PDA

View Full Version : Does Tink still fly?

Dyanna
06-26-2012, 04:42 PM
The last 2 time we were at the MK Tinkerbell has not flown from the castle during the evening festivities. Does she still fly or not any more. Also when she lands where does she end up? Some of us think its on the roof somewhere by the Terrace noodle station.

brad192
06-26-2012, 05:06 PM
When I was on the KTTK tour, someone asked about Tink. Our guide told us that there is a very small window when it comes to wind that she can fly in. I believe the wind must be 5MPH or less. Anything more and it's too dangerous. She lands on a backstage rooftop in Tomorrowland where there are 2 CM's waiting to catch her, as well as a big mattress-like pad she can slam into if they miss. He also mentioned that she's one of the highest paid CM's at WDW, due to the extreme danger of her performance.

BrerGnat
06-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Also, there are only like, 2 Tinkerbells who can fly.

If one is under the weather, and they can't get the other one to come in on time, no flying Tink.

AND, Tinkerbell makes the final call as to whether she flies or not, weather non withstanding. If for any reason, Tink doesn't feel comfortable flying that night, she doesn't.

So, actually a lot of factors come into play with that aspect of the show.

eandrsmom
06-26-2012, 08:01 PM
We saw her fly on our last visit. Before that, we hadn't seen her fly in a couple of years. My 5 year old still says that was her favorite part of the trip.

2Epcot
06-27-2012, 01:53 AM
If you want to see Tink give a real flying lesson, you have to see her at Disneyland in CA.

K8screen
06-27-2012, 03:49 AM
I had heard, though possibly an urban myth, and SPOILER ALERT if not, that Tink was sometimes a man. Anybody put me right?

MickeysBestPal
06-27-2012, 07:23 AM
I had heard, though possibly an urban myth, and SPOILER ALERT if not, that Tink was sometimes a man. Anybody put me right?

TinkerBill. ;)

In my collection of Disney images, I have an infamous and controversial (and very real) close-up photo of the flying fairy on the high wire that shows what appears to be a substantial mustache on Tink's face.

It has always caused a flurry of comments when I've posted it.

BrerGnat
06-27-2012, 08:54 AM
If you want to see Tink give a real flying lesson, you have to see her at Disneyland in CA.

Oh yeah! Tink in CA has taken the "advanced flying course" for sure. :thumbsup:

Is Dumbo flying this summer?

Tygger7
06-27-2012, 09:14 AM
We also did the KTTK tour a couple of years ago and got to go backstage & see the area where she lands. The other posters are right in saying there is a VERY small window for Tink to fly...in addition to the weather, our guide said that Tink gets weighed every night before she flies. He said the weight restrictions were between 103 and 105 pounds. If Tink is even one pound over or under, she doesn't fly. While it's possible that Tink could be a guy, it is pretty unlikely...not too many guys would be in that exact weight range.

minnie04
06-27-2012, 09:23 AM
I would have to agree on the 'weather" being the factor. It has been extremely windy in Florida the last week or two, so I would say No Tink Flying until this tropical storm blows out of here for good.:tink::tink::tink:

disneynarula
06-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Like other posters said it depends on the weather as well as her weight. Since this is the only job she does I would guess she is fairly careful about that. She is probably not hitting the buffet at Boma before her nightly flight.

My roommate when I was on the College Program worked in Fantasyland and got to know Tink fairly well (or so she said)!

biodtl
06-27-2012, 11:15 AM
In my collection of Disney images, I have an infamous and controversial (and very real) close-up photo of the flying fairy on the high wire that shows what appears to be a substantial mustache on Tink's face.
I had heard that there are male flying Tinks, but I am surprised Disney allows facial hair for that position - especially given their commitment to authenticity and their previous facial hair ban.

MickeysBestPal
06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I had heard that there are male flying Tinks, but I am surprised Disney allows facial hair for that position - especially given their commitment to authenticity and their previous facial hair ban.

Check your PM's. ;)

2Epcot
06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Oh yeah! Tink in CA has taken the "advanced flying course" for sure. :thumbsup:

Is Dumbo flying this summer?

Dumbo is flying with Tink. I was going to see it Monday night but ended up staying at DCA to see the new BRAVE segment for World of Color.

Wolf
06-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Does she fly during Wishes or something? I remember we saw her in 03 but had no clue it was anything rare or special, looks like I have another magic thing to be grateful for!!

MickeysBestPal
06-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Does she fly during Wishes ...

Yes.

Dyanna
06-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Would love to see the moustache tink photo. can you pm me :-)

ransam
06-27-2012, 12:27 PM
i guess i've been lucky. everytime i've seen the fireworks at any disney park, i've seen tinkerbell.

I would have to agree w/ a former poster, i doubt tinkerbell would be sporting a beard. I don't think w/ the attention to detail disney has and knowing how hi tech the world has become, they would allow Tinkerbell to have a beard. I may be wrong, but it doesn't sound right. maybe it was shadoes, or something that made it look like a beard

Tinkerbella16
06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
TinkerBill. ;)

It has always caused a flurry of comments when I've posted it.

