PDA

View Full Version : Baby's 1st haircut

Joannelet
06-26-2012, 06:44 AM
In Sept. my little man will be 8 months old and i am planning on taking him for his first haircut on Main Street. I have a few questions. Does the shop open when the park does? Is there a better time to go where the lines can be shorter or is your best bet to get there first thing in the morning? How long is it open for (closes with park hours or earlier?)
Reservations cannot be made for this correct? It is first come first serve type of thing?
I would appreciate any input.

VWL Mom
06-26-2012, 07:16 AM
The hours for the barber shop are 9A - 6P. Shorter wait times are usually first thing in the morning and during the parades. Advance appointments can be made through Disney dining (children's services) or through guest services at your resorts. Same day appointments are not accepted.

Joannelet
06-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Do you know how far in advance you can book?

Pirate Granny
06-26-2012, 11:50 AM
My granddaughter just had her haircut cast week there, I know they made a reservation 2 weeks before our trip. It was so cute. They gave her a Mickey ears hat, with first haircut written on the back, and save a locket of hair in a special little bag. It was too cute!

DisnIse
06-27-2012, 03:09 PM
All three of my boys had their first haircut on Main Street, by Michael. He is fantastic - really patient and he even gave tips about when and where to take pictures along the way. We were really lucky with DS#1 because the barber shop quartet actually came in and sang to him during his haircut.

Too cute, but too bad DS#1 was fairly oblivious to the whole thing!!!

teamblackwell
06-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Do you know how far in advance you can book?

We have a first haircut reservation for Sept. It was made several weeks ago.

disneynarula
06-28-2012, 08:25 AM
How much does it cost?

VWL Mom
07-04-2012, 08:12 AM
How much does it cost?

The First Haircut Package is $18 and comes with a certificate and a set of Mickey ears with 1st haircut printed on the back.

A regular kid's cut is $15

AmandaChan
07-04-2012, 11:03 AM
one of our best memories having ds hair cut at 13 months!! dh and i actually went out by ourselves to the park without the rest of our big group and we left the park for the resort early mid day and i just assumed the line would be too long to get his hair cut, but we checked it out and there was only like one person ahead of us. $18 last year for 'first haircut' mickey ears, hair cut, they package his first hairs, and they give you a certificate. penny did our son's and she made his hair so freaking cute. i wish i could post a picture on here. but we always compare his other haircuts to hers and they're never good enough! i hope i can hold out on dd's first haircut until she is 2.5 years old so she can get her first there. i'm wondering if the reservation thing is new, b/c i didn't think i could make one last year but it could have always been that way and i just missed something. if you're wanting to wait in line whenever you want i would recommend waiting until midday like we did and not early morning, unless you're at rope drop and you don't have to rush to an attraction and you can take your time. maybe you can get someone in your party to go and collect fast passes while you wait in line? or i guess you can just make a reservation. haha.

AmandaChan
07-04-2012, 11:10 AM
The First Haircut Package is $18 and comes with a certificate and a set of Mickey ears with 1st haircut printed on the back.

A regular kid's cut is $15

i know the price has gone up in recent years (of course, it is disney world) but that is still an awesome deal. i didn't realize you get mickey ears and i almost got ds some before we decided to get his haircut, and i am so glad we didn't! here in ohio at a kid's barber shop they charge 14$ for a cut. and it is never that great, they hire young girls that are just starting out and it's always choppy. that's like $4 for printed mickey ears, certificate, them to package the hair, and the experience!!! oh and you can throw the tip on there to, but we do that here also anyways.

Tri Minnie
07-04-2012, 11:18 AM
My oldest son just had his first haircut here last Saturday. We were just a walk in, as we were unable to secure a reservation a few days earlier. Looking back, I am glad we were not held to a reservation, because the first time we went on Friday, he wanted nothing to do with it. He is almost 2 (it took him a long time to get hair), and I think he was nervous.

On Friday when we tried, my sons and I went right at opening, while my husband and DD headed to the barnstormer :) We waited about 10 minutes before our turn. Despite bringing out bubbles, stickers, and fun fans, DS was quite unhappy. I decided not to push it. They recommended trying another time, maybe after lunch and a nap.

Well the next day we were getting ready to head back to the resort to fly home. We were passing by MK to catch a bus, and we had a little spare time. I suggested trying the haircut again, as DS had just had a nap and lunch. It was around 2:00, and we only waited 5 minutes. I am so glad we tried again. Mary Lou was fantastic and the haircut is amazing. Even during a busy time walking in worked really well for us. I hope it works out for you. We will definitely be going back!

Jeri
07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
We did this with my youngest son back in 2004.
I am so glad we did, it was an amazing experience.
We had a early breakfast at Crystal Palace before park opening, and then when we were almost done I took DS and went down there while my husband stayed to pay the bill.
By the time they got there we were next. I think there was maybe 3 people ahead of us and we had got there about 10 minutes after opening. I am glad we got there when we did, because by the time we left there were many waiting.
Also they asked if our oldest son & stepson were getting haircuts as well. We had oldest DS het a haircut with red gel & mickey confetti, and Stepson had just red gel and mickey confetti.

Urbss
07-06-2012, 10:53 PM
You can call (407) 939-3463 to make reservations.

One thing I want to mention, because we very rarely use any cash in the Disney Parks (either our Disney Rewards Visa or our Key to the World Card). I believe you can only tip in cash - and from my experience with the folks at the Harmony Barber Shop - you will want to give them a nice tip!!

Have fun, my DS will be about 14 months when we go at the end of November and we are looking forward to him getting his first haircut then (we already have reservations).

Joannelet
09-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks everyone! I just booked it today and we cannot wait! :) i will definitely update everyone in my trip report how it went when we return. So excited! I wanted to do this for my first son but his was so long I couldnt wait any longer or my hubby was going to throw a fit! This time I talked my hubby into letting me hold off till Disney! He said yes! :) hopefully afterwards people will stop calling my son a beautiful baby girl lol. :)

Disney Doll
09-05-2012, 10:05 AM
I just wanted to chime in to say what a fantastic experience the 1st haircut is. The entire staff is just awesome with kids and it's a fun Disney memory. It's an amazing value and one of the little extras that makes Disney so special. We did it with both of our boys without appointments and didn't wait long either time.