PDA

View Full Version : Input about Frontier Airlines

MNNHFLTX
06-25-2012, 04:45 PM
After being a loyal Continental (now United) customer for many years, I am now considering flying Frontier for at least a portion of our trip up to Yellowstone in August. This would save us a lot of money and the flight times are more in line with our itinerary. However, I know nothing about this airline! I would love opinions, information, etc. so that I can make this decision. Thanks!

BrerGnat
06-25-2012, 05:30 PM
DH flew on Frontier a few times a couple years ago. He had nothing negative to say about it. It's like Southwest, sort of. It's a very popular airline out of CA to different locations.

Ed
06-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Beth, I've only flown them once, MCO/DEN/MCO. All in all, it was a totally satisfactory experience. Their Airbus aircraft was clean and comfortable. Each seat had a TV monitor. Service at the airport and aboard the flight was very good. Flights departed and arrived on time. I don't recall any maddening extra fees, but then again this was about 6 years ago.

Tick-Tock
06-26-2012, 12:22 AM
We hadn't used Frontier for awhile, but just within the last month flew it DEN-DCA round trip and DEN-MSP one-way. Overall I like Frontier. Both trips were relatively pleasant experiences.

I don't particularly care for the fare structure; if you choose the economy fare, you're paying extra for luggage, etc. (we generally prefer Southwest, where the first two bags are included even in the cheapest fare). It puts a little stress on the initial booking decision -- choose wrong and it will cost you, one way or another.

One small irritation I've always had is that it's an extra fee to use the seatback TVs. And just an FYI, some Frontier flights (like the early-morning DEN-MSP) are on smaller airplanes operated by Republic Airlines. They don't have the TVs (and don't fit larger rolling bags in their overhead bins that otherwise might be carried on).

We chose Frontier to DCA because Southwest doesn't fly there, and to MSP because the fare and the schedule worked out well. Honestly, I'm not a big United fan, and I'd probably choose Frontier over United, all things being equal. If the fares and the schedule work for you, then I don't know of any reason you shouldn't fly Frontier.