back in until we are packing to leave.

Once on property its almost like you've left the real world behind and you can forget anything that's not Disney.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-29-2012, 10:09 AM
I know others had said this but my favorite is no driving. I drive for a living and when I get to my vacation spot that is the last thing I want to do. When I go to DL get a hotel across the street and car stays parked. WDW they pick me up at the airport and take it from there. And I just gotta say I love their bus drivers, after a long day at the parks they are so upbeat. Asking Disney questions, telling jokes and starting sing-a-longs. Its one of my favorite things.:mickey:

Wolf
06-29-2012, 11:24 AM
LOVE, LOVE,LOVE this thread! I love that Disney helps make my special needs son feel like he belongs! !

This is another one of my favorite parts of WDW, I dont have any kids and when I get to see special kids seeing parts of the world for the first time, kids in general just see magic so deep but it seems like the special kids are just so wonderstruck by the beauty it makes my trip when I can see such things! It always makes me so happy just to witness such sweet innocence.

VWL Mom
06-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I love this thread, lots of feel good stuff :mickey:

When we checked in yesterday, my head was a about to explode. As I type this, sitting in my cabana at the Contemporary, the Disney calmness has settled in. That for me is the magic and why it will always be our break from reality :cloud9:

SBETigg
06-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I love this thread, lots of feel good stuff :mickey:

When we checked in yesterday, my head was a about to explode. As I type this, sitting in my cabana at the Contemporary, the Disney calmness has settled in. That for me is the magic and why it will always be our break from reality :cloud9:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Dreaming I am there, too. :)

Terra
06-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Love this thread as well. And I honestly have no real gripes about Disney! I'm very thankful we live just 40 minutes from the magic :) And it's truly my escape from reality. It's like an immediate fix. The moment I enter one of the parks, I'm lost! And the joy and happiness my boys have when we go....priceless!

Mousemates
06-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Faves:

No driving.

The ability to check in and to go into full blown " relaxed vacation mode" without a day or to transition...the stress disappears as soon as I see the purple signs.

Lots of hassle free recreation options.

Above average to excellent customer service.

Ian
06-29-2012, 04:51 PM
I love enjoying the pure joy my children experience going on their favorite rides and having all those uniquely Disney World experiences.

I'm really loving watching my twins discover their love of the rides and the parks, too. I forgot a little bit how great it is when they first start to have their little opinions of rides (they love Small World!) and how they start to get excited and point at things and blabber to each other.

Every time we go I come back and think about what great family together time we had and I wanna go back! :thumbsup:

MrPeetrie
06-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Buttercup, perfect screen name for a perfect topic. I'm glad to read some positive posts.

For me, I cannot accurately describe how much I love coming here with my family. Sometimes, I get overwhelmed with joy, thinking about the next upcoming trip.

My beautiful, wonderful, DD9 has anxiety issues. Sometimes she has difficulty sleeping, because her mind won't give her a break. So, at night, we take "mind vacations." I walk her through a Disney trip, to help her relax.

We usually start with the night before our departure as I describe where we will eat and shop for the trip. I tell her, we'll talk about all the things we hope to see and do. Then I give her details about the airplane trip and the Magical Express journey to our resort. I go through several days -- detailing each day's events -- to help her unwind.

And it's a place where our whole family can enjoy being together...and that's what I love the most. Two years ago, we went to Cedar Point. There was very little my DD or DS could do there. We ended up splitting up, with me and my DD riding the Iron Dragon about 7 times, and my DW and DS in kiddieland (or Camp Snoopy).

It's not like that at Walt Disney World. We ALL can ride POTC and enjoy it. We ALL can ride Mickey's Philharmagic, Peter Pan, TTT, and so many other attractions there are too many to name.

During the summer, I work 7 days a week and get to spend precious few hours with my family. My weekends are always booked solid. (We own a small sealcoating company and the weekends are our busiest times because lots are empty.) At WDW, we get to be with each other 24/7. I don't have to worry about transportation. I can just enjoy my family.

texas211
06-30-2012, 08:12 AM
I think they do a good job of keeping up the atmosphere, so they leave you enough, but wanting more. That's why we all keep coming back. That and the legally addictive treats from Germany.