I would love to see this photo for myself! :mickey:

K8screen
06-27-2012, 01:29 PM
I would love to see it too. Could you pm it to me as well please?

WDWdriver
06-27-2012, 02:53 PM
:spoiler:

Here's some Tinker Bell trivia that you are not likely to hear about during your visit to the parks. The first Tinker Bell began flying at Disneyland in the summer of 1961. Her name was Tiny Kline. Ms Kline was Hungarian born and emigrated to the U.S. as a dancer in 1905. She worked in burlesque and then as an aerialist with the Barnum & Bailey circus. She was a mere four feet ten inches tall and weighed in at 98 pounds. She was hired for the Tinker Bell role because of her small stature and her abilities as a former circus performer. And, believe it or not, she was 71 years of age when she became Tinker Bell. At the end of each flight she was stopped by running into a common mattress. Naturally doing this kind of work every night can make one testy and ill tempered, and she certainly was. Her circus background made her tough, and she could curse like a sailor. No one liked her much, but she was perfect for her pioneer role. Ms Kline retired in and passed away in 1964.

joonyer
07-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the interesting Tinkerbell Trivia.! :geek2:

garymacd
07-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Hmm. Facial hair and men playing Tinkerbell.

Spoiler Alert!

A co-worker of mine became a CM in university. He was studying accounting and hated it, so this became a way to get out of school (sort of) and get his parents off his back at the same time. Since he has a fairly dark countenance and a very thick, fast-growing beard, he was often approached by his supervisor with razor and shave cream in hand half-way through his shift and told to shave.

One night at the end of our shift, we were enjoying a few adult recreational beverages and he let slip the following story. One afternoon near the end of his internship and after his shift at EPCOT, he went to meet some CM friends at MK.

A supervisor who knew him well and knew his background, approached him and said that Tinkerbell was not able to go on and asked if he would like to fill in. Being a young and immortal guy - as we all were in our 20's - he said yes, got a "crash" course in being Tink and safety and off he went.

Be careful what you say when you go out with your co-workers for some adult beverages. He has never lived that story down. Whenever any of us go to WDW now, we come back with something Tink for him.

MickeysBestPal
07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
There is no way that they would allow this to happen.

Spoiler Alert!

A co-worker of mine became a CM in university. He was studying accounting and hated it, so this became a way to get out of school (sort of) and get his parents off his back at the same time. Since he has a fairly dark countenance and a very thick, fast-growing beard, he was often approached by his supervisor with razor and shave cream in hand half-way through his shift and told to shave.

One night at the end of our shift, we were enjoying a few adult recreational beverages and he let slip the following story. One afternoon near the end of his internship and after his shift at EPCOT, he went to meet some CM friends at MK.

A supervisor who knew him well and knew his background, approached him and said that Tinkerbell was not able to go on and asked if he would like to fill in. Being a young and immortal guy - as we all were in our 20's - he said yes, got a "crash" course in being Tink and safety and off he went.

Be careful what you say when you go out with your co-workers for some adult beverages. He has never lived that story down. Whenever any of us go to WDW now, we come back with something Tink for him.

A Big Kid
07-03-2012, 05:54 PM
There is no way that they would allow this to happen.

I concur. I am not doubting that he told the story. I am doubting that the story is true.

Aurora
07-03-2012, 05:57 PM

Spoiler Alert!

Sounds like your co-worker is quite the raconteur. ;)

DonLefNY
07-04-2012, 11:47 AM
I've taken 3 Keys to the Kingdom tours and the guides have mentioned that at times there have been "Tinkerbills" but there were none flying at the time.

disneylovinmom
09-28-2012, 09:40 AM
We went on 07 and Tink was a man. We stood on the bridge and Tink flew right over us and was fairly close. My little girl even yelled "Hey! That was a man!"

ANG
09-28-2012, 01:37 PM
This is all very interesting to me! I've seen wishes 3 times and never seen Tink. Maybe we will this year.

Lindsey310
09-28-2012, 02:42 PM
When I was on the KTTK tour, someone asked about Tink. Our guide told us that there is a very small window when it comes to wind that she can fly in. I believe the wind must be 5MPH or less. Anything more and it's too dangerous. She lands on a backstage rooftop in Tomorrowland where there are 2 CM's waiting to catch her, as well as a big mattress-like pad she can slam into if they miss. He also mentioned that she's one of the highest paid CM's at WDW, due to the extreme danger of her performance.

Wow this is very interesting!!!!! I would love to do this tour...it's now on my to do list!!!:mickey:

Lindsey310
09-28-2012, 02:44 PM
:funny:
We went on 07 and Tink was a man. We stood on the bridge and Tink flew right over us and was fairly close. My little girl even yelled "Hey! That was a man!"

This is hysterical lol!!!!!!!

DisneyDawgette
09-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Does Tink fly for Halowishes? I've seen her for Wishes, but I didn't know if they changed everything during MNSSHP!

MickeysBestPal
09-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Does Tink fly for Halowishes? I've seen her for Wishes,

but I didn't know if they changed everything during MNSSHP!

They change everything in the fireworks show for MNSSHP and
change it all again for MVMHP.

They are three completely different shows.