CanadaLovesDisney
06-30-2012, 07:33 PM
No matter how bad my day is going I can think of Disney or an upcoming trip I have planned there and BAM I feel better. Its truly an experience like no other.

They cater to special needs as best they can and you just don't see that kind of attention at other resorts/vacation destinations.

Also we find the cast members to be a loveable and friendly group! Very helpful!:cloud9:

ANG
06-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Many things I love about WDW.

A big one is the baby centers. Seriously, this have helped me so much. When DS1 was a baby and then when I was pregnant with DS2. Those are so crazy clean every single time we use one. The staff is incredibly friendly.

Terra
06-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Many things I love about WDW.

A big one is the baby centers. Seriously, this have helped me so much. When DS1 was a baby and then when I was pregnant with DS2. Those are so crazy clean every single time we use one. The staff is incredibly friendly.

Oh yes!! I agree. I love those too. The nice cool dimly lit nursing room was a life saver for my [then] nursling and my over stimulated ASD son!

Joannelet
07-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Wow what a great thread! I am trying to gather my thoughts! I have tons of good stuff!
The memories are my first. I am 35 and have been going since I was an infant. I have had trips with my Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles that are no longer with us. I remember so many things about each trip. Those memories that Disney provides are priceless.
Character interactions and magical moments is another one. I still remember Goofy lying down on the sidewalk with my 3 year old sister (I was 5) looking up at the sky. I will never forget a little girls face going up to the Santa at DTD...with all that magic just in her expression. The Give Kids The World children having moments with their favorite characters. It all just warms my heart. My training story as a cast member when Mickey told us how they use every talent and Mickey knew sign language so communicated with a child who could not hear. All these memories choke me up everytime.
The fireworks show make me cry everytime too. The music as you walk through each park. Meeting great cast members that make your day.
All of it!
Now I get to watch it through my own children's eyes. It makes my heart soar just hearing my 3 year old ask daily "can we go right now to animal kingdom lodge?" i find him reading my magazines on Disney. Now I get to relive all those magic moments I had and make new ones for my 2 boys. :)
Plus I thank Walt Disney daily as I found out after lots of struggles that I was pregnant with each of my boys while I was at a Disney park! So my dreams really came true at Disney! Disney will always be near and dear to my heart. :)

MrPeetrie
07-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Joannelet, that's a touching post.

Main Street Jim
07-01-2012, 09:18 AM
My "good feeling" thought?

The fact that Walt's name remains on the property in Florida :)

Too many people have really *forgotten* that "Walt Disney" was, in fact, a real, live, dreaming human being. The man personified "genius". Every time I see something on TV with Walt in it (the man, not the name), I get tears in my eyes.

Watching "Walt Disney: The Man and the Myth", I think it was Marty Sklar who summed it up this way: "Walt was...Walt had one foot in the past. He loved the nostalgia; just look at Main Street, USA. He was also a dreamer for the future. Tomorrowland was hard to keep 'updated', but EPCOT Center was our greatest achievement." Maybe this is why EPCOT is my favorite park; it *was* Walt's dream.

:thumbsup:

SandmanGStefani24
07-01-2012, 02:04 PM
I was really worried about the Star Tours attraction re-tooling after the disaster with changing El Rio Del Tiempo. However they have done an amazing job with it, and I think it is even better than the original. I rode it twice and loved it both times! They hit it out of the park, for sure...:chewy:

MrPeetrie
07-01-2012, 05:10 PM
I was really worried about the Star Tours attraction re-tooling after the disaster with changing El Rio Del Tiempo. However they have done an amazing job with it, and I think it is even better than the original. I rode it twice and loved it both times! They hit it out of the park, for sure...:chewy:

I totally agree with you. On our last trip, that was one of our favorite rides.

Disney-4-Me
07-01-2012, 06:41 PM
It's the only vacation spot where I get treated like a princess each and every time!:cloud9:

disneymomma2010
07-02-2012, 12:18 AM
I agree with so much that has already been said. We just came back from a small trip to myrtle beach and while we were there, and when we go on other trips, we constantly compare. We say things like, see this is why I like disney, we don't have to set around and wonder where are we going to go next, and worry about spending more money doing it. I love that it's all already paid for. Plenty to do, old favorites, and new things to try, and without more money coming out of my pocket. I love that Im familiar with everything but also have new things to experience.

No other place gives me the same goosebumps feeling like disney. Nothing like walking into MK and walking up to the castle and seeing the joy on my kids' faces. Makes me cry every time!

I love the ts dining experiences. Especially free dining! Love free dining promotions!

I love that in some magical way they have made everything where it appeals to both the parents and the kids. The parents aren't miserable having to suffer through their kids favorite things and vice versa.

I love that I can always set down and plan or read about disney and escape to my happy place and memories. It always helps me to unwind from the stresses of the real world.
My "negative" note is that we love disney so much that while we go on other vacations we wish that we were at disney!

darthmacho
07-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Well they have to be doing something right, because I'm taking a 2 week vacation there in August and I'm staying on property with no rental car or intentions on leaving WDW for the entire 14 days. I think that's saying something. :mickey:

Also, WDW does right:

A variety of wonderfully themed and priced places to stay.
A plethora of well-themed, delightfully satisfying, restaurants from which to choose.
The best theme park attractions in the world, imho.
Free transportation to and from their property and within their property.
The only place in the world where I willingly watch a parade and fireworks display.
Memories that last a lifetime.

More Specifically:

Wilderness Lodge
Port Orleans Riverside
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Splash Mountain
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Soarin
RocknRollercoaster
Crystal Palace
San Angel Inn
Sci Fi Dine In Theatre
Yak and Yeti
Artist Point
Whispering Canyon
Boatwright's
The Monorail
The MK Ferry
Area Music
Cast Member Costumes
Cast Members
Chip and Dale
Stitch
Ariel
and of course... Mickey Mouse

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
What they do right:
You can truly escape into the complete immersion of all that is Disney at Walt Disney World.

Those of us that live in a world with limits, be they physical, food allergies, autism spectrums, etc. - they do a very, very good job at making sure that we do not have to worry about these things being a massive issue.

Nothing stays 100% the same all the time. Those that go every year or every other year see the changes from visit to visit and it makes the visits slightly different each time.

Each resort is different, each has its own personality and everyone can find the one that fits them from budget to luxury from quiet and compact to large and loud.

It was a great place for my daughter and I to spend 10 days after she graduated from high school and reconnect before she goes off to college in August. We were able to talk, ride rides, eat great food, laugh, people watch, and just be Mother and Daughter in a relaxed no pressure environment.

ryca1dreams
07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I just love the background music that just blends in everywhere. It's so seamless that you don't even notice it's there.

I was staying at the Grand Californian and at night that background music was replaced by crickets chirping. I left my outside door open all night to listen to it. That little thing made me so happy.

I totally agree. I love visiting other places throughout the world, but at WDW you are totally immersed in the environment of fantasy with the omnipresent but subtle background music.

The only background music that is better is the music of nature in the solitary outdoors. But, that's a different type of vacation.

KatrinaJ91
07-05-2012, 08:15 PM
This is a wonderful thread! I do not like negative threads...I tend to start feeling protective and defending Disney as I read! lol

There are so many things that Disney does right, it is hard to pinpoint just one or two. Disney has the highest quality of customer service that we have ever experienced anywhere. The expectations are high for their employees and it should be like that everywhere!

Updating Fantasyland is definitely a positive as well. I love the old Fantasyland but when I start seeing the changes...I can tell it is going to be amazing when they are done!

Disney is also extremely detail-oriented and I love that! There is nothing like taking time in the parks or at the resorts and just noticing all the amazing little details that make Disney unique. So next time you are there, take time and really look around...you will find some great gems